Portal 2 Best Buy PS3/360 - $45, PC $35

So if I preordered mine from Bestbuy.com on 4/15 I will get a $10 giftcard in my e-mail along with another $10 RZ points???
Holy crap the total price ends up being $17.44!!!

Something can't be right.
Relax, you'll get your $10 worth of RZ points(500), as long as you have an RZ account AND are enrolled in Gamers Club. (If your bestbuy.com account wasn't linked to your RZ account you may need to add the purchase manually to your RZ account once you pick up your game and the purchase is completed)

I can understand the skepticism on this. However, speaking as a serial rapist of Best Buy RZ promotions, I'm confident you'll get both your $10 GC and your 500 RZ points. :D

I ordered mine before the $10 GC and just got an email about the promotion and that they were giving me a $10 digital giftcard instead since I'm a "value customer". Nice!

Nice deal. Looking at the Best Buy one for PC/Mac at $34.99 with a free $10 Best Buy gift card. I live in L.A., tax came to $2.89 and $2.99 standard shipping (4 to 8 business days, includes 1 day for processing and 3 to 7 days for transit). Total came to $40.87. Seems like a good deal, but I really don't need a Best Buy gift card, and $40 for a game that will probably be on sale for $10 in the fall seems a bit silly.

wow. I'll bet you $500 this game will not be on sale for $10 anytime in 2011

its already at an effective 17 dollars day of release, so dropping 10 more some time doesnt seem too far off.

anyways, i just got back from bestbuy, since i couldnt order it online. a ton of copies of the game in the back room, but theyre out of the preorder slip, so they wouldnt sell me a preorder... they did say this promo price + gift card + rewardzone price is the standard price for the week.

Anybody know if you have to be a member of Best Buy Rewards Zone GAMERS CLUB or just Rewards Zone? It says on the website that you have to be a member of gamers club, but I can't figure out how to register. The FAQ points me to https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/earning/gamersclub/ to become a GAMERS CLUB member, but it just tells me I'm not authorized.

Best buy sucks.

its already at an effective 17 dollars day of release, so dropping 10 more some time doesnt seem too far off.

anyways, i just got back from bestbuy, since i couldnt order it online. a ton of copies of the game in the back room, but theyre out of the preorder slip, so they wouldnt sell me a preorder... they did say this promo price + gift card + rewardzone price is the standard price for the week.
That's not how Valve game sales have ever worked. They have an effective floor on their pricing that regardless of the sales the price never really drops below. Yes, it will probably be $15-20 bucks by the end of year blow-out sale but you're not really saving anything for waiting those 8 months.

More importantly, the PS3 version isn't going to drop like the PC versions. After sales tax and shipping, BB ($52-$20 BB bucks delivered) isn't any less expensive than Amazon's pre-order deal ($54-$20 amazon bucks delivered). It makes no sense to cancel a PS3 amazon pre-order and get it at BB (even ignoring the fact that amazon bucks are better than BB bucks in every way, imo).

Is pretty easy to convert BB bucks into Amazon bucks. Just buy Amazon Kindle GC's @BB, as they work for everything at @Amazon.

Wait this seriously will work as just a standard amazon gift card? As soon as I get the rewards zone gift card I will have to do this as I would much rather have it as Amazon money.

[AK]Zip;1037134616 said:
Wait this seriously will work as just a standard amazon gift card? As soon as I get the rewards zone gift card I will have to do this as I would much rather have it as Amazon money.
Sure does.

There are two minor drawbacks to this to keep in mind:

1. BB only sells these in-strore, not online.(they're usually hanging someplace very close to their kindle section)

2. The lowest Amazon Kindle GC denomination BB carries is $25.

that's not what you said

I never said it wasn't.

Yes, it will probably be $15-20 bucks by the end of year blow-out sale but you're not really saving anything for waiting those 8 months.

Yes you are. You'd be saving $15-$25 (assuming it actually somehow dropped to those price points). Now, is it worth waiting? That's totally subjective of course. I loved Portal, and I plan on getting Portal 2 sometime, but I'm not in any hurry to play it. And I'm confident it will drop in price at least $10 by the end of 2011.

