Planetside 2

I have a 7950 so the physx thing is moot.

I see the servers merged. Since I started playing again a few days ago, there have been some huge battles. The game seems to play pretty well now. Are the patches helping compared to the past or is the game dying bc of the server merge?

game is doing well still, Im on waterson and there are huge battles no matter the time of day it seems. the next patch I heard they may be making back capping obsolete, which will force even larger battles to the front lines, I look forward to it!

Last patch broke respawning for me and a bunch of others. I get BSOD everytime I die or choose to respawn, so game is broken now for some.

I love this game so much! I have already put 320 hours in it.. which really says something about my outside life..

You really need to find an outfit, not even necessarily a good one, but one with people you like to play with! My outfit does so much fun, stupid stuff I love it.

Yeah, this game really comes alive with an outfit of any kind. The upcoming lattice system might make it more enjoyable when playing by yourself though. We'll see.

Game is getting better with every patch. It is already fun as hell. Sure, you either need to spend a lot of time in it or spend some money to get latest and greatest gear.

Game is getting better with every patch. It is already fun as hell. Sure, you either need to spend a lot of time in it or spend some money to get latest and greatest gear.

I don't know, you really don't need the latest and greatest gear if you don't want to spend the money on it. As far as vehicles you can run all the vehicles without having to spend money on them to make them useful, with the exception of maybe the ESF's. Even the Liberator's Shredder is now considered a good weapon unlike before. For the Lightning I personally didn't like the default cannon, but can easily buy one of the best ones for only 250 certs. The Magrider's default cannon is considered one of the best all around ones (not sure about the other MBT'S)

Infantry guns are mostly the same, with an exception to the infiltrator and the Heavy's rocket launcher. I guess also if you wanted to use shotguns since they all cost SC or 1,000 certs. Almost all the default weapons are considered to be very worthwhile, hell on VS side the Heavy Assault's default weapons is usually the most prefered! I know the Light Assault's VS weapons is amazing too. I generally play Light Assault so I don't know about the other classes, but if you want to upgrade to a new weapons you can buy a cheap Pulsar C for I believe 250 certs?

Not saying the latest and greatest gear isn't good to have, it really is (shotguns/new pistols/etc) but you can get around and be happy with the default guns, and even unlock other guns for other play styles for relatively cheap cert-wise.

I don't know, you really don't need the latest and greatest gear if you don't want to spend the money on it. As far as vehicles you can run all the vehicles without having to spend money on them to make them useful, with the exception of maybe the ESF's. Even the Liberator's Shredder is now considered a good weapon unlike before. For the Lightning I personally didn't like the default cannon, but can easily buy one of the best ones for only 250 certs. The Magrider's default cannon is considered one of the best all around ones (not sure about the other MBT'S)

Infantry guns are mostly the same, with an exception to the infiltrator and the Heavy's rocket launcher. I guess also if you wanted to use shotguns since they all cost SC or 1,000 certs. Almost all the default weapons are considered to be very worthwhile, hell on VS side the Heavy Assault's default weapons is usually the most prefered! I know the Light Assault's VS weapons is amazing too. I generally play Light Assault so I don't know about the other classes, but if you want to upgrade to a new weapons you can buy a cheap Pulsar C for I believe 250 certs?

Not saying the latest and greatest gear isn't good to have, it really is (shotguns/new pistols/etc) but you can get around and be happy with the default guns, and even unlock other guns for other play styles for relatively cheap cert-wise.

As for the base weapons from the NC perspective, the infiltrator has an amazingly effective sniper rifle from the start and with adding just a 30cert scope can be very lethal. On the Heavy side the NC6 gauss saw is also way overpowered as a mid to long range weapon when certed out. It's incredibly easy to gun people down 200m away and running with that weapon and many people prefer it if not in cqc. I myself use the Anchor, amazing gun cqc and decent range when playing heavy. I agree on the rpg, the need to upgrade is great so you can shoot down aircraft, but the standard one will kill most infantry and does more damage per shot than the lock on target rpgs per shot. It's good for killing stationary vehicles or just bad players driving tanks in a line. Engineer/Medic have very similar weapons, I use a shotgun most of the time on those, the piston is amazing for extremely cqc.

A lot of benefit can be seen by spending as little as 130 certs on a scope and grip or compensator on most weapons. One of the most useful items I've found is the med kit utility because you can use it on all classes. Costs a decent amount to carry more than 1, but so worth it for almost all non medic/engineer players. Also buying the deal of the day makes items 50% which isn't too bad IMO. Thing I can't stand though is that nano weave armor 1 is just as good as 5 in almost all cases. Just a waste of certs!

