Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I bought the Philips. I just couldn't resist the price, considering 1440p monitors sell for this much normally here in Canada.

kllswitch;

we are thinking alike...waiting on new water gear and time for the build

20151127_175912.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kllswitch;

we are thinking alike...waiting on new water gear and time for the build]

NICE!!!! yea i actually just ordered 3 titan Xs yesterday morning and am gonna sell my 980TIs. Yea once you've gone 4K there is no looking back lol

I picked it up yesterday and after show casing it to a few of my friends and colleges, already 3 of them garbed one up with hours after seeing it.

@$500 USD I simply cannot complain with the value per dollar this display represents. Also I'm surprised that lowering the brightness has not cause any visible flicker or fatigue since it uses PWM. Of course PWM will cause ghosting artifacts but I can't perceive it at 80% brightness.

Word of warning, for those looking into using a 40" 4K displays. Some might find the Size a little to intimidating as a desktop PC monitor. Honestly I think 32" is the sweet spot but if you don't mind bigger, it's so much better when gaming as the larger screen is more immersive. Not to mention since the screen is larger you are less likely to having to use DPI scaling as I have mine left @ 100% in windows 7 and am able to read text fine. Sitting 1 foot from the display the DPI looks identical to a 1440p 27" monitor.

Last edited:
Hey do any of you guys intend to Calibrate your displays with a meter? I was thinking of maybe going down that route.

kllswitch;

we are thinking alike...waiting on new water gear and time for the build

20151127_175912.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Are you planning on gaming across all three screens? I only ask because I game on a single 4K screen an my setup cannot sustain good FPS on Ultra settings in most new title, I hope you aren't expecting a similar setup to blast 3X those pixels!

If it does run well, tell me your secret!

Hey do any of you guys intend to Calibrate your displays with a meter? I was thinking of maybe going down that route.

i took the profile that tftcentral did and used that as a calibrated profile and also used there adjustments looks pretty good to me.

Are you planning on gaming across all three screens? I only ask because I game on a single 4K screen an my setup cannot sustain good FPS on Ultra settings in most new title, I hope you aren't expecting a similar setup to blast 3X those pixels!

If it does run well, tell me your secret!

I bought Titan Xs to see if i could game across all three. 980TIs dont cut it lol.

kllswithch...good on those titans...i thought about it, but i dont game enough to justify; the memory should help.

kazeo...most of my computerwork is productivity/multitasking/VMs, etc...if I do any gaming, I will probably window or scale 3x1080p

nightingale...will post op some fresh pics...anticipate during XMAS...ugh: work

I am planning on using the tft calibration as KLL mentioned

Last edited:
kllswithch...good on those titans...i thought about it, but i dont game enough to justify; the memory should help.

kazeo...most of my computerwork is productivity/multitasking/VMs, etc...if I do any gaming, I will probably window or scale 3x1080p

yea that's what i'm hoping for.

I am noticing some pretty bad color banding in the sky on the witcher 3. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize it?

hey guys, could you advise me good settings for this monitor? bright, contrast, RGB and so on. I'm working in a dark room and with my blind eyes not sure that i configured monitor with good colors:) thanks

hey guys, could you advise me good settings for this monitor? bright, contrast, RGB and so on. I'm working in a dark room and with my blind eyes not sure that i configured monitor with good colors:) thanks

Try the TFTCentral settings, it should get you a decent image. A lot of it is up to personal preference, but what I can say is that the monitor by default has a desaturated and cold image, so at least dropping the blue channel is recommended. There's no saturation options but you can adjust it through your gpu control panel.

Hi all,

I just picked one of these up from the Canadian Best Buy sale and noticed two things:

1. VA glow appears to be worse on the bottom left corner, and
2. There is a speck of dust in the upper left hand corner.

Does anybody else's panel have these issues? Should I try an exchange?

Thanks

Edit: Some pictures of what I am talking about.
The dust:
http://i.imgur.com/bVMIYt1.jpg
The glow:
http://i.imgur.com/NREC0hz.jpg

Last edited:
I'm contemplating taking this back and by no means do I think it's a bad monitor, especially for the price I paid it's a steal.

However I don't think I can adjust to such as massive size. For me 32" is the sweet spot.
DPI scaling is a must and without a doubt makes the size far more manageable. I'm aware that every one is different and some people will love the immersion that 40" gives. Personally I think monitors at this size should be curved as it would make it alot easier on the eyes and reduce VA gamma shift. Speaking of which horizontal VA gamma shift is minor on the Philips, but more pronounced vertically. I find turning brightness to 100% reduces the perceived horizontal shift. Just so I am clear I only noticed the shift if I get to close to the monitor. Sadly I noticed this display does suffer from the VA cone effect where right in the middle of the display it's actually darker in an oval like shape. I don't ever notice this unless I am looking at a picture or a certain image that is predominately one color. All of the above mentioned is not really noticeable when gaming though.

Input latency is good and would only become an issue if you were a twitch based CS:GO player. Naturally there is a price to pay for the INKY blacks. Transition time from dark to white is rather high, but in practical use it's hardly ever seen. Transition time for the rest of the colors it's very fast for a VA panel.