Sure does.

There are two minor drawbacks to this to keep in mind:

1. BB only sells these in-strore, not online.(they're usually hanging someplace very close to their kindle section)

2. The lowest Amazon Kindle GC denomination BB carries is $25.

I don't mind going to pick it up in store since it isn't far from me and an extra $5 in order to get that money into Amazon instead of Best Buy is worth it to me. There is always something worth buying on Amazon. I actually have $152 on there now. :D

Thanks I do appreciate the info.

Is there a confirmation that I will get the 500 RZ points? I didnt see anything anywhere

I'm curious, as I've never used RZ or GC points before.

You guys are saying with the RZ and GC points it brings the price down to $15-17. Can you somehow apply these points to the current order (in this case Portal 2) or you mean that's $20 off your next purchase at BB so basically you're saving $20?

I'm curious, as I've never used RZ or GC points before.

You guys are saying with the RZ and GC points it brings the price down to $15-17. Can you somehow apply these points to the current order (in this case Portal 2) or you mean that's $20 off your next purchase at BB so basically you're saving $20?

You won't be able to redeem for the RZ points until like 30 days after your order is completed.

You won't be able to redeem for the RZ points until like 30 days after your order is completed.

Ahh I see, thanks I didn't know that.

Well it's $40 on steam, so $40 at BB plus a $10 GC gift card and $10 in RZ points 30 days later is better than nothing.

So I forgot I had a $25 gamestop giftcard. So I can get it instore for $25 + $25 giftcard at game stop or $35 -$10 (potentially $20 with rewardszone) in bb giftcards. Less up front at gamestop but I could always sell the giftcard for say $20 and that makes it only $15 upfront at best buy. Hmm.. Less hassle to do it at gamestop but alot cheaper and with giftcards at bb. Ill probably stick with my bestbuy order.

I never said it wasn't.

Yes you are. You'd be saving $15-$25 (assuming it actually somehow dropped to those price points). Now, is it worth waiting? That's totally subjective of course. I loved Portal, and I plan on getting Portal 2 sometime, but I'm not in any hurry to play it. And I'm confident it will drop in price at least $10 by the end of 2011.
how are you saving anything if the retail price drops by $10? what if it drops by 75%?

the absolute best sale you can hope for is %75 off. I doubt it will be that deep of a discount, but whatever, it doesn't matter. But that will be %75 off *retail*, which will still be no more than %50 off from the current price. It'll probably drop to $30 in a few months, maybe 4th of july sale, and then end of year sale will be something like $15.

But since it's near that price by a couple dollars, it doesn't make any sense to try and defend the argument that you're "saving" anything.

how are you saving anything if the retail price drops by $10? what if it drops by 75%?

the absolute best sale you can hope for is %75 off. I doubt it will be that deep of a discount, but whatever, it doesn't matter. But that will be %75 off *retail*, which will still be no more than %50 off from the current price. It'll probably drop to $30 in a few months, maybe 4th of july sale, and then end of year sale will be something like $15.

But since it's near that price by a couple dollars, it doesn't make any sense to try and defend the argument that you're "saving" anything.

This really isn't that difficult to understand dude. If you buy it now at $50, you'll be spending a total of $50. If you buy it later at $40, you'll be spending a total of $40. How aren't you saving $10? Saved money is saved money regardless of the period of time. And why are you saying "it's near that price by a couple of dollars"? $15 is nothing like $50.

But I'm still willing to bet the price will drop by at least $10 by the end of the year. And as I said multiple times already, I'm willing to wait for that because I'm in no hurry to play the game. I find it very entertaining that you're trying to argue with me that I won't be saving money by buying it cheaper later on, instead of spending full retail price right now. I'm not criticizing you or anyone else who bought the game early. I'm just not in a hurry to play it.

For those still with questions about the Amazon Kindle GC's BB sells, here's a pic of one I purchased with a BB GC. I promptly went home and used it when purchasing a 4g iPod Touch from Amazon. Worked like a charm.

amazonv.jpg

Note the print at the bottom of the card.