As for the base weapons from the NC perspective, the infiltrator has an amazingly effective sniper rifle from the start and with adding just a 30cert scope can be very lethal. On the Heavy side the NC6 gauss saw is also way overpowered as a mid to long range weapon when certed out. It's incredibly easy to gun people down 200m away and running with that weapon and many people prefer it if not in cqc. I myself use the Anchor, amazing gun cqc and decent range when playing heavy. I agree on the rpg, the need to upgrade is great so you can shoot down aircraft, but the standard one will kill most infantry and does more damage per shot than the lock on target rpgs per shot. It's good for killing stationary vehicles or just bad players driving tanks in a line. Engineer/Medic have very similar weapons, I use a shotgun most of the time on those, the piston is amazing for extremely cqc.

A lot of benefit can be seen by spending as little as 130 certs on a scope and grip or compensator on most weapons. One of the most useful items I've found is the med kit utility because you can use it on all classes. Costs a decent amount to carry more than 1, but so worth it for almost all non medic/engineer players. Also buying the deal of the day makes items 50% which isn't too bad IMO. Thing I can't stand though is that nano weave armor 1 is just as good as 5 in almost all cases. Just a waste of certs!

Yeah or one of the other early certs for vehicles that can hell until you get the higher cert stuff is stealth. Only costs 30 cert and is great until you upgrade some of the other stuff a couple levels.

I wish nanoweave was more useful, level one increases the shots to die by 1 more, I think level 5 is the same? You can also live a proxy mine with level 1. The only other benefit is level 4 allows you to live a headshot with a bolt action.

Yeah, you absolutely do not need to spend money on this game; the base weapons (especially for NC) do the job.

I have been crashing significantly more since the latest patch. Every 5 minutes or so.

My fav thing to do is take my 7k cert prowler and just commit mass murder.. Best streak I have had was 146 to 1

I have been crashing significantly more since the latest patch. Every 5 minutes or so.

Are you playing through Steam? If so, I was having the same exact problem. Verify the game cache through Steam, it may download several files over again (about 1GB) after that's dow launch the client and validate assets

Yeah, you absolutely do not need to spend money on this game; the base weapons (especially for NC) do the job.

I play Infiltrator 90% of time and I found it worthwhile to buy L80 bolt action sniper rifle for long range and Blitz SMG for close combat. Those are much better then stock weapons in my opinion.

Also Rocket launchers worth buyng. Other stock weapons for other classes indeed looks fine with me.

they have been saying it's not a good idea to do steam verify. There is a verify for ps2 I believe

Had the same issue after the patch last Wednesday. I redownloaded the game from SOE and was crashing from both SOE and Steam version. Supposedly it's a file in the respawn where you can delete it for a quick fix but you have to do it every time and it will come back after 15-30 minutes. I just updated my gpu driver and it seemed to fix it. Although now water sometimes has weird lines through it, but I've read on the forums both nvidia and amd cards are having that issue so I don't think that's driver related.

MAX - surprisingly effective

I played mostly Infiltrator for 4 months and decided to try to play MAX today out of curiosity. Put 2 shotguns on it and charged into the serious battle.

My fist thought after 2 hours of game play:
1. Will I ever die? Really, I decided to log off the game for today as soon as I died. And it took like 30 minutes till I finally died.

2. Those enemies have no chance against me. I just rip through them like the knife through the butter. Though I played not in biolab, I played on the open spaces in Indar.

May be I was lucky but it was great experience. Will use AI NC MAX more often now.

For the NC and TR, particularly if you are anywhere with some CQC (biodome, some of the satellite bases), you will destroy with a MAX. the Vanu max has nothing particularly useful, and gets reamed by both NC and TR maxes. sucks.

EDIT: I should also mention that if you get a friendly engineer to stick with you, even better.

Last edited:

I played mostly Infiltrator for 4 months and decided to try to play MAX today out of curiosity. Put 2 shotguns on it and charged into the serious battle.

My fist thought after 2 hours of game play:
1. Will I ever die? Really, I decided to log off the game for today as soon as I died. And it took like 30 minutes till I finally died.

2. Those enemies have no chance against me. I just rip through them like the knife through the butter. Though I played not in biolab, I played on the open spaces in Indar.

May be I was lucky but it was great experience. Will use AI NC MAX more often now.

