Playstation VR price/release announced

with the camera and controllers the price is going to be closer to $500...was hoping for $100 cheaper...at $500 the price is close to the Oculus

Well that blows. No PS Camera or controllers make this a $500 purchase for most people.

with the camera and controllers the price is going to be closer to $500...was hoping for $100 cheaper...at $500 the price is close to the Oculus

Still a decent bit cheaper than Oculus once you add in the Oculus conrollers, but I agree, I was hoping for $399 total.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce an upgraded PS Move controller at E3. Kinda wish I would've picked up a PS camera when they had their Black Friday sales, believe they were $20 less at the time.

Still, a pretty decent price really. Especially when you compare it to its competitors and their needs (ie: high end PC) it doesn't seem awful at all. And the developer support with their 50 games is impressive. All in all, I'm ready to hop aboard the hype train for this guy.

It's too bad they aren't offering all this in a package. Kinda surprised it's as high as it is but I guess we'll see what happens.

It's a surprisingly good price, although not including the "required" camera is bit cheeky. Do loads of people already have them? If it's as successful as Kinect, I'm guessing not.

It's too bad they aren't offering all this in a package. Kinda surprised it's as high as it is but I guess we'll see what happens.

High? it seems close to Rift in specs, plus it includes an extra processing module, and it is still $200 less than the Rift. Seems well priced compared to the competition.

High? it seems close to Rift in specs, plus it includes an extra processing module, and it is still $200 less than the Rift. Seems well priced compared to the competition.
While less than the Rift, it's not $200 less. You buy the PSVR for $400, then you gotta buy the PS Move camera to make it functional for an additional $60 and then, like the Rift, you gotta buy the motion controllers separately though not required.

The Rift's screen is 120x120 higher resolution - Not sure how much of an impact that will actually be, could be more noticeable SDE but I'm not sure anybody has had hands on time with the consumer PSVR to be able to comment.
The Rift's FOV is 10 degrees larger - Again, not sure how much of an impact that will be either.
Not quite sure what the persistence number is actually measuring comparing the PSVR and the Rift. The Rift's wiki says 2ms low persistence whereas the PSVR says 18ms persistence. I'd like to think they are measuring two different things but if they aren't, that could be a big difference.

I guess I was expecting it to be a single purchase item -camera, HMD, motion controls- and be about $400. I understand the reasoning for breaking it up like they did in case someone already has the PS Move and/or motion controls but, I'm just concerned about people being turned off by the feeling of being 'nickled and dimed' to death.

While less than the Rift, it's not $200 less. You buy the PSVR for $400, then you gotta buy the PS Move camera to make it functional for an additional $60 and then, like the Rift, you gotta buy the motion controllers separately though not required.

The Rift's screen is 120x120 higher resolution - Not sure how much of an impact that will actually be, could be more noticeable SDE but I'm not sure anybody has had hands on time with the consumer PSVR to be able to comment.
The Rift's FOV is 10 degrees larger - Again, not sure how much of an impact that will be either.
Not quite sure what the persistence number is actually measuring comparing the PSVR and the Rift. The Rift's wiki says 2ms low persistence whereas the PSVR says 18ms persistence. I'd like to think they are measuring two different things but if they aren't, that could be a big difference.

I guess I was expecting it to be a single purchase item -camera, HMD, motion controls- and be about $400. I understand the reasoning for breaking it up like they did in case someone already has the PS Move and/or motion controls but, I'm just concerned about people being turned off by the feeling of being 'nickled and dimed' to death.

OK, $140 cheaper. Still, the same point applies.

On the resolution front. Sony has RGB pixels and from what I read, the Vive/Rift will have Pentile pixels. I would take 1080 lines of RGB resolution, over 1200 lines of Pentile, every time. Verge lists latency as under 18 ms, not persistence.

If Rift is selling for break-even (as Palmer Luckey claimed) then Sony must be losing money on the PS VR.

MS must be hoping VR gaming doesn't take off, as they would be out of the picture with XB1.

Last edited:
I think I'll end up picking this up before anything for the PC. Sony used tech from thier TV division to work on these LCDs, and early previews say these are great.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Does Rift come with a camera?

If Rift is selling for break-even (as Palmer Luckey claimed) then Sony must be losing money on the PS VR.

