PlayStation 4 Controller on your PC (works great! and wireless!)

Anyone know how DS4 compares in feel to the razer sabertooth? The sabertooth has the best dpad I've had in a long time.

Does anyone have a MacBook they can test the bluetooth pairing of the DS4 with?

I'm hoping for some "official" drivers at some point. Sony seems to support the idea of using it on the PC (it's $60 a pop for them), so hopefully we'll see 'em soon.

I'd def love native support for something other than the 360 controller so I have more options!

Gonna try this. I hope in the future the touchpad will be a mouse controller too. Oh and a way to turn off the lightbar (I'll just tape it over for now).

I for one will never purchase a console; however I wonder how much the ps4 controller costs when you can purchase many types of gamepad controllers to use on a pc for a small amount of money.

I for one will never purchase a console; however I wonder how much the ps4 controller costs when you can purchase many types of gamepad controllers to use on a pc for a small amount of money.

The PS4 controller should be in the neighborhood of $60. Why get it instead of a cheaper PC gamepad? IMO, you get what you pay for. Most cheap PC gamepads are complete garbage with cheap parts, questionable compatibility, and lousy d-pads/analogs. Even the usually dependable Logitech's controllers tend to be junky, and they aren't even all that cheap.
The good PC pads are the 360 Controller ($34-40 depending on if you want wireless), the similarly priced PS3 controller (which requires some tinkering and 3rd party software), and the Razer Sabertooth...which is $70. The other alternative is buying a PS2 controller and a USB adapter...which honestly isn't too bad, although support for modern games requires additional 3rd party software.
Sony claimed that "real" drivers are on the way for the PS4 pad eventually, and I'd say it's arguably the best controller on the market in terms of build quality.

I have always been a fan of the PS controllers. I find they fit my hands much better than the Xbox ones. Does anyone know if you can buy the USB cable separately? I will admit I haven't even looked but I remember when I bought a ps3 controller ages ago it didn't come with one so charging would have been tricky if I didn't have the console. Or does any micro usb cable work?

I'm gonna pick one of these on my way home from work me thinks. I will ask about the cable when I'm in the shop if nobody knows the answer.

The PS4 controller should be in the neighborhood of $60. Why get it instead of a cheaper PC gamepad? IMO, you get what you pay for. Most cheap PC gamepads are complete garbage with cheap parts, questionable compatibility, and lousy d-pads/analogs. Even the usually dependable Logitech's controllers tend to be junky, and they aren't even all that cheap.
The good PC pads are the 360 Controller ($34-40 depending on if you want wireless), the similarly priced PS3 controller (which requires some tinkering and 3rd party software), and the Razer Sabertooth...which is $70. The other alternative is buying a PS2 controller and a USB adapter...which honestly isn't too bad, although support for modern games requires additional 3rd party software.
Sony claimed that "real" drivers are on the way for the PS4 pad eventually, and I'd say it's arguably the best controller on the market in terms of build quality.
I remember someone arguing that the reason why the 360 controller for Windows and other video game controllers was better is that controllers are built to last and to withstand great amounts of abuse, especially from little children. PC controllers on the other hand, not so much so their quality varies greatly.

Any video game console controller is better than the majority of the PC game controllers. Why? Who knows? Planned obsolescence? Easier to con PC users into buying another controller or push them to buy higher priced controllers?

My SNES, NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Wii, and 360 controller (for Windows) have lasted longer than the one Microsoft Sidewinder, 4 Logitech, and 1 Saitek controllers I've owned in many years.

Put it simply: If you buy a cheap game controller, you're in for a bad time.

It's just really unfortunate that the majority of controller-enabled games on the PC primarily or exclusively use XInput. That excludes all controllers but three or four [gamepad] controllers currently on the market-- one being the 360 gamepad for Windows. My friend who spent $30 on a controller a few years ago does not have an XInput-compatible driver and has continuing compatibility problems with a lot of games he plays on the PC especially with Final Fantasy XIV (PC). Thankfully he had a PS3 controller around and pointing him to the right places online, it saved him the trouble of trying to order a 360 Gamepad to Barbados (where he currently lives and works).

Thankfully this PS4 gamepad is about as good or better than the PS3 and PS2 gamepads and work even better on the PC. It's great to hear that Sony is going to release an official driver soon-- hopefully one for Windows (XInput), Linux, and OSX.

