PlayStation 3 Hack Released Online

HardOCP News

[H] News
The guy that hacked the PS3 has apparently posted the source code online. Not sure why anyone would want to hack a PS3 but there you have it.

In the interest of openness, I've decided to release the exploit. Hopefully, this will ignite the PS3 scene, and you will organize and figure out how to use this to do practical things, like the iPhone when jailbreaks were first released. I have a life to get back to and can't keep working on this all day and night.

With consoles being connected 24/7 to the Internet I don't think we are ever going to see another console become modded to the extent of the original XBox. It would be nice if the PS3 could be hacked to run emulators and other software, but I think Sony will just patch the exploits soon after they become available.

Great... Now PS network will have to starting making a ban hammer

PSN accounts aren't tied to individual machines. They have no ability to ban any machines via the PSN much like MS did with the 360 via XBL.

Also, this hack DOES NOT give the ability to play pirate games...yet.

I hope this isn't the beginning of the "rise of the cheaters". I quit counterstrike years ago for a reason...

I don't suppose you guys have heard of the ps3 clusters? The USAF (I think it was the AF) invested in a lot of them and turned them into a sizable cluster.

997953812_f2cbd6139a.jpg

9742f1.png

090128-ps3-grid-02.jpg

ps3cluster2.jpg

8-11-07-warhawk-servers.jpg

IMG_1629_DxO_smallp.jpg

This hack or exploit is fairly complicated.
It can lead to -far more- for anyone willing to take this hardware and software exploit to the next level.
In itself it is not usable by anyone who wants to run pirated games, start a homebrew or even simply enable the RSX in Linux.
As far as online play goes:
One console for online access, one console for homebrew... simple.

"Not sure why anyone would want to hack a PS3 but there you have it."

Home-brew apps and games.

There are a lot of very talented people out there, coders, artists, musicians, etc that would love to bring their creativity to the PS3.

At the end of the day, regardless of whatever anyone wants to believe, people own their consoles. I even think there is case law with the courts agreeing that you can use your consoles to this end as long as you do not pirate games and break those laws.

I am no expert but this is a good thing.

You know the only thing that I care about on this is whether or not a PS3 emulator is created for PC
And to put into context why, I dont care about playing pirated games...
My only interest in PS3 is for God of War 3, I happen to really enjoy the GoW series, but I cannot/will not justify buying a PS3 for a single title
I would however buy the title if it could be played on something else

yeah hopefully this guy turns out to be like Dark Alex was for the psp scene. that guy almost single handedly turned psps into what they are today (fully unlocked.)

Given the amount of heat that 1 Ps3 puts out I can't imagine having a room of them. :eek:

My only interest in PS3 is for God of War 3, I happen to really enjoy the GoW series, but I cannot/will not justify buying a PS3 for a single title

I can't wait for GoW3 but Uncharted is a damn good series as well. IMHO Uncharted is a better system seller than GoW is (even though Uncharted is a newer series). It hurts me to say that as a huge GoW fan but Uncharted could reach to wider audiences because playing the game is like playing a movie.

Some of the PSN stuff is also top notch and reasons to own a Ps3 IMO (majority of the PixelJunk titles especially Eden, as well as WipEout HD, Fat Princess, and Flower).

*purchases PS3*

good luck finding a fat PS3 that has the "OtherOS" option :p

You know the only thing that I care about on this is whether or not a PS3 emulator is created for PC

seeing as how PS2 emulators still run like crap on a PC, I don't think there will be an even decent PS3 emulator for a looooooooong time, if at all.
hell, even N64 emulators still have issues from what I remember.

No. :p

At least not in any foreseeable future. The raw number-crunching power of a PS3 simply dwarfs anything you can do on a x86 processor, and that doesn't even take into account inefficiencies of emulation.

The reality is that it will probably take decade or more before x86 hardware can do Cell emulation in realtime.

I would love to learn how they did this. I've engineered systems but to reverse engineer, that's amazing.

I don't suppose you guys have heard of the ps3 clusters? The USAF (I think it was the AF) invested in a lot of them and turned them into a sizable cluster.

(snips pics)

the guy in the third pic looks like Mr Bean lol

No. :p

At least not in any foreseeable future. The raw number-crunching power of a PS3 simply dwarfs anything you can do on a x86 processor, and that doesn't even take into account inefficiencies of emulation.