Except that Sony has effectively been selling 3 versions of this device for the past four years. They've had their Sony HMD units for sale so the tech in the PS VR is just an extension of this. They have supply chain management and costs down so that they can sell it for less than what rest are doing.

like this
Except that Sony has effectively been selling 3 versions of this device for the past four years. They've had their Sony HMD units for sale so the tech in the PS VR is just an extension of this. They have supply chain management and costs down so that they can sell it for less than what rest are doing.

Sony has been selling VR HMD for years? Or are you claiming Sony can sell a webcam for $140 less than Oculus? Neither really holds up.

Also don't forget Sony has to include an extra processing module as well.

Sony has a long history with HMDs and VR reaserch, no doubt about that, and add the few years they've have had with the camera and move solution, coupled with the fact that devs only need to target ONE platform, and it does give them a pretty edge content-wise. It all makes sense, but I think the biggest surprise is the low cost... and that really seals the deal for many folks who are a bit on the fence about this "VR fad"

All things considered it seems PSVR is much cheaper. PC+Rift/Vive is $1500-1900, PS4+PSVR is, what, $1k? (please clarify)

All things considered it seems PSVR is much cheaper. PC+Rift/Vive is $1500-1900, PS4+PSVR is, what, $1k? (please clarify)

Sounds about right to me. $1500 to get in the door on PC, and closer to $2k for the best experience. PSVR would be somewhere in the $900-1000 in total. The biggest difference is that millions of people already own PS4, so a good chunk of the investment is already made. Not many people own PCs capable of running VR.

Last edited:
It's a surprisingly good price, although not including the "required" camera is bit cheeky. Do loads of people already have them? If it's as successful as Kinect, I'm guessing not.

There is a bundle that will include the camera but those of you complaining about the price are you seriously trying to compare it to the Oculus? Yes it's close to Oculus pricing but a PC powerful enough to run Oculus decently isn't even includedl.

You can find some brand new PS4 deals online for around $310 nowadays. So $400 + $310 + $40 Camera + 2x $20 Move controllers (Gamestop) = So after taxes it's around $850 for the whole thing. For me this is a simple purchase b/c i've already had the PS4 for a year so I ordered my camera this morning, going to Gamestop to pick up some Playstation Move controllers, and just need the PSVR.

The PSVR with Sony's already great number of PS4s already out there will make the PSVR a LOT more appealing for people wanting a quality VR experience than people think... especially on these forums where we tend to want the best in PC gaming. And many people will say that the PSVR won't be as good as the Vive and Oculus as far as fidelity, latency, and quality... but the interactivity of VR and the actual experience of VR balances out the lesser quality visuals... which I contend are still going to be great. I've seen the guys on Tested and many other places say that the PSVR experience is really great... and with so many PS4s already out there I think the PSVR will be much more approachable than any other option which need powerful PCs alongside them to work.

There is a bundle that will include the camera but those of you complaining about the price are you seriously trying to compare it to the Oculus? Yes it's close to Oculus pricing but a PC powerful enough to run Oculus decently isn't even includedl.

You can find some brand new PS4 deals online for around $310 nowadays. So $400 + $310 + $40 Camera + 2x $20 Move controllers (Gamestop) = So after taxes it's around $850 for the whole thing. For me this is a simple purchase b/c i've already had the PS4 for a year so I ordered my camera this morning, going to Gamestop to pick up some Playstation Move controllers, and just need the PSVR.

The PSVR with Sony's already great number of PS4s already out there will make the PSVR a LOT more appealing for people wanting a quality VR experience than people think... especially on these forums where we tend to want the best in PC gaming. And many people will say that the PSVR won't be as good as the Vive and Oculus as far as fidelity, latency, and quality... but the interactivity of VR and the actual experience of VR balances out the lesser quality visuals... which I contend are still going to be great. I've seen the guys on Tested and many other places say that the PSVR experience is really great... and with so many PS4s already out there I think the PSVR will be much more approachable than any other option which need powerful PCs alongside them to work.

We'll see later this year, but I've also read several different sources that have said that the PSVR may have been the best VR experience they tried at whatever show was going on at the time. People saying it's automatically going to be worse because it involves a PS4 instead of a high end PC are jumping the gun a bit. If it's remotely close to on par with Oculus, this will probably sell like hotcakes. I really think if VR is going to have staying power, it's going to be through the PSVR...at least initially.

