Planetside 2 announcement tonight

Hopefully it's F2P, I played the original Planetside for 1.5 years but there is no way an fps will survive with a model based on a monthly subscription.

Hopefully it's F2P, I played the original Planetside for 1.5 years but there is no way an fps will survive with a model based on a monthly subscription.

As long as it provides value for that $, why not? Hope it isn't F2P, I want decent support and continued expansion.

Did Planetside ever have cheats/aimbots? That would really suck; none were around for the time I played it.

As long as it provides value for that $, why not? Hope it isn't F2P, I want decent support and continued expansion.

Did Planetside ever have cheats/aimbots? That would really suck; none were around for the time I played it.

I just don't think the average fps player will pay a monthly subscription no matter how good the game is. A game like Planetside needs to have a large population, the appeal is logging on and seeing 1000 people fighting on a continent.

For instance, during the free beta for Planetside there were tons of people and the game was amazing. Over the course of the next several months the population shrank and it was getting harder and harder to find the kind of epic battles we were getting during beta.

Recent mmo's have shown that f2p with microtransactions can work. IMO Planetside 2 will only survive if it's f2p.

I just don't think the average fps player will pay a monthly subscription no matter how good the game is. A game like Planetside needs to have a large population, the appeal is logging on and seeing 1000 people fighting on a continent.

For instance, during the free beta for Planetside there were tons of people and the game was amazing. Over the course of the next several months the population shrank and it was getting harder and harder to find the kind of epic battles we were getting during beta.

Recent mmo's have shown that f2p with microtransactions can work. IMO Planetside 2 will only survive if it's f2p.

At the same time, how do they get money going F2P without making you pay money for small things here and there?

At the same time, how do they get money going F2P without making you pay money for small things here and there?

You'd still have to buy the game, also they would have to implement microtransactions of some sort. If Guild Wars 2, D&D Online, LOTRO, Conan can be f2p I see no reason why Planetside 2 can't be either.

I would imagine they would charge a small fee for more character customizations and access to sidegrades for vehicles and weapons. For instance instead of driving the stock ATV you could pay a few dollars and get the souped up version.

They actually did add in-game advertisements (wall posters) to Planetside. They were just in some spawn rooms and weren't that invasive. I'd rather have those than micro-transactions (e.g. hats) and unique buy-able guns/equipment.

Last edited:
They actually did add in-game advertisements (wall posters) to Planetside. They were just in some spawn rooms and weren't that invasive. I'd rather have those than micro-transactions (e.g. hats) and unique buy-able guns/equipment.

Yeah, but do those adverts pay enough? Planetside 1 was pay to play, yes?

I played the Planetside beta, and it was awesome. I was fully ready to pay for it as being the first MMO ever that I bought into. However, just before it got out of beta, they removed all the free Battle points (before you got 10 initially, which was enough to get some armor and a specialized weapon) and loaded up the servers so much that the lag was unbearable (~500 ms ping times all the time). Quit playing it and never looked back.

I think it should be B2P rather than F2P. The F2P concept just ends up being pay to win. They would need to avoid putting gamebreaking stuff in the cash shop. Compared to an MMORPG, an MMOFPS has to take a lot less development resources to maintain. They could probably get away without a cash shop if they wanted, and solely make money off expansions.

Last edited:
Planetside 1 was $15 a month which was one of it's downfalls. Turns out there's not a lot of people willing to pay $15 per month for an fps.

But no problem throwing away $60 each month on games like DNF, Homefront, Brink, etc and then complain here over and over.

You have to realize the nature of this game; The company must buy many many, very powerful servers, as well as bandwidth and pay developers for constant content updates and patches, much more so than expected from a single player game these days (the majority of which receive no patches whatsoever after release).

All that is not free for the company and a one time fee of $60 simply can't cover that

But no problem throwing away $60 each month on games like DNF, Homefront, Brink, etc and then complain here over and over.

You have to realize the nature of this game; The company must buy many many, very powerful servers, as well as bandwidth and pay developers for constant content updates and patches, much more so than expected from a single player game these days (the majority of which receive no patches whatsoever after release).