Out of box (i.e., right now!), the DS4 is already a superior controller to my Saitek. When a driver comes out to enable the touchpad over wireless, I don't see any PC gamepad beating it out, not even the 360 (and maybe the XO controller if MS decides to let us use it).

In fact, the only flaw would be 7 hour battery life but I don't ever play for that long at a time luckily.

Hows the Analog sticks for precision aiming compared to the xbox 360 pad? Is it noticeably better or about the same?

I would say that they're close enough now that it shouldn't be a factor (I hated the PS3 sticks).

So picked up a DS4 on my way home and hooked it up wired for now. Happy to report that the cable from my galaxy s3 worked perfectly. I didn't install any extra drivers (I have an Xbox wireless controller that is hooked up from time to time so the drivers for that are installed) and the control panel just picked it up as a wireless controller. I love the feel of it compared to the DS3,it just feels like it's a lot better quality.

The only game I've tried it with so far is FFXIV and right off the bat I noticed that some buttons were mapped wrong. With some googling I just had to change 2 lines of a cfg file and things have been working flawlessly since.

Can you connect the DS4 with a Vita? Just curious if anyone has tried it. I'm getting an extra controller for the PS4 and PC anyways but it would be nice for remote play. The button layout doesn't always work great with remote play. The Vita TV is coming out eventually which is supposedly the same OS or pretty close as the Vita. So, someday perhaps.

Awesome good to know, was gonna buy a separate controller for my pc gaming but don't have to anymore.

I've been playing with this on a USB cable yesterday, works flawlessly, except for a small oddity in one game. (The Y axis was completely backwards on the left stick, in Racing Room Experience, but since you don't use up and down in game its was perfectly playable.) Played some Jamestown with friends on other controllers, flawless. Burnout paradise, perfect. Pretty much what happens when you plug in a PS2 controller into a PC with one of those USB adapters.

FvkV98sl.jpg

Tried out some old school emulators, SNES, PC Engine, Sega Genesis, PSX, all as expected, the controller feels great with all those games.

Games I know work universally(DirectInput) is all I've tried.
Currently you need a Xinput emulator to work on X360 only controller games. I'm going to try those soon.
So out of the box, it won't work with those games. (Darks Souls, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy 7 all registered no button presses at all, even when I disconnected my 360 controller from the PC completely.) In Hotline Miami, on the other hand, it is picked up and mapped exactly how it is on the 360 controller, ready for action.

I tried pairing with bluetooth all day but could not get it to stick. It would connect and then disconnect pretty much immediately.
Oh well, had a long enough cable, no fatigue, good sessions..... This was last night.
Had an idea this morning.....

To pair your Playstation 4 Controller to your PC:
(Obvious: Bluetooth dongle, or built-in connectivity on your PC is required)

1. Hold the SHARE button and then press and hold the PS button until the lightbar starts flashing.
2. Open your Bluetooth properties and select "Add Device" so your PC will scan for it. It will come up as "Wireless Controller". Select to pair with that device.

Now normally mice and controllers pair by bluetooth automatically with no need for authentication, but it seems that the PS4 controller is different. If you try to pair without passcode, the controller will never bind and will continue flashing for a bit and turnoff. It loses connection when this happens.

What you want to do is pair it using passcode. The passcode that apparently works is '0000'.
After I paired it with that code, the lightbar immediately lights up steady and keeps a connection.

dZiCR77l.jpg

Works exactly like when wired.
Only issue now is xinput only games, those look for 360 controllers and nothing else, which is nothing new really...
I will try the xinput emulator soon.
Theres a little bit of work in pasting dll's into game directories, don't feel like it right now :p

UPDATE:
X360ce is here:
https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/detail?name=x360ce.App-2.1.2.191.zip&can=2&q=
x360ce libraries:
https://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/detail?name=x360ce_lib32_r789_VS2010.zip&can=2&q=

shameless rip from neogaf

So you hold the PS button for like 10 seconds to turn it off, and the controller remembers the pairing. Hold the PS button to turn it on, it will connect back with the PC.
I also just tried x360ce with Dark Souls, it works flawlessly if you follow the above instructions. Very nice indeed.

UPDATE2:
Another tool. Xinput wrapper
This one you don't need to mess with files in game directories.
Instructions and download are at the link below.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

thisis brilliant.
thanks mate

I've read around and some people can get it working on bluetooth, some cannot.

