Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I feel the input lag on the Desktop a little bit if it's around 40ms and Game mode has also only 4:2:2 chroma.
There is no point in not buying the Philips BDM4065UC over a 2015 Samsung TV if you don't need more then 40".

Last edited:
Yep I reckon 40" is already huge so I don't want to go any bigger for a computer monitor.

I feel the input lag on the Desktop a little bit if it's around 40ms and Game mode has also only 4:2:2 chroma.
There is no point in not buying the Philips BDM4065UC over a 2015 Samsung TV if you don't need more then 40".

And I dont understand why you recommend that terrible Phillips monitor.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041377665&postcount=1354
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041377260&postcount=1347
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1844919

ok thanks for the info. How do 1080P content look like on this philips 4k monitor?
ie 1080P blu ray movies etc

No issues. I use mine with a PS3 for like GT6 and the occasional Blu ray and it is all good. Not as good as 4K, but really since 1080p is simply 2x2 pixels it is a easy one and I would expect all 4K monitors can do it only they don' all have the contrast as the Philips.

You gotta ask yourself whether a problem like that color bleed is actually going to be a serious issue. It manifests with solid white windows against some solid grey backgrounds, but is that a normal use case for you? Sure it's a problem with the panel, but no matter what panel you choose you'll be making a compromise somewhere.

There's a lot of nitpicking happening on these forums where people like to point out some obscure test patterns or other scenarios causing issues, but I'd be much more concerned about issues during normal use cases. Frankly my opinion is there's a ton of things people read in reviews from TFTCentral or other sites which have very little impact to the overall experience of using a monitor for gaming or desktop use, and are mostly meaningful for printing purposes.

I've been using this monitor since last January and I'm happier with it than any other panel so far, and I've tried dozens. The size, resolution and deep blacks outweigh any other limitations for my use. The biggest actual issues with this panel in actual every day use are in my opinion the poor B2W transition that smears when moving b&w stuff like browser windows, and the low chromacity/saturation that gives a desaturated look by default and can't be changed through the OSD. Add to that the gamma shift and the result is a panel that's really not good for print work, but anyone really concerned about that should be looking at monitors aimed for that particular use. For anyone wanting a good media experience I'd say it's one of the best monitors out there. For twitch gamers I'd recommend something smaller and faster, but for the rest the superior 5000:1 contrast is probably far more meaningful.

Stop trolling and go away.

How's that trolling if even Samsung UHD tv dont have these bugs? I just help people not making mistake buying that Phillips monitor. You can read Samsung 4k thread there are people who have used Phillips screen and then tried Samsung TV and they love it much more than Phillips.

Using a 4:2:2 croma or 40ms input lag TV as a Monitor that's what i call a mistake.
There are also a lot of complaints in the Samsung UHD topic, there is simply no perfect LCD (LCD = Crap) you have to use the one which is the less annoying one in normal use.

Please get your fact straight before you come to insult Samsung. Most Samsung UHD 2015 models do 4:2:2 under 30ms and 4:4:4 is about 40ms and some even lower like JU7500 have 4:4:4 36ms and 4:2:2 21ms and for gaming 21ms is good and you don't need 4:4:4 for games.

How's that trolling if even Samsung UHD tv dont have these bugs? I just help people not making mistake buying that Phillips monitor. You can read Samsung 4k thread there are people who have used Phillips screen and then tried Samsung TV and they love it much more than Phillips.

Sorry, but really you seem very biased in your reporting. If the Philips is "terrible" then how come I has gotten loads of nice reviews on all sort of tech site from gaming oriented one to the very serious sites that specializes in monitors?

I'm sure the Samsung is very nice, but so is the Philips. If you want to be seen as not trolling then really you should pass on information in a more neutral way, not do it like you were cheering for a football team and dissing another.

PS. Why would you not want 4:4:4? Also is it not inconvenient having to switch modes between gaming and doing other things?

OK i made pos and neg table

Samsung
+ Better panel than Phillips
+ 2in1 TV and PC monitor
+ Curved option
+ Better QC than Phillips
+ More size options
- PWM
- no displayport
- input lag

Phillips
+ Displayport
+ Less input lag
- Bad panel quality
- PWM

PS. Why would you not want 4:4:4? Also is it not inconvenient having to switch modes between gaming and doing other things?

