Photographers Find Nikon's Facebook Status Insulting

I don't find it insulting, just wrong. A great photographer can use any equipment and shoot a great picture. It's the pro-sumer market that thinks, "Oh if I buy this 750$ Nikkor lens, the photos of my cat will look professional."

Photography is an art and a camera is just a tool, you still need imagination and that natural gift to do it right.

Oh and Pentax > Nikon and Canon lol. Long live the K-mount.

Well, the main thing I think they wanted to say is.

Capture higher quality images with better lens.

For example, my droid 1 sucks in capturing good pictures.
It is because of the lens and stuff that the phone uses. Newer phones take much better pics.

if some kb/mouse company said something like "a gamer is only as good as his gear" everyone would be calling BS and talking about their 10 year old mechanical KB and basic 3-5 button mouse and posting screen shots of them at the top of the leader board.

Noo people go on and on about their $2304506012 dollar shitty mechanicals. :D Still can't use one for games because of the longer length making movement much slower than a cheaper wonderful rubber dome low profile board :p (which isn't nice for typing but oh well thats not what i'm doing. I'm not feeble either so it doesn't give me wrist aches and nose bleeds. Racing cars aren't build for comfort bitches!)... But old mechanicals are the only one true way! (though I am a bit more interested in the reappearance of red switches...they seem to suit my needs, so the new "game" keyboard might be one of them, blue/black switches aren't right, though nice to type on. Oh and IBM keyboards are fucking awful. Seriously. Unless you have it with a ball mouse for that retro feel.)

Cue bitching...while i'm at it!

Like how everyone should be playing with IPS monitors because color shift is the most important thing to gamers! You might be aiming to hit the red part, then a bullet flys at you so instinctively you duck to the side! The color shifts and BOOM you miss! But in this situation with an IPS. 12ms later youd be hitting that fool possibly in 24bit color! Try hiding in those gradients now!

Oh and cannon > Nikkon. :p Though i've seen shitty shots taken by people with good cameras. But with a shittier camera theyd take even worse shots. With a great camera everythings becomes easier, so you probably have less limitations, and don't have to worry about some things as much, like low light causing horrendous amounts of noise and blah blah blah. Unless you are into that stupid photography where they use shitty cameras fom the 70s with off film for "interesting" effects that I could do in 3 seconds on PSP. But then your probably a pretentious fool who likes to copy 213401530 others.

I need moar caffeine...

Canon glass > Nikon glass, easily, any day of the week.

The low-end bodies (Rebels, etc..) are fairly comparable, but I'll still take Canon any day (What do you care about? Slightly better IQ or slightly better low-light? Sorry, don't need slightly less noisy ISO 82034856. But you might).

Buncha people in this thread that don't understand one iota about photography.

Some that do, and props to you, but still... Many that don't.

:eek: *quickly hides his Fuji S5 Pro* Nope, sir, nothing to declare.

I still have a Bronica ETRSI and a set of lenses, My god I wish I could afford a digital back for that camera, you do your part and that huge glass makes magic.... much cheaper than a Hasselblad too.

Zarathustra[H];1037813041 said:
Canon makes some great gear, no doubt.

Most of Canon's reputation today comes from their 90s autofocus system which absolutely blew Nikons away.

Canon's would AF quickly and accurately, where as Nikons system at the time (body motor driven AF, and AF-D) was comparatively slow and would occasionally hunt.

Nikon - however - was first an optics company and only an electronics company by necessity. Their lenses have always produced somewhat better image quality. Their ED coatings on their lenses were AMAZING for their time at reducing ghosting and reflections in the glass, and their build quality was always fantastic.

Today, Nikon has caught up with Canon in the AF department. Nikons AF-I and AF-S are every bit as good as Canons autofocus systems. Canon's EF lens coatings have improved, but are no match for Nikons latest nano-crystal coatings. Canons lens build quality has also improved (and Nikons has - IMHO - gone down soewhat) to the point where they are mostly equivalent here.

The big difference is in the digital bodies. Nikons digital sensors BLOW AWAY equivalently priced bodies from Canon, especially when it comes to noise levels in low light. Nikons crop sensors are practically able to compete with Canon's full frame sensors in this regard, which is pretty amazing.

honestly I have not kept up with anything from either camp... I shot a 1D for many, many years, recently got a 1D Mark II (upgraded from 4 to 8MP! woowoo!) and I'm sure by now they are both pretty equal... I just like the way my 1D series cameras work, and I've invested wayyyyy too much money in lenses to even think about switching...

I will tell you this though... who's lenses does Sony put in front of their professional HD cameras? Canon ;)

honestly I have not kept up with anything from either camp... I shot a 1D for many, many years, recently got a 1D Mark II (upgraded from 4 to 8MP! woowoo!) and I'm sure by now they are both pretty equal... I just like the way my 1D series cameras work, and I've invested wayyyyy too much money in lenses to even think about switching...

I will tell you this though... who's lenses does Sony put in front of their professional HD cameras? Canon ;)
You have to careful when you see lense branding. Just because it says Nikkor or Canon or Zeiss on the side does not mean it's been made to the specifications or same factories those companies built their names from in the past.

Once you start dropping thousands of dollars per lense the differences between Canon and Nikkor come down to what system the rest of your gear is part. I don't consider Sony's use of anything as a particularly strong endorsement of quality rather than attributing their decision to maximizing profit margins.

The point I'm making is that no matter what when Canon and Nikon both make lenses that cost more than the price of the entire Sony system then someone is cutting something somewhere to hit those price points.

Sounds like whiny photogs to me. I'm amazed at how pissey they get when good equipment is talked about as part of the equation for getting good pictures. They start railing on how it is about the person, not the gear and so on and so forth. Of course, none of them use their cellphone cameras for shoots, they own tons of expensive gear.

People really need to get over it. Yes skill matters, but so does gear. Learn just a little bit about optics and you can see why a good lens is so important. Doesn't mean you can buy a good camera and be magic, but it matters.

I sure as hell notice with the video I've shot. You shoot on a cheap, small, "HD" camcorder and man, that stuff lacks in detail. Shoot the same thing on a higher end $4000 camera and suddenly it is crystal clear. No magic, just optics and sensors.

There's even a difference with high end consumer and low end prosumer stuff. We have some Panasonic TM900s at work. They do a real good job, particularly for the money. I'm happy with them. However there is noticeable quality difference between them and the HMC-150s I borrow for important stuff. They are both 3 sensor units, they both record to AVCHD (1080p on flash media), both have Leica lenses. However the 150s have better quality sensors, and better (and perhaps more importantly larger) lenses.

Neither will make up for crappy shooting, but you can tell something shot on the more expensive cameras, at least when viewed at 1080.

You have to careful when you see lense branding. Just because it says Nikkor or Canon or Zeiss on the side does not mean it's been made to the specifications or same factories those companies built their names from in the past.

the BetaCAM HD cameras I used at one of my jobs you bought the bodies from Sony and the lenses from Canon

some people needs a life if they find this offending... seriously

As far as bodies go for DSLR's these days, between Nikon and Canon, most features are mostly equivalent.

Canon has an advantage in raw resolution, to the point where for most shooting conditions they outresolve their glass and the extra resolution is pointless.

Nikon has a huge advantage in low light shooting. It's not even close. The $1000 crop sensor pro-sumer D7000 is almost on par with Canon's top professional offerings in this regard, and Nikons top end D3s is about 3 times better in low light than the best Canon offering.

I don't see how what they said isn't common professional knowledge. Sure you can use your skills to make a shitty lens perform better than a novice... but a higher quality lens combined with those skills would get much better results. It' no different than someone building bridge with rusted and rotted supplies. It's not going to turn out well, regardless at how skilled he might be at bridge building.

That's not how it works at all. It's an art, and you can make due with bad equipment or great equipment. Someone with a 30 year old AE-1 can easily take better photos than a rich middle aged tourist with an EOS 7-D.

It's silly to get truly upset over it, but it was also a stupid thing to say, especially given the market Nikon's SLRs attract vs. Canon. I don't think responding to it on Facebook with a snarky comment is so bad.

some people needs a life if they find this offending... seriously

People like being offended! Easiest way to get crap from people and feel empowered! "You offendwed mwee! Now give me stuff of I shall be pissy and offwended forevar and tell everyone how terrible you arrre!!! :(:D". What happens when you are offended? You are offended. Thats it, no one dies or gets injured or offence cancer. :p

That's not how it works at all. It's an art, and you can make due with bad equipment or great equipment. Someone with a 30 year old AE-1 can easily take better photos than a rich middle aged tourist with an EOS 7-D.

It's silly to get truly upset over it, but it was also a stupid thing to say, especially given the market Nikon's SLRs attract vs. Canon. I don't think responding to it on Facebook with a snarky comment is so bad.

and yet, that's not even what I said... My post had nothing to do with how well a skilled person can used bad equipment to get better results than someone with good equipment but no skill. That's almost guaranteed. So take the EOS 7-D away from the tourist and give it to the guy with the AE-1, how much difference would it make for the person who knows what he's doing?

it is pretty funny to read these comments.... because of the hypocrisy.

if some kb/mouse company said something like "a gamer is only as good as his gear" everyone would be calling BS and talking about their 10 year old mechanical KB and basic 3-5 button mouse and posting screen shots of them at the top of the leader board.

all the camera in the world isn't going to make you a better photographer. same way all the computer stuff you want wont make you a better gamer.

Go play BFBC2 on 1.5ghz celeron with an fx5200 and let us know how that goes for you :D

New line of thinking: A camera is worthless without a photographer.. BUT a photographer and a camera are useless without a subject.

I don't care how pretty the picture is, if it's a photo of a bowl or some bolts on a workshop table with nothing done, I could care less about you and your work.

Back