Planar PX2611W 26"

impactdax said:
That's a little concerning. I really don't like overly bright monitors. I work on them all day. I don't need them to jump out and say "hey look at me". I just want a high quality picture that is not fatiguing. How did you feel about the lowest setting on the Planar when you had it?
I like it bright, so I'm not the best one to ask about that.

impactdax said:
One more question. Does your response mean that I can have a zero brightness and still have 100% contrast? (assuing I would even want that, not likely) If not what is the contrast at zero brightness and is this too low?
Yes, at 0% brightness, you still have full contrast. The brightness setting just controls the luminance of the backlight.

UrielDagda said:
Yeah, I keep toying with the idea of going cheaper but.. I resist.. I need to make sure the monitor's also viewable from my couch and my eye level a foot or two below the monitor's level. Not sure how well PVA panels would deal with that. I just hope S-IPS can. :D
How far is your couch? S-PVA viewing angles are not a problem from several feet away. In fact, S-PVA panels look better from several feet away because they have better contrast and none of that horrible backlight bleeding. Color shifting is only a problem from a normal viewing distance, and even then, unless you absolutely need color consistency, it's not much of a problem for most people.

So, I would guess that if I, like most people who have posted here, prefer a contrast ratio somewhere around 50 that would mean that the brightness would go down to around 90 at that level?

Just another observation. I have had the 2407 and the 2611 on all day and the Dell feels a lot hotter than the Planar. In fact the Planar has very little heat. Im surprised.....

The 2407 is the hottest LCD that I've ever owned. I seriously think you can lightly fry an egg on the back of that thing :eek:

Still very nice though.

That's another thing I should mention. The brightness on the Planar can only go down to around 180 cd/m². If you want it lower, you have to reduce the contrast, which doesn't look good because the contrast suffers. The NEC is the same way. It has a low brightness mode, but that just cuts the contrast in half. The Apple can go down to 80 cd/m² without affecting the contrast.

In my experience, this is incorrect. I calibrated mine to 150 and still have room.

I just bought the Planar 26" from dell :)

it is backlogged though it seems... It says wont ship for a week and a half but then i was uprgaded to next day shipping for free. shrugs.

tax I paid but the customer service is awesome.

ALSO: 21 day policy for sending back/full satisfaction garauntee applies to this monitor even though it is not a true Dell product. That is worth 86 dollars. you should see what it is like to actually deal with their customer service. I truly believe that people who gave it bad ratings or a bad name were complete fucktards. It is so easy dealing with them, it's nuts.

I just bought the Planar 26" from dell :)

it is backlogged though it seems... It says wont ship for a week and a half but then i was uprgaded to next day shipping for free. shrugs.

tax I paid but the customer service is awesome.

ALSO: 21 day policy for sending back/full satisfaction garauntee applies to this monitor even though it is not a true Dell product. That is worth 86 dollars. you should see what it is like to actually deal with their customer service. I truly believe that people who gave it bad ratings or a bad name were complete fucktards. It is so easy dealing with them, it's nuts.

This is why I went through Dell also for this monitor mainly for the 21day return policy. Maybe could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but this was worth it. Never know when you are going to get a monitor with flaws.

impactdax said:
So, I would guess that if I, like most people who have posted here, prefer a contrast ratio somewhere around 50 that would mean that the brightness would go down to around 90 at that level?
I'm not sure if the contrast setting is linear like that, but you can lower the contrast to reach that level. The contrast will be cut in half though.

Hudder said:
In my experience, this is incorrect. I calibrated mine to 150 and still have room.
And how much contrast is lost?

Not sure if the brightness will bother me.. My CRT is rather bright enough that people complain when they try to use my machine. :D

This is why I went through Dell also for this monitor mainly for the 21day return policy. Maybe could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but this was worth it. Never know when you are going to get a monitor with flaws.

yes yes!

I paid 94 dollars more over Buy.com.

buy gave free shipping and no tax, and 6 dollars less off of 999. 94 dollars is a heck of a lot of money.

however, buy.com doesnt even have a PHONE NUMBER as Toasty told me tonight. only after you correspond can you get one?

21 days risk free is awesome. im ticked I have to wait so long though. could be 2 weeks. sux.

...And I just got the 2707. I shed a tear for the Planar, but the 1080p DVI and VGA problems killed it for me :( Hopefully I made the right choice :confused:

it cant be a bad choice. I dont know about the input lag on it.

no longer does g to g times and all that make any difference with overdrive pumping. input lag has to be the thing that drives someone to kill if they game.

I was seriously considering the 2707 until I saw the nasty 28-50ms input lag ratings on it. I am not sure if input lag would affect me all that much but that high might be fairly annoying.

I set my Brightness to ZERO and Contrast to 50% and still get an excellent image.