If you are one of the ones who can get it working over bluetooth can you post your OS and maybe give a link or description of your bluetooth adapter?

All I can find out about my USB bluetooth dongle is that the device manager shows the manufacturer as Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd. I'm using Win7 64

EDIT: Found a youtube video that pointed towards more success. Right click on your bluetooth icon in the system tray and select 'add device' while this window is open, set your controller to pairing mode by holding the PS and share buttons until you get the flashing light on the back of the controller. The controller should now become listed in your bluetooth add device window, instead of adding the controller, right click on it, and select properties, then check the box that mentions keyboard and mice, then accept changes. Once this was done my controller seems to stay connected via bluetooth flawlessly. Also note, to turn the ps4 controller off you need to hold the PS button for quite a long time, maybe 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Sure.

Windows 7 SP1 x64 (also worked on Windows 8.1 x64 with the same adapter using built-in drivers)
Asus USB-BT211 (using the drivers from their website)

I had trouble initially getting it to pair because I couldn't read instructions. That is, I didn't hold SHARE and the PS button together. Just held the PS button by itself lol.

I went out and grabbed a DS4 controller tonight and have it working pretty well so far. The only problem I'm having is it seems to press the button twice when in Steam Big Picture mode.

I installed a plugin that lets the touchpad work like a mouse, and so far, I'm very impressed. Here's a link to the Reddit thread with a link to the file:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1qfk7c/ps4pc_use_your_ps4_touchpad_as_a_mouse/

Just to add, if you re-bind the controller in Big Picture mode, and add the Primary action (A button) to the left stick click, it won't press the button twice.

Everything is working great and this is a damn fine controller!

I wonder why my DS4 didn't have the double click issues in Stream big picture. Guess I got lucky =)

I went out and grabbed a DS4 controller tonight and have it working pretty well so far. The only problem I'm having is it seems to press the button twice when in Steam Big Picture mode.

I installed a plugin that lets the touchpad work like a mouse, and so far, I'm very impressed. Here's a link to the Reddit thread with a link to the file:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1qfk7c/ps4pc_use_your_ps4_touchpad_as_a_mouse/

As soon as it works through wireless, I will update the OP.

how can i connect with pass-code i windows 7 it automatically connect without but it quickly turn off by it self

START > Devices and Printers > Add a device

It will scan it, the very next page should give you 3 options to connect, one will be pass-code.

rashed: I had that same issue. I now can somehow connect properly. I can't really tell you what did it though, but I can hopefully give you some tips I did to get it to finally work.
  • First if you are using a motherboard built in bluetooth then check to see if the motherboard has an antenna you could plug in to the board. I didn't have mine attached and didn't think it mattered because I was less than 3 feet from the PC, but it started working shortly after I plugged in the antenna.
  • Pass-code wise, Win7 never asked me for one. I got it to bring up that dialog box exactly once. I put in the code, but the controller already disconnected long before I could press enter so I don't think it ever registered.
  • Check your bluetooth devices, if the wireless controller is listed there right click and go to properties, then to the services tab. Mine has the checkbox checked that says "Drivers for keyboard mice, etc (HID)". If that is checked, uncheck it. press OK. Then try to pair it up. This is a fix I read about online and might help bring up the passcode dialog box. It worked one time for me, but after that it never did again.
  • Check if you have your latest bluetooth drivers. I updated mine also but not to the latest available at the broadcom site (my bluetooth adapter's maker) I used one that is about a year older that I got directly from my motherboard vendor.
I had a lot of trouble getting the DS4 to connect wireless properly to my PC. It really all just sort of started working as soon as I plugged in the antenna, so I think that was the main thing. But I can't discount the drivers that I installed just before I plugged in the antenna either. The pass-code I did enter once, but it was when I tried item 2 and 3 long before I thought about the antenna being a problem. I did remove that device after I got that prompt the one time but who knows if Win7 somehow remembered to use that particular pass-code so I had to mention it.

sir where i can find or purchase this antena.

I still tryed and without it and i didnt get the passcode page

Mine came with the motherboard I bought (see sig). I have 2 antenna ports one for WiFi and one for Bluetooth. I don't know what system you are running on, but you might not even have or need one if the antenna is built into your system.

isnt there any solution how i cant get the passcode will other is it because of my system is windows 7 home premium!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping that soon this program gets good enough to work like the dual shock 3 wrapper. It is almost there, just a bit more.

Back