Plex server: NAS vs PC

Centauri

2[H]4U
I've never run a NAS - I've always had my desktop PC running 24/7 for my file needs. But I did just order some larger drives and am now wondering if I should explore a NAS.

I guess my question is - given the fact that my PC is on 24/7 anyways (including using Plex Pass for my OTA TV tuner), what would running networked storage do for me over running the drives out of the PC itself?

I've never run a NAS - I've always had my desktop PC running 24/7 for my file needs. But I did just order some larger drives and am now wondering if I should explore a NAS.

I guess my question is - given the fact that my PC is on 24/7 anyways (including using Plex Pass for my OTA TV tuner), what would running networked storage do for me over running the drives out of the PC itself?
Save you a metric ton of electricity. Likely it would be quieter, smaller, and I like not having my NAS OS being dependent on windows etc. been using a NAS for years and other than the initial price, I have zero complaints. It sips power and runs plex no problem. Well mine does. There are probably cheaper options out there that cannot transcode etc.

Save you a metric ton of electricity. Likely it would be quieter, smaller, and I like not having my NAS OS being dependent on windows etc. been using a NAS for years and other than the initial price, I have zero complaints. It sips power and runs plex no problem. Well mine does. There are probably cheaper options out there that cannot transcode etc.

I agree. I used to run Plex on an i5-8400 and ran with a RAID controller card and various software. I migrated to a Synology NAS. The only thing I wish that Synology would allow me to do is install the program/database/thumbnails on the NVMe drive instead of the spinner. I think QNAP allows that. In terms of performance though, Plex on Synology works just as well as my old setup.

If your PC will be on 24/7 regardless it's hard to justify the expense of adding another NAS just to do the same Plex work. Even if you were to turn off your PC, like when you sleep, the cost/benefit of electricity saved vs NAS cost +it's electricity has to be a fairly long time.

I'm in a similar situation. My PC uses maybe $50/yr in electricity running 24/7 from an electrical use calculator. Even if a NAS saved me $40/yr of that what is the payback period vs NAS + UPS cost? Longer than it's worth to me.

If your PC will be on 24/7 regardless it's hard to justify the expense of adding another NAS just to do the same Plex work. Even if you were to turn off your PC, like when you sleep, the cost/benefit of electricity saved vs NAS cost +it's electricity has to be a fairly long time.

I'm in a similar situation. My PC uses maybe $50/yr in electricity running 24/7 from an electrical use calculator. Even if a NAS saved me $40/yr of that what is the payback period vs NAS + UPS cost? Longer than it's worth to me.

I don't run a Plex server on my main computer nor did I have any interest in doing so even if it was more than capable. If I have to make a purchase anyway for either a secondary computer or a NAS, I think the NAS could definitely be a better option depending on the situation.

Looks like we have a similar dilemma, including the same drives lol.

Unless I get a Nvidia Shield or something I need Plex for OTA recording. I also run Blue Iris on it.

I've always done things pretty basic when it comes to networking and servers, etc. Is there a preferred way to share the drive with others? Like some sort of software? I've not needed to do this often but with the recordings piling up it might be good. I've always just shared drives/folders through Windows built in but am curious if there is another way. I like how NAS's show up as a drive letter and people can just dump things pretty easily on it (at least on the surface, haven't dug too deep into it)

I have solar panels so truthfully don't care about electricity too much, and for me the PC is going to run 24/7 anyway. Just trying to go for the best experience.

I think where I'm running a problem with embracing a Synology is that the hardware is just nowhere near as capable of encoding and transcoding as my desktop system is.

On the flip side, I just got a reminder with my Kill A Watt that turning my PC into a Corsair Christmas tree has a price attached...

I think where I'm running a problem with embracing a Synology is that the hardware is just nowhere near as capable of encoding and transcoding as my desktop system is.

On the flip side, I just got a reminder with my Kill A Watt that turning my PC into a Corsair Christmas tree has a price attached...

Granted it's a weak ass CPU, but as long as you have the ability to do HW transcode (not sure if you still need a Plex Pass for this), it transcodes fine using Quicksync through the Intel IGP (assuming you get an Intel based Synology). I can do 4K streams and multiple 1080p transcodes.

I have a 1019+. The only thing it doesn't do well is subtitles. (If they are burned into the video file, you wouldn't have a problem, but if you are using external subtitles, it can be painful with the buffering).

Overall, I've been surprised at how well the Synology handles transcoding and running Plex in general coming from a full blown PC Plex server.

Back