Planetary Annihilation new RTS like total annihilation and supreme commander

They haven't moved on. They are constantly updating it. Like most devs, they have more than one team.

Offline mode finally coming Oct 9th!

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/offline-play-is-coming-october-9.64936/

Online? Offline? However you want to play Planetary Annihilation, it’s your choice. Starting this week, you can take your battles completely offline.

We’re happy to announce the release of the offline server. Coming in an update this Thursday (October 9), offline server allows you to take over the galaxy in Galactic War without connecting to the Internet. You can also battle against your frenemies or the AI over a LAN.

DRM free offline play has always been an important feature of the Planetary Annihilation experience. Down the road, we’ll be adding the ability to run your own online servers as well.

As we’ve said in the past, launch is simply another phase of development and the beginning of another adventure. Look forward to another update on an exciting in-development feature in the near future.

yah, its a real kick in the face to those who backed it.
Like many others, Im a huge TA fan, and I still consider TA:CC the greatest game of all time.
and I had high hopes for this....but it feels unfinished, and to see that they basically rushed it out after getting paid and have already moved onto another project in somewhat insulting.
Considering this whole thing was to resurrect a game we all love, only to have to tossed aside already.

Yeah.. i'm still waiting for an AI that doesn't blatantly cheat and/or be Stupid difficult on even the easiest setting.

The tutorial is STILL missing, even though they "launched" the game.

Offline mode, still with no saves?!

Bah... Time to take the loss on this game... And move on... And move away from uber games...

Offline play is good (can't believe they didn't have this before now), but no saves, really? Back in the TA days I could turtle and games would last hours...no saves is a huge oversight.

damn those videos make that game look badass.

It IS badass. I never actually understood the hate for SupCom. SupCom 2 I can see because it was a lot different (though I actually liked both), but SupCom, especially with FA, felt like a decent successor to TA.

Got the notice uber put on another former Supcom Dev. on the PA team...

Guess they might be nervous about their new KS project...

Anyways...

Offline mode, still with no saves?!

Bah... Time to take the loss on this game... And move on... And move away from uber games...

Offline play is good (can't believe they didn't have this before now), but no saves, really? Back in the TA days I could turtle and games would last hours...no saves is a huge oversight.

Best you can do is if you dont want to play any more or at least not lose ALL your galactic battle do an alt+f4 in game, kills the game and keeps your save.

As to why they can't implement this IN the game is stupid..

am I the only one whos pissed they wasted dev time making this new game instead of finishing PA?

It IS badass. I never actually understood the hate for SupCom. SupCom 2 I can see because it was a lot different (though I actually liked both), but SupCom, especially with FA, felt like a decent successor to TA.

Honestly, I think the sole problem was that it was developed/released too early. They should have waited until both quad-core CPUs were mainstream AND they had the budget/resources to fully multi-thread the game to utilize 100% of all four cores.

Even a 100% utilized dual-core (which I am not even sure if SupCom fully uses even two cores), is not enough to run large-scale games, which is what SupCom excels at. And the vast majority of gamers did not even have quad-cores when it came out, even if they had multi-threaded the game for quads.

They just tried to do too much too soon. Also, I think the super-zoom might have been a mistake to some degree as well. People want to SEE the insane battles, that's one of the big reasons people play RTS games instead of TBS games. But when you are at a disadvantage to your opponent any time you zoom in...

The super-zoom is probably years too early even now. Would not be a problem if most people had dual-monitors or super-large monitors, both of which is still a while away.

Sup Com was awesome with a 42" and a 24" for the minimap. I had a E6600 and a 9600gt video card and man did it ever crawl on huge fights. Not necessarily from me, but the other people I was playing with.

It totally kinda ruined the game's online play. I still boot it up every once in a blue moon and have a multi hour long match against AI.

Sup Com was awesome with a 42" and a 24" for the minimap.

I ran it on a 19" and a 17" Samsung CRT's with a Athlon64x2 4400+, 4gigs of ddr1. and a 7800gs 256mb.... Good times but yeah things would slow to a crawl when shit hit the fan heh.

I didn't read this whole thread (it's huge) but was this the game that hit steam at $90 and now it's $6?

Yeah, the $90 was mainly because they didn't want to screw over Kickstarters who paid $50+ when they started offering it on Steam Early Access.

