Pixel 8 / Pixel 8 Pro / Pixel 8a

So guys, the two of you that just got the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra's, what do you think of it so far?

Ok just got back from Best Buy, fondled some phones :)

-Pixel 8 / 8 Pro on display. There was some chatter online recently about the regular Pixel 8 not feeling like a true smooth 120hz display, and I noticed it myself, the Pixel 8 felt a bit weird, almost like a 60hz screen, I checked if Smooth Display was on, and yes it was, but something felt off, it seemed liked choppy animations or something. But the overall phone size was perfect very great shape and feel, and display was bright. Now the Pixel 8 Pro, yes that was smooth as silk, it was definitely 120hz and very fluid. The screen was crisp and bright. But between the two phones the 8 Pro just felt much faster and snappier, it was a noticeable difference.

-Galaxy S23 Ultra, dumb demo mode, still can't get a feel for the phone. The Samsung rep was there and she has a S22 Ultra as her personal phone, said I could play with hers, so I did :) Maybe the S22U is just on poor hardware, but I clearly saw hiccups, and it felt jittery like it was on 60hz display setting? It wasn't slow or laggy, no. but it had a weird feel to it, and I did not like it.

-iPhone 15 Pro Max, you know my dislike for iOS, but dang, that is a smooth phone, I love the FLAT display and how it goes edge to edge, and even the UI / screen goes to the very bottom of the phone, no chin, I like that. The screen is beautiful and opening and closing apps is so smooth and fluid, and I love how each app can have it's own individual settings, with like font size options per app, that's a very nice feature, and I'm surprised Android never adopted that. So I will eat crow, I have to say the iPhone 15 Pro Max is a very nice phone. But long term use, I just can't run iOS on a daily basis, so many strange things and numerous issues for me, so I'll pass. But man I am very tempted.

Last edited:
Here are a couple pics of my Pixel 7 Pro and S23 Ultra. This is the closest I could get the home screens to mirror each other (couldn't get the screen background centered on the S23). I prefer the look of the 7P. Same for the Always On Displays. I think the 7P's just looks nicer. As for performance, the S23 is a bit quicker, but not any smoother. Battery life on the S23 is better, but not massively so. I used the 7P more today, but the S23 is only 4% higher as of tonight. The biggest difference is screen quality. S23 takes the prize for video playback. I haven't done any camera testing. Both take crisp, sharp, colorful shots which is all that matters to me.

I wanted to add a bit on the FPS. I'm honestly quite surprised at how well my 7P's FPS performed next to that of the S23 which is generally accepted as being vastly superior. Just wasn't the case for me. The 7P's was easier to set up and a bit quicker/more responsive. I found it usually took 2-4 presses for the S23 vs. 1-2 for the 7P.

I'll be returning the S23 on Monday. Glad I tried it, but I strongly prefer the Pixel. Next week I'll be comparing my 7P to the 8 Pro and 15 Pro Max.

phones1.png

phones2.png

Last edited:
Thanks MM I like your reviews, and you and I are alike in regards to smartphones mostly, and yeah the S23 Ultra Ia great and all, but now the Pixel 8 Pro will be more of a match, with a great bright display, and LTPO 1hz to 120hz screen, the [H]ardware should at least be better and hopefully a bit more efficient than the Pixel 7 Pro, FLAT display, better haptics. Yeah I think the 8 Pro will be the better phone than the S23 Ultra. And news is the camera is actually a new sensor on the Pixel 8 Pro, it's the same one that the new Sony phone uses, so photos should be super good on the Pixel 8 Pro.

Thanks MM I like your reviews, and you and I are alike in regards to smartphones mostly, and yeah the S23 Ultra Ia great and all, but now the Pixel 8 Pro will be more of a match, with a great bright display, and LTPO 1hz to 120hz screen, the [H]ardware should at least be better and hopefully a bit more efficient than the Pixel 7 Pro, FLAT display, better haptics. Yeah I think the 8 Pro will be the better phone than the S23 Ultra. And news is the camera is actually a new sensor on the Pixel 8 Pro, it's the same one that the new Sony phone uses, so photos should be super good on the Pixel 8 Pro.

How's the 8 Pro screen compared to a regular 8?

How's the 8 Pro screen compared to a regular 8?

In a store hard to tell, both looked bright and crisp and nice. I only noticed the sort of 60hz feeling screen on the 8, that was not there at all on the 8 Pro.

So guys, the two of you that just got the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra's, what do you think of it so far?
The thermals are so much better, and boost in performance made all the synthetic benchmark numbers go up.
The camera isn't any better. In some cases I think it's worse, at least how I use it. Basically a glorified magnifying glass to read upc bar codes.