Scatter max's should burn in hell. --TR

Scatter max's should burn in hell. --TR

:) I feel for you as an NC soldier. Scatter MAX is a beast though useless on mid and long ranges plus it takes 4 seconds to reload. 2 seconds shooting with 4 seconds reloading renders NC Scatter MAX 60% of time defenseless. Do you realize that ? :)

Yeah playing as Vanu has been a bit rough lately. I don't play much but it seems like we are getting our ass kicked fairly often. I have like 2500 SC and no idea what to spend it on. I am pretty much a noob in terms of certs and equipment so what is fun or essential for a good kit? Just looking to be effective and helpful.

crash, crash, crash....In my 30+ years of PC gaming I don't think I've EVER had as many issues as I've had with PS2...warp to another continent...crash....access Sunderer's terminal....crash

I think I'm done with the POS for now. SOE is too goddamn concerned without putting out $20 pistols and $10 helmets rather than just focusing on optimization and stability. Oh and the whole premium thing, complete fucking rip off...why should I have to wait in a queue before warping?

crash, crash, crash....In my 30+ years of PC gaming I don't think I've EVER had as many issues as I've had with PS2...warp to another continent...crash....access Sunderer's terminal....crash

I think I'm done with the POS for now. SOE is too goddamn concerned without putting out $20 pistols and $10 helmets rather than just focusing on optimization and stability. Oh and the whole premium thing, complete fucking rip off...why should I have to wait in a queue before warping?

It is a free to play game and Sony need to earn money somehow to pay developers salaries and CEO bonuses :) If you do not like that business model then this game just is not for you.

Regarding crashes it seems it differs from user to user. Mine crashes may be once per 24 hours.

Here I thought all the MAX characters were equal I'm Vanu I stopped playing as much as the first of the year though when you conquer everything it's like been there done that.

Yeah playing as Vanu has been a bit rough lately. I don't play much but it seems like we are getting our ass kicked fairly often. I have like 2500 SC and no idea what to spend it on. I am pretty much a noob in terms of certs and equipment so what is fun or essential for a good kit? Just looking to be effective and helpful.

It's hard to say, some things get nerfed quickly.

The Lancer is a fun Vanu specific weapon for heavy assault class. It's anti-vehicle, its a laser. It does about half the damage of most rockets, but its advantage is ridiculous against the new harasser vehicle. It's really fun to scare off light-aircraft with as well. EDIT: Very fun to shoot MAX units with as well, try it in the VR it's super effective.

My suggestion is make a second toon to go into the VR, to try out things. If you use your primary toon it messes up the loadouts currently.

It's hard to say, some things get nerfed quickly.

The Lancer is a fun Vanu specific weapon for heavy assault class. It's anti-vehicle, its a laser. It does about half the damage of most rockets, but its advantage is ridiculous against the new harasser vehicle. It's really fun to scare off light-aircraft with as well. EDIT: Very fun to shoot MAX units with as well, try it in the VR it's super effective.

My suggestion is make a second toon to go into the VR, to try out things. If you use your primary toon it messes up the loadouts currently.

Thanks! Wilco.

Name is xspaceman in game btw. Add me if you want. I generally pub with the vindicators.

One thing I found out when I first started playing is that if you use the steam download version. . . just don't do it.

Also I really really want to start getting into this game but it is just kicking my ass. Is there a Platoon or anything that caters to helping out newbies? :p

It is a free to play game and Sony need to earn money somehow to pay developers salaries and CEO bonuses :) If you do not like that business model then this game just is not for you.

Regarding crashes it seems it differs from user to user. Mine crashes may be once per 24 hours.

A developer's business model should have absolutely NOTHING to do with a game's performance/stability in relation to in-game microtransactions...that's just setting yourself up for failure

That being said, I'm not some freeloader who just got into the game. I've invested about $40 into SC since beta and I subbed back in January

Anyone still playing?

I'm liking the patch progression. My system seems to do alright. I brought my first character up to 25 without playing medic. Then I learned that you can level a lot easier if you heal/Rez. Now I have three tunes, and with the server merge, they are all together on Connery. It's fun bouncing between the factions.

If you haven't given this FTP MMOFPS a chance, download and try it.

I just downloaded it, gonna finally try getting into it more... I didn't end up getting time to play during beta :( much.

The game isn't 100% stable yet, but it is very close. FWIW, I had about the same amount of problems with this game as I did BF3, which still wasn't much. I also don't use the Steam version, which I see more and more complaints about people having to verify game cache after a patch (which seem to come out quite often every other week or so).

