Portal 2 PC User Review Backlash

10 hours+ for a single player game that relies on puzzles and humor(the humor in this game is pure gold BTW, the voice acting is genius and genuine. The bots also feel and look more alive than animated humans) is amazingly good.

I would have to disagree here.

I expect to get more than 10 hours of entertainment out of any game I buy.

Sadly this is the direction Valve has gone with their own titles, and it started once they started releasing the Episodes for HL2.

The original HL2 I got almost 20 hours out of. (according to Steam)

Episode one was over in 3.5 hours and episode 2 in about 5.

I expect to get about 20 hours out of a single player game I pay money for (unless its strategy like the Civilization series, in which hundreds of hours is the expectation. Steam tells me I've played about 200 hours of Civ 4 and about 80 hours of Civ 5)

Multi player games are different. Counter-Strike I must have gotten over a thousand hours out of thus far, but its a guess, as I started playing long before steam started tracking game time. Since they started tracking in mid 2009, I've put in about 150 hours, and I don't play CS even close to as much as I used to when it came out (and I was in college and had all the time in the world :p)

In a way - as much as I would hate it - it almost would almost seem fair if Steam switched to a "pay by hour" scheme rather than a upfront investment model, as that would reward manufacturers of games that last longer...

I don't understand why people are angry that Portal 2 is a console port solely due to a string of text.

Zarathustra[H];1037144430 said:

I do recall when EP1 came out that there were forum discussions on whether or not it was anything but just a massive price increase per hour of time spent in game.

I know plenty of people who took this as evidence of "the game manufacturers are trying to screw us over, so I'm just going to pirate everything from now on". I'm not one of them, but I think it served to royally piss people off to the point where they may have lost long term because of it.

I would have to disagree here.

Sadly this is the direction Valve has gone with their own titles, and it started once they started releasing the Episodes for HL2.

I expect to get about 20 hours out of a single player game I pay money for (unless its strategy like the Civilization series, in which hundreds of hours is the expectation. Steam tells me I've played about 200 hours of Civ 4 and about 80 hours of Civ 5)

Multi player games are different. Counter-Strike I must have gotten over a thousand hours out of thus far, but its a guess, as I started playing long before steam started tracking game time. Since they started tracking in mid 2009, I've put in about 150 hours, and I don't play CS even close to as much as I used to when it came out (and I was in college and had all the time in the world :p)

In a way - as much as I would hate it - it almost would almost seem fair if Steam switched to a "pay by hour" scheme rather than a upfront investment model, as that would reward manufacturers of games that last longer...

Exactly how many times did you play through HL2? My first playthrough probably took under ten hours. I know I'll be running through Portal 2 co-op a few times and I know I will play through the SP a few times over the years.

...it almost would almost seem fair if Steam switched to a "pay by hour" scheme rather than a upfront investment model, as that would reward manufacturers of games that last longer...

That would essentially kill the single player game. No one would want to take the risk and pay the costs to develop a game that would be worth it to them. You would see more and more muliplayer games with an extremely short single player on it that would feel slapped on.

Besides, do you know what my TF2 bill would be?! ;)

So you buy, what, 2 games a year? :D

Try to make a list of games with single player campaigns longer than 10 hours without listing RPG's or anything that has multiplayer. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Here is my only question: Does this game give ANY HINT WHATSOEVER about Half-Life 2 Episode 3 or even Half-Life 3?

Thx!!!

anything that has multiplayer

(By this, I mean shooters/deathmatch, CTF etc.)

P2 has co-op which lumps in some more time.
Most SP or story-driven games do not have co-op or competitive multiplayer.

Say what you like about Crysis and Crytek... I think they did the industry some good. EVERY console port that comes out since Crysis II is lamented upon for being a console port. PC gamers are finally starting to voice their opinion and affirm their market.

Valve needs to go back to their old pricing scheme of pricing the games according to their actual content. Portal 2 is in my opinion NOT worth $50. It seems valve has hopped on the "lets price all games at $50 or more regardless of content" bandwagon. I believe Portal 2 is a solid $30 but that's just my opinion.

I have not bought the game, but I have played the original and really liked it.
I very much remember Valve saying that Portal 1 was just a "training ground" or similar wording about Portal 1, hinting that the second game would be much more difficult...

But most PC users are saying that the complexity of the rooms have been brought down, and that there is no longer any extremely accurate timing or aiming required like there was in the first game where you had to get multiple portals right while you where in the air sometimes.

