Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

My BDM4065UC has the same backlight bleed and banding. For the price it's not the end of the world if you're using it for productivity/screen real estate purposes. However, I'd love to know of an alternative 4k 40"+ monitor or TV with better picture quality and no input lag or blurring issues. :eek:

If they made a remake of Monty Python's Holy Grail, the Nights who say Ni would make King Arthur find the perfect 40" LCD monitor.

Guys I have been thinking about the Samsung JU7100 as my 40" monitor for productivity photo editing and practically no gaming (well none since I am selling my 980ti and getting a 960 as I will wait for Oculus and Pascal before gaming again).
But then reading about this bdm4065uc TV made me change my mind, I love the awesome Contrast Ratio for example so is there ANYTHING I am missing or that you think is a mistake to choose this over the Samsung?
Thanks!

General consensus is that the Philips has better CR but the Samsung will have more saturated colors and the ability to do frame interpolation to reduce blur and enhance motion fluidity. The Philips has that weird edge bleeding effect on certain colors but most people say it isn't a big deal in day to day use.

Anyway, both have compromises. I personally feel that the Samsung is a better display for me but there are happy owners of each.

Guys I have been thinking about the Samsung JU7100 as my 40" monitor for productivity photo editing and practically no gaming (well none since I am selling my 980ti and getting a 960 as I will wait for Oculus and Pascal before gaming again).
But then reading about this bdm4065uc TV made me change my mind, I love the awesome Contrast Ratio for example so is there ANYTHING I am missing or that you think is a mistake to choose this over the Samsung?
Thanks!

Does anyone have both the bdm4065uc and a 40" Samsung UHD/SUHD? Can't go by specs alone. Need someone to look at them both side by side and tell us the pros and cons (picture quality vs mouse lag vs motion blur etc). My HP ZR30w 30" for example has no input lag or motion blur, and it has significantly better font sharpness and colors compared to the bdm4065uc. When you look at text up close there is no comparison, the bdm4065uc fonts are washy even though it is the same DPI as the ZR30w. At some point there will be a 40" 4K monitor with better picture quality and no input lag or motion blur. Just need to know what that is and I'm not sure it exists yet. If you are looking for picture quality the bdm4065uc is ok but not its strong suit by any means in my opinion. When looking at it up close (as we do with monitors) the best explanation I can give is it looks like how some landscape monitors look when rotated into portrait mode. The pixels look different/washy somehow. You get used to it and the resolution is worth it but I can't wait for something better. :eek:

Does anyone have both the bdm4065uc and a 40" Samsung UHD/SUHD? Can't go by specs alone. Need someone to look at them both side by side and tell us the pros and cons (picture quality vs mouse lag vs motion blur etc). My HP ZR30w 30" for example has no input lag or motion blur, and it has significantly better font sharpness and colors compared to the bdm4065uc. When you look at text up close there is no comparison, the bdm4065uc fonts are washy even though it is the same DPI as the ZR30w. At some point there will be a 40" 4K monitor with better picture quality and no input lag or motion blur. Just need to know what that is and I'm not sure it exists yet. If you are looking for picture quality the bdm4065uc is ok but not its strong suit by any means in my opinion. When looking at it up close (as we do with monitors) the best explanation I can give is it looks like how some landscape monitors look when rotated into portrait mode. The pixels look different/washy somehow. You get used to it and the resolution is worth it but I can't wait for something better. :eek:

What video card are you using with it?
I tried the LG 43" that went on sale during BB and was very happy with the sharpeness but the pathetic black and contrast levels were too much to handle. :D

What video card are you using with it?
I tried the LG 43" that went on sale during BB and was very happy with the sharpeness but the pathetic black and contrast levels were too much to handle. :D

I'm currently using onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600 (displayport1.2 @ 59 Hz).

59 Hz vs 60 Hz doesn't make any difference. Was previously using Win 8.1, but am now on Win 10.

I also just plugged in an old NVIDIA Quadro 600 (displayport 1.1 @ 30 Hz) and the text is exactly the same. I can have both the NVIDIA and Intel adapters enabled at the same time and swapped the displayport cable coming from the BDM4065UC between the NVIDIA and Intel adapters and there is no difference.