I for one haven't had a crash in a month, and prior to march, maybe once a week. The only time it was worse was prior to december, right after launch.

If you really are having that many crashes, you might want to reinstall the game and/or verify files if you have the Steam version. If that isn't the issue, then you need to check your system, update your video card drivers (make sure you aren't running betas especially), then re-check the stability of any overclocks (especially the video card).

The most common issue I have is textures flash in and out. The issue used to crash my system, but since the latest game patches and driver updates, they will happen for only a brief period (30 seconds) before going away on their own.

Anyone still playing?

I'm liking the patch progression. My system seems to do alright. I brought my first character up to 25 without playing medic. Then I learned that you can level a lot easier if you heal/Rez. Now I have three tunes, and with the server merge, they are all together on Connery. It's fun bouncing between the factions.

If you haven't given this FTP MMOFPS a chance, download and try it.
I still play quite often. TR on Mattherson with clan AOD. We are consistently outnumbered as there is a population inbalance. The infantry weapons are also very much outbalanced and heavily favor the NC and Vanu at the moment. They toned down the NC scatter maxxes last patch which did help, but infantry weapons remain a sore spot. Its not so much the other factions weapons are overpowered, its more like the TR faction specific weapons are just shitty. They introduced a lot of horizontal recoil in our faction specific weapons last patch, enough so that even foregrips don't help. Every 2nd or 3rd round seems to be way off to the right or left, regardless if you burst fire or not. Fortunately, I have since invested in the NS weapons like the NS-15, NS-11, and NS-11C, and that seems to help a ton.

Last edited:
I still play quite often. TR on Mattherson with clan AOD. We are consistently outnumbered as there is a population inbalance. The infantry weapons are also very much outbalanced and heavily favor the NC and Vanu at the moment. They toned down the NC scatter maxxes last patch which did help, but infantry weapons remain a sore spot. Its not so much the other factions weapons are overpowered, its more like the TR faction specific weapons are just shitty. They introduced a lot of horizontal recoil in our faction specific weapons last patch, enough so that even foregrips don't help. Every 2nd or 3rd round seems to be way off to the right or left, regardless if you burst fire or not. Fortunately, I have since invested in the NS weapons like the NS-15, NS-11, and NS-11C, and that seems to help a ton.

Welcome to how us NC felt about our weapons from the end of beta until they changed the flinch mechanics recently. While my main character is NC on Connery with the NC Golden Eagles I also play a lot as TR on Mattherson with Validus Gamers. I do find it amusing switching between the two servers and hearing my outfit members moan and complain about the other faction. I don't have too much issue with current TR weaponry but I do miss the pinpoint accuracy of my TMG-50 and I wish the second shot for the SABR13 would be more on target.

do find it amusing switching between the two servers and hearing my outfit members moan and complain about the other faction.

Sounds like the old days in DAOC ;). Except that was even more exaggerated because they had some classes that weren't even rough mirrors but mostly unique :D.

I've heard from a relative that runs with AOD that there have been tons of crash problems. I haven't played since the latest patch, but before that I can't recall a single crash while playing.

In regards to the imbalance, I think a large portion of the problem is that TR don't really... eh... strategize. I was playing in a few alerts and we'd spend 30+ minutes trying to take and later hold an AMP station. I probably don't understand it properly, but an AMP station only takes up a few hexes... the same as a couple of outposts. The difference being, that outposts take significantly less time to capture, and require a smaller force. that, and we would attack both NC and VS... which is crazy. I've seen our territory go from <50% at the start of an alert, to >20%. Sometimes that happens when there is only a 5% difference in population between the VS and TR...

The biggest TR problems I've seen are:

-TE
-No strategy for weakening the VS (eliminating their access to Mag riders would be huge).
-Attacking large bases
-Defending large bases when we could allow the opponents to waste their time on them.
-Not cutting off flanking attacks.
-Blaming defeat on collaboration between VS and NC (they are inherently working against us, because there are 3 factions!), when our forces attack the center of the map... with both other factions flanking us.
-No mixed forces (almost completely made up of infantry and some armor groups). Air power almost non-existent.

Whew. :p

I've heard from a relative that runs with AOD that there have been tons of crash problems. I haven't played since the latest patch, but before that I can't recall a single crash while playing.