I want 4:4:4 and all samsung uhd 2015 models can do that @ 60hz but in games you dont need that because there is no difference 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 you need that only if you use it desktop use like surfing internet and reading text with different color backround.

So you don't read chat text in online games? And how whats to switch a Display mode 1-6 times a day only beacese a device does not support what it should support. That's why plasma TV also failed to be a Monitor replacement even with low input lag.

Last edited:
I use regular monitor I dont own 40'' Phillips or Samsung uhd 2015 TV, so I dont change modes. I wait 2016 UHD TV-s with lower input lag and PWM free and curved.

So you don't read chat text in online games? And how whats to switch a Display mode 1-6 times a day only beacese a device does not support what it should support. That's why plasma TV also failed to be a Monitor replacement even with low input lag.

To be fair, I feel that I should chime in here. First of all, the reduced chroma doesn't affect all text...just some colors (most noticeably red). Yes, red text is fuzzier at 4:2:2. So I would ask - do you play a lot of games with red text and/or chat logs? Most don't, but if you do...

There's always PC mode which provides 4:4:4, razor sharp text in every color, and perfectly acceptable input lag. This is the mode that's probably best for most people.

People who game competitively have the option of switching to Game mode for reduced input lag. On the other end of the spectrum, people (like me) who don't play twitch games can use Game mode with Auto Motion Plus frame interpolation for a simulated 120hz effect. This comes at the expense of lag due to the additional processing, but it hasn't rekt my games and the smooth motion clarity and blur reduction that it provides is gorgeous and the best I've seen outside of a native 120/144hz gaming monitor.

I tend to stick with one mode for a while and so I'm not bothered by constantly switching modes. Even then, the remote is a great feature and makes it fairly painless.

Personally, I feel that the flexibility that the Samsung UHD TVs provide is a plus because you're not stuck with one mode out of the box that tries to be the best at everything. People who want to "set it and forget it" can stick to PC mode and be happy. For the rest of us who occasionally feel the need for reduced input lag or smoother motion, well, it can do that too.

I'm with BlindZenDriver. Both displays are nice, and way better than what most people are using. I prefer the Samsung based on the plethora of info in both threads, but if they ceased to exist today I'd buy the Philips (or, potentially, the Crossover or Wasabi Mango) in a heartbeat before going back to one of those narrow, niche-resolution 34" ultrawide displays. 4K is where it's at in my book, and 40"+ is the only way I'd want to experience it.

In fairness to aadik, there have been several people who owned the Philips and then the Samsung, and preferred the Samsung for various reasons. If the opposite happened, I haven't seen it. Not saying that it isn't possible. Again, with the Philips, there is one model and it's either right or wrong with you. The Samsung offers the advantages of:

40" or 48" (or larger; personally 48" is the max I'd ever go at my current distance)
Flat or curved (I definitely prefer curved and Philips doesn't offer that)
A killer 4K TV for dual use now, or when you eventually move on to another PC display
No smearing or color distortion that has been described on the Philips
Subjectively better color and motion clarity based on those who have used both
The Philips may offer deeper blacks and slightly lower input lag based on what I've read, but again, these things are fine on both displays as largely, no one has complained.

Lack of DP 1.2 connectivity is an obvious dealbreaker if you don't have a recent nVidia GPU and aren't willing to upgrade, but no 4K gamer should be using anything less than a 980/980Ti equivalent and I prefer nVidia over AMD anyway. AMD users got screwed when 390x/Fury didn't come with HDMI 2.0 outputs.

I completely agree with you, Outbreaker...there IS no perfect monitor and you have to use the one that comes with the least amount of compromises. For me, the Samsung ticks more boxes but I am not saying that it's the best for everyone. There are a lot of guys out there right now gaming on 27" 144Hz displays thinking "Screw you, 4K! 60hz? NEVER!" I value the large immersive experience more than the small blistering fast one...it doesn't make either of us wrong. :)

Here is a great review of the JS9000 (European version but features are the same).

Which monitors have 24P support?

Samsung JU7xxx series and JS8500/JS9000.

Last edited:
I know this is primarilly a US based site, but to give you an explanation of why the phillips is REALLY popular in Australia: The Samsung JU7000 series starts at $2500 AU and the Phillips is $1000 AU.

So yeah, The idea of a 4K medium-big screen for under $1000 in Australia is like, Slap-a-fool crazy.

