Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I love this monitor except for one thing - it is constantly switching from DisplayPort (which I am currently using) to HDMI (which I am not). Basically any slight change in my PC's display amounts to a good excuse for this monitor to switch such as booting, rebooting, sleep mode, etc. and it is driving me crazy having to constantly reach underneath for that little joystick to switch it back.

Is anyone else having this problem and - Lord have mercy - does ANYONE know how to possibly set it to always default to DisplayPort?

I haven't had to change any of my settings since the day I plugged it in, and this is after numerous reboots and even fully disconnecting the DP cable.

I love this monitor except for one thing - it is constantly switching from DisplayPort (which I am currently using) to HDMI (which I am not). Basically any slight change in my PC's display amounts to a good excuse for this monitor to switch such as booting, rebooting, sleep mode, etc. and it is driving me crazy having to constantly reach underneath for that little joystick to switch it back.

Is anyone else having this problem and - Lord have mercy - does ANYONE know how to possibly set it to always default to DisplayPort?
That is an annoying issue for sure.

My guess is your graphics card is switching of the DP port and takes too long to switch in on again when you make changes, which then causes the monitor to look for a different input. Why the monitor insists on switching to HDMI is certainly not a normal thing regardless of what your graphics is doing - if mine only switches if I turn off the PC using the DP connection AND my PS3 is turned on so there is a genuine reason for the monitor to go HDMI.

You're saying you're not using the HDMI, but could it be that you have something connected to HDMI that while off is maybe still sending enough through the HDMI to fool the monitor? If so try disconnecting that to see if that changes things.

Also it may be there is perhaps a firmware upgrade for your graphics card that makes it work better with DP ie. keeping the connection alive when you switch settings. That or maybe there is some settings you can try - maybe check the forum/support site for your graphics card.

That is an annoying issue for sure.

You're saying you're not using the HDMI, but could it be that you have something connected to HDMI that while off is maybe still sending enough through the HDMI to fool the monitor? If so try disconnecting that to see if that changes things.

Thanks for the suggestions. My Xbox is connected by HDMI but it is currently off - maybe there is something going on that makes my monitor think it's receiving a live signal. I'll experiment a bit and see if I can improve the situation.

In the service menu you can disable input auto-switching. You hold right (or left, if you're looking at the back of the monitor) while turning it on. It's been a while since I've had to do it, so my apologies if backwards...

Hello, I purchased this monitor about a week ago and I am loving it but unsure about one thing. Do other people who have this monitor when viewed at a angle with a pure white background show black discolorations similar to the below picture? Or is this defective and should go back? Thanks.

aauSnYT.jpgnYT.jpg

top view:
b6okGkx.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I purchased this monitor about a week ago and I am loving it but unsure about one thing. Do other people who have this monitor when viewed at a angle with a pure white background show black discolorations similar to the below picture? Or is this defective and should go back? Thanks.

aauSnYT.jpgnYT.jpg

top view:
b6okGkx.jpg

OMG ! OMG !
Almost got an hearth attack.

Are you talking about the "waves" on your screen ?
That doesn't look right !

If you are talking about the purplish tint when viewed off angle it is common for these kind of panels.

Do people really sit that close to a 40" screen!!!

Of course people do.

It is a 4K screen and with the 40" that makes for pixels the same size of those on a 27" 1440p monitor, so sitting at normal monitor distance is perfectly fine - in fact it is better than fine as you get the same as when having multiple monitors only without the bezels getting in the way.

Has anyone here used the Philips and the CO's 44k/404. side by side. Just wondering if they have the same or similar IQ since they both use the same panel rite?

Of course people do.

It is a 4K screen and with the 40" that makes for pixels the same size of those on a 27" 1440p monitor, so sitting at normal monitor distance is perfectly fine - in fact it is better than fine as you get the same as when having multiple monitors only without the bezels getting in the way.

then again you have 27" 1440p PPI not a typical expected 4k PPI... for that 'crispness' surely you want max 32"(31.5) @ 4k ? Also your paying for the extra GPU power needed just to move your head around more of a 1440p equivalent screen where you sit closer to a 27" but still have it all in frame.
Not saying its not perfect .. its "nearly" perfect just a few inches too big a bit to much for most people. Imo 34" - 36" would be the absolute best in between pushed 75cm - 1m away. Sadly unlike 36" 1080p HDTV's they will probably never make models at that size in 4k :(