I don't have a case for the S23U yet, so it doesn't quite feel right holding it. Both fragile and strangely dense feeling like it could chip ice off a windshield if you held it at the right angle.

The battery life is about the same as my Pixel 6.
My 7 Pro would over heat if the battery was not charged enough and it would over heat if I used 5G. If I was on a multimedia laden website it would over heat and it would over heat if the wifi was weak.

But I am going to keep the S23U for at least the year because I am a masochist when it comes to tech and gadgets.

The 7 Pro does what I need to do but not what I want. The S23U does what I want but not how I need it to.

https://wccftech.com/google-tensor-g3-not-mass-produced-on-samsung-4nm-lpp-process/

https://wccftech.com/pixel-8-pro-tensor-g3-geekbench-6-and-3d-mark-wild-life-benchmarks/

As a long time Google phone fan I am utterly disappointed. I had the Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Pixel 3a XL, and currently have a Pixel 5a, Pixel 6a, and Pixel 7 Pro. The Pixel 6a and 7 Pro are unusable for me using wireless Android Auto, the phone runs too damn hot and throttles. Forget trying to charge it on a commute. Maybe it's because I have a bluetooth smartwatch paired too. Tensor not only lacks in performance (which I can daily a phone with a Snapdragon 765G no problem, I don't need crazy performance) but it just runs too hot under many circumstances. I think these two articles confirm Tensor G3 is going to have the same problems.

I bought a OnePlus 11 and have not had a single issue with thermals. I can even charge my phone while driving and the phone doesn't get too hot (34 - 36C max on the battery vs quick 42C+ on the 6a/7Pro). Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 phones seem to not have this widespread heating problem. Maybe there will be hope in the Pixel 9, which Tensor G4 will still be based on Exynos but move to the "better" LPP+ Samsung 4nm node, but realistically I think I'll have to wait until the Pixel 10 when Google switches away from Samsung for design/fabrication and moves to an in-house SOC design manufactured by TSMC.

If you had a Pixel 6 series or Pixel 7 series and didn't have issues the 8 will probably work well for you. If you used your phone frequently in scenarios where it was overheating, you must be a masochist if you order the Pixel 8 / 8 Pro. But of course AI AI AI AI AI AI will make the phone sooooooooo good.
Pretty much how I feel about current Pixels. I'm reserving judgement until reviews are out as always, but I don't expect any improvement in power efficiency or thermals, which is the only area I care about and Pixels need the most improvement.

Think I'll leave it up to upcoming sales though. Between the base S23, Zenfone 10, and Pixel 8, whichever goes lowest or below $600 around BF, I'll prolly jump on that. I think I would prefer the Zenfone over anything else at the moment though. Preferably a 256GB/16GB RAM model.

I still feel like no matter what they say, it would disappoint me if I actually bought one. I think I'm going to hold out for the 9.

Here's another thing that I'm going to miss about the Pixel experience. The night operation mode, and just the screen to begin with. The 6 and 7 Pro always looked more vivid. The color profile was exaggerated, certainly compared to this new S23U. I have hue bulbs in my bedside lamp. Initially it was so I could do the smart home thing and turn off the lights from the driveway or whatever. Eventually I learned that the bulb could go almost entirely red like I was pulling the night shift on a battle ship. With the 6 and 7 Pro in night mode I could effectively read in the dark.
I can't do anything of the sort out of the box with this S23U. This thing is either bright and washed out or dim and washed out. Probably great if you are out and about during the day.

Hopefully the 8 series still has that capability with its new screens.

I wonder why during Google's presentation they didn't mention anything at all about Tensor G3 performance and instead focused on the AI / ML capabilities. Screencap from this video

1696863548990.png

For comparison, here is 15 minutes of max brightness on my OnePlus 11 (no optimizations done, like has LTE signal, paired to my OnePlus Watch via bluetooth, etc...) But I would assume most Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 phones would perform the same. App is CPU Throttling Test. I didn't measure temps or anything but phone was ever so slightly warm, but not hot at all.

1696865254455.png

Ok just got back from Best Buy, fondled some phones :)

-Pixel 8 / 8 Pro on display. There was some chatter online recently about the regular Pixel 8 not feeling like a true smooth 120hz display, and I noticed it myself, the Pixel 8 felt a bit weird, almost like a 60hz screen, I checked if Smooth Display was on, and yes it was, but something felt off, it seemed liked choppy animations or something. But the overall phone size was perfect very great shape and feel, and display was bright. Now the Pixel 8 Pro, yes that was smooth as silk, it was definitely 120hz and very fluid. The screen was crisp and bright. But between the two phones the 8 Pro just felt much faster and snappier, it was a noticeable difference.