In EU here cheapest prices Phillips 658€, Samsung 40JU65xx curved(US model name JU6700) 710€ and 40JU64xx 579€. Sadly no JU7xxx models in my country smaller than 55''

I am from Australia and now you can see why I want the philips instead of the Samsung....
And even $1000 is stretching it for me for a monitor :p

1000AUD is 638€ so almost same price like here in EU. Seems cheap for working AU people because its about 1 week salary in AU.

I am from Australia and now you can see why I want the philips instead of the Samsung....
And even $1000 is stretching it for me for a monitor :p

I risked it and bought a Crossover 404K instead, saved ~$150. Lets see if I shot myself in the foot or got a good deal.

404K is little bit better too than Phillips because its PWM free and support now freesync too? In EU its useless to buy these Korean cheap screens because you pay about 30-35% tax on full price

I am thinking about the 404K as well but I don't think PWM will bother me as I have a Dell IPS now U2412M 24" and apparently this is a PWM screen but I don't notice any flicker when brightness is not set at 100%....

I am thinking about the 404K as well but I don't think PWM will bother me as I have a Dell IPS now U2412M 24" and apparently this is a PWM screen but I don't notice any flicker when brightness is not set at 100%....

I have never really encountered any issues with PWM flicker until I used a 24" Acer monitor at work, anything below 100% brightness and my head just felt terrible. I knew it was the PWM so I turned it up to 100 and no issues. Thats me, though. Some people have no issues. I'm also REALLY sensitive to high-hertz refresh rates. I surprised some people when I was able to tell the difference between 100FPS and 120FPS on a 144hz screen, without anyone telling me something was up. So, perhaps I am gifted/cursed with eyes really sensitive to motion and changes over short periods of time, who knows?

Is the text sharpness on this monitor the same as IPS?

I run mine next to a 27" 1440p which has a IPS panel and I would say the Philips is even a bit sharper - it's likely due to the better contrast that it offers. Reading even small text is a joy.

I have not compared the Philips to a 40" 4K IPS panel, but the PPI on a 27" 1440p and the 40" 4K is the same within a couple of percentage points so I think the comparison should be valid (also I don't know if there are any 40" 4K IPS panels to be found at all).

I have not compared the Philips to a 40" 4K IPS panel, but the PPI on a 27" 1440p and the 40" 4K is the same within a couple of percentage points so I think the comparison should be valid (also I don't know if there are any 40" 4K IPS panels to be found at all).

The Wasabi Mango UHD420 is the only 40"+ IPS monitor (non TV) that I know of. On the TV side of things, the Samsung JS7000 uses an IPS panel while the rest of the lineup use VAs.

I run mine next to a 27" 1440p which has a IPS panel and I would say the Philips is even a bit sharper - it's likely due to the better contrast that it offers. Reading even small text is a joy.

Thanks for the info. I have a Dell U2412M 24" 1200P monitor , will the text be a lot smaller on the 40" 4K Philips?

Is the text sharpness on this monitor the same as IPS?
Well, it depends on many factors...at first, you have to understand, that it is more and actually from the biggest part the thing of coating, the Philips has the glossy finish, not the mirror-like one, but with some great transparent anti-glare filter - same as the retina displays (iMacs especially, then Macbooks with retina display and the iPad Air 2) have

So...most of the today's monitors on the market have Matte finish (sometimes with hard AG coating, which creates visible "noise-grain" distractive effect, so it is hard to say, that which monitor with an IPS panel you mean, which makes this "theoretical" comparison that harder.

But..generally the Philips has whole image sharper, than any monitor with the semi-gloss or matte finish..no, Philips 4065UC and Crossover 404k too have not semi-gloss coating as you can find this kind of misleading information especially in the topics on the internet regarding the crossover 44k/404k..

Thanks for the info. I have a Dell U2412M 24" 1200P monitor , will the text be a lot smaller on the 40" 4K Philips?

A 24" 1200P monitor has a PPI of 94.34 and by comparison the Philips has a PPI of 11.54 so text will be smaller, but not a lot and as I understand most people think it is fine and does not have make use of the text scaling.

A 27" 1440p has a 108.79 PPI so if you get a chance to look on one of those it will give you a pretty good idea.

Thanks. Yeah I actually think 1200P on a 24" looks big the text so I think I should be fine.

I just ordered this monitor. Should come this week. Are there any ghosting when moving the mouse ?

Back