This trailer is from last year, a promotion for Portal 2, it shows what I am speaking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcf99_DZZew&feature=player_detailpage#t=47s

If I'm reading the comments right then the Portal 2 that was released was "dumbed down" from this, I guess to cater better to the controllers on a console not offering anywhere near the level of precision a mouse + keyboard offers...

Say what you like about Crysis and Crytek... I think they did the industry some good. EVERY console port that comes out since Crysis II is lamented upon for being a console port. PC gamers are finally starting to voice their opinion and affirm their market.

PC gamers were bitching about every tiny detail long before Crysis 2. All its done is give self-entitled people (I'd love to say the real word I'm thinking of, but I'll save myself a warning) a voice.

Portal 2 is LONGER than the original by more than 50%, and that's just the single player. The co-op adds hours more still. And the DLC is just TF2 style hats and skins and crap. Nothing that effects gameplay in any way.

Please don't talk out of your ass.

Excuse me?

Yes, Portal 2 is longer than Portal.

Portal 2 is FAR FAR FAR shorter than Orange Box.

For $50 this year I got Portal 2.

For $50 a few years ago I got Half-life 2, HL2: EP 1 + EP2, TF2, and Portal

Now, can you honestly tell me with a straight face, that the $50 you spent for Portal 2 gave you more gaming value for your dollar than the Orange box?

The game is a console port. Why? It's to damn easy. Still a fun game, but I am very glad I only paid $35 for it.

I have not bought the game, but I have played the original and really liked it.
I very much remember Valve saying that Portal 1 was just a "training ground" or similar wording about Portal 1, hinting that the second game would be much more difficult...

But most PC users are saying that the complexity of the rooms have been brought down, and that there is no longer any extremely accurate timing or aiming required like there was in the first game where you had to get multiple portals right while you where in the air sometimes.

This trailer is from last year, a promotion for Portal 2, it shows what I am speaking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcf99_DZZew&feature=player_detailpage#t=47s

If I'm reading the comments right then the Portal 2 that was released was "dumbed down" from this, I guess to cater better to the controllers on a console not offering anywhere near the level of precision a mouse + keyboard offers...

I agree with everything, seeing that video I can see why valve decided to dumb it down. Theres no way the console could have levels like that playable with a controller. I tried P2 on the 360 and the controls are super sluggish and makes a few of the puzzles a challenge because of it. It's a shame really that they went that route but anything for money I guess.

And, as evidenced here, they'll go one step better and complain about console ports that aren't actually console ports.

Ya no i wouldnt have cared IF IT DIDNT COST 50 FUCKIN BUCKS!!!!! I mean give me options if i have to shell out 50 for a PORT OF THE PS3 AND 360! Its ultimatly BULLSHIT.

The only problems I really have with the game is that it's mildly unstable on my rig (which I've been able to troubleshoot), and the menus seem obviously inspired by a gamepad (too many clicks to get where I need to and set what I want).

As for the saving screen, well, that's what the quick save is there for. I press F6 (default) and have never seen that screen. The fact that there even is a quick save tells me it's more than just a port.

Obvious troll is obvious.

So you're comparing 1 game at $50 to a bundle of 4 games for $50, the latter of which (Portal) was thrown in as "filler" that they didn't think anyone would give a crap about.

But please, do continue comparing apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

As for the Joystiq and RPS...

I just can't agree with them. Now, I've never hid the fact that I'm not a Valve fan. You can check any of my posts about Half Life or Portal, or whatever, and see it for yourself.

Still, similar to another post other players have made, if this was any other company than Valve, what would the response have been?

Crytek was slammed badly for having a day 1 "Press the Start Button", yet we're told to overlook the whole "Don't turn off the console".

We're also told that anyone who thinks it is a console port is retarded. Just what defines or doesn't define a console port? Simplification is one, but Portal was never a complex game to begin with. Sooner or later, you just can't simplify. At least with Crysis, the lower end graphics from a company known for pushing computers was another excuse. But once again, Valve never was on the cutting edge of technology. Dragon Age 2 though looks significantly better than Dragon Age 1. That to me leaves DLC, which Valve has, just like everyone else. I've already stated my opinion on the ARG, which I thought was pointless and targetted the gullible and ignorant.

Now, I'm not stating Portal 2 is a miserable failure. It's a decent game. I've already made my statement that I think length in games is overblown. Money should be related to the enjoyment factor, and not artificial length. I wouldn't state that it's game of the year though.

Maybe it's because I'm not a fanboy that I see the same idiocy coming from Valve fans that I see coming from the fans of console games we love to mock, like Halo or CoD. I'm just more interested though in what Valve has done to get its free pass from the community.

