Pixel 4

I will say without root, and just stock on the latest monthly update, my Pixel 4 XL, feels smooth and very fluid. No hiccups, zero stutter lag. And I like it's a minimal OS, no bloatware, and simple design. "It just works". For Android phones, to me Pixel and OnePlus are the only ones to get.

On the other hand, it's 2020 and Android still doesn't have a backup and restore option even close to as good as the iPhones without root. Luckily it's not as necessary as it used to be but given that Google puts in new and exciting bugs with each monthly update, I just wonder why I'd bother with a Pixel nowadays.

I was definitely quite happy with my iPhone 11. If Apple did the reverse-Google (e.g., allowing 3rd party web browser engines and setting any default app you wanted), I'd even say Android loses most of its value to me.

There's talk of Apple possibly allowing changes to default apps, maybe as soon as iOS 14. There are certainly reasons people might consider Android (more variety in hardware, sideloading apps, more flexibility for those apps), but there aren't as many as there used to be. It also feels like the ideological roles are reversing somewhat. Not that Apple is a flawless beacon of light, or that Google is evil incarnate, but the old myth of Apple as the oppressor and Google as the freedom fighter is falling apart.

(On that note: remember I/O 2010, when Google characterized Apple as an Orwellian tyrant for... wanting to run an integrated phone platform? It's downright quaint, and more than a little ironic.)

With Android I feel like I can't win. It's like I'm always settling and there is no ideal solution. Freedom to customize is fine and dandy as a user, but they've let their OEM's run amok and make their own lesser walled gardens. Whenever I have to buy another device (hopefully not for at least 12-18 months), I'm seriously going to look at Apple again. At least unless Google makes some philosophical changes to Android and/or Pixel hardware.

I'm no iPhone fan at all, mostly iOS not being my cup of tea, but I greatly respect the hardware and design that Apple creates. The processors and internals on new iPhone's are always best of the best. And build quality always super high. The rumors of the iPhone 12 pro do look amazing, 120hz refresh rate. Amazing display tech. And finally a phone manufacturer going back to a flat screen, and squared off edges. The iPhone 12 Pro is like a mix of the old classic iPhone 4 /5 design, mixed with the current 11 Pro style. Smaller notch, smaller bezels, squared off sides, and truly a flat screen not curved.

But what will iOS 14 have? I want the Phone app redone, as do most people. And allow the user to set their own default apps. Also a little bit of theming would be nice for once, if you don't care or want that, then don't use it, but would be a fun option for those that do.

I'm a hardcore stock Android nerd, but seems Apple is slowly getting there with iOS, maybe by iOS 16 or so, it will finally be able to scratch my smartphone itch as well as a Nexus / Pixel does?

I am eagerly waiting the iOS 14 beta previews, see what they've done to the OS, and the iPhone 12 Pro release has me intrigued, that hardware and design does look top notch.

I'm no iPhone fan at all, mostly iOS not being my cup of tea, but I greatly respect the hardware and design that Apple creates. The processors and internals on new iPhone's are always best of the best. And build quality always super high. The rumors of the iPhone 12 pro do look amazing, 120hz refresh rate. Amazing display tech. And finally a phone manufacturer going back to a flat screen, and squared off edges. The iPhone 12 Pro is like a mix of the old classic iPhone 4 /5 design, mixed with the current 11 Pro style. Smaller notch, smaller bezels, squared off sides, and truly a flat screen not curved.

But what will iOS 14 have? I want the Phone app redone, as do most people. And allow the user to set their own default apps. Also a little bit of theming would be nice for once, if you don't care or want that, then don't use it, but would be a fun option for those that do.

I'm a hardcore stock Android nerd, but seems Apple is slowly getting there with iOS, maybe by iOS 16 or so, it will finally be able to scratch my smartphone itch as well as a Nexus / Pixel does?

I am eagerly waiting the iOS 14 beta previews, see what they've done to the OS, and the iPhone 12 Pro release has me intrigued, that hardware and design does look top notch.

There's talk of home screen widgets (but Apple style, not just copying Android) among other things. I don't think you'll get any theming beyond dark/light -- if it hasn't been a thing in macOS for decades, it's not likely to change on iOS. I'm also not sure that "most people" want the phone app reworked. They might not mind it, but conventional voice calls are usually the last thing you do on a phone these days.

Screen attention

Settings - Display - Screen Attention - enabled

Does this feature even truly work? I have it enabled and I'll be reading a story on a web page and not touch my phone or anything and the screen still fades out and turns off after one minute.

I thought the whole point of this option was the phone will know that you're looking at the screen, and no need to have to slightly tap or move the screen up and down to keep the display from turning off?

It's never seem to work for me I'm a Pixel 4 XL

Hey Zorachus,
Screen attention has been working fine on my Pixel 4XL at all timeouts: 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or more.

Try this and see how it works out for you.

For test purposes and to save time, set your time out for 15 seconds. While sitting in a chair or standing up, look straight ahead and hold your phone in a position where the top edge of your phone is aligned with your eyebrows, and the bottom edge of the phone is pointing straight down perpendicular to the top of the phone. See if Screen Attention is working in that position, hopefully it will be. Next step is to keep holding the phone at the same height, but this time tilt the top edge of the phone slightly backwards and see if Screen Attention is maintained. If it is then tilt it backwards a little bit more until you find that critical point at which Screen Attention will stop working.

Once you get the feel of how much you can tilt the phone, hold the phone like you usually do at waist or mid-chest heights. Just keep in mind that you have to be looking directly at the phone and can only tilt it so much away from you.

A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpgE.jpg

Last edited:
Because the Pixel 3a it seems.

I don't mind if the Pixel 5 ends up not top-ranged if Google doesn't price it as such. Make it a happy medium between what the Nexus was and what the Pixel was.