Colors are fine, but they are not as vibrant as the BENQ IPS 4K panel I played with.
Oh and I whole heartily disagree with those that said this monitor is fine at 100% brightness. It's far too bright, unless your in a room with strong emanating light from a window or in an office with florescent lighting. I wish the display had better default color presets. I personally like a warm 6500k display. The SGB profile Philips has causes color banding and black crush.

For those wondering about PWM eye fatigue, it has not been an issue for me. I'm running my unit at 58% brightness with Smart Uniformity on and the TFT central ICC profile. It's better than the defaults but bear in mind color profiles made by others are uniquely tied to the monitor they were measured on, so it's not really ideal relying on TFT profile but it serves it's purpose.

So here is the other thing that bothers me, I can easily notice the motion clarity taking a hit by way of PWM artifacts. Unless set to 100% brightness this display will emit PWM artifacting, which affects the motion fluidity. It's not brutal, but it's there and it bothers me.

Now if I payed $1000 I would not be happy, but what sort of eats at me is that even with all the flaws I listed (no monitor is perfect) I doubt for $699 CDN I could find a better 4K monitor @ 40" or even 32"

The best 40" curved 4K monitor I have seen was the Samsung JU7500 which had it used DC dimming instead of PWM would have been the perfect monitor for me.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just picked one of these up from the Canadian Best Buy sale and noticed two things:

Thanks

The dust:
The glow:

I'm getting the same amount of glow and color distortion as yours as well. I'm not sure how TFT can produce a pure black screen shot.

Boys hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's called panel lottery. Try and take them back and get bestbuy to exchange them for another brand new monitor.

My unit has only minor bleed, nothing like what you posted.

Just curious if any suitable alternatives to the BDM4065UC have come out in the past few months?

I purchased the BDM4065UC back in April and love the monitor but would upgrade if one with better picture quality was available.

Has anyone tried one of the 4K OLED TVs as a computer monitor? Wondering if they suffer from input lag or any other common TV vs monitor distinctions?

Thanks for any info.

Has anyone tried one of the 4K OLED TVs as a computer monitor? Wondering if they suffer from input lag or any other common TV vs monitor distinctions?

A couple of people here have, and IIRC the input lag was considerably higher.

Most who have tried the Philips along with the Samsung 2015 4K LCD TVs agree that the Samsungs have better image quality, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify an upgrade. The reduced gamut of the Philips is a definite turn-off for me but may not be as big of a deal for others.

It would be great if Philips would release another one of these in 2016 that addressed the minor complaints that people had with this model.

Hi all,

Thanks

The dust:
The glow:

I have one of those "dust specs" in the lower-center area of my screen, which I only noticed about a week ago while cleaning it.

I definitely don't have VA glow on mine as severe as yours. VA artifacts are minimal and uniformity is extremely good. Is your camera making the effect more pronounced?

I have one of those "dust specs" in the lower-center area of my screen, which I only noticed about a week ago while cleaning it.

I definitely don't have VA glow on mine as severe as yours. VA artifacts are minimal and uniformity is extremely good. Is your camera making the effect more pronounced?

Unfortunately no. I tried to step back further and I increased the brightness to 100% and got this: http://i.imgur.com/u7VqXvk.jpg

It looks to me like backlight bleed, not so much VA glow.

My first unit had a speck of dust in the middle of the monitor and a bunch of stuck sub pixels and darker corners. I got a replacement and it's perfect, no issues at all. The picture above looked pretty bad to me, I'd get a replacment.

It's been a while since I've visited this thread but I have 2 questions:

- Can I adjust the HMDI black levels somehow ? +Have settings per input ? Right now it seems like all the options are global. :S

- Is there some sort of IR blaster for the RS232 input ? I would really like to configure PIP/PBP via remote, not the joystick on the back. PS: I refuse to install Philips SmartControl Premium, as it causes instability with the already wonky nvidia win10 drivers.

Is there some sort of IR blaster for the RS232 input ? I would really like to configure PIP/PBP via remote, not the joystick on the back. PS: I refuse to install Philips SmartControl Premium, as it causes instability with the already wonky nvidia win10 drivers.

people have worked on Windows applications to control it via RS232 but no IR to RS232 yet :( but if you find something please let me know :)

https://www.avforums.com/threads/controlling-philips-bdm4065-monitor-via-rs232.1980953/

Can someone adjust their Windows for "performance" (to eliminate the animations) and see if the issue of ghosting/blur is ameliorated?

ControlPanel->System->AdvancedSystemSettings->(Performance)Settings->"AdjustforBestPerformance"

My interests in this monitor are for desktop applications associated with stock trading.

My current rig are dual Sony KDL32W650A monitors. They are excellent but I suppose a tiny bit sluggish. But when I drag a window around the only thing I see while dragging is a small frame, not a blurred smear.

if you find something please let me know :)

Well I've already ordered a RS232 to usb cable and am planning to make a C++ Win10 universal app for it. (my server pc is connected to it that's always on and I can simply remote desktop to it with my nexus 6 or win10 tablet)

Well I've already ordered a RS232 to usb cable and am planning to make a C++ Win10 universal app for it. (my server pc is connected to it that's always on and I can simply remote desktop to it with my nexus 6 or win10 tablet)

i have a server which is always on never thought of using that actually, i can plug in my MCE RC6 IR Reciever and code a program to translate my remote buttons in to commands through a windows application so that i can use my harmony remote :)

Due to the natural of backlight, flash light shaped bleed will occur over long time of use.