Err.....5 games at $50. [sorry....been awhile since I played HL2+the eps]

For a game that takes 6-8 hrs it seems a bit over priced since after you beat a puzzle there isnt much re playability, in my experience that is. As for the cool co-op mode, you can only kill your partner so many time before it looses its appeal. Personally ill wait till its on sale for under 10 bux.

This is no story because there is no backlash. A select few does not make a majority and the overwhelming majority of purchaser are quite happy with the PC game. [H]ard up for news so we'll just stir something up. Lame.

We keep price it at $50, but already know its $44 on new-egg. You can get it $50 for both ps3 or xbox on new-egg. The question i have is will it go down again sometime soon?

Excuse me?

Yes, Portal 2 is longer than Portal.

For $50 this year I got Portal 2.

For $50 a few years ago I got Half-life 2, HL2: EP 1 + EP2, TF2, and Portal

Now, can you honestly tell me with a straight face, that the $50 you spent for Portal 2 gave you more gaming value for your dollar than the Orange box?

You do realize that Portal was only on the Orange Box because it was a test. Valve didn't think it would sell. Sure they liked what they had but they weren't sure if the public would. So it was "tossed in" on the Orange Box.

Portal 2 is more than just a sequel but it is also a fully flushed out game. Improved greatly in every way over the “test” and marketed on its own.

Obvious troll is obvious.

So you're comparing 1 game at $50 to a bundle of 4 games for $50, the latter of which (Portal) was thrown in as "filler" that they didn't think anyone would give a crap about.

But please, do continue comparing apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

How is comparing what you get for your money trolling?

It's still $50. I guess its easier to call me a troll, than to find an example of a modern game that gives you more for the money than games past. I'm suprised so few people value their money around here. Games used to provide far more value per dollar than they do now. Map editors, modding tools, private servers are all slowly becoming a thing of the past for cheap dlc and yet most people ignore it and suck it up.

So again, $50 is $50. And years ago, $50 bought you 5 games instead of 1. Thanks for proving my point.

I have not seen this at ALL in the PC version.

The screen is there, but the difference is that on your PC, most likely it's saving so quickly that you'll never get more than a glimpse of it at best.

I don't mind auto-save on the PC because of this reason, but on consoles, I prefer it to be off. It's also a reason why I'd love certain games which are console exclusive to come over to the PC, such as MLB: The Show. A great game for baseball fans that would be so much better if the 5 mins of loading between games could be turned into 5 seconds on any modern computer.

You do realize that Portal was only on the Orange Box because it was a test. Valve didn't think it would sell. Sure they liked what they had but they weren't sure if the public would. So it was "tossed in" on the Orange Box.

Portal 2 is more than just a sequel but it is also a fully flushed out game. Improved greatly in every way over the “test” and marketed on its own.

Yes of course it was. I was simply comparing the amount of gaming value you get for $50 today, compared to 4 years ago.

One thing that kills me about this being a console port is that the loading is no longer seamless. I have never played a valve game with loading screens. (Besides TF2 between matches of course).

We keep price it at $50, but already know its $44 on new-egg. You can get it $50 for both ps3 or xbox on new-egg. The question i have is will it go down again sometime soon?

It was selling earlier this weekend for $35. I believe it was off Amazon.

No, No, No, No, and No.

Portal was based off Narbacular Drop, it was already established as a puzzle platformer. Valve thought it was a good idea and hired these guys to make Portal. They knew it would sell but back then valve was a great company full of decent guys trying to help out the little people and get them noticed. Not anymore...

"I swear, no company gets shat on by its fans more than Valve, and it seems that it's solely due to the fact that Valve actually treats its customers well."

^This.

I don't get what the big deal about in-game stores is. So what if other people want to blow their money on useless crap? It makes the game developer more money and costs you nothing...not seeing a problem here.

What makes people think this is a console port? And what is so bad about that?
The only reasons I dislike console ports is because they usually have worse graphics (with no options to modify graphics settings beyond hi-med-low), and they have few options to modify the control setup. Portal 2 doesn't have any of those problems.

How is comparing what you get for your money trolling?

It's still $50. I guess its easier to call me a troll, than to find an example of a modern game that gives you more for the money than games past. I'm suprised so few people value their money around here. Games used to provide far more value per dollar than they do now. Map editors, modding tools, private servers are all slowly becoming a thing of the past for cheap dlc and yet most people ignore it and suck it up.

So again, $50 is $50. And years ago, $50 bought you 5 games instead of 1. Thanks for proving my point.

You're forgetting that none of the games in the Orange Box were new.

Im all for consol ports, my dual 5850 eyefinity in crossfire has no problem playing these games! No need to upgrade......forever.....sigh....

Back