Plain Jane 240mm AIO cooling loop?

sc5mu93

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have a Corsair H60 which has done me just fine for quite a while. My needs have changed and I need a better/bigger AIO for a 9900k. I get processor temp throttling because the H60 just can't deal.

When searching for an AIO, I see most require a 12v SATA connector to the pump. Is this standard now? Cable management already sucks, so dealing with another cable is annoying. (same with ones that require a USB header for the RGB control) Breakout boxes for pump/fan RGB is a non-starter for me.

Also, software control. I don't want to deal with it. Almost all I have looked at use a software control to manage the device. Can I not just use firmware control? Set the pump to FULL and fan based on temp?

Lastly, RGB. I don't want it. Sadly, all of these things are pimped out with RGB. I want one with an option to just turn the whole damn thing off.

So pretty much, I want 1) no RGB (or at least disable-able) and 2) motherboard header pump and fan control for a 240mm AIO loop. Does this unicorn exist and who makes it?

For an 8 core processor, a 240mm may not cut it, I had a 280mm and had to get rid of, CPU never went above 4.6GHz.
Unfortunately, because it's so expensive but I wanted it, I have a 360mm Loop and is able to achieve the 5.0GHz w/o temperatures running amok.

But! I've seen where lowering the Vcore can help get to the 5.0GHz and maintain a good temp with a 240mm AIO.

Corsair makes one that you can turn off the RGB on the CPU block and like you said, you'd have to do it through the software. I don't like RGB either but the 12 to 15-year-olds have prevailed and we're stuck with it.
I have iCUE and AURA installed and have managed to turn all that crap off. They do come on at the initial booting set up but turn off when in Windows.

I'd probably say get a 240mm water cooling Loop, they're expensive but will be better in the long run and keep the CPU cooler than an AIO.

Here are two water cooling Loops, a very inexpensive one and, the 2nd not too expensive but better than the 1st one: Reason, one is all aluminum 2nd one is all copper. Copper being the better of course.

https://www.newegg.com/p/37B-000B-001H0

https://www.newegg.com/p/37B-000B-001M9
https://www.newegg.com/p/37B-000B-001M9
My case only will fit a 240mm (microATX format). I am not overclocking the 9900k, which is lot of ways seems like a waste. In my younger days, I would, but these days, just too much going to verify and keep it stable. I appreciate the links, however, the microATX case won't allow/fit separate pump/reservoir.

Looks like I am just going to have to eat the RGB, Cable management, and software control. bleh.

Corsair H100X. Has a SATA cable, but no RGB. I got one for ~$65 AR. It's a CoolIT based cooler instead of an Asetek. I have it on my 3900X and it's doing a decent job (for what it is). Reviews aren't too bad. Most of them just don't like the fans, but have no problem with the cooler itself.

I have the Fractal S24 for the same reasons you mentioned. PWM pump and fans just plug into motherboard header(s), no software, no RGB. You can plug the fans into a header on the radiator which then controls them with the pump so you only have 1 cable going from the pump to the motherboard. It also has standard threaded fittings in case you want to open it for whatever reason.

I have the Fractal S24 for the same reasons you mentioned. PWM pump and fans just plug into motherboard header(s), no software, no RGB. You can plug the fans into a header on the radiator which then controls them with the pump so you only have 1 cable going from the pump to the motherboard. It also has standard threaded fittings in case you want to open it for whatever reason.
This thing sounds like a breath of fresh air with all the junk they have added to aio's these days. I also like that it has standard threads. I wonder how the pump could handle a gpu and another rad.

This thing sounds like a breath of fresh air with all the junk they have added to aio's these days. I also like that it has standard threads. I wonder how the pump could handle a gpu and another rad.
If you're looking for an expandable loop with a real DDC pump and copper components, check out Swiftech's H-series line. Real copper, real pump, real custom-loop performance.

Fractal says you can easily add a gpu block. Whether or not it is a good idea depends on your setup. I think it would be easier to just get a second AIO for your GPU (which is what I did).

Back