Unfortunately the end product did not live up to what was expected and thus I imagine sales are not good, hence the $6 price tag now.

I actually did Kickstart this for $50 or so...supposed to get some sort of special commander I thought, but I haven't seen that yet. Then again, I haven't touched the game in awhile, either.

Sounds like they tried to do way too much and ended up doing everything mediocre. But that's what happens when you hype the hell out of the game with features you have no idea how to implement with current technology in order to try to get more pre-release money. Even people like Totalbiscuit who were looking forward to it initially are just recommending it at these low sale prices only.

Sounds like they tried to do way too much and ended up doing everything mediocre. But that's what happens when you hype the hell out of the game with features you have no idea how to implement with current technology in order to try to get more pre-release money. Even people like Totalbiscuit who were looking forward to it initially are just recommending it at these low sale prices only.
If the same thing happens to Star Citizen, I fear someone will burn the forum down. :p

Mediocre would be a giant step up for this garbage. I dislike hating on a game, but there is SO much potential for a game of this type. These guys screwed up big time on this, and considering the experience of some of the devs involved, highly disappointing.

How bad is this game? I picked it up on sale for $5 during Holyday Sale. Isnt this supposed to be like Total Annihilation? I loved that game, had everything for it, Core Contingency, Battle Tactics, 3rd party Modded units. Playing Multiplayer over 56k, oh them memories!

I honestly didn't think this game was that bad back when I last played it (in Gamma or something? It was awhile back). I think it just under-delivered on what people were expecting. I imagine it's worth $5, though.

How bad is this game? I picked it up on sale for $5 during Holyday Sale. Isnt this supposed to be like Total Annihilation? I loved that game, had everything for it, Core Contingency, Battle Tactics, 3rd party Modded units. Playing Multiplayer over 56k, oh them memories!

The AI cheats rather badly. It's definately playable but my overall impression of the finished product is "meh". If I want a sort of nostalgia trip i'll play the first Supreme Commander.

I got it on a steam sale too, and played it maybe an hour and felt hugely ripped off. It is like a terrible version of SupCom.

Looked into this "other" game you guys were talking about. It failed its Kickstarter in October. Yeah, they were an existing game company that made games/money before this one, started a kickstarter that ended up surpassing all their gameplay-related extended kickstarter goals, raised more money through early access, simultaneously released/sold two mobile games that made more money, then released/sold PA as an unfinished game that although may now be "finished" months later, still does not meet peoples' expectations, made more money, and then tried to get people to fund a second kickstarter...

Anyway, this other game has been dead for now, at least until it is revived. So although they tried to move to another game, right now all they have is PA to update, unless they are working on something secretly.

Last edited:
Looked into this "other" game you guys were talking about. It failed its Kickstarter in October. Yeah, they were an existing game company that made games/money before this one, started a kickstarter that ended up surpassing all their gameplay-related extended kickstarter goals, raised more money through early access, simultaneously released/sold two mobile games that made more money, then released/sold PA as an unfinished game that although may now be "finished" months later, still does not meet peoples' expectations, made more money, and then tried to get people to fund a second kickstarter...

Anyway, this other game has been dead for now, at least until it is revived. So although they tried to move to another game, right now all they have is PA to update, unless they are working on something secretly.

Yah, I fell into the scam. My love for TA was enough to blind me from doing my due diligence.

Jeez if its selling for 5 bux thats a really bad sign...Starcraft 2 never gets even close to that price & its been out for ages. I guess our only hope is for the original creator of Total Annihilation Chris Taylor to take the vision of Supreme Commander to the next level. No one else out there is evolving the RTS genre...Supreme Commander was the only game that pushed RTS gaming forward with strat zoom & truly epic RTS gameplay. But anyways I feel like gaming in general has not gone anywhere gameplay wise...the only thing that's changed really is graphics.

Yah, I fell into the scam. My love for TA was enough to blind me from doing my due diligence.

To be fair, their previous game, Monday Night Combat, was not all that bad, at least in my opinion. So it was not like they had a bad record and people were "falling for their scam." Kickstarters are normally for smaller companies that cannot afford big risky projects like PA. Which was exactly the case here. It is not like so many KS projects where it is clear the developers have zero chance of creating a game as complex as they are suggesting with the relatively small fundraising goal they created. For example, several of the recent MMOG kickstarters. So I do not think you or others could have seen it coming in this case. Just a normal risk of KS, which unfortunately is necessary for some good games to even exist.