Today's the day. Leaks are claiming that there could be more announced than just the 4A. Hopefully Google doesn't drop the ball. I probably won't be looking for a new phone for a long time, but my wife needs a new one pretty soon.

That seems like a pretty fantastic device for most people. Especially at that price.

For $350, that's a pretty slick price for a nice phone, runnign stock Android.

But did someone say the Pixel 5 was announced too? I didn't see that.

There was this image that leaked (or was fabricated) showing the 4a and another larger device next to "5G," but it doesn't sound like anything was announced. A couple articles claim that Google confirmed something related to that image today, but details are non-existent.
Eea_jvJU0Ag_fa-?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

The “announcement” for Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G is merely saying that 5G devices are coming. No real detail other than that 5G will add $150 to the Pixel 4a.

at $349 without 5G, I’d rather get a iPhone SE.

I have the Pixel 3 myself and the girlfriend has a 3a XL. Considering the specs of the 4a, I would definitely recommend it. This might be the next phone upgrade for some of my family members. I really like that Google uses a quality camera for the 'a' devices.

I'm gonna hold onto my Pixel 2 until the Pixel 5. I'm mostly interested in whatever next gen camera technology comes with it, and because I think it'll last me a few years like this Pixel 2 has, I'll likely have WiFi 6 and 5G available well before I upgrade again.

This part of MKBHD's review has me waiting for something more powerful.

Just how bad is the 730G chipset?

I was also a little worried about his views on its possible lack of durability. Its been quite a few years where I've even considered that I could bend/break my phone. I don't want to get back into that again.

I was under the impression that the s730 had single thread performance equal to a Pixel 3 (whereas the 3a is essentially a Pixel 2.)
Mind you I remember reading all the threads that blasted the 3a for its performance and it's been fine.
If I'm being honest, if the 3a had the 6GB of RAM I wanted all along, I doubt many current users would be pining for a 4a as much as they are now.
The huge jump is screen brightness was an unexpected and positive surprise too - see Android Authority's review.
https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-4a-review-1140618/

As for durability - let's see what happens in the JerryRig video - I'm guessing that'll be around August 20 (since he will need a retail unit).

I have a Pixel 2 and my partner has a 3a, and side by side, the 3a is faster on some things, mostly loading of apps (probably due to the increased RAM). I haven't ran actual phone benchmarks myself and the most taxing program we share together is Pokemon Go, but it definitely loads faster and smoother on the 3a.

Honestly the Pixel 2, aside from the RAM, is still pretty adequate for what I normally use my phone for. My wanting to upgrade is a hardware one, as the USB-C connector is getting super, super finicky and I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to fix it. Getting someone else to do it is more expensive than what the phone is worth.

My Pixel 2 was great with the exception of the battery. I eventually had to dump it because the battery life fell off a cliff. Hosepower-wise it's still fine even right now. Although I will say, once you get used to 90 or 120Hz, it's tough to go back to 60. Even if something isn't slow, it simply feels slow by comparison.

Hey I said that about my Catleap 2B (at once point had it at 126Hz).
I've since retired it because aside from refresh rate, it was a terrible screen on a terrible stand. I have a larger 32" Samsung office monitor instead now - lmao.

TheSlySyl - as a pet project, I replaced the charging port (microUSB) on my Nexus 5. Sadly, I broke the SIM area while opening the phone.
But the transplant of new charging port for old, unscrewing and carefully opening then closing the phone wasn't bad.
It's not for everyone though - need some good dexterity in your hands/finger not to be clumsy. Not sure how easy the Pixel 2 is in comparison.

Also got the iFixit bag of tools/screwdrivers - so if you don't have that already, you'll need something like that to work on phones/electronics of that size.

But the transplant of new charging port for old, unscrewing and carefully opening then closing the phone wasn't bad.
It's not for everyone though - need some good dexterity in your hands/finger not to be clumsy. Not sure how easy the Pixel 2 is in comparison.
Once I saw that it was gonna require a heatgun and suction cup to pull off the screen, I understood that I'd likely never get it back together perfectly. It's too big and risky of a gamble for a phone that is currently central to my daily life and job. When it becomes a backup phone I'll attempt a repair of that magnitude, but I can't afford to fuck up my phone for a few days.

If it was just screws I wouldn't be worried.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+2+Charging+Assembly+Replacement/103332

Does anyone with Verizon experience not so good LTE signal in buildings? I typically have horrid speed of around 3 down or less. I popped my sim card in with the OnePlus 8 I have and I'm getting 25+ down. Initially thought it was the signal from the nearby tower, but now I'm thinking it's the Pixel 4 XL.

Does anyone with Verizon experience not so good LTE signal in buildings? I typically have horrid speed of around 3 down or less. I popped my sim card in with the OnePlus 8 I have and I'm getting 25+ down. Initially thought it was the signal from the nearby tower, but now I'm thinking it's the Pixel 4 XL.
LTE Discovery is a free app that will assess signal strengths and point out the tower feeding your phone. It also has the option to reset search for optimal signal. Perhaps you would like to check it out.

Once I saw that it was gonna require a heatgun and suction cup to pull off the screen, I understood that I'd likely never get it back together perfectly. It's too big and risky of a gamble for a phone that is currently central to my daily life and job. When it becomes a backup phone I'll attempt a repair of that magnitude, but I can't afford to fuck up my phone for a few days.

If it was just screws I wouldn't be worried.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+2+Charging+Assembly+Replacement/103332

It's definitely not that easy if you've never done it. My screen cracked when I was trying to do the heatgun/suction cup technique. Once you are inside it's not that bad. Somewhat harder than a small laptop to work in, but doable.

Back