twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
Here's what I'm building...

i7 930
X58A-UD3R
9800GTX+ 512mb
Corsair HX850w
Corsair Dominators 6gb
Crucial RealSSD C300 x2 (Dual Booting OSX and Windows 7)
WD 1TB Caviar Black

Now, with the first board I was able to install Windows. However, when I proceeded to install OSX (which, I needed to reduce the ram to 4gb) that system shut down. I only got green and yellow lights near the DIMMs. I RMA'd the board. Thinking that I made a mistake in the XMB of the system and figured that my removing of ram caused it. Well, on board 2 and decided to just boot with 2 sticks off the bat. The board says to have them in 3-1 and 3-3 slots. I did that and the system did the same thing. I cannot get it to boot at all. I removed all the sticks and replugged everything in. I'm at a lost.

Follow the steps in the "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" sticky on what to do when the PC does not POST. Come back when you've done all those steps.

Well, the issue is that with 6gb -three sticks - installed the machine booted just fine. However, when I reduce that number to 4gb - two sticks or lower - that machine fizzed out. I don't understand why it did this on two motherboards.

Looks like the slots are labled like this.....

[CPU side here] - 2|1|4|3|6|5

Are those the slots you're using?

I also have an i7 930 and a UD3R and I just installed snow leopard last week, and I just kept 6GB on my board and it ran fine.

Sounds like you just need to find the correct slots (read your manual) and make sure they are properly seated.

I know which are the correct slots. It's 3_1, 3_2, and 3_3. I took out the ram on 2 and 3. The white slots.

I'm just curious why it happened. I can't see how it would be damaging. The manual even said it would be fine to run in the slot 3_1.

Back