Jeez if its selling for 5 bux thats a really bad sign...Starcraft 2 never gets even close to that price & its been out for ages. I guess our only hope is for the original creator of Total Annihilation Chris Taylor to take the vision of Supreme Commander to the next level. No one else out there is evolving the RTS genre...Supreme Commander was the only game that pushed RTS gaming forward with strat zoom & truly epic RTS gameplay. But anyways I feel like gaming in general has not gone anywhere gameplay wise...the only thing that's changed really is graphics.

Honestly, I do not think Chris Taylor "has it" anymore. He went overboard with Supreme Commander and ended up releasing a game that was simply too much for modern hardware and was not even future-proof when it came to scaling with future hardware. In some ways he even had to take a step backwards from TA in order to accommodate going so overboard. A good game designer still has to operate within technical limitations. He should have taken it forward from TA, but not too far, released an expansion or two, and then released a fully multi-threaded sequel that went "all out" like he wanted.

Then there was the kickstarter project he attempted that was completely generic. It got a bunch of free advertising and fans were pushing it, but it was such a non-inspirational concept that it utterly failed. Definitely lost confidence in him at that point. It would be one thing if it was a unique idea that failed to gain popularity...but the idea itself was so meh.

Yeah your right Gear but whos to say he cant redeem himself? Noone gets it right every time, you fail, you learn, you make things right. It seems that he was in a desperate situation with his company but now hes with War gaming who is stacked. Im not writing him off or getting my hopes up til I see what hes been up too & supposedly its a sequel to TA. But honestly the only game that truly felt as close to TA yet fresh & new was Supreme Commander. I still remember every game I played my heart would race & it felt like the best RTS experience ever, IMO better than TA. The sad fact is noone else is going to make a game similar to TA or supcom besides the original people who worked on it so there is noone else to look to.. No game has come close to the scope & gameplay options you had in supcom.

Probably not a popular opinion, but IMO the best TA follow-up is still the sequel, Kingdoms. Particularly with the expansion Iron Plague, it was a very good game.

Last I remember about games from this genre was that they were waiting for Mantle and DX12 to allow them to finally innovate within the genre. Basically the current versions of Windows suck and can't handle the amount of calls that they want to use.

Will DX12 be bundled with the new windows 10? Im just shocked that RTS games and fps games in general have not innovated much at all...There are lots of possibilities with the RTS genre Im sure...but instead we just get starcraft with better graphics...

Got a notice the game is FINALLY getting a save/load function, only 1+ year late I guess.

Still not enough to push me to reinstall it though, still I figured I'd post about it in case somebody would be in interested.

Got a notice the game is FINALLY getting a save/load function, only 1+ year late I guess.

Still not enough to push me to reinstall it though, still I figured I'd post about it in case somebody would be in interested.

you've got to be joking. You couldn't save your game until now?

you've got to be joking. You couldn't save your game until now?

No... No... Not joking, so, so sad these devs...

Single Player Save/Load first pass!
Posted by Uber Entertainment Inc
Hey all! Over the last month, we’ve been pushing on getting save/load working in the single player side of PA. We’ve also done tons of balance tweaks based on feedback and our balance folks watching replays and streams, added 2 new maps (1 for ranked play and 1 for general play), did some fairly big performance improvements for large army fights, and hit as many bugs and polish items as we could.
This is the first pass of our save/load work, so you’ll see it missing items we want in the final.

Well... No... the load/save probably won't actually be 100% functional yet. Seems it's really hard work for these guys.

W. T. F.!?

Just speechless...

I just don't get these devs...

Wow. What on earth happened. I mean I thought it was a pretty normal in-over-their-heads kickstarter failure. But months of post-release development on savegame functionality? Something went terribly wrong somewhere along the road...

Ok...

I've dumped on this game quite a bit, and so in the interest to be fair I figured I'd post this. Some of you may have received yet another Kickstarter E-Mail for PA... well take a look at E-Mail #116.

Seems Uber is giving all the original unfortunate Kickstarter backers a free copy of their NEW Planetary Annihilation: TITANS.

Good? Bad? No idea... Just figured I'd give people a heads up on it.

They gave those of us that bought the original 66% off on the Steam Store. Not going to lie, the Titans trailer looked epic.

Back