This really isn't that difficult to understand dude. If you buy it now at $50, you'll be spending a total of $50. If you buy it later at $40, you'll be spending a total of $40. How aren't you saving $10? Saved money is saved money regardless of the period of time. And why are you saying "it's near that price by a couple of dollars"? $15 is nothing like $50.

But I'm still willing to bet the price will drop by at least $10 by the end of the year. And as I said multiple times already, I'm willing to wait for that because I'm in no hurry to play the game. I find it very entertaining that you're trying to argue with me that I won't be saving money by buying it cheaper later on, instead of spending full retail price right now. I'm not criticizing you or anyone else who bought the game early. I'm just not in a hurry to play it.
Because it's not $50!
What is wrong with you?

It's $45 - $20 for the PC version at BB. That's $25 not $50. If it drops $10 by the end of the year, it will still be $35, which is $10 more than you can buy it for now! That's why you won't be saving anything...

Or if you're talking about the PS3 version, that's $35 at BB after the $20 off. It's $35 at Amazon after the $20 incentive. It'll never be that cheap for the PS3 version again until the used copies start rolling out and their Steam code will be redeemed already so it'll be more expensive then, too.

It *might* get discounted enough to actually be around the same price it is now by the end of the year, but it's not going to be *cheaper* than what you can get it for with the pre-order bonuses. No one is spending $50 dollars to buy Portal 2 right now, you are basing your argument on a straw-man.

I had no option for pick up in store, said not available. The $10 GC card shipped already, though Portal 2 is on back order. I wonder how long this is going to take.

No offense man, but what are you talking about? With the Best Buy deal the PC version was $35 with $20 back ($10 gift card, $10 Reward Zone), so if you pre-ordered it through them, you effectively got it for $17-$18 after tax. Not $50. That's what he means when he says that you weren't saving any money by waiting. It was as cheap yesterday as it's going to get for quite a while.

Not a complicated concept. In fact, it's kind of the entire point of this thread if I'm not mistaken. :D

I picked mine up from best buy around lunch today that I reserved. Almost done downloading now from Steam. :)

AH... why download? why not just install it? It would be a lot faster...

Because it's not $50!
What is wrong with you?

It's $45 - $20 for the PC version at BB. That's $25 not $50. If it drops $10 by the end of the year, it will still be $35, which is $10 more than you can buy it for now! That's why you won't be saving anything...

Or if you're talking about the PS3 version, that's $35 at BB after the $20 off. It's $35 at Amazon after the $20 incentive. It'll never be that cheap for the PS3 version again until the used copies start rolling out and their Steam code will be redeemed already so it'll be more expensive then, too.

It *might* get discounted enough to actually be around the same price it is now by the end of the year, but it's not going to be *cheaper* than what you can get it for with the pre-order bonuses. No one is spending $50 dollars to buy Portal 2 right now, you are basing your argument on a straw-man.

No offense man, but what are you talking about? With the Best Buy deal the PC version was $35 with $20 back ($10 gift card, $10 Reward Zone), so if you pre-ordered it through them, you effectively got it for $17-$18 after tax. Not $50. That's what he means when he says that you weren't saving any money by waiting. It was as cheap yesterday as it's going to get for quite a while.

Not a complicated concept. In fact, it's kind of the entire point of this thread if I'm not mistaken. :D

It's $50 on Steam, and $44.95 on Best Buy right now. That $10 Best Buy card doesn't count toward the $44.95 total. Neither does the $10 Reward Zone. You're getting Best Buy money back, and nothing towards the actual purchase of the game itself. Even after tax (and shipping if you decide to do so) it's roughly $50 from Best Buy. You can look at it however you want, but no matter what, Best Buy is still getting that full amount.

But regardless, my point isn't what the price is now, it's what the price will be later. And as I've said many times already, I'm not in a hurry to play it, so for me waiting is something I'm willing to do. And for the record, I'm only talking about the PC/Mac version.

Back