Planetary Annihilation new RTS like total annihilation and supreme commander

Having this thread pop up makes me wish Ashes of the Singularity doesn't launch like this game did.

ok.... so... I decided to try out this revamped Titans game...

I reinstalled my old copy, it updated itself to Titans, good so far.

Same music, but it is actually pretty good.

Start by the new tutorial...

And, well..

(new) Mouse issues, after +/- 5 minutes I can't click stuff properly, the clicks just don't register (mouse itself is fine). Sooooo... game breaking bug, can't play.

Ok, so I decide to try a regular skirmish vs AI. Maybe it's just a tutorial problem.

While selecting landing zone I get a Fatal Error and crash out.

Well, I tried.

I'm running this on my Windows 10 rig, so maybe it doesn't run well on 10. At any rate, it's still too buggy to for me to play... and.... well, I'm probably not going to bother with it anymore.

be warned. PA eats RAM & VRAM . With 8gig of RAM I ran into similar issues for epic battles.

The titans are nice. The BOT factory has been bazzed up alot.

the adv bot now produces mini commanders and they can build titans.

Yeah, I noticed RAM usage for PA was over 2GB for the couple minutes it would work, which is pretty high for just starting a game. That rig has 12GB so there still was plenty of memory left though. VRAM was about 1GB maxed out.

is there any more of a SP campaign? I don't do multiplayer. I picked up PA but had not installed it because people said there was only rudimentary SP and it did not really save game state.

this made me so sad. I LOVED supreme commander, i still play forged alliance, still think its the best rts ever made. So sad

Having this thread pop up makes me wish Ashes of the Singularity doesn't launch like this game did.

Wouldn't think so.

From really wierd coding issues like basic save/load problems to very questionable community relations, PA is an EXTREME example of how wrong developement of a game can go IMO.

Stardock have a very good track record. I really like RTS games and if I could afford to buy into the alpha build right now I would. Sadly right now it's not possible for me.

Wouldn't think so.

From really wierd coding issues like basic save/load problems to very questionable community relations, PA is an EXTREME example of how wrong developement of a game can go IMO.

Stardock have a very good track record. I really like RTS games and if I could afford to buy into the alpha build right now I would. Sadly right now it's not possible for me.

I might buy Ashes sometime next month. If I do I'll toss you a coupon. ;) Like you, I don't like spending $50 on a game. I love sales! But the allure of playing with DX12 is very strong. :)

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/470410/Ashes_Tentative_Schedule

3Q2015: Founder's Program Phase II. Benchmark build made available to public, basic single player AI is now in (good enough to provide a reasonable challenge already). Map editor tools provided. Official DirectX 12 build (the map editor won't work on DX 12 yet though). Founders will get coupons for additional keys to share with their friends to help us build up the community.

http://www.pcgamer.com/planetary-annihilation-titans-resurrects-a-flawed-rts-and-its-out-today/

There were bugs everywhere, and the tutorials were of poor-quality. Planetary Annihilation's flaws were of a scale to its ambitions, and while it developed a passionate following, it always felt like there was a better game somewhere inside Planetary Annihilation, buried beneath a poor interface and a hurried release.
A year later, and Uber Entertainment have unearthed that better game.

Oh, you mean the game it SHOULD of been that people paid for and never actually got..so now lets release a "new" version of the game which is really 99% of the old game but we added some bigger robots now so it is "new" and not a patch so we can charge for it. And on top of that already have various issues with the game....cause our QA is just "ubertastic"

Last edited:
I was interested in the game a while ago but never hopped on board as RTS just isn't really my thing anymore. I'll say, however, that trailer was fucking awesome.

I was an original Kickstarter so I guess I get Titans for free. Might have to give this one another go.

http://www.pcgamer.com/planetary-annihilation-titans-resurrects-a-flawed-rts-and-its-out-today/

Oh, you mean the game it SHOULD of been that people paid for and never actually got..so now lets release a "new" version of the game which is really 99% of the old game but we added some bigger robots now so it is "new" and not a patch so we can charge for it. And on top of that already have various issues with the game....cause our QA is just "ubertastic"
On the other hand, you can't deny that it is a failed Kickstarter. It did actually pull through.

How many Kickstarters really pull through?

I might buy Ashes sometime next month. If I do I'll toss you a coupon. ;) Like you, I don't like spending $50 on a game. I love sales! But the allure of playing with DX12 is very strong. :)

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/470410/Ashes_Tentative_Schedule

3Q2015: Founder's Program Phase II. Benchmark build made available to public, basic single player AI is now in (good enough to provide a reasonable challenge already). Map editor tools provided. Official DirectX 12 build (the map editor won't work on DX 12 yet though). Founders will get coupons for additional keys to share with their friends to help us build up the community.

Much obliged if you do! :). The timing is awkward with back to school shopping.

Since I really enjoy Mantle games I'm also eager for Ashes.

On the other hand, you can't deny that it is a failed Kickstarter. It did actually pull through.

How many Kickstarters really pull through?

For sure, the game could be awesome and i own PA and i have enjoyed it for the times the game actually worked (local server.. how long did that take)

But these dev's need to deliver on what they promised people from the kick starter even..