I mean .. for prolonged use most people would need to be another 50cm away from that be acceptable really, each to their own i suppose. The only caveat would be if someone just ran games at 21:9 on that, then it wouldn't be too tall. Unless you have unfeasibly long arms ( then again you want your wrists resting on the actual desk not floating )

aauSnYT.jpgnYT.jpg

from what i have seen most people have the screen pushed further back

Last edited:
then again you have 27" 1440p PPI not a typical expected 4k PPI... for that 'crispness' surely you want max 32"(31.5) @ 4k ? Also your paying for the extra GPU power needed just to move your head around more of a 1440p equivalent screen where you sit closer to a 27" but still have it all in frame.
Not saying its not perfect .. its "nearly" perfect just a few inches too big a bit to much for most people. Imo 34" - 36" would be the absolute best in between pushed 75cm - 1m away. Sadly unlike 36" 1080p HDTV's they will probably never make models at that size in 4k :(

Couple of things here... Clearly you're not aware of the number of people on this forum (and others) who have purchased 40"+ 4K monitors. I'm not saying that we're in the majority by any means, but there is a high number of us between the Philips and the Seiki and the Samsungs. I currently use the 48" Samsung JS9000 (as do several others, OMG I bet you're really freaking out right now! ;)) and personally speaking, I don't think I could ever go smaller than 40" again. The immersion when gaming is just too awesome, and I'm MORE than willing to trade a bit of sharpness of text for that immersion and easier readability without scaling.

Not everyone buys 4K for the "crispness" compared to a 27" 1440p...that IS one nice benefit, but the primary reason for most is the huge amount of extra desktop real estate for programs.

C The immersion when gaming is just too awesome.

This EXACTLY!

I use to have an expensive IPS LG 4K screen that was 32" but swapped for the cheaper Philips screen koz when I first fired up Far Cry 4 on it, my jaw almost dropped from the sudden increase in immersion going from 32" to 40"

Now thr only thing missing in today's market is 40"+ monitors with g-gsync or higher refresh rates @ 4k.

This EXACTLY!

I use to have an expensive IPS LG 4K screen that was 32" but swapped for the cheaper Philips screen koz when I first fired up Far Cry 4 on it, my jaw almost dropped from the sudden increase in immersion going from 32" to 40"

Now thr only thing missing in today's market is 40"+ monitors with g-gsync or higher refresh rates @ 4k.

Yep. :cool: Bring it on!

I use both the Seiki 39 and the 50 specifically for programming/DB Mgmt, but the immersion factor in Skyrim/FO series is pretty frakking awesome, tbh.

I don't think I'll go back to anything under 40" (well...30 in the Seiki's case) ever again. And FO4 cannot be released soon enough.

This EXACTLY!

stop temping me I had my heart set on the 32" 4k Benq :(

Couple of things here... Clearly you're not aware of the number of people on this forum (and others) who have purchased 40"+ 4K monitors. I'm not saying that we're in the majority by any means, but there is a high number of us between the Philips and the Seiki and the Samsungs.

its true, i have no metric for this. Is it common for Hardforum users to have wobbly long jelly arms or do you all have deep desks ?

I currently use the 48" Samsung JS9000 (as do several others, OMG I bet you're really freaking out right now! ;)) and personally speaking, I don't think I could ever go smaller than 40" again. The immersion when gaming is just too awesome, and I'm MORE than willing to trade a bit of sharpness of text for that immersion and easier readability without scaling.

Not everyone buys 4K for the "crispness" compared to a 27" 1440p...that IS one nice benefit, but the primary reason for most is the huge amount of extra desktop real estate for programs.

I dunno, I mean i have a near 100" projection image and yes its awesome but i sit far enough back to take in the whole frame. I suppose, it also depends on desk depth.

the price of the philips vs the benq i am looking at is nearly identical ... decisions. sometimes im just less than 50cm away from my screen so with a 40" i would have to lean back.

Also, after owning some really bad philips TV's in the past i said i would never buy one of their products again. Is there another 40" equivalent ?

Last edited:
its true, i have no metric for this. Is it common for Hardforum users to have wobbly long jelly arms or do you all have deep desks ?

Haha. I have an Ikea Galant corner desk and typically sit around 2.5 ft. from the screen.

The largest display that I had ever used previously was the good old Westinghouse 37" that was all the rage here several years ago. But it was 1080p, so the pixels were admittedly large at that size, but at that time I'm not even sure if 2560x1440 existed so it was just what was available. It ruled for gaming, though.