-Galaxy S23 Ultra, dumb demo mode, still can't get a feel for the phone. The Samsung rep was there and she has a S22 Ultra as her personal phone, said I could play with hers, so I did :) Maybe the S22U is just on poor hardware, but I clearly saw hiccups, and it felt jittery like it was on 60hz display setting? It wasn't slow or laggy, no. but it had a weird feel to it, and I did not like it.

-iPhone 15 Pro Max, you know my dislike for iOS, but dang, that is a smooth phone, I love the FLAT display and how it goes edge to edge, and even the UI / screen goes to the very bottom of the phone, no chin, I like that. The screen is beautiful and opening and closing apps is so smooth and fluid, and I love how each app can have it's own individual settings, with like font size options per app, that's a very nice feature, and I'm surprised Android never adopted that. So I will eat crow, I have to say the iPhone 15 Pro Max is a very nice phone. But long term use, I just can't run iOS on a daily basis, so many strange things and numerous issues for me, so I'll pass. But man I am very tempted.
My S23 Ultra lags/jitters occasionally as well. It seems to do it more lately where it stops responding for a few seconds then goes. Driving me nuts actually.

Ordered 8 Pro from BB. $400 trade credit for my damaged display 7 Pro is probably best I can ever hope for. Broke it in the field at work. Got a replacement display, and it started failing within an hour. Has an ever growing circle of dead pixels. Store said no warranties...

Hopefully sell the watch for a decent price too, but market will probably be flooded.

Ordered 8 Pro from BB. $400 trade credit for my damaged display 7 Pro is probably best I can ever hope for. Broke it in the field at work. Got a replacement display, and it started failing within an hour. Has an ever growing circle of dead pixels. Store said no warranties...

Hopefully sell the watch for a decent price too, but market will probably be flooded.
I'll list my Pixel 2 watch on Swappa, eBay, and [H] for $250 or best offer. If I can clear $200 after shipping/fees I'll be satisfied.

I'll list my Pixel 2 watch on Swappa, eBay, and [H] for $250 or best offer. If I can clear $200 after shipping/fees I'll be satisfied.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking my bottom dollar would be. Below that, will consider changing out from my Galaxy 4. Not sure what else a watch can do tho. Lasts all day, tracks steps and gets notifications.

I got a S23 earlier this year. I’ve enjoyed it, but started to find myself using all google apps regardless and have been wanting a bigger screen.

I tried a 15 Pro Max, but right out of the box my unit had a deep scratch near the charging port. Terrible QC. I took it back.

I have a Pixel 8 Pro on pickup with the watch at BestBuy. Loved that they went with flat sides this time and for heard the TG3 is a good improvement, so I’m going to give it a whirl.

I’m an ex Apple user and my biggest hurdle by far has been iMessage / FaceTime. Being a green bubble sucks.

My shipment hasn't moved from the carrier, it's there this morning in a nearby town, but no changes to delivery or movement yet.

I guess they hold onto it, probably won't see it today, maybe tomorrow?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231010-140844~2.png
    Screenshot_20231010-140844~2.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My shipment hasn't moved from the carrier, it's there this morning in a nearby town, but no changes to delivery or movement yet.

Dude fedex is the worst. They are always late for me and even mark a package as delivered when it was never delivered just so it does not look late.

Now, it looks like the earliest I'll get mine is Thursday instead of tomorrow.

I gave my Pixel Watch 2 to my daughter, but I was in a rush to get back to the office, I helped turn it on and connect to her Pixel 6 phone, she needed to install the Google Watch app and the FitBit app, ok we did that, she logged into her account on both, and it's connected to her phone via Bluetooth, but then I needed to head out.

I text her from work, and asked if her phone alerted her of the Message? She said no, none of that stuff seems to be working. It is the LTE Watch.

Does anyone have a link to a detailed guide on how to get the Pixel Watch running as a smart watch to get messages and e-mails and calls, etc...?

My phone and case are sitting in the box still LOL, just no time to open and unbox them yet, very busy workday, and then have a birthday party for my nephew tonight. Hopefully later tonight I can do that.

Here I am with a 7 Pro I've had for like 6 months and I'm already plotting how I might be able to trade or sell it and get an 8 Pro. Figures.
That's what I did. Google will give $420 trade-in for the 7 Pro, but I bought from Best Buy 'cuz they upped the trade-in to $550. I've got no brats, uhh... kids, no, I really meant brats to give my free Pixel 2 watch, so I'll sell it.

Aww Hell, let's be honest... even if I had brats I wouldn't give them the watch 'cuz I'm a mean, nasty, selfish bastard! :ROFLMAO:

Ok let's unbox;

Attachments

• PXL_20231011_225212015.jpg
    PXL_20231011_225212015.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231011_225223440.jpg
    PXL_20231011_225223440.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231011_225331541.jpg
    PXL_20231011_225331541.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231011_225544023.jpg