When doing the calibration (Eye-One Display 2) I noticed at the end of the process, when saving my new setting (.icc) the screen was displaying some information (which also included the gammut graph) and it mentioned the brightness level as 135, which (as much as I learned) is good enough...

I set my Brightness to ZERO and Contrast to 50% and still get an excellent image.

When doing the calibration (Eye-One Display 2) I noticed at the end of the process, when saving my new setting (.icc) the screen was displaying some information (which also included the gammut graph) and it mentioned the brightness level as 135, which (as much as I learned) is good enough...

Yes I brought my brightness to zero and contrast to 40 and looks great.

Anyone found where to get the drivers for the 2611W?? I cant find them on the Planar website. I know they are not needed but still like to have the Planar display listed on the Nvidia control panel.

I's rather not sift through a billion posts on the 275T. What was the final consensus on this monitor versus the NEC or Planar?

IThe brightness setting just controls the luminance of the backlight.

One one LCD monitor and two LCD TVs I've checked that handled brightness in this fashion, setting the brightness to below 100% caused the units to emit an audible buzzing sound.

Just returned today back DELL 2407WFP-HC (service is great).

It is nice multimedia monitor. Great black color, no light bleeding.

BUT:
Color shift when I move my head just drive me crazy.
Bad banding in R, G and B gradients and even worse in a gray one (color banding).
Black is always crashed no mater that adjustment and calibration I did.

Calibration with eye one 2 and Spider didn't help.

Because I need something before I'll make choice just brought 2007FP (IPS panel) from my office.

Black is worse, some backlight bleeding but no banding - it is very smooth, no color shift and I can work with my pictures.

For me looks like there is no choice but IPS, probably 26" Planar.

There is no perfect monitor :(

Just returned today back DELL 2407WFP-HC (service is great).

It is nice multimedia monitor. Great black color, no light bleeding.

BUT:
Color shift when I move my head just drive me crazy.
Bad banding in R, G and B gradients and even worse in a gray one (color banding).
Black is always crashed no mater that adjustment and calibration I did.

Calibration with eye one 2 and Spider didn't help.

Because I need something before I'll make choice just brought 2007FP (IPS panel) from my office.

Black is worse, some backlight bleeding but no banding - it is very smooth, no color shift and I can work with my pictures.

For me looks like there is no choice but IPS, probably 26" Planar.

There is no perfect monitor :(

I had the Planar 2611 side by side with my Dell 2407HC and personally I think the Dell has a better picture. Images and text look a lot better on the Dell. I dont know why maybe it is because of the difference in pitch. I have tried adusting the Planar and just cant seem to get it better than the Dell. Anyway I have only had it since yesterday so still have time to make a decision.

I had the Planar 2611 side by side with my Dell 2407HC and personally I think the Dell has a better picture. Images and text look a lot better on the Dell. I dont know why maybe it is because of the difference in pitch. I have tried adusting the Planar and just cant seem to get it better than the Dell. Anyway I have only had it since yesterday so still have time to make a decision.

cocaine is a hell of a drug. hehe

yes yes!

I paid 94 dollars more over Buy.com.

buy gave free shipping and no tax, and 6 dollars less off of 999. 94 dollars is a heck of a lot of money.

however, buy.com doesnt even have a PHONE NUMBER as Toasty told me tonight. only after you correspond can you get one?

21 days risk free is awesome. im ticked I have to wait so long though. could be 2 weeks. sux.

Buy.com 800-800-0800. I ordered mine on a Tuesday last week and received 3 days later with the regular shipping ($26). Got it for 929.99 with that 7% promotion that I was able to save to my cart before it expired.:D

well, i still can cancel it from dell.

21 days makes me really not want to. if i get one that Toasty got, I can get another one no charge whatsoever.

hm.

Did you calibrate them both?

What about color shift, banding and crashed black?

There is a good program to test monitor:

http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm

There is nothing wrong with the monitor. From the factory it just doesnt have nice pictures or text like the 2407HC or the BenQ 241W. I calibrated with the Spyder 2 but still not right.
I have been playing with the calibration myself and got it pretty good right now. Im using the Nvidia control panel for this. Problem is if I try to turn up the sharpness too much it puts color into the text for some reason. The letters instead of being black have color in them. This is all probably personal preference on what I like as far as images. When I have the Planar side by side with the Dell or BenQ it doesnt do anything spectacular that makes it stand out between other monitors.

The problem is that unless you have a decent monitor to compare the Planar with you may not even know or realize what you are missing..........

There is nothing wrong with the monitor. From the factory it just doesnt have nice pictures or text like the 2407HC or the BenQ 241W. I calibrated with the Spyder 2 but still not right.
I have been playing with the calibration myself and got it pretty good right now. Im using the Nvidia control panel for this. Problem is if I try to turn up the sharpness too much it puts color into the text for some reason. The letters instead of being black have color in them. This is all probably personal preference on what I like as far as images. When I have the Planar side by side with the Dell or BenQ it doesnt do anything spectacular that makes it stand out between other monitors.