I dunno, I mean i have a near 100" projection image and yes its awesome but i sit far enough back to take in the whole frame. I suppose, it also depends on desk depth.

the price of the philips vs the benq i am looking at is nearly identical ... decisions. sometimes im just less than 50cm away from my screen so with a 40" i would have to lean back.

I initially started looking at the 40" Philips, but a few reported issues and the fact that Philips was slow getting it to the US caused me to look at the Samsung 4K TVs. When I compared them in the store, I thought no way, 48" is just overwhelmingly massive so I started with the 40" and it was a GREAT size for typical PC distances. I eventually moved up to the 48", and although it provides a near IMAX-like gaming experience, it is a bit tall so I'm currently exploring options to bring it down a little closer to the desk. The 40" should be doable for just about anyone.

Also, after owning some really bad philips TV's in the past i said i would never buy one of their products again. Is there another 40" equivalent ?

There's the Seiki SM40UNP, the Crossover 44K and 404K (newer version of the 44K), the Wasabi Mango UHD420, etc. There are threads for most of these on this forum if you'd like to look further into them.

The BenQ 32" looks like a great monitor, but I think the 40" are much better values, provide larger, more readable text, and provide increased immersion when gaming. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Haha. I have an Ikea Galant corner desk and typically sit around 2.5 ft. from the screen.

The largest display that I had ever used previously was the good old Westinghouse 37" that was all the rage here several years ago. But it was 1080p, so the pixels were admittedly large at that size, but at that time I'm not even sure if 2560x1440 existed so it was just what was available. It ruled for gaming, though.

I initially started looking at the 40" Philips, but a few reported issues and the fact that Philips was slow getting it to the US caused me to look at the Samsung 4K TVs. When I compared them in the store, I thought no way, 48" is just overwhelmingly massive so I started with the 40" and it was a GREAT size for typical PC distances. I eventually moved up to the 48", and although it provides a near IMAX-like gaming experience, it is a bit tall so I'm currently exploring options to bring it down a little closer to the desk. The 40" should be doable for just about anyone.

There's the Seiki SM40UNP, the Crossover 44K and 404K (newer version of the 44K), the Wasabi Mango UHD420, etc. There are threads for most of these on this forum if you'd like to look further into them.

The BenQ 32" looks like a great monitor, but I think the 40" are much better values, provide larger, more readable text, and provide increased immersion when gaming. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

glad to know your arms are regular lengh ( or thats what you say .. :eek: )

How is the overall overshoot/input lag thingy on the philips / samsung TV's ? One of the things i read about the benq is that it has no real weak spots ( for a 60hz lcd of course )

Gaa.. choosing a monitor is so hard! the thing is my gaming perferences are changing, i think im going to move away from a desk and more onto a stool/bar chair + larger screen and have a small mech keyboard on an arm. the mouse thing will be replaced by the Steam Controller so yea .. perhaps larger is better.

( i could just get both and a divorce :) )

stop temping me I had my heart set on the 32" 4k Benq :(

Lol I don't wanna tempt you anymore, but seriously the difference in immersion is huge between 32" and 40".

I loved my LG 4K monitor to death because it had incredible picture quality, but when I was gaming, the 4K res felt really small to me at only 32".

So I thought to myself ill give a larger monitor a try hence ended up with the Philips and was immediatly blown away at how much better gaming is at this size in 4K.

Lol I don't wanna tempt you anymore, but seriously the difference in immersion is huge between 32" and 40".

I loved my LG 4K monitor to death because it had incredible picture quality, but when I was gaming, the 4K res felt really small to me at only 32".

So I thought to myself ill give a larger monitor a try hence ended up with the Philips and was immediatly blown away at how much better gaming is at this size in 4K.

Reading around forums on here and other places + watching youtube videos from various popular tech channels it seems people are using ever increasing monitor sizes -> TV ( interestingly fits in with valves idea of big screen PC gaming and smaller form factor PC's.. they must have a portal to the future )

Given the 40" are about the same price as the 32" i wouldnt be too surprised to see more sales on the larger screens probably prompting BenQ, Asus or Acer to bring out a gaming version.

The question is who will do it first :cool:

Can't wait, that's why I got the Philips :p

I predict one 'challenge' coming in the future :D

The last times I have upgraded monitor the previous one has always become my #2 monitor and that has worked well, like here is the shifts I made.

- 17" became the #2 when I acquired a 21".
- 21" became the #2 when I acquired a 24"(This was also the first TFT).
- 24" became the #2 when I acquired a 27".
And with the Philips of course my 27" is now the #2.

