POLL: Do you shut-down or let sleep?

For my laptops, I tend to just close the lids and let them sleep, my main desktop rig gets shut down when I'm away at work and when I go to bed.

On the SSD rig shutdown. It starts up to desktop in 10 seconds anyway. But on the others, sleep.

I remember going a whole month without shutdown or restart, just sleep and hibernate on my laptop. It was hectic school semester. it didnt give any issues.

I let power savings turn off the monitor. Other than that I let the machine run pretty much 24/7.

I shut down and turn off the power strip if the PSU, motherboard, or monitor have junk capacitors in them.

I try to put mine to sleep, but it just wakes on it's own seemingly randomly. I've not figured out why yet, but it's quite annoying :/

I try to put mine to sleep, but it just wakes on it's own seemingly randomly. I've not figured out why yet, but it's quite annoying :/

Yeah this happens to me too, on my WinXP comp. So I pretty much just do hibernate only now. The wait time is not bad with a modern HDD (I have the samsung F3 Spinpoint, 1tb).

Sleep mode mostly. Monthly update shutdown, and restart is about it.

Just curious, what for do you leave it on 24/7?

There's no need for me to sleep it, and it comes on instantly when it doesn't sleep. I'm on/off the computer a lot, so it's nice to know it's right there when I want/need it.

Mostly shut down since i stop playing games (4-5 hours a day to about 2-3 hours a week damn school) but sometimes if i turn it on before school for some work i let it go to sleep so in evening it's ready to go on quick.

one at my work does video recording so it's on 24/7 unless i need to do rewiring or change hardware, it reboots once every two day and that's about it.

Shutdown while im at work for the whole day, hit the power button pretty much right after taking off my shoes and its good to go in a minute or so.

Sleeps automatically after 30m of idle-ness. I also suffer from "computer insomnia" where random wakes are common (Woo). Rarely do I shut down for anything other than weekly updates or software glitches.

Macbook hasn't been shut down in... 317 days, according to terminal :)

I hibernate mine during the day if i'm not using it. At night I shut down. It's more about the saving power thing. My question is is there much difference in savings? I need to get a volt meter to find out.

Hibernate the laptop and leave the desktop on 24/7 botting diablo/seeding torrents. Would save about $150/year if it was off 12 hours a day, big deal.

I don't even do sleep, hibernate or anything like that, I just turn off the monitor and walk away.

What makes me lol is that some server motherboards actually have sleep features on them. WHY would you want that? LOL. I think ESX by default will actually turn off the server if the nic is unplugged. That is hilarious.

I hibernate mine during the day if i'm not using it. At night I shut down. It's more about the saving power thing. My question is is there much difference in savings? I need to get a volt meter to find out.

I wish more people would at least sleep it, preferably hibernate or shut down, instead of wasting electricity all that time when not even using it, like at night. It's really such a tiny inconvenience to turn it on, let alone wake from sleep.

Back