The problem is that unless you have a decent monitor to compare the Planar with you may not even know or realize what you are missing..........

Can you please tell something about color shift, banding and crashed black between these two?

That's another thing I should mention. The brightness on the Planar can only go down to around 180 cd/m². If you want it lower, you have to reduce the contrast, which doesn't look good because the contrast suffers. The NEC is the same way. It has a low brightness mode, but that just cuts the contrast in half. The Apple can go down to 80 cd/m² without affecting the contrast.

ToastyX, I enjoy when you check the screens and reading your findings. This one I didn't quite understand.

Can you explain this a bit and also where you are going with this?

The Eizo Coloredge CG221 have a "typical" 400:1 contrast and 200 cd/m2 brightness according to the specs.
The ACD 23" have a "typical" 700:1 contrast and 400 cd/m2 brightness according to the specs.
The Dell 2407WFP have a "typical" 1000:1 contrast and 500 cd/m2 brightness.

Black depth (brightness low) is calculated as: Brightness/Contrast= black depth.
CG221 would be 200/400= 0,5 cd/m2
ACD 23" would be 400/700= 0,57 cd/m2
Dell 2407WFP would be 500/1000= 0,5 cd/m2

This is before calibration and yes, I'm aware that reported specs doesn't always coexcist with real life.

Optimally, the numbers would be like this then @ brightness 80 cd/m2:

CG221: 80/400= 0,2 cd/m2
ACD 23": 80/700= 0,11 cd/m2
Dell 2407WFP: 80/1000= 0,08 cd/m2

If Apple were lying about their contrast number and lets say it only have 400:1 in contrast, you'd still get unrealistical numbers if its true what you say that contrast doesn't suffer if you lower brightness on the ACD:

ACD 23": 80/400= 0,2 cd/m2

What black depth did you get with your ACD in your tests?

For reference, here's Painmans numbers @ 120 cd/m2:

summary_22_cc0.jpg

Solaris, the Planar's contrast s.b. left at 50% or even 40%. and I leave my Sharpness at 70%. I'm aware of text with colors inside -- yes, only if you set the contrast and/or sharpness to higher levels than what I posted here.

You have to play with it a little, tweak it untill you find it to be right. THEN do the calibration.

Of course, each of us is using his LCD for different functions. I bought my Planar because COLOR ACCURACY and GRAYSCALE DETAILS were important. And after calibration, I'm very satisfied.

I have no issues with viewing angles, not one dead pixel, no banding or color shift.

Tamlin_WSGF, may I suggest that you're doing too many "calculations" which -- in reality -- mean very little...

For instance -- the Brightness specs of an LCD really means NOTHING, 500 or 400 is practically useless, since within the first 3 minutes of receiving your LCD -- YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF LOWERING THE BRIGHTNESS TO ZERO, OR CLOSE TO ZERO, ANYHOW...

I don't know what you need your LCD for, but comparing the Eizo Coloredge to a Dell 2407WFP -- is like comparing a brand new top-of-the-line Lexus to a used Chevy... Two different levels of quality and price... Over $5,000 v.s. $500....

Solaris, the Planar's contrast s.b. left at 50% or even 40%. and I leave my Sharpness at 70%. I'm aware of text with colors inside -- yes, only if you set the contrast and/or sharpness to higher levels than what I posted here.

You have to play with it a little, tweak it untill you find it to be right. THEN do the calibration.

Of course, each of us is using his LCD for different functions. I bought my Planar because COLOR ACCURACY and GRAYSCALE DETAILS were important. And after calibration, I'm very satisfied.

I have no issues with viewing angles, not one dead pixel, no banding or color shift.

Tamlin_WSGF, may I suggest that you're doing too many "calculations" which -- in reality -- mean very little...

For instance -- the Brightness specs of an LCD really means NOTHING, 500 or 400 is practically useless, since within the first 3 minutes of receiving your LCD -- YOU'LL FIND YOURSELF LOWERING THE BRIGHTNESS TO ZERO, OR CLOSE TO ZERO, ANYHOW...

I don't know what you need your LCD for, but comparing the Eizo Coloredge to a Dell 2407WFP -- is like comparing a brand new top-of-the-line Lexus to a used Chevy... Two different levels of quality and price... Over $5,000 v.s. $500....

Right now I have it set to where images look good to me but the text is still colored.
I have the monitor set at Brightness 37.2 Contrast 46 Sharpness 50
On the Nvidia Control Panel (7900GTX) I adjusted Brightness to 45
Contrast to 46 Sharpness 38 Gamma 13

I do not know how you are going up to 70 on the sharpness and not having really badly colored text?

