Pixel 5A

Recent news stated the Pixel 6 line to be officially unveiled on Oct. 28th, which makes sense as the Nexus / Pixel line always comes out end of Oct / early Nov.

5a homescreen vs. 12 Pro Max homescreen;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-090547.png
    Screenshot_20210901-090547.png
    832.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3797.PNG
    IMG-3797.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Can iOs still not do folders? That home screen would drive me batty.

Can iOs still not do folders? That home screen would drive me batty.

It can. But all the icons are aligned to the top of the screen. You can't have a row at the top and a row at the bottom with blank space in between.

We can expect the 6 to be faster and smoother performing than the 5a, but by how much is unclear, as Google is planning on using an in house chip design this time around, and no one has leaked performance on the thing, except to say that it probably wont be as fast as Qualcomms top end Snapdragon 888 or the Exynos 2100.

The 6 does not look like it has a fingerprint sensor. That may not be a big deal for some, but since I have no interest in face unlock, it's kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Aesthetics are certainly subjective, but I have to say, I find the 6 to be rather ugly with it's mask-like camera-bulge. Reminds me of a flat "Among Us" character. Orange-Coral is Sus.

You'd like the huge increase in price with the 6 to make it a clear winner in every regard, but that just isn't the case to me for my use case. which is why I jumped on the 5a as soon as it launched.

I’m not a fan of the Pixel 6 design at all . I like the minimalist clean simple design of the Pixel 4 XL / Pixel 5

We can expect the 6 to be faster and smoother performing than the 5a, but by how much is unclear, as Google is planning on using an in house chip design this time around, and no one has leaked performance on the thing, except to say that it probably wont be as fast as Qualcomms top end Snapdragon 888 or the Exynos 2100.

The 6 does not look like it has a fingerprint sensor. That may not be a big deal for some, but since I have no interest in face unlock, it's kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Aesthetics are certainly subjective, but I have to say, I find the 6 to be rather ugly with it's mask-like camera-bulge. Reminds me of a flat "Among Us" character. Orange-Coral is Sus.

You'd like the huge increase in price with the 6 to make it a clear winner in every regard, but that just isn't the case to me for my use case. which is why I jumped on the 5a as soon as it launched.

I think it's an inscreen fingerprint sensor. Personally, I see no reason to deviate from the tried and true rear sensor that has worked perfectly for me since Nexus times.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/goog...l-fingerprint-scanner-and-im-going-to-miss-it

I like the idea of an on screen scanner as long as it works as well as the rear scanner.

Hmm.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The rear scanner works for me. I can pick up the phone with one hand and my index finger just cleanly lands on the sensor, no need to use the other hand.

If I have to touch the screen, I may need both hands, unless you use the screen fingerprint sensor with the phone sitting on a surface.

I'm leaning towards the rear scanner being better for me, but I won't really know until I try the other and have some time with it, if it would be a problem or not.

Rear finger print scanner is tried and true and practically bulletproof near perfect. "It just works". LOL

but sadly its going the way of the headphone jack..... But I hope Google keeps it going on the A series. Please google keep the A just the way it is and filter down tech only after its tried a true. I really want to see a 6A. But I suspect we may not get a 6A....

My current phone is the Pixel 4XL.
My wishes are there there will be a flat screen Pixel 7 flagship for me to purchase.

Regular 6 will be flat
Yes that is true. My preference though is to wait for the next Pixel flagship to be released, and have it be with a flat screen. Hopefully the Pixel 7 will have a flagship and hopefully it will have a flat screen. Both are alot to hope for.

Last edited:
Really liking the size and shape of this Pixel 5A, just feels so good in hand and much easier to use than the gigantic 12 Pro Max.

Also the rounded sides and rounded shape make it very comfortable in the hand, feels so good to hold. The 12 Pro Max with the squared edges is uncomfortable and feels pointy to hold.

I know also a case on both and it's different but still prefer the rounded feel of the 5a.

Plus the tall candy bar size again is just easier to use.

I'd be happy if Google made this exact devise their flagship. Give it 12GB RAM, a 5,000mAh battery, 120hz screen, wireless charging, and the custom processor.

One pleasant surprise is the screen quality on this 5a, it's much better than I would've expected, bright outdoors with deep blacks and vibrant colors. This display actually seems pretty high quality.

Flat as opposed to what?

Are there curved screen phones I have missed or something?

Many phones have a slight bevel around the edge of the screen's glass, so it's not completely flat.

It's why many screen protectors are noticeably smaller than would seem to be correct (but is), otherwise the edges of the protector would constantly separate from the display.

I just installed Android 12 beta 5 on it, and it's great, and looks so fresh, but for some reason my 4 XL running the same beta just feels smoother and more fluid than the 5a, like zero micorstutter on the 4 XL, but there's a slight tiny bit on the 5a.

The Pixel 4 XL is still a beast of a smartphone, minus the crappy battery life, other than that, the 4 XL running Android 12 beta 5 is AMAZING, and yes it takes great Portrait shots still. Plus the design of the 4 XL with the white smooth back is classic. For the 4 XL being two years old, you'd never guess that, with the new Android 12 on it, it just feels like a fresh current phone release.

Last edited:
That's my guess...

Side note- it makes me happy to see a great phone; it's been a while (imho/ymmv).

The battery life on this thing is just light years better than my old phone.

How big of an upgrade is the 6 going to be over the 5a?
My 3 XL fell and has been flashing a white screen nonstop since. I put the case back on it(LOL_ME) and it was fine, then it got bad again, so I took the case off and it's been fine again. In the interim I begrudgingly ordered a 5a.

Think the 6 non-pro is worth the extra assumed $250? I don't care about the chunk on the back as this phone will definitely be in a case, though I really love that tiny little holepunch for the camera on the 5a,5, and 4a.
Which one will have better battery life?

I'm getting the regular Pixel 6 for sure. The much better custom made processor and 12GB RAM and UFS 3.1 storage will make the phone super fluid smooth. Plus the size of the regular Pixel 6 is perfect to me, it's literally about the exact same size as the 4 XL identical width and height.

I like my 5a but it is slightly just a little bit laggy once in awhile, whereas my 4 XL is always smooth never lags.

The Pixel 6 Pro is just too big too much for me, I don't need all that.

I like my 5a but it is slightly just a little bit laggy once in awhile, whereas my 4 XL is always smooth never lags.
I thought my 5A was kind of laggy now and then at first but it took a bit of new muscle memory on how and where exactly to interact with the screen properly. Got over that curve and it has been perfect.

I'm curious. How many of you actually use the new Android gestures, vs. immediately go in and switch back to the traditional three button controls?

Back