How does this compare to TA and SupCom? I really liked those games so am wondering if I'd like this one.

the base game was crap is was just one massive blob of stuff vs a blob of stuff, the ai was a joke and would just mass 1 or 2 types of units and just stay on one world and it ran bad

Hey everyone. I just started this game up last night for the 1st time after buying it months and months ago. When I started it however, I didn't see a tutorial anywhere. Is there one in-game?

Hey everyone. I just started this game up last night for the 1st time after buying it months and months ago. When I started it however, I didn't see a tutorial anywhere. Is there one in-game?

There isn't one, the game wasn't really complete when it was pushed out the door as "finished". As it is the AI sucks, having to resort to outright cheating to accomplish anything.

How does this compare to TA and SupCom? I really liked those games so am wondering if I'd like this one.

PA: Ambitious, but rubbish.

I updated it last night, but haven't played the titan update yet.

I actually haven't played in quite a while, the only real winning strategy against humans was a bot spam, basic features missing for months after 'release' (why would you want to load or save a game that might go on for hours?) while they tinkered with gimmicky (but cool) features like unit cannons.

There's a lot that's neat, but not all that much that's good. Pick it up when it's $5 again, you won't have to wait long.

I was in gradeschool, probably grade 6 when I first saw TA. I had been buying PCXL magazines and saw screens. Purchased it when it came out, and being a kid who spent the next 5 years with a 14.4k dialup connection, I played thousands of hours of skirmish games over the years. TA was my gaming life. Hell, I still play TA.

Wasnt a fan of SC when it came out, but I have come to enjoy it over the years. SC2 is a bowl of dog vomit.

When I saw the PA kickstrater I pledged right away. Release was terrible, and I think I spent an hour with it before giving up.

Got the email for my free titians. Played 4 hours of ai skirmish so far and I enjoy it. Its got its flaws, but some stuff is really innovative and fun.
I feel though that the maps are far to small. 40min into a match and your base is basically pressing up against the enemy base. The planets need to be atleast 5x bigger.

For sure, the game could be awesome and i own PA and i have enjoyed it for the times the game actually worked (local server.. how long did that take)

But these dev's need to deliver on what they promised people from the kick starter even..

There is only one thing that they have not delivered on and that was multiplayer GW, but it seems that was too epic to figure out...

so what exactly, as per the Kickstart, have they not delivered on?

Tried PA:T over the week-end. Same AI issues - opponent builds an million unit flying army, has no way to move it off the planet, hogs down CPU resources. Sound output starts to distort pretty quickly with large battles. But at least now there's a way to break them using 50 orbital pew-pewer and factories to build a titan.
"Normal" difficulty is a joke, "Hard" is easy. If you got a general commander, you can crank it on the galactic war all the way up.. with 2 AI team-mates there's no difficulty whatsoever.

In any case, not sure how dev can justify this being a stand-alone game and not a 5 buck DLC.

Is Titans worth the 13 they are charging? There really is no new rts with this style of gameplay....and nothing even on the horizon

I was feeling the urge to play an RTS, so I decided to boot this up and give it a try again. Still a disappointment, so I booted up SupCom FA, and was even more disappointed with how PA turned out. SupCom FA is still fantastic.

The one known as me is Fa still played alot online? I was considering going back ti that game as well. I had epic moment's every time I played! BTW how is the Titans add on?

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the graphics still just placeholders for AOTS?

Where is chris taylor when you need him? I hope hes doing something with the total annihilation IP bc hes the only one that has been able to truly deliver on the next gen RTS front. I wish this game could have made it thru development...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-Xdee1nN8

given that Chris Taylor works for Wargaming.net and i'm going to bet he had some say in Wargaming buying Total Annihilation IP when it went up for auction from Atari. but that was almost 3 years ago.. Wargaming seems to be pretty focused on World of Tanks/Planes/Warships and it's making them quite a bit of money. who knows maybe some time down the road it'll be resurrected.

Tried PA:T over the week-end. Same AI issues - opponent builds an million unit flying army, has no way to move it off the planet, hogs down CPU resources. Sound output starts to distort pretty quickly with large battles. But at least now there's a way to break them using 50 orbital pew-pewer and factories to build a titan.
"Normal" difficulty is a joke, "Hard" is easy. If you got a general commander, you can crank it on the galactic war all the way up.. with 2 AI team-mates there's no difficulty whatsoever.

In any case, not sure how dev can justify this being a stand-alone game and not a 5 buck DLC.

i know this is a old post, but the whole release of Titan was the same way supcom was released.. with the original game then with Forge Alliance, both games were pretty much identical except FA had all the bug fixes that could never be fixed in supcom without making the user pretty much download the entire game again. i think there was a few minor things added to FA but nothing that was really game changing. but both games were stand alone or could be installed together which having the original supcom unlocking a few things in supcom FA.

if you look all the way back to TA it was done similarly with TA + Core Contingency + Battle Tactics.

Last edited:
So sirmonkey are you saying pa with the titans add on is to supcom when FA was added? To me FA added a lot of new strats and gameplay & improved on performance bigtime. Im holding back on titans to see if its really what fa was to supcom bc there really is no other RTS game out there that i care to play online...

Back