I'm on the Mac, so no way to see what the video card is set to...

All I can say is,

my Gamma is at 2.2

Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 70.

Text (reverse, like on this borad) is now excellent.

But there is a way to set the Mac OSX System Prefs.>Appearance... The "Font smoothing style" is now set to "Medium-best for Flat Panel", though I don't believe that is what saves me from the issue you have, Solaris.

Tamlin_WSGF said:
If Apple were lying about their contrast number and lets say it only have 400:1 in contrast, you'd still get unrealistical numbers if its true what you say that contrast doesn't suffer if you lower brightness on the ACD:

ACD 23": 80/400= 0,2 cd/m2

What black depth did you get with your ACD in your tests?
How is that unrealistic?

I measured two 23" Apple Cinema Displays. One had a black luminance of 0.13 cd/m² at 81 cd/m², which is around 623:1. The other had a black luminance of 0.11 cd/m² at 80 cd/m², which is around 727:1.

The Planar had a black luminance of 0.35 cd/m² at 178 cd/m², which is around 509:1. The NEC had a black luminance of 0.25 cd/m² at 182 cd/m², which is around 728:1.

Both displays could not go any lower without reducing the contrast in some way, which only affects the white luminance. That means at 80 cd/m², the Planar would be around 229:1, and the NEC would be around 320:1. At 120 cd/m², the Planar would be around 343:1, and the NEC would be around 480:1. Calibration would reduce the contrast even more. Notice how Painman's contrast ratio is less than 480:1.

All measurements were taken in the middle of the screen without calibration to get the native performance of the display.

Hudder said:
None, I did not touch contrast. I lowered colour gains some.
Lowering the color gain settings also reduces the contrast some, and so does calibrating to a non-native white point, but that doesn't explain the large difference anyway.

Did you let the brightness stabilize for an hour before calibrating? It takes some time to reach the correct brightness.

amikoenig said:
Same question for you: did you wait an hour for the brightness to stabilize before calibrating?

It's possible mine was brighter than average, but considering the NEC is the same way, I seriously doubt it can get down to 135 cd/m² without reducing contrast in some way.

Contrast itself is not really important for color accuracy, but many monitors degrade the colors when the contrast setting is reduced. At least the Planar and the NEC don't, but a lower contrast makes dark scenes duller, especially in a dark room.

Guys, there shouldn't even BE a sharpness setting if you're using DVI like you should be. Is this sharpness setting something that you're adjusting in the NV control panel? Because, through DVI, the monitor's built-in sharpness setting is disabled since it is perfect.

If you have an issue with blurry text through DVI, then your issue is with ClearType or font smoothing.

When calibrated properly, the Planar should look just as impressive as the 2407, except without the black crush and color shifting issues. If pixel pitch is an issue, move the monitor back three inches...voilà!

Contrast is not really important for color accuracy, but a lower contrast makes dark scenes look duller, especially in a dark room.

Contrast is important for color accuracy in dark colors then.

Guys, there shouldn't even BE a sharpness setting if you're using DVI like you should be. Is this sharpness setting something that you're adjusting in the NV control panel? Because, through DVI, the monitor's built-in sharpness setting is disabled since it is perfect.

If you have an issue with blurry text through DVI, then your issue is with ClearType or font smoothing.

When calibrated properly, the Planar should look just as impressive as the 2407, except without the black crush and color shifting issues. If pixel pitch is an issue, move the monitor back three inches...voilà!

Contrast is important for color accuracy in dark colors then.

I have this monitor through DVI and the sharpness is adjustable on this monitor.
The factory settings are 100 Brightness 50 Contrast and 50 Sharpness.
The black text has color in it for some reason,

I dont know where I went wrong with my settings. I set them to your settings zero brightness, 50 contrast and 70 sharpness and everything now looks great. I put the video card control settings back to default. Seems like if you turn up the sharpness using the video card control box it will give you the bad text. Beautiful picture now!!!

I dont know where I went wrong with my settings. I set them to your settings zero brightness, 50 contrast and 70 sharpness and everything now looks great. I put the video card control settings back to default. Seems like if you turn up the sharpness using the video card control box it will give you the bad text. Beautiful picture now!!!

Heh, yeah.. the video card settings all look bad if you modify them too much.. I don't think they were designed for anything but small changes. Anything beyond 33% image sharpening on my CRT makes text and everything else look almost like it has reverse ghosting.

I think with an LCD its probably best to just do all the setting on the monitor. I have even decided to forgo a calibrator.. since I found enough tools to let me get it decent enough on the monitor settings by hand.. I used them on my CRT that had been calibrated and it looks a hell of a lot better than the calibration settings did.

I'm glad you solved that problem.. I was beginning to think you either got a bum monitor or maybe that the Planar sucked after all! :D

Back