Ok so you have not been able to try it at 4:4:4: 60Hz unless I am missing something, right?

PS just saw the issues with color bleeding into the gray backgrounds etc. If that happens no matter what configuration and in all of them then this will be a deal killer for me :/

Last edited:
PS just saw the issues with color bleeding into the gray backgrounds etc. If that happens no matter what configuration and in all of them then this will be a deal killer for me :/
I think you will miss out if you lay much weight on the issue.
I have been using it since April and the only time I see the bleeding is when I specifically do something to produce it. Now I am not a graphics artist or similar, but I have always been picky when it comes to monitors so it not like I'm sort of making due.

just finished up except need to do more wire management...hard on a mountainmod case..and have not calibrated; just turned brightness to 50%

2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ignore my sig.; haven't updated yet

4065UC x 3; used hp30 stands with some VESA mounts to allow tilt, height, rotation
ASUS RVE with EK monoblock
Intel 5960X
EVGA 980 TI hydrocopper x 2

just finished up except need to do more wire management...hard on a mountainmod case..and have not calibrated; just turned brightness to 50%

4065UC x 3; used hp30 stands with some VESA mounts to allow tilt, height, rotation
Intel 5960X

Can I ask where you found those stands? Looks like a good solution.

2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Intel 5960X

Just dual 980 ti's? Yawn! Wake me up when you quad SLI those babies!

j/k ;)

the stands are from my hp zr30w monitors i had...bought 3 VESA adapter plates on amazon for 25 dollars...pretty good buy to have adjustability to the monitor. The VESA adapter plate is a universal plate and goes up to 200mm x 200mm (which is the 4065UC pattern). The HP use 100mm x 100mm. Note well that the philips uses non-conventional VESA bolts = M4 x 10mm, 0.7 pitch; convention suggest M6. I had to go to Lowes and buy the M4 and some washers as the adapter plate correctly had 200mm x 200mm M6 holes drilled. I also had to buy some M4 flat head machine screws and associated nutes to attach the plate to the stand as HP had round head bolts

I am not sure if you can buy hp zr30w stands alone, but I got the idea after I found on google a guy who used 24 inch monitor stands.

...is there ANYTHING I am missing or that you think is a mistake to choose this over the Samsung?
Thanks!

The Samsung lineup has better colors supposedly. I've never seen any of them in person, but I've got a Philips BDM4065UC, and it definitely looks a little dull. There is no OSD setting for saturation, so if you want a more vibrant image, you have to boost it through your GPU's drivers. Which is perfectly fine if you only want to use it with your computer, but if you plan on connecting other peripherals which don't offer their own form of color correction, you're going to be stuck with an image that's kind of lifeless.

There is a glitch with the Philips that produces solid blocks/lines of discoloration across the screen. It only seems to happen with solid colors against solid backgrounds and you're unlikely to produce it unintentionally. It's not a big deal, but I don't think the Samsung has this issue.

The stand sucks on the Philips but you can VESA mount it if it bothers you.

And the Samsung screens come with all the features you'd expect to find with a TV, while the Philips does not.

Main selling points of the Philips are that it's got around half the input lag at 4:4:4, a significantly higher contrast ratio. Which may not necessarily mean that the blacks are deeper than the Samsungs, but could simply mean that the whitepoint goes higher in relation to the blacks.

The Philips isn't perfect, but I like mine and for a gaming heavy setup, I think it was the right choice.

Have any of you tried using ycbcr444 color format with the Philips? I felt that it might have given a slightly better result in color gradients over RGB, but could be just placebo or some other setting changing.

Here's a couple videos comparing the Philips to Samsung and Iiyama panels. They're in German, but the side-by-side comparisons are nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MqC5iTmhA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8bUWCFQII

Last edited:
Thinking of getting this monitor ! Can someone please post up some pictures of League of Legends at full 4k and maybe League of legends Windowed at like 24inches? That'd be sweet thanks

Hi everyone! I need some advice here!