The thing is having a 40" and a 27" on my desk works well and at one time I have even gone so far as to have the 24" hooked up as well, special circumstances, however when the times comes to upgrade again then I shall need a bigger desk to fit a 40" as the #2 monitor - especially how is to say how big the next #1 will be. Usually there is a few years between each monitor upgrade for me, but it could be that once a high refresh rate Freesync 40" comes out I may have to make that move.

Last edited:

aauSnYT.jpgnYT.jpg

top view:
b6okGkx.jpg

I just wanted to follow up that I sent this monitor back for replacement to Amazon and they shipped out a new one to me within a few days! The new monitor has none of the issues the old one had with the black discolorations or waves. :)

Seen many people on the fence about 4k vs 21:9 and choices, went to go see them in the flesh and figure it out for myself. (And find an 8tb drive :))
Saw these screens side by side, along with a predator and a few other smaller panels. Similar prices for the two big guns, so why not compare them!

LG 34UC97 21:9 looked really nice. Not too much AR coating, clear, no immediate graininess like my U2711. Very crisp presentation, everything looked very clear and immediately visible. Colours as good if not better than u2711 on initial impressions.

Curve is less than you think. To be honest it's not as 'wow' as I expected, but I guess some benefits from the curve. That said, the screen was apparently same height as the U2711, but the width makes it look smaller. It's unnatural after a life of of 4:3, then 16:9 monitors.
If you had a smaller desk or wanted a less imposing screen, or really wanted 21:9, it's perfect. Would choose this screen over any other 1600/1440p 30" and under.
I look forward to the future of 21:9 ~40"+ 5K and the Dp 1.3 hardware to drive it.

Phillips 4065UC 4K VA

Displayport 1.2. Thank goodness. Why more manufacturers are not using this, is a little strange.
Initial impressions. Wow. Vision filled. This is what I was looking for! Really intense watching 4k, you have to look around as there is detail everywhere. PPI noticeably higher than 27" 1440p. But not so much that text is impossible to see or stuff is too small, just polishes off a PPI which already is great on a 1440p. Text looks smooth, didn't notice pixels but didn't really try to see them, where as on a 1440 I can see them enough to notice but they are also still small enough to be not intrusive. The 4K screen practically removes that, so it's not even an option to think about in the first place.. if that makes sense.
Window resizing is crazy big after being used to 1440. It's like using windows looking down a well or something. Massive feeling screen and OS.

30 and 60fps content looks really good. Didn't notice any pwm flicker or major artifacting. But it was compressed. Response was acceptable. Would've loved to have tried a FPS game though, perhaps next week.

Colour was better than expected. Only noticed a lighter shade of green looking a little washed out, I'm hoping it's calibration, not due to the LEDs utilised and their spectrum, other than that everything was pretty good. Not too much noticeable banding, 8bit content and display so that is to be expected. Didn't see or test for deep reds so will do that next time. Have had some panels drop the ball on that before with cool white leds.

My choice (before trying any games) would be the Phillips by far, I didn't even give LG time of day really, still choose Phillips out of the two, even with its downfalls. It grabbed me in a way the LG didn't. LG was just 'there' - it was a monitor. It was much wide, such pretty, but the Phillips was an experience. Plus - a little cheaper and far far more bang for the buck. Whole new experience for me, guess it's a bit like having a 4k cinema projector for your PC. And just you. No one in front..
So that settles it.. 40" or more. But that bump in pixel density has me angling for the 40" flat, quite happy about that.. cheaper and more options.

Now to wait to see what Asus delivers soon. I'm excited, like a school kid, to try games on whatever I end up with! Abes Oddysee/New N Tasty will look amazing, it's coded for 4k too. And bring on No Mans Sky.. and all the other visual feasts out there.

Anywho, time for another beer, enjoy [H]

P.s. if anyone is interested, have access to some new 5 and 3 axis CNC machines, aluminium stock, plus an anodisation plant, for the next 5 months. The business in question, has been interested in and could be persuaded further to begin building high end, custom full CNC cases, as well as the ones they build for their usual niche devices, if the market is there. They are leaders, particularly in build quality for their market, plus have built some ultra SFF programming PCs for in house use already.

First design will be personal, a dedicated dual fury X build, with no smaller than 180mm sleeve bearing fans, to be a true near-silent, yet cool running active design. A full passive design is the holy grail but that is a long time away.

Good grief ... :mad:

