Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch 4K IPS PWM-free monitor

I could only find %15 off on the Dell currently. That is not enough to bring the price down to even +50% of the Philips price. The Philips came to just over $800 from Amazon meaning I would need to find a %40 off coupon from Dell to get into the same price range. I'm not knocking the Dell at all, and it looks like they should be excellent as well, but comes at a hefty price.

If the Philips doesn't please me, or has some problem, it will go back to Amazon and I will buy the Dell. With the limited information and reviews of these two monitors, I just can't see how the Dell will be $400 better than the Philips.

I also know I want to end up with a 43" 4k OLED when something like that is released and can't see spending extra money these LCD monitors now.

Also, if I do come across a 25-40% off from Dell I will probably just buy one of those too so I can compare.

Whoa there lol, no one was saying don't buy the Philips or that you should get the Dell. I simply inquired about the model # because I hadn't heard about Dell releasing a 43" 4K until someone mentioned it in this thread. Personally I would prefer the Dell because of the stand, the superior (IMO) warranty, and the Premium Panel Guarantee but I probably wouldn't pay hundreds of extra dollars for those things. I certainly wouldn't expect any deep discounts on the Dell for a while. The really good sales/coupons normally happen after the product is out for a while so if you have to have it now and you don't want to spend the extra money then the Philips is the obvious choice. I agree with you that at the current prices, the Dell probably isn't worth the extra money. In the future, if it ends up on sale for less than $1K then I would probably rather have it but I think barring any major flaws it will be hard to go wrong with the Philips.

I guess I'm the one trying to convince myself to NOT buy the Dell and save some money. The Philips will probably be fine and make me happy anyway.

The information on the Dell was lacking until they finally updated the website the other day. I do like the warranty and panel guarantee that comes with the Dell which was not initially listed. Those are worth something and make a higher price much easier to swallow. Also I think the Dell is a mate screen vs. the Philips which is said to be more on the glossy side. I'm not sure I care either way on mate vs. glossy. To me the stand makes no difference as I will be VESA mounting either one.

Honestly, the only thing I can see that will make or break either monitor for me is input lag and we have no idea at this point on which monitor has the least.

I should know more tomorrow when I receive the Philips. To be continued.

Amen on the lag. If these really are out then it shouldn't be long until we get some official reviews that shed some light on their performance in the usual key areas. I do hope you get it tomorrow (just in time for the weekend, yay right?!) and look forward to your impressions. Really glad I didn't get the BDM4065UC because although the size and price were pluses, it just felt like there were too many compromises. I'm really glad that Philips decided to continue the trend and release an improved version for 2016, and having Dell on board this train is a good thing as well.

Amen on the lag. If these really are out then it shouldn't be long until we get some official reviews that shed some light on their performance in the usual key areas. I do hope you get it tomorrow (just in time for the weekend, yay right?!) and look forward to your impressions. Really glad I didn't get the BDM4065UC because although the size and price were pluses, it just felt like there were too many compromises. I'm really glad that Philips decided to continue the trend and release an improved version for 2016, and having Dell on board this train is a good thing as well.
Lender mentioned that his is expected to be delivered tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to some first impressions.

Lender mentioned that his is expected to be delivered tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to some first impressions.

Yup hence why I said that I hope he gets it tomorrow; I too am looking forward to some impressions of this thing. But unless he has a lag tester, we won't know those numbers...hopefully he'll be able to compare with his existing monitor and be able to say "Heck yeah, this feels really good!" :)

Yup hence why I said that I hope he gets it tomorrow; I too am looking forward to some impressions of this thing. But unless he has a lag tester, we won't know those numbers...hopefully he'll be able to compare with his existing monitor and be able to say "Heck yeah, this feels really good!" :)
My b. I'm eyeball deep in a project someone wanted last week but I was only told about it Tuesday. Was quickly glancing through the unread posts while waiting for the server to respond.

Yes, I believe it will be here tomorrow. It was shipped yesterday, is with FedEx, and says tomorrow by 8PM.

I do not have any real lag tester, but I will put it up next to my 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC that is very little if any input lag and take some stopwatch pictures. Also the good ole seat of the pants Counter Strike test will be one of the first things I do too. Being an old time competitive CS player, I should have some idea with just that, but the scientist in me must have empirical evidence also.

Getting excited!

It is here!

Taking a lunch break, but I have to finish up work. Should have some more info later for you all but I just wanted to let you know that I HAVE IT!

It is here!

Taking a lunch break, but I have to finish up work. Should have some more info later for you all but I just wanted to let you know that I HAVE IT!

Waiting for your test!! Is it a glossy screen??

Last edited:
For anyone living in Canada. I emailed Philips this week and they said they are in touch with Best Buy to to have them stock it up here. They said it was looking like mid-may. "MSRP is not set yet but it should be close to CAD equivalent of US price", so that's good. The BDM4065UC was at BB here, so it's just a matter of time.

Man, this is looking good. I love Glossy, I love huge, I love 4k, I love name brands. If it has excellent input lag ... I'm going to absolutely fukking buy this display.

I had too much going on today to really have much time with the monitor other than setting it up and doing some web browsing.

Yes to the glossy, but that isn't a problem for me at all honestly because I have no direct sunlight from the window and I do not use back-lit keys. I almost prefer it to the Dell mate I had before.

The monitor defaults to DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4 and 30hz max, so I had a bit of time figuring out I had to manual set the monitor to HDMI 2.0 and/or DP 1.3 to enable 60hz.

As you all probably know, the stand is no good imo. It has fixed feet with no adjust ability what so ever. I need to wait until Sunday to VESA mount this, but that should fix everything as far as adjusting to my liking.

Input lag appears to be much better than the Samsung TV I had before this and so far I have no complaints really. Again, no real game testing today, that will be tomorrow, and I need to do some real tests of this tomorrow vs my Dell 3007WFP-HC just to be empirical.

I haven't seen any bright, stuck, or otherwise bad pixels but again, I need to take some time to really investigate. Overall I don't notice any issues with the ~1hr of usage so far.

Overall I think I will be happy and I will report back tomorrow with more a more in-depth review, as well as some pictures.

:-D

I checked for dead/stuck/bright pixels and I can't find any. Woohoo!

Light bleed isn't bad at all, if any. I can't really see any bleed and I can't take any good pictures for you with all the daylight right now. Tonight I will take some pictures and do the input lag test.

So far so good. My biggest gripes with this monitor are the logo/led below the bezel at the bottom (going to be trying to remove it on Sunday), the monitor buttons/controls/power are on the back side of the monitor, the stand, and when the monitor wakes from sleep mode, all my open windows are shoved to the top left of the monitor. I might find another fix for the last issue, and suggestions are welcome, but I haven't solved that yet. Other than those things, I have no other qualms with it so far. Very sharp, clear and beautiful.

Off to play with the toy.

I checked for dead/stuck/bright pixels and I can't find any. Woohoo!

Light bleed isn't bad at all, if any. I can't really see any bleed and I can't take any good pictures for you with all the daylight right now. Tonight I will take some pictures and do the input lag test.

So far so good. My biggest gripes with this monitor are the logo/led below the bezel at the bottom (going to be trying to remove it on Sunday), the monitor buttons/controls/power are on the back side of the monitor, the stand, and when the monitor wakes from sleep mode, all my open windows are shoved to the top left of the monitor. I might find another fix for the last issue, and suggestions are welcome, but I haven't solved that yet. Other than those things, I have no other qualms with it so far. Very sharp, clear and beautiful.

Off to play with the toy.

I think the huge Samsung TV thread had instructions somewhere to fix the last issue you noted.

Amazon's status for this has gone from "Temporarily Unavailable" to "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months."

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For anyone living in Canada. I emailed Philips this week and they said they are in touch with Best Buy to to have them stock it up here. They said it was looking like mid-may. "MSRP is not set yet but it should be close to CAD equivalent of US price", so that's good. The BDM4065UC was at BB here, so it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the info!

Sounds really good, Lender. How is the IPS glow? I play a lot of dark games and panel glow absolutely kills the experience. That's something that my Samsung doesn't do. I'm hoping that the glosssy surface of this monitor will be better than matte in that regard. My previous IPS monitors (matte) have all had noticeable glow. They were beautiful otherwise, though.

I took a shot in my room with all the lights off and a full black screen. I don't notice any real bleed while using it but from the picture you can see a little bit. For me this is totally acceptable and nothing like some of the other panels I have had in the past. I would rate it as good overall.

DSC_0038.JPG

Also, I tried to do some input lag testing but, I need to find my other camera. I also didn't have lots of time to try and get the shot right. I will post just two pictures that show somewhere around ~20ms give or take. Once I find my other camera I should be able to get some better shots. Remember these are never the most accurate anyway but give you some idea. Feel is also faster than the Samsung TV I had before in game mode, but not as fast as the Dell I came from. Again putting it at or around the same 20ms number.
DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Looks like that the panel has a big issue with burn in (for two owners a burn in happened only after 15 min, see link below the comments) . Another problem seems to be dark clouds on light background. I would recommend to check this. No panel for me if this is true.

Look at the comments (you have to go to the youtube page to see the comments)

I would say my panel is quite uniform and I don't have the dark clouds they are referring to. I also don't seem to have burn in either but I am currently testing that since everyone in those comments is freaking out about it.

I'm also happy to report that the window resize fix from the Samsung thread worked for me. Thanks!

are you able to overclock to 120hz at 1080p on this panel?
I tried but was unable to get it to work. I'm going with no on that one.

I guess 120hz would be kind of cool but at 1080p it just isn't something I care about personally. Now if it was 4k 120hz, that might be more interesting (even thought I couldn't hardly push that kind of fps with my 980ti in any game).

PS: When I VESA mounted this today to my table, the small Philips logo below the monitor removed SUPER easy with just two screws and that allowed me to put it about 1/4" inch off my desk. I love how I now have NO logo or any junk on the bezel anywhere. Sweetness.