I just got this monitor and I love the size etc but I have noticed a HUGE problem, and I think the panel is broken, but I'm not sure.

When displaying anything bright (white) on something dark (not pure black) like a dark grey it's very noticeable, say you have a solid grey background on your desktop and open a chrome/firefox window which is mainly white. The monitors colours break and above the windows it has HUGE green spill and below HUGE blue spill, which follows the windows if you move them around.

See links please:

http://imgur.com/a/wpRoj

This happens in windows 10, windows7, on display port, 60hz and 30hz, hdmi etc... 3 different nvidia drivers... it's 100% the monitor and not software.

This surely can't be normal ? anyone seen something like it? I'm used to IPS panels these days so im not sure if the lower grade panels are just super shit or if this actually is just broken.

Thanks!

So basically this is considered "normal" ? :)

No. Some "pixel walk* issues are fine when using test images (see lagom.nl inversion pixel walk page. Very few consumer screen is 100% bug free on those) but when they creep into normal daily use its NOT normal in any shape and form. Some people tolerate it but I would change it and keep changing unless you get a problem free one (outside of said stress test images)

Last edited:
No. Some "pixel walk* issues are fine when using test images (see lagom.nl inversion pixel walk page. Very few consumer screen is 100% bug free on those) but when they creep into normal daily use its NOT normal in any shape and form. Some people tolerate it but I would change it and keep changing unless you get a problem free one (outside of said stress test images)

Hmm yes I do agree, but looking at this forum:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1844919

It seems like the phillips monitor is just doomed?

Like you can't tell on anything that's in focus, but on the sides of what you are working with in photoshop for instance, due to its dark grey UI it's very noticeable.

But I am starting to think that the phillips monitor without this issue doesn't actually exist?

Hmm yes I do agree, but looking at this forum:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1844919

It seems like the phillips monitor is just doomed?

Like you can't tell on anything that's in focus, but on the sides of what you are working with in photoshop for instance, due to its dark grey UI it's very noticeable.

But I am starting to think that the phillips monitor without this issue doesn't actually exist?
I have been using the "doomed" monitor for 8 months now and the only time I see the issue is when I intentionally put up something to produce the situation. At first when I saw the test image that produce the flaw I was gutted, but it really is a non-issue in the way I use the monitor (and it is being used for all sorts both productive and entertainment wise). I'd say the situation is the same for most people here and really, unless one for some reason spends life using a specific tool that brings out the flaw then I predict using the Philips will be a joy.

To me it is simple really. Ever since back when the choice in computer monitors was if you wanted something that could VGA or SVGA my choice has always been to go for the best possible(and back then good monitors cost real money). Right now the Philips is is one of a very few monitors that bring 4K with a screen size that is the sweet spot with regards to PPI and while it is not perfect it is damn close.

I have been using the "doomed" monitor for 8 months now and the only time I see the issue is when I intentionally put up something to produce the situation. At first when I saw the test image that produce the flaw I was gutted, but it really is a non-issue in the way I use the monitor (and it is being used for all sorts both productive and entertainment wise). I'd say the situation is the same for most people here and really, unless one for some reason spends life using a specific tool that brings out the flaw then I predict using the Philips will be a joy.

To me it is simple really. Ever since back when the choice in computer monitors was if you wanted something that could VGA or SVGA my choice has always been to go for the best possible(and back then good monitors cost real money). Right now the Philips is is one of a very few monitors that bring 4K with a screen size that is the sweet spot with regards to PPI and while it is not perfect it is damn close.

Yes, this.. Have to agree.. after using it for a few days now, and changing my wallpaper to not be a solid colour the only place I really notice this issue.. and it's very obvious there is in photoshop! because PS's ui is exactly what fucks over the screen. It doesn't affect the actual working area, just everything outside of it.

Other than that I haven't thought about it at all.

Just got this monitor. I am not sure if it a problem but when I wake my PC from sleep depending how long it has been the monitor wakes up and then the screen glitches and then shuts down for 1 second and comes back up. does this 1-4 times before it is fully back. No problems once you start using it.

