Pirated 4K Release Suggests iTunes DRM May be Breached

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In the world of pirated content, the titles of downloadable videos usually give some indication as to how they were encoded. "h264," for example usually means a video is encoded with the AVC codec, while "CAM, DVDRip, WEBRip, and Web-DL" specify the source of the video (namely, camera footage in a theater, a DVD rip, a stream capture, or a direct download). Yesterday, TorrentFreak claims they found a video titled "Aquaman.2018.2160p.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.HDR.HEVC-MOMA" shortly after Aquaman went on sale on iTunes. Given the timing and the title, as well as additional info from their "source," they believe that MOMA managed to circumvent the DRM used in Apple's 4K iTunes streams. 4K Web-DL releases for "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" and "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" from the "Deflate" group have appeared as well, but it's unclear if, or how, these groups bypassed Apple's protection mechanisms.

TorrentFreak reached out to Apple for a comment and more background information but at the time of publication, we have yet to hear back. While this would be the first ever 4K WEB-DL from iTunes, it’s too soon to jump to conclusions. Some have suggested that the release could somehow be mislabeled. We can't rule anything out but since the 4K digital version is not widely available, there are few other possible sources. In addition, the release has been posted by reputable sources who are certainly not known for making stuff up... "Apple has 4k only on Apple TV running tvOS. I assume they skipped checks, if the device is jailbroken, and someone just dumped the encrypted stream and decrypted it via what's in memory as keys," says our source, who prefers to remain anonymous.

Apple DRM is a joke, there are TONS of free tools to rip it out. This is not shocking. Google "apple requiem" or dvdfab.

It's great to get rid of DRM on your own purchased content. You bought it, you own it.

These are the 1st 4k release from itune. I'd say the DRM kept things safe for a good while.
If there was ton of free tools to do it, where were those 4k itune release for all this time ?

Apple DRM is a joke, there are TONS of free tools to rip it out. This is not shocking. Google "apple requiem" or dvdfab.

It's great to get rid of DRM on your own purchased content. You bought it, you own it.

Those tools are for old 1080p content, 4k itunes video don't even play on osx or windows, just iphones, ipads and the appletv 4k. So something more sophisticated is happening.

DRM is easy to breach when you have dedicated groups that have been at it since the freaking 80's

Still it has taken a couple years no? Still isn't confirmed that is actually what happened yet.

this stuff has been breached for a while 4k content is just the next level

May? LOL.

ITMS and Amazon provide tons of "web-dl" fodder and have for some time.

At this point it's just bragging rights. There isn't much point to these since UHD's can be copied to PC with makemkv.

iTunes WEB-DL rips tend to hit the torrents well before a good BD rip from what I've seen.

So there's a "FIRST!" of sorts brag going on.

This is appletv, and there aren't TONS of free tools to rip it. There's 0 publicly available.

whGi2hj.gif
I'm with Phoebe

In the world of pirated content, the titles of downloadable videos usually give some indication as to how they were encoded. "h264," for example usually means a video is encoded with the AVC codec, while "CAM, DVDRip, WEBRip, and Web-DL" specify the source of the video (namely, camera footage in a theater, a DVD rip, a stream capture, or a direct download). Yesterday, TorrentFreak claims they found a video titled "Aquaman.2018.2160p.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.HDR.HEVC-MOMA" shortly after Aquaman went on sale on iTunes. Given the timing and the title, as well as additional info from their "source," they believe that MOMA managed to circumvent the DRM used in Apple's 4K iTunes streams. 4K Web-DL releases for "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" and "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" from the "Deflate" group have appeared as well, but it's unclear if, or how, these groups bypassed Apple's protection mechanisms.

TorrentFreak reached out to Apple for a comment and more background information but at the time of publication, we have yet to hear back. While this would be the first ever 4K WEB-DL from iTunes, it’s too soon to jump to conclusions. Some have suggested that the release could somehow be mislabeled. We can't rule anything out but since the 4K digital version is not widely available, there are few other possible sources. In addition, the release has been posted by reputable sources who are certainly not known for making stuff up... "Apple has 4k only on Apple TV running tvOS. I assume they skipped checks, if the device is jailbroken, and someone just dumped the encrypted stream and decrypted it via what's in memory as keys," says our source, who prefers to remain anonymous.

Not too surprised considering how many WebDL there are for HD movies and such. Though they are generally pretty low quality comparing to BD. Why anyone would want this adulterated UDH copy is odd to say the least (such is the case with all the streams I've seen, maybe except YouTube demos but real content is pretty bad).

Not too surprised considering how many WebDL there are for HD movies and such. Though they are generally pretty low quality comparing to BD. Why anyone would want this adulterated UDH copy is odd to say the least (such is the case with all the streams I've seen, maybe except YouTube demos but real content is pretty bad).
What? Youtube 4K is completely useless overcompressed garbage.

There have been 4K releases of movies and tv series for ages, and it is far superior quality to youtube.

It still looks better than a compressed 1080P file. Not everyone wants to d/l 50+ GB files.

It is probably because it is available 2 weeks before the UHD BD.

True. But if you have enough patience to wait for a movie to come out of the theater, you can wait 2 more weeks for it to hit BluRay.

All your DRM are belong to us:
Resistance is futile, we will assimilate your DRM
DRM will adapt to service us.

I wish I still had my matrix pre-production rip. No music track so it was so funny when actors were screaming at eachother in a quiet room

What? Youtube 4K is completely useless overcompressed garbage.

There have been 4K releases of movies and tv series for ages, and it is far superior quality to youtube.

Read my post again, I said only demos which in some cases seem to have unlimited or very high bitrate.

Back