My unit. Initial image:
IMG_20151207_211336.jpg

After about 1 hour of use:
IMG_20151207_013036.jpg

TFT central's recommended 38% brightness is too low for me. I set it to 52% to achieve 120cd/m2 brightness. The rest of setting I followed TFT central. Great image quality. Great value for $699 CAD.

Last edited:
Due to the natural of backlight, flash light shaped bleed will occur over long time of use.

My unit. Initial image:
http://s4.postimg.org/qb9udcfe5/IMG_20151207_211336.jpg

After about 1 hour of use:
http://s4.postimg.org/5sey8a1gt/IMG_20151207_013036.jpg

TFT central's recommended 38% brightness is too low for me. I set it to 52% to achieve 120cd/m2 brightness. The rest of setting I followed TFT central. Great image quality. Great value for $699 CAD.
That's not the greatest, but I've seen worse.

I also got mine for $699 CAD and have been using it for about a week now.

This is my first 4k monitor and while the 40" size is great (actually not too big), I'm not fully satisfied with it. Here's some pros/cons.

Pros:

- 40" 4k is great for everyday use. Not too big.
- No coil sound. Dead silent compared to my U3011
- Slim bezels are nice.
- Gaming is great. I don't notice any input lag.

Cons:

- I didn't think the color shift would bother me as much, but it does. Depending on your angle, it just looks washed out.
- Mine came with a minor scratch on the screen which isn't noticeable when using the monitor, but I know it's there, so I plan on replacing or just returning it one time.
- Blacks aren't as black as I thought they would be.
- Screen is a bit to glossy for me.
- Currently have it setup on my desk, but would need to buy a longer display port cable, and right angle power cable to wall mount. Also don't like where the connectors are placed.
- Watching videos that are not 4k don't look that great imo.

I just don't know if this monitor is worth the $699 CAD ($800 total). I'm debating whether or not I should keep this monitor or return it and go back to my Dell U3011 for the time being and wait until next year to get either a 1440p 75+hz g-sync / freesync , or some other 40" with a higher refresh rate.
I keep hearing how a refresh rate of 75+ is really noticeable and that people can't go back to 60hz. Also how g-sync / freesync is worth it. So while this Phillips monitor is a good upgrade in terms of size, I just don't know if I should keep it.......

That's not the greatest, but I've seen worse.

I also got mine for $699 CAD and have been using it for about a week now.

This is my first 4k monitor and while the 40" size is great (actually not too big), I'm not fully satisfied with it. Here's some pros/cons.

Pros:

- 40" 4k is great for everyday use. Not too big.
- No coil sound. Dead silent compared to my U3011
- Slim bezels are nice.
- Gaming is great. I don't notice any input lag.

Cons:

- I didn't think the color shift would bother me as much, but it does. Depending on your angle, it just looks washed out.
- Mine came with a minor scratch on the screen which isn't noticeable when using the monitor, but I know it's there, so I plan on replacing or just returning it one time.
- Blacks aren't as black as I thought they would be.
- Screen is a bit to glossy for me.
- Currently have it setup on my desk, but would need to buy a longer display port cable, and right angle power cable to wall mount. Also don't like where the connectors are placed.
- Watching videos that are not 4k don't look that great imo.

I just don't know if this monitor is worth the $699 CAD ($800 total). I'm debating whether or not I should keep this monitor or return it and go back to my Dell U3011 for the time being and wait until next year to get either a 1440p 75+hz g-sync / freesync , or some other 40" with a higher refresh rate.
I keep hearing how a refresh rate of 75+ is really noticeable and that people can't go back to 60hz. Also how g-sync / freesync is worth it. So while this Phillips monitor is a good upgrade in terms of size, I just don't know if I should keep it.......

I've been able to run my main panel at 75hz just set a custom resolution in nvidia control panel and see if you're panel will take it.

I have exchanged 3 units so far due to backlight bleed. The most recent one I have only has minor bleed (or glow) so I'm keeping it. The problem is, all 3 units suffer horizontal banding on the center of the screen. It's only noticeable when viewing from a dark grey image. I'm not sure if I should return it. I doubt I can find any monitor without any problems, since I can only notice it at a dark grey image,

I have exchanged 3 units so far due to backlight bleed. The most recent one I have only has minor bleed (or glow) so I'm keeping it. The problem is, all 3 units suffer horizontal banding on the center of the screen. It's only noticeable when viewing from a dark grey image. I'm not sure if I should return it. I doubt I can find any monitor without any problems, since I can only notice it at a dark grey image,

My BDM4065UC has the same backlight bleed and banding. For the price it's not the end of the world if you're using it for productivity/screen real estate purposes. However, I'd love to know of an alternative 4k 40"+ monitor or TV with better picture quality and no input lag or blurring issues. :eek:

Back