Just got this monitor. I am not sure if it a problem but when I wake my PC from sleep depending how long it has been the monitor wakes up and then the screen glitches and then shuts down for 1 second and comes back up. does this 1-4 times before it is fully back. No problems once you start using it.

Sounds to me as if the computer isn't keeping a constant signal to the monitor during it's wake up process - this would make the monitor conclude it needs to go into sleep mode. Do you get a message from the monitor that no signal is received before it shuts down?

Sounds to me as if the computer isn't keeping a constant signal to the monitor during it's wake up process - this would make the monitor conclude it needs to go into sleep mode. Do you get a message from the monitor that no signal is received before it shuts down?

My PC is on 24/7. I have the monitor set to go to sleep after 15 minutes in Windows. After it goes to sleep it shuts down and the monitor light is not solid. What happens is i move the mouse and Monitor wakes up fine but then it glitches and shuts off and within 1-2 seconds its back on. Does this 1-4 times and then it stays on no problem.

My PC is on 24/7. I have the monitor set to go to sleep after 15 minutes in Windows. After it goes to sleep it shuts down and the monitor light is not solid. What happens is i move the mouse and Monitor wakes up fine but then it glitches and shuts off and within 1-2 seconds its back on. Does this 1-4 times and then it stays on no problem.

So it is not your PC that goes to sleep, but just the monitor. That is something else than what you first described. Then I can't see a reason your PC should not be supplying a constant signal as opposed to if it was the PC waking up since then there is drivers being activated and so. Best guess is something electronic isn't doing what it should and the question is then if it's the PC or the monitor - if there is no "Missing signal" shown on the monitor I'd suspect the monitor but without seeing it happen it is hard to say. Maybe try using the monitor with a different PC to see if the issue can be recreated.

mine does this flickering too. if its on displayport it appears as a device to the computer so more handshaking is required

mine does this flickering too. if its on displayport it appears as a device to the computer so more handshaking is required

Yeah DP is weird. When i had my old U2711 the screen would keep going on and off sleep very often. Almost like it was trying to maintain connection.

Mine does the same thing. It's pretty random though.

Edit: I updated my drivers recently and the problems' gone away!

Edit2: I take it back, it still happens :p

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing. It's pretty random though.

Edit: I updated my drivers recently and the problems' gone away!

Edit2: I take it back, it still happens :p

I have tried different drivers. It could be drivers still. Using AMD card.

Sometimes it does not happens sometimes it does it 4 times before it stops. I dont dont have a problem with it just dont want to find down the road that its a monitor problem.

I have tried different drivers. It could be drivers still. Using AMD card.

Sometimes it does not happens sometimes it does it 4 times before it stops. I dont dont have a problem with it just dont want to find down the road that its a monitor problem.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. Especially when it happens multiple times in a row. It seems like a handshaking issue to me but who knows.... and I agree, as long as it's not a problem with the monitor itself I'm ok with it as annoying as it is.

Quick question for everyone here.

I'm currently rocking a GTX670...will I be able to get 4k/60hz over Displayport to drive this monitor? From what I have read between this thread and the monster Samsung thread, it sounds like I will. I don't game, but do a lot of PS and CAD and would love the extra real estate. I am not opposed to changing graphics cards, but right now a GTX 950 seems like a foolish move.

I am currently running an ACD27 which I love...Does anyone have any experience jumping from the ACD to the Philips?

Thanks in advance.

Quick question for everyone here.

I'm currently rocking a GTX670...will I be able to get 4k/60hz over Displayport to drive this monitor? From what I have read between this thread and the monster Samsung thread, it sounds like I will. I don't game, but do a lot of PS and CAD and would love the extra real estate. I am not opposed to changing graphics cards, but right now a GTX 950 seems like a foolish move.

I am currently running an ACD27 which I love...Does anyone have any experience jumping from the ACD to the Philips?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 660 and can do 4k@60hz. Can't game with that res though.

mine just took a shit

had it for 2 months, used it maybe 50 hours.

could see backlight on but no image, then will not turn on.

!
looks like sept 14 build date (on box)

Back