Physicists Testing To See If Universe Is A Computer Simulation

HardOCP News

[H] News
Physicists are testing to see if we are in the Matrix? Really? I hope grant money isn't funding all of this research. Thanks to -PK- for the link.

University of Oxford philosophy professor Nick Bostrom published a paper, "The Simulation Argument," which argued that, "we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation." Now, a team at Cornell University says it has come up with a viable method for testing whether we're all just a series of numbers in some ancient civilization's computer game. Researchers at the University of Washington agree with the testing method, saying it can be done. A similar proposal was put forth by German physicists in November.

How would they know exactly? I mean they are basing their criteria on a bunch of stuff they assume based on their view of the universe... You could confirm it...but not really disprove it.

When quantum theory science and agnostic philosophy meet and have kids....

They do realize that IF they screw up and come to the conclusion that reality is a simulation, that a bunch of idiots will go around raping/pillaging/murdering right?

Thanks, Morpheus, but I think I'll take the blue pill.

Yeah so if some guy dressed in leather offers you blue pills, you probably should say no. Otherwise you're going to be up for way more than 4 hours.

Yeah so if some guy dressed in leather offers you blue pills, you probably should say no. Otherwise you're going to be up for way more than 4 hours.

He'd better watch out. If he gets within 16" of me I might poke him and get myself arrested.

They do realize that IF they screw up and come to the conclusion that reality is a simulation, that a bunch of idiots will go around raping/pillaging/murdering right?

I'd suggest we get caveman the red one.

This has been a question in theoretical physics for a very long time... No one yet has really been able to setup an experiment to prove this either way. And even if something of is found, then you'd have to figure a (new?) Model to base further research from to figure out what you found exactly. But attempts will continue as research, for prestige, funding...etc...

Not sure why this is news?

Um, weird as it sounds, there are some VERY weird valid issues to address. For some damn reason, since I think back to 1940? They have been finding binary code in string theory. Aka, the universe does appear to be built on binary code. Since we can't actually prove our existence otherwise, why not try this angle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LCVknKUJ4

Hah.... that's easily solvable with a reboot!

I mean, haven't you seen Reboot? All that trouble with viruses and his computer being totally destroyed was easily solved with a reboot.

How would they know exactly? I mean they are basing their criteria on a bunch of stuff they assume based on their view of the universe... You could confirm it...but not really disprove it.

The assumption is that anybody doing a simulation of this magnitude would only do it of a very similar universe to their own, but the fact that it is a simulation rather than full reality means that there will be indicators of it being a simulation that would not be present in such a real universe. Of course, that's assuming that the simulators wouldn't blur such distinctions to fool us, assuming they consider us worthy enough to remain ignorant, or that there is an intention also to simulate the impact of intelligent life, in which case likely they would also simulate it not being a simulation, lol.

What if you were to take both pills?
Or, cut each one in half and take half of each?

When quantum theory science and agnostic philosophy meet and have kids....

That's deep jordash

I'll never understand why the fact that cosmic dust came together and formed earth, and then elements came together and by pure 1:100000gabillion chance formed a living cell, which cell then spread and evolved into millions of different configurations, and out of those came sentient beings that could learn and build things like pyramids and airplanes and twinkies....

I just don't understand why that's not magical enough but instead we must invent stories about been created by aliens or super computers or some such idiocy.

Do you people even understand what an extraordinary rarity we are?

That's deep jordash

I'll never understand why the fact that cosmic dust came together and formed earth, and then elements came together and by pure 1:100000gabillion chance formed a living cell, which cell then spread and evolved into millions of different configurations, and out of those came sentient beings that could learn and build things like pyramids and airplanes and twinkies....

I just don't understand why that's not magical enough but instead we must invent stories about been created by aliens or super computers or some such idiocy.

Because it's fun. Don't be a party pooper.

if energy signatures in our simulations match those in the universe at large, there's a good chance we, too, exist within a simulation

That's a big assumption and is predicated upon the idea that the simulated universe we may or may not be in is an accurate & realistic simulation of our "parent" universe. I think - under the assumptions made in "The Simulation Argument" - the odds would be that our simulated reality isn't anything like the reality above it (which is also probably a simulation).

That's deep jordash

I don't understand why people won't just shut up and believe that elements collided in a 1 in a gajillion chance to create us, which makes it, effectively a mathematical possibility...

...but instead are such STUPID IDIOTS as to believe that because we have developed consciousness, that there are higher levels that we cannot yet comprehend or understand, that that they may have had a hand in our creation, and may yet provide actual reasoning as to our existence.

Seriously. It was one in a fucktillion chance of dust coming together. Can't you morons see that? :rolleyes:

/s

News flash: you're no more omnipotent than anyone else, so quit with the bigotry against anyone who happens to disagree on something NOBODY has ANY fucking proof of. And no...I'm agnostic, not a believer in anything that people like you get hard-ons from scoffing at.

Problem I see is if someone actually determines this, then some idiot is going to go looking for the off switch.

Then I'll be pissed.

I'm not a physicists by any means, but the type of technology you'd need to simulate a universe, would also allow for perfectly stealthing it's existence. You'd only know if the simulators wanted you to know. And who knows who's simulating the simulators, and so on.

No, mass suicide to get back to the real world.:cool:

No, mass suicide to get back to the real world.:cool:

Why not raise some hell on the way out? Look at sandbox games like SimCity, Grand Theft Auto, etc... it's far too tempting to just go crazy if you are convinced there's a reset button. Heck, look at suicide bombers...

Who would want to quit the game? We've gotten used to playing within the rules. Now it's GTA 1000...the ultimate simulator.

Oops, looks like some logic code got re-used between our two instances... Guess we are a simulation?

Oops, looks like some logic code got re-used between our two instances... Guess we are a simulation?

Deja vu?

Look again.

600px-MatrixDesertEagle-4.jpg

If we discovered that our existence is a simulation, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. ;)

That's deep jordash

Because it's fun. Don't be a party pooper.

Yea nobody likes a Betty Buzzkill.

This is interesting though. Really makes you think about the whole Dec 21st thing. Sorta. Heh.

The Matriception.

It's a dream within a computer within a dream.

Starring Neonardo DiCaprio.

Back