The reality is that it will probably take decade or more before x86 hardware can do Cell emulation in realtime.

That is pretty much what I suspect, however when I read the initial story details of the PS3 hack it was the first thing that came to mind
I truly hate console exclusive titles, I have looked at all of the games currently out or planned for release on the PS3, of all the new releases to existing series and new series there are zero that peak my interest, save God of War 3
Now I've obviously not played any of the new series PS3 exclusives, but again none peak my interest so I'm not going to buy a PS3 to experiment with them, and I will not justify buying the PS3 for a single title

I should add I own a Xbox 360, Wii, PS2 (among other older retired console generations)
Those consoles were justified with titles or features provided by them
Long live PC gaming, where I can play any PC release regardless of what brand hardware I purchase

lol dont hold your breath waiting

In other news, Sony announced today that they will be releasing a Firmware update for the PS3 next week that provides unspecified feature improvements...

"Not sure why anyone would want to hack a PS3 but there you have it."

Home-brew apps and games.

There are a lot of very talented people out there, coders, artists, musicians, etc that would love to bring their creativity to the PS3.

At the end of the day, regardless of whatever anyone wants to believe, people own their consoles. I even think there is case law with the courts agreeing that you can use your consoles to this end as long as you do not pirate games and break those laws.

I am no expert but this is a good thing.
XBMC
Emulators
Linux

If it wasn't for emulators for PSP, I would never own a PSP. Seriously, the games on PSP suck my balls.

Oh damn. In other news, a PS3 server cluster mysteriously exploded after a man resembling Mr. Bean walked by it.

heh, no shit.... the guy who wrote the exploit is also the same guy who figured out how to "open" the iphone. He's a very talented dude... I'm sure this will go much further over time.

lol @ mr.bean comments

Geohot needs to go back and work on iPhone OS 3.1.2 instead of the PS3, now it looks like we are stuck with it for 2 more months. If anyone can figure out an untethered unlock, he should.

seeing as how PS2 emulators still run like crap on a PC

Actually, PS2 emulators are running fairly well on PC. I was able to reach 45 fps with final fantasy 11 using a Core2Duo E6600 @ stock speeds and a eva 8800 GTS OC 320mb card. Not exactly a powerhouse machine and it emulates the PS2 at 75% speed. Full speed = 60 fps. Playing through FF11 was a bit of a pain to be honest but it did save me $100.00 or so as I didn't have to purchase the system and just purchased a copy of FF11. Not to mention, it was being rendered at 1650x1050x2AA so the graphics were a fair bit better than any PS2 out there.

I think when I build my new machine which seems to be shaping up to be a iCore7 920 + 5890 or 5870, I'll give it another shot as I think I can probably reach around 110% speed at least I'm guessing.

Actually, PS2 emulators are running fairly well on PC. I was able to reach 45 fps with final fantasy 11 using a Core2Duo E6600 @ stock speeds and a eva 8800 GTS OC 320mb card. Not exactly a powerhouse machine and it emulates the PS2 at 75% speed. Full speed = 60 fps. Playing through FF11 was a bit of a pain to be honest but it did save me $100.00 or so as I didn't have to purchase the system and just purchased a copy of FF11. Not to mention, it was being rendered at 1650x1050x2AA so the graphics were a fair bit better than any PS2 out there.

I think when I build my new machine which seems to be shaping up to be a iCore7 920 + 5890 or 5870, I'll give it another shot as I think I can probably reach around 110% speed at least I'm guessing.

yeah, ps2 emulation has come a long way. On the rig in my signature, with the latest version of pcsx2, I can usually get close to 60 (Gran Turismo 3 and 4 still hit 45-50 fps in a race though) in most games I've tried... sometimes more than that (FF10 needs the frame limiter turned on to slow it down). A fast i7 would no doubt run most games at full speed

Long live PC gaming, where I can play any PC release regardless of what brand hardware I purchase. Except 6 months later when its outdated. And then you go to play and there's an update which you need to download on your own from some crappy fileserver at 10kbps. Oh and then update your video driers. Maybe a windows update too.

fixed.

anyway, read a bit on that blog and it doesnt look like he's done much according to some of the comments. It looks like its a riduclously secure system. good thing I guess, keeps the cheaters away

^ Yeah, because the PS3 System update + 5 patches just to run Uncharted 2 was so much different.

Back