All that is not free for the company and a one time fee of $60 simply can't cover that

Then explains Guild Wars and the upcoming Guild Wars 2. The fact is, server space and bandwidth have drastically come down in price over the last decade. Just as it came down in price the decade before that. There was a time when people thought not paying $6 an hour was unrealistic for an MMO.

Last edited:
Then explains Guild Wars and the upcoming Guild Wars 2. The fact is, server space and bandwidth have drastically come down in price over the last decade. Just as it came down in price the decade before that. There was a time when people thought not paying $6 and hour was unrealistic for an MMO.

They got you on expansions with GW1. The game regardless fizzled out. Moreover, it was never popular enough for the cost of servers to be that high.

And GW2...you mean the GW2 due out 3 years ago? no...4 years ago. Maybe 5. Or 6.

Servers cost A LOT of money. Power. Maitenance. IT. Cooling...etc.

There's also the matter of where to host them. Most probably choose to buy servers instead of renting them to save costs in the long run. That means they must purchase a building to host them in (and those won't be hosted in some employee's basement in the suburbs, they will be in a downtown area, where the cost per square foot is super expensive). Then you must factor in the electricity cost to power all of them, check ups, repairs, part replacements, hard drive space, redundancy... it's a lot of dough

You have no idea. It was riddled with them the past few years. I am watching the stream atm. Can't wait.

They got you on expansions with GW1. The game regardless fizzled out. Moreover, it was never popular enough for the cost of servers to be that high.

And GW2...you mean the GW2 due out 3 years ago? no...4 years ago. Maybe 5. Or 6.

Servers cost A LOT of money. Power. Maitenance. IT. Cooling...etc.

Guild Wars 2 was announced less than 4 years ago. It has never had a release date.

Guild Wars 1 has sold 7 million. It was extremely profitable, enough that it is what has funded Guild Wars 2 development.

Guild Wars 2 was announced less than 4 years ago. It has never had a release date.

Guild Wars 1 has sold 7 million. It was extremely profitable, enough that it is what has funded Guild Wars 2 development.

The number given is "guild wars units" - is this GW, the BASE GAME units sold? Or is this all GW titles added together? How many people got all games (original + 3 expansions was it?) If it's counting expansions, my point stands.

They nail you on expansions. You still pay a decent amount (60/expansion) and replay value, as my friends and I found, was nill. Cities had regions. Outside the city was an instance, which sucked. It was meant to be played with a few friends....that's it. It's no WoW.

No new content came in outside of an expansion. WoW and P2P games are different, in that the fee also gets you new content at times.

Nice!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCp_rgAkfc"]YouTube - ‪PlanetSide 2 Trailer‬‏[/ame]

read the faq.

no info on release date yet or on the business model they are using for planetside 2 yet.

nvidia was just on stage. planetside 2 and everquest next will use soe's new "light forge" engine.

supports modern features (thats my terminology, i didnt write down everything it supports).

but of most concern to us.

this engine supports physx in hardware. its going to be implemented in both planetside 2 and everquest next.

Trailer is up!!! Looks great!

Ya think?

The graphics aren't great - I mean, better than Planetside 1, for sure, but still pretty much a number of years back. So the video won't win any converts, there. As to Planetside's main selling point - massive battles - well, the video doesn't show that, either.

Anyone see a scene in that where they could DEFINITELY see more than 32 players? (Re-watching the video, I don't think I ever saw *definitely* more than 16 players in any one scene) I hope they don't try to keep the server requirements down by making combat 'instances'.

So - I dunno. Video phale. It doesn't do anything effective to sell the game, except announce, 'Hey, Planetside - remember that? No? Well, most people don't seem to, that's why it failed. But, hey, if you do - check this out!'

planetside keynote notes:

- forge light engine

- no instancing, open world combat

- new territory control and conquest mode. (every square inch of the map is contestable).

- owning a territory gains you, your squad, and your side resources. these can be used to upgrade weapons, armor, and vehicles in the game.

- they are hoping to use resources for a sandbox style of gameplay. he didnt really elaborate on that though

- planetside 2 introduces classes into planetside. each class will have its own upgrade path.

- introduces a certification tree for each class. this will be an offline, time based skill system just like in eve online (they even mentioned it was like eve's skill system).

What faggotry is this? A wow fanboy? GW fizzled out? And what is this shit talk of GW2? It looks fucking awesome man.

Back