I tried but was unable to get it to work. I'm going with no on that one.

I guess 120hz would be kind of cool but at 1080p it just isn't something I care about personally. Now if it was 4k 120hz, that might be more interesting (even thought I couldn't hardly push that kind of fps with my 980ti in any game).

PS: When I VESA mounted this today to my table, the small Philips logo below the monitor removed SUPER easy with just two screws and that allowed me to put it about 1/4" inch off my desk. I love how I now have NO logo or any junk on the bezel anywhere. Sweetness.

A little dissapointing but we can't have everything it seems. I'm considering getting one of these for sure!

Which mount did you use for it?

Which mount did you use for it?

I use this mount on Amazon:
Tyke Supply Dual LCD Monitor Stand

Just something I had around from, oh 5 years ago says Amazon? I took one of the arms off, used an adapter plate:
Monoprice 200X200mm Bracket Universal Adapter
and put it on my desk.

*edit* tried to direct link to Amazon but it just wasn't working. Search those on Amazon if you want to know what.

IMG_20160501_195801.jpg
IMG_20160501_195810.jpg
IMG_20160501_195834.jpg

Last edited:
User on YT confirmed no freesync.

Fuck you, Phillips. You'd better be updating the firmware soon....

User on YT confirmed no freesync.

Fuck you, Phillips. You'd better be updating the firmware soon....
Adding freesync would IMO hurt the sales. That's why you almost never see a freesync monitor without a G-sync alternative also on the offer. Nvidia has ~80% GPU market share and these owners would be reluctant to buy a freesync product, even though it has no downsides, but simply not being able to take advantage of adaptive sync technology would be a huge turn off. And companies know that.

Adding freesync would IMO hurt the sales. That's why you almost never see a freesync monitor without a G-sync alternative also on the offer. Nvidia has ~80% GPU market share and these owners would be reluctant to buy a freesync product, even though it has no downsides, but simply not being able to take advantage of adaptive sync technology would be a huge turn off. And companies know that.

That's not Phillips' fault people feel that way. That's nvidia bullshit, their users can suffer for it until nvidia is forced to support it properly (outside of mobile graphics..). Releasing a screen like that will bring awareness to the issue. Or hopefully ASUS will, there's a market for it..
Either way it costs a few cents at most for them to include it, plus any R&D, it's just absurd for them to not include it and an inconvenience to their end users. Koreans already have it, so I guess I'll have to weigh both options up again.

I think those would be nice bonuses, G-sync or Freesync, but they are geared toward the gamer. These 4k monitors are really great for productivity though and it is why many people are moving to them (requiring neither G-sync nor Freesync).

Gaming at 4k also takes what, 2xTitan X cards to get reasonable frame rates in AAA titles? You will see 4k and gaming converge much faster once we get single cards that can push 60~fps in modern games.

Also, I personally would rather they focus on getting input lag down to zero on 4k monitors first. It seems to be a big problem with almost every 4k TV or monitor. This effects gaming more than having 60-120fps.

Some day we will have everything we want, including OLED, but not today.

PS: Can you tell how obsessed I am with OLED? ug.

Lender

Do you experience any color or contrast issues when viewing the monitor 30 degrees off center? Thanks.

I think those would be nice bonuses, G-sync or Freesync, but they are geared toward the gamer. These 4k monitors are really great for productivity though and it is why many people are moving to them (requiring neither G-sync nor Freesync).

Gaming at 4k also takes what, 2xTitan X cards to get reasonable frame rates in AAA titles? You will see 4k and gaming converge much faster once we get single cards that can push 60~fps in modern games.

Also, I personally would rather they focus on getting input lag down to zero on 4k monitors first. It seems to be a big problem with almost every 4k TV or monitor. This effects gaming more than having 60-120fps.

Some day we will have everything we want, including OLED, but not today.

PS: Can you tell how obsessed I am with OLED? ug.

Fair call! Input lag is another one for sure. It's more that if I'm buying this monitor now, it'd be run on a 290x or Vega next year, if OLED isn't available by then. So freesync will be needed and hopefully vega does 4k single card..
I don't know if those Dell OLEDs are in the wild yet. I have a feeling they're waiting for Dp1.3 to get full 120Hz 10bit...
That's another area where freesync would be pretty important. Who needs a 120hz productivity panel...?
If they can get that all sorted, I'd gladly drop 3-5k for a panel like that. It won't be obsolete until the rest of the PC is.. (5-6 years+ at this rate currently)... even then it'll still kick ass compared to mainstream offerings.

We have resident user here who is working on boards for various LCD panels to mitigate input lag but has nothing for this one particularly yet. If he needs investment to make a freesync board that does it too, I'd gladly shell out.

I had an evil, evil idea...
Get my grubby mitts on a wasabi mango driver/control/board thingy and retrofit to the phillips panel assuming the panel is identical (likely) and connectors same (likely).... ;)

Back