In regards to the imbalance, I think a large portion of the problem is that TR don't really... eh... strategize. I was playing in a few alerts and we'd spend 30+ minutes trying to take and later hold an AMP station. I probably don't understand it properly, but an AMP station only takes up a few hexes... the same as a couple of outposts. The difference being, that outposts take significantly less time to capture, and require a smaller force. that, and we would attack both NC and VS... which is crazy. I've seen our territory go from <50% at the start of an alert, to >20%. Sometimes that happens when there is only a 5% difference in population between the VS and TR...

The biggest TR problems I've seen are:

-TE
-No strategy for weakening the VS (eliminating their access to Mag riders would be huge).
-Attacking large bases
-Defending large bases when we could allow the opponents to waste their time on them.
-Not cutting off flanking attacks.
-Blaming defeat on collaboration between VS and NC (they are inherently working against us, because there are 3 factions!), when our forces attack the center of the map... with both other factions flanking us.
-No mixed forces (almost completely made up of infantry and some armor groups). Air power almost non-existent.

Whew. :p
LMAO. So true. So true. I am getting increasingly frustrated with the lack of ingenuity from my clan. No strategy. I understand the need to hold the line. They express this desire because they seem to think that no one else will on Mattherson. However, it becomes detrimental many times. There is also a lot of in-fighting between the TR on Mattherson as well.

The weapon imbalance is there. Higby even acknowledged it with the current state of the Vanu Maxes. There was also a recent thread on the SOE forums about a TR revamp. That being said, it isn't insurmountable just like you mentioned.

And I will take back anything I mentioned about the crash problems. Last patch and subsequent hotfix, nothing but crashes from my clan members over ventrilo. I was fortunately spared with only 1 crash.

As far as blaming defeat on collaboration between the NC and VS. It is VERY REAL on the Mattherson server. I even posted some videos showing the clear collaboration with Vanu and NC standing right next to each other alongside voice and chat comms showing as such. It was happening for several months but has recently died down.

As far as TE is concerned...Buzz is an arrogant ass, but an arrogant ass that gets things done. I don't respect him for the TK'ing incident, but I do respect his ability to "will" his entire clan to do his bidding. Unfortunately, he believes his clan is the only clan, and that causes problems with coordination.

TE cog/meatshield #1351 here. I'd like to give you some insight on why you see this from one of the more visible outfits on Matherson. While I can't speak for other outfits, the reasoning is probably the same.

In The Enclave, we had revived our dedicated air wing from ps1, Talon, for a few months, but we found that airpower in this game isn't as useful as having another rifleman. As a result, we deactivated Talon. At best, it provided some amazing visuals from the ground while they flew overhead and dominated the skies. We, that is to say the TR, enjoy the best ESF at the moment and even that couldn't justify Talon's continued operation at the expense of having less riflemen. Again, riflemen continue to be the most useful force multiplier in this game with the latest update.

With regards to armor, they're in a similar spot to airpower in being useless to us, especially after the HE nerf in the distant past. The main difference here is that not only is armor in general useless to us, but we suffer a pathetic MBT in the Prowler.

We might be to blame for that. We don't play this game in terms of conquest as it is currently pointless. We did that close to launch and quickly lost interest; after all, when you're running with around 100 guys every weeknight, you tend to want to play together and in massive firefights. As a result, we specifically go to where we can find a massive fight. It isn't fun dropping a couple of squads here and a couple of squads there like we used to do in order to continent lock pre-lattice; no one likes a ghost cap - it's boring as hell. If we really wanted to be bored out of our minds 99.999% of the time, we'd join the armed forces.

So basically, what you see as a lack of strategy is actually the result of a significant number of the TR not wasting time with that and instead going to where a good fight is. We like to fight together with all our guys in the same hex and we like to fight equal or greater forces. One of the most disappointing things is dropping on a hex that says "40+ enemies" only to find that there were 42 guys there to deal with our 100 (as is the case with, say, AT). We want the fight to drag out and be enjoyable and I don't think that we're the only TR outfit who thinks this way. Lattice helped us find fights a lot more easily, but until owning a continent actually means something like in PS1, we aren't going to care about Strategy (save on those rare nights when Buzz decides that we'll work combined ops with the rest of the TR).

I hope that helps to explain what you're seeing on Matherson.

As far as TE is concerned...Buzz is an arrogant ass...

I'll never understand what people have against Buzz : \
Then again, I can't think of any other personalities in the game that people would recognize aside from maybe Malorn, but he's a dev now.

Last edited:
Back