PlayStation 4 Controller on your PC (works great! and wireless!)

LeviathanZERO

Supreme [H]ardness
FINAL UPDATE:
For all updates just go to the official thread.
Development has taken off, impossible to keep up with anymore, and there may be a wiki soon too.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

ORIGINAL POST:
I've been playing with this on a USB cable yesterday, works flawlessly, except for a small oddity in one game. (The Y axis was completely backwards on the left stick, in Racing Room Experience, but since you don't use up and down in game its was perfectly playable.) Played some Jamestown with friends on other controllers, flawless. Burnout paradise, perfect. Pretty much what happens when you plug in a PS2 controller into a PC with one of those USB adapters.

FvkV98sl.jpg

Tried out some old school emulators, SNES, PC Engine, Sega Genesis, PSX, all as expected, the controller feels great with all those games.

Games I know work universally(DirectInput) is all I've tried.
Currently you need a Xinput emulator to work on X360 only controller games. I'm going to try those soon.
So out of the box, it won't work with those games. (Darks Souls, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy 7 all registered no button presses at all, even when I disconnected my 360 controller from the PC completely.) In Hotline Miami, on the other hand, it is picked up and mapped exactly how it is on the 360 controller, ready for action.

I tried pairing with bluetooth all day but could not get it to stick. It would connect and then disconnect pretty much immediately.
Oh well, had a long enough cable, no fatigue, good sessions..... This was last night.
Had an idea this morning.....

To pair your Playstation 4 Controller to your PC:
(Obvious: Bluetooth dongle, or built-in connectivity on your PC is required)

1. Hold the SHARE button and then press and hold the PS button until the lightbar starts flashing.
2. Open your Bluetooth properties and select "Add Device" so your PC will scan for it. It will come up as "Wireless Controller". Select to pair with that device.

Now normally mice and controllers pair by bluetooth automatically with no need for authentication, but it seems that the PS4 controller is different. If you try to pair without passcode, the controller will never bind and will continue flashing for a bit and turnoff. It loses connection when this happens.

What you want to do is pair it using passcode. The passcode that apparently works is '0000'.
After I paired it with that code, the lightbar immediately lights up steady and keeps a connection.

dZiCR77l.jpg

Works exactly like when wired.
Only issue now is xinput only games, those look for 360 controllers and nothing else, which is nothing new really...
I will try the xinput emulator soon.
Theres a little bit of work in pasting dll's into game directories, don't feel like it right now :p

Last edited:
Good to know. I prefer the asemetrical stick layout of the Xbox controller though. But this is good news for those who like the PS controller layouts.

I got mine to pair over bluetooth with no issues. I couldn't get any game to work with it though so I'll try the neogaf instructions you posted.

So you hold the PS button for like 10 seconds to turn it off, and the controller remembers the pairing. Hold the PS button to turn it on, it will connect back with the PC.
I also just tried x360ce with Dark Souls, it works flawlessly if you follow the above instructions. Very nice indeed.

If you're playing a fighting game or anything that makes extensive use of the d-pad, the Sony pad is night and day better.

Agreed but also want to point out the fact that the DS4 is waaaaaaay better than the DS3 for FPS.

Sexy. So it is a pain to get working? How does it feel in games? Is the latency one to one?

Oh, wow. This is great news. I haven't had a gamepad with my PC since I sold my Xbox 360 and wireless dongle.

Agreed but also want to point out the fact that the DS4 is waaaaaaay better than the DS3 for FPS.

I'd agree with that, too. I like the option of using both of them. As long as the different drivers and configs don't break one another, I look forward to swapping back and forth with the 360 and PS4 pads depending on the game.

Leviathan, what kinda games are you getting for the PS4? I'm planning to sell mine since I have no interest in any of the launch titles (well maybe Knack...a little...kinda). Just wondering what the goal was for you with the purchase. Killzone, or?

Glad to hear that. I am not buying a PS4 but I will get this controller. Great post.

I want to see the new Xbone controller before I get a PS4 controller. If the Xbone fixes the 360s d-pad then I'll stick with it. Otherwise, I think I'll give the PS4 a try.

I want to see the new Xbone controller before I get a PS4 controller. If the Xbone fixes the 360s d-pad then I'll stick with it. Otherwise, I think I'll give the PS4 a try.

I've heard people that have used it say the d-pad is much better. The only complaint I've heard is about the analog sticks leaving a ring in your thumb and potentially getting sore after extended play.

I think one of the issues with the d-pad on the Xbox controllers is also placement. To me it's tricky to coordinate the left shoulder trigger/button effectively with it and it's just not comfortable to use over the long haul. I've tried and just can't do it. A lot of the 360 Street Fighter and Tekken pad players end up using the analog instead. Even at high levels that seems to be the case.

IMO there's no one perfect solution, although there are far more shooters and action titles than fighting and 2D platformer games these days.

Sexy. So it is a pain to get working? How does it feel in games? Is the latency one to one?
Not at all, as easy as plug and play. Even the BT pairing is trivial and super quick. I felt no latency, wired or wireless. Just like my 360 pad.

How does it feel compared to the 360 controller?

I've been using the transformer 360 pad for years on the PC. I like this controller more currently. It feels more snug in my hands and not as easy to slip and drop. (I've always thought the 360 pad is very slippery and easy to drop.) PS4 controller is slightly lighter and has a not-as-slippery surface on the back. The D-pad is exceptional. The center is closer together, this also applies to the face buttons.

Leviathan, what kinda games are you getting for the PS4? I'm planning to sell mine since I have no interest in any of the launch titles (well maybe Knack...a little...kinda). Just wondering what the goal was for you with the purchase. Killzone, or?

Ha ha ha.
RESOGUN.
And it's free :)
PS+ is where I will be for the time being. I'm keeping an eye on Killzone, however. The screenshots look amazing, but I've never liked a Killzone game, so............yeah prolly just sticking with the free stuff for now.
2014 titles I'm waiting for are Infamous, Order 1886 and Driveclub

I get naturally excited for new hardware. I especially love seeing new game controller's, especially if I can figure out a way to make it work on my PC :)
The controller was also a reason for the PS4 purchase

Last edited:
Got my extra controller today but could't get it to stay paired when wireless. :( It did work great when wired and it feels so much more natural to me than my xb360 controller.

I am thinking the problem is the pairing. Unlike what Leviathan posted, I don't get any kind of way to enter a passkey. It auto connects with no passkey like I think it's suppose to for this kind of device, but then the controller just disconnects immediately after it connects. Does anyone know how to force win7 to let me enter a passkey for bluetooth devices?

Which x input method works best? Have you tested with COD or BF? Does the actions prompt up as xbox buttons on screen or ps4?

I used the Xinput wrapper linked in the first post. I didn't try to use the other one because I didn't want to deal with putting in dlls into game directories. I only tested with Batman Arkham Origins, since it was my last played game and I knew the controls without out having to look at the controller. It mapped everything in the same layout as an XB360 controller. But unfortunately, the xbox buttons are what you will see on the screen, that's something that either has to come from the developers or through some kind of game mod.

Which x input method works best? Have you tested with COD or BF? Does the actions prompt up as xbox buttons on screen or ps4?

Like LurkerLito said, thats all software. There isn't a single PC game out, at the moment, that can detect the controller as "PS4 controller" and change the button images accordingly. That has to be preprogramed into the game.

LurkerLito-
Do it from the control panel.
'Devices and Printers' > 'add a device'
After its picked up and selected, the very next screen should give you 3 options to connect. The 2nd one is for passcode. Enter 0000 there and save.

Do it from the control panel.
'Devices and Printers' > 'add a device'
After its picked up and selected, the very next screen should give you 3 options to connect. The 2nd one is for passcode. Enter 0000 there and save.
Yeah that's how I tried to do it several times. So far I have been unsuccessful most of the time even getting that dialog box with the three options to even come up. I tried for like an hour last night and finally gave up. I even tried updating to the latest broadcom drivers and nothing seems to help. I got that dialog box exactly one time I entered the code, but nothing happened because the controller turned off before the process completed.

I'm going to have a tough choice with 3 new controllers when they're all available... PS4, Xbox One & Steam.

I wish games on PC would have native support for the xbox and playstation controllers. I prefer to play my action / adventure games with the playstation controller and fps games with the xbox controller.

I wish games on PC would have native support for the xbox and playstation controllers. I prefer to play my action / adventure games with the playstation controller and fps games with the xbox controller.

You can blame Xinput (and more specifically the God-awful/forsaken GFWL) for this, as it is a curse in as many ways as it is a blessing. Gone (well, mostly anyways) are the days of games supporting full-blown configuration of any Direct Input controller you have connected, instead opting to use the Xinput API and having controls/in-game button prompts pre-configured based on the Xbox 360 controller layout.

The only modern game that I know of that does a decent job of offering support for both Xinput and Direct Input AND allows you to choose button displays of either X360 or Dualshock layouts is Final Fantasy XIV. I say "decent" because while the Dualshock 4 is recognized as a normal Direct Input "Wireless Controller" in Windows, it's not properly supported by the game, and needs some minor config file changes to function as it should.

Been using my DS4 for a few weeks now to play FFXIV and some emulators, and I'm convinced that it's the best controller I've ever used. The analog sticks, triggers, weight, and overall feel of the gamepad are vastly improved compared to the DS3. And while there's no use yet at all for the touchpad, it does also function as an extra button when clicked, which is a nice little bonus.

My only complaint is the Share/Options buttons. They are a bit awkwarldly placed, which wouldn't be so much of a problem in itself. However, what compounds their awkward placement is the fact these buttons are almost flush with the casing, making them both hard to find AND hard to press. I'm hoping that someone comes out with an aftermarket accessory to raise those buttons a bit.

It sounds to me that the DS4 is more ergonomic compared to the ds3 / ds2 controller. I guess people with bigger hands will enjoy the Playstation controller now over the xbox one.

Hands down the DS4 is a better controller than the 360 controller. Its so fucking comfortable I can't even convey just what an improvement it is over the Dual Shit 3.

If you want a new controller for your PC .. this is the best choice. I've used the Xbox One controller and I still prefer the DS4.

Hands down the DS4 is a better controller than the 360 controller. Its so fucking comfortable I can't even convey just what an improvement it is over the Dual Shit 3.

If you want a new controller for your PC .. this is the best choice. I've used the Xbox One controller and I still prefer the DS4.

I agree and I'm someone that favored the 360 controller over the DS3 9/10 times.

I always hated that dpad on the 360 controllers how the whole thing was popped up from the rest of the controller. It was always uncomfortable playing fighting game with it compared to the sunk in dpad on the playstation controllers.

Back