POLL: Do you shut-down or let sleep?

Shut down mostly.

My DFI eXpert (still my main) wont go into any sleep modes.

For my netbook if i dont plan on using it. it goes into sleep as well. Usually ill shut down at night though recently ive just been leaving it in s3.

i shut it down when i go to sleep, put on sleep when im away for more than an hour

shut down. It stupidly wakes up randomly if I set it to sleep or hibernate. I disabled it from waking up due to events, outside pings, etc.

yet it still wakes up randomly.

during the day when i am away from the pc for more than 1 hour i put it to sleep
at night or when not using the pc for longer than 6 hours then shut down

otherwise i just leave it alone, the monitor goes into to standby etc

since my pc is in my bedroom i find if difficult to sleep with it on

I put mine on sleep most of the time but it bugs me cause for all my fans stay on in sleep so it seems a waste of power. Ill shut it down every few days to give it a rest.

I bet some aftermarket heatsinks and quiet/low speed fans could solve this for you. I can't hear my PC at all.

I cannot run my PC full blast when I switch all the fans to silent, but it's still "sleepable" (in terms of MY sleeping :p).

Bingo. I think the idea that shutting down will prematurely damage components is something of a myth. In 20+ years of building systems, I've never had a system failure post-initial burn in and OC testing, and I've always shut my systems off at night.

I shut my computer down. Saves on the power bill. :D

I might shut it down for the night once or twice a month and when I am away on business.

As for sleep, its an overclocked Gigabyte motherboard.... S3 resume is not among its bag of tricks.

I use to be all about 24/7 always on. Been that way since the mid 90's.

But recently I have let it sleep overnight unless I am downloading something. No point in running the AC bill up anymore than necessary.

I shut down. I don't really see the point in keeping it on when I'm at work, or when I'm asleep unless I'm downloading something. Electricity bill goes up a reasonable amount when the pc's are on all the time, and it boots so fast now there really is nothing to lose from the shut down.

Always on for the most part, but if the system isn't torrenting or folding when I go to sleep then it gets shut down.

Bingo. I think the idea that shutting down will prematurely damage components is something of a myth. In 20+ years of building systems, I've never had a system failure post-initial burn in and OC testing, and I've always shut my systems off at night.

its not the shutting down thats the problem, its the people that shut down turn on 5 minutes later turn off after being on for 2 minutes then remembering they forgot to check something and turning it back on then turning it off 2 minutes later again. its the on and off constantly that does damage. seen plenty of emachines and other half ass prebuilt system die this way. hell my grandmother's gone through 5 computers because of this exact reason.

Shut down, too easy to knock the mouse around or something and wake it up constantly.

Sleep wastes power. Maybe you guys don't pay your own electric bills or something. Why waste power?

Lately, especially, it helps having an SSD. When you can have firefox open and doing whatever you want with no lag 40 seconds after hitting the power button, you tend to turn it off even more than you used to :D

Occasionally I leave my computer on over night for various reasons.

95% of the time I shut down. Been doing this ever since I started using computers. I haven't had a problem and I usually move on to newer systems/parts anyway to even notice "premature" damage.

if I leave for work I shut down, otherwise up the rest of the day. sleep causes stability or hardware issues so I don't bother with that.

Mine runs 24/7 except when changing hardware or sometimes I shut it down if there's a t-storm headed our way.

Sleep wastes power. Maybe you guys don't pay your own electric bills or something. Why waste power?

Lately, especially, it helps having an SSD. When you can have firefox open and doing whatever you want with no lag 40 seconds after hitting the power button, you tend to turn it off even more than you used to :D

How much power?

How much power?

I think the standby is something like 1/4 the total idle system wattage (don't quote me on that though). Keep in mind, in sleep mode, it has to keep enough power for the RAM to still be on, plus whatever is needed to keep that going.

How much power?

No much. A properly power efficient computer is about $.50 - $1 a month I think.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/169941/why_you_should_use_sleep_mode.html

Says $.25 a month here.

But each device like this is sucking a tiny bit of power, just by being plugged in. Especially rechargeable gadgets.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/vampire-power.htm
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/vampire.html (he links to the below link:

http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html (summary of average power consumption by devices)

As they say here, it's estimated that power usage in the U.S. is between 5% and 25% of your total power usage is being sucked by devices in standby power.

I try to minimize as many of these as possible.

I still have a comp that I built in like 2003 or 02. Has an asus a7n8x, athlon xp 2500+, that kind of stuff. It was my main until this summer. I shut it down and booted it up every day and usually multiple times a day through all these years. It's still working flawlessly, as my lil brother now uses it to play old games. So I'd say the answer is no, shutting down and powering up does nothing to degrade components any more than anything else. I read some article about that, too, a long time ago but have no idea where to find a source now.
EDIT: oh yeah, I did have the original PSU die on me after a few years, though. That's the only component that died.

My assumption is that leaving it on all the time (and in constant use, such as folding, etc) is by far the worst scenario for longevity because of all the heat and currents during use.

As for now, I continue to either shut down or hibernate, practically never sleep. I also think there's no point in wasting extra power even if sleep makes that waste very minimal, because even from a cold boot that extra minute is seriously not a big deal... And hibernate resume cuts that down by like half.

I usually 'sleep' it. The fast boot is nice. Both rigs are near silent, but why bother keeping them running if I'm not using it?

Sleep is also nice because with my WMC remote, I can wake up my HTPC in the bedroom from the living room, where the TV is.

Back