My question is how will the lower resolution look for VR? And many games won't be capable of running at 1080, so will they be down scaled? That must look rather bad up close. At a distance it might not look too bad and that is how most play consoles normally, but the lower resolutions that close would be interesting to see. Also, I thought VR needed higher frame rates for some reason? Interested to see how this pans out for the PS4.

Peasant VR confirmed, 2 year old developer kit specs confirmed.

If you want VR to succeed at all or have even a remote possibility of going mainstream, you should be cheering Sony on. The PSVR is going to be the most attainable VR experience out there for most people since there are already so many people out there who have PS4s. Just because the specs aren't better doesn't mean VR won't be fun. Think of the Wii. Still was fun to play even with the terrible graphics.

Most people will not be getting the PC VR options, including long-time PC gamers. They're simply too pricey coupled with the fact that you need controllers, space for the Vive (think Kinect), and a powerful computer to be able to play the PC VR games.

If you want VR to succeed at all or have even a remote possibility of going mainstream, you should be cheering Sony on. The PSVR is going to be the most attainable VR experience out there for most people since there are already so many people out there who have PS4s. Just because the specs aren't better doesn't mean VR won't be fun. Think of the Wii. Still was fun to play even with the terrible graphics.

Most people will not be getting the PC VR options, including long-time PC gamers. They're simply too pricey coupled with the fact that you need controllers, space for the Vive (think Kinect), and a powerful computer to be able to play the PC VR games.

If you have both a PC and PS4, I think the PS4 probably makes more sense, for a lot of first generation VR Buyers.

You save a lot on upfront costs. HMD resolution is essentially a wash (Sony is using RGB, Vive/Rift are using Pentile). With the PS VR you are insulated from the upgrade treadmill for many years. VR makers are saying a GTX 970 will be good enough, but that will last maybe 6 months, PS VR won't require HW upgrades for years. Every game will be targetted at your exact HW.

how will the lower resolution look for VR?
Seems to be better than most people expect... that may be more due to the screen/optics though, and the fact that most people go into it with lower expectations when compared to the Rift or Vive...

Seems to be better than most people expect... that may be more due to the screen/optics though, and the fact that most people go into it with lower expectations when compared to the Rift or Vive...

Sony is RGB, Vive/Rift are Pentile.

Pentile loses 33% of subpixles, which make subpixels that much larger, and that much more visible. Some consider Pentile to offer ~30% worse effective resolution.

Pentile 1200 lines -30% effective loss = 840 lines.

RGB 1080 lines with no loss = 1080 lines.

PS VR might even look better than Vive/Rift.

like this

Yeah, and literally every article I have read from gaming websites, youtube channels, and even large publications from the times written by people who have tried the PSVR say it's a great experience, the headset is really comfortable, and there was no motion sickness. Whatever Sony has done should be applauded and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

like this
Yeah, and literally every article I have read from gaming websites, youtube channels, and even large publications from the times written by people who have tried the PSVR say it's a great experience, the headset is really comfortable, and there was no motion sickness. Whatever Sony has done should be applauded and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Yeah, I haven't been excited for my PS4 in awhile, but Playstation VR has me really pumped. Just read an article about how PSVR can also replicate the 'room' experience similar to Vive, which is really cool. I'm hoping Sony will confirm whether or not they're going to release updated Move controllers, I feel comfortable buying a PS Camera, but hesitant on the controllers. They've used the same design since their release and I can't help but feel Sony will release updated controllers for PSVR. Hopefully E3 will have full details of any hardware plans.

Yeah, I haven't been excited for my PS4 in awhile, but Playstation VR has me really pumped. Just read an article about how PSVR can also replicate the 'room' experience similar to Vive, which is really cool. I'm hoping Sony will confirm whether or not they're going to release updated Move controllers, I feel comfortable buying a PS Camera, but hesitant on the controllers. They've used the same design since their release and I can't help but feel Sony will release updated controllers for PSVR. Hopefully E3 will have full details of any hardware plans.

I honestly hope not. In any case, you could go to Gamestop right now and buy some pre-owned Move controllers for like $15 or $20 (don't remember exactly). I already ordered the camera and am going to buy two of those Move controllers this weekend. Even if they do update the Move controllers it would be fine with me, but I want to be able to strap on my PSVR, and use this thing in VR... Stick the wand in the front down the "barrel", and the joystick goes on the front handle. With the VR headset on this'll be super fun playing shooters.

B004PCFF40.01.lg.jpg

And oh the possiblities... Someone with a 3D printer is going to 3D gun to attach the Move controllers to and I am going to be super jealous. (this is just a rendering btw. It was never made).

m41a_move_2vqw2.jpg

This one is for sale too, or was...

71St6WVyd-L._SL1500_.jpg

Well shit. A few posts up reminded me I bought one of those Move + Camera + Gun bundles a long time ago and used it for about 10 minutes. I found the gun but not the Move controllers. My kid says she was using it for a magic wand and has no idea where it is :p

It all comes down to games.
Millions of PS4 consoles out there will have these by Christmas. Likely a price drop at Christmas too.
There will be more PS games than Occulus VR has, that is granted. PC games are also often glitchy.

I will buy the PS4 VR. I just hope it can run two.

Sony is RGB, Vive/Rift are Pentile.

Pentile loses 33% of subpixles, which make subpixels that much larger, and that much more visible. Some consider Pentile to offer ~30% worse effective resolution.

Pentile 1200 lines -30% effective loss = 840 lines.

RGB 1080 lines with no loss = 1080 lines.

I think people completely miss this after Rift had repeatedly declared that VR was causing screen door / motion sickness / immersion issues until they got the "correct" resolution. Then it turns out they were using Pentile displays which are borderline faking screen resolution numbers, so they needed high resolution to compensate.

Now Sony comes out with a VR display capable of displaying more sub pixels and a higher frame rate and people still think Rift has the edge :eek:

Sony has the highest installed base, best display, and will be able to offer the most consistent experience by using common hardware at the lowest price point. PS VR Master Race!

Last edited:
It all comes down to games.
Millions of PS4 consoles out there will have these by Christmas. Likely a price drop at Christmas too.
There will be more PS games than Occulus VR has, that is granted. PC games are also often glitchy.

I will buy the PS4 VR. I just hope it can run two.

Run two? Not going to happen unless you have two PS4's. The PS4 hardware is really being pushed hard to even run the one VR device. They've had to cut a lot of corners and the graphics have had to be scaled back/simplified withinin VR apps/games in order to hit the latency minimums to get it all to work. There's no way a single PS4 could provide the rendering support needed to drive two VR displays.

Run two? Not going to happen unless you have two PS4's. The PS4 hardware is really being pushed hard to even run the one VR device. They've had to cut a lot of corners and the graphics have had to be scaled back/simplified withinin VR apps/games in order to hit the latency minimums to get it all to work. There's no way a single PS4 could provide the rendering support needed to drive two VR displays.
There's also been talk about one person using the PSVR while other players interact with elements on a regular TV (as a counter to the argument that VR will fail because it's not social). I'm interested to see a PS4 cope with that workload on anything other than the most basic games. Regardless of screen technology pedantry, there are still a ton of regular games which don't even run at 1080/60Hz on its rapidly aging hardware, let alone adding a HMD into the mix. At $400 I'm betting there isn't a 980Ti in that box.

Yes, and it looks pretty basic. But now there are murmurs that Sony will come out with an upgraded, 4K-capable "PS4.5", which would obviously benefit PSVR. Although it would sort of undermine the argument that PSVR's big strength is that loads of people already have a PS4. And it still won't hold a candle to a decent PC unless they want to put a similar price tag on it.

Yes, and it looks pretty basic. But now there are murmurs that Sony will come out with an upgraded, 4K-capable "PS4.5", which would obviously benefit PSVR. Although it would sort of undermine the argument that PSVR's big strength is that loads of people already have a PS4. And it still won't hold a candle to a decent PC unless they want to put a similar price tag on it.

I think that is a baseless rumor. If consoles start having upgrade versions, that pretty much removes some of the big selling points. Single target for Devs, not getting left behind for buyers.

I also think it is too soon for a console to do 4K inexpensively. You really need something like a GTX 970. Can't see that power in an inexpensive console for a few years yet.

I think that is a baseless rumor. If consoles start having upgrade versions, that pretty much removes some of the big selling points. Single target for Devs, not getting left behind for buyers.

I also think it is too soon for a console to do 4K inexpensively. You really need something like a GTX 970. Can't see that power in an inexpensive console for a few years yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if consoles follow a more PC-like upgrade path (or would 'smartphone-like' be more accurate?). A few years ago I would've never believe a console would need to 'install' a game and consoles would forever be 'place the disc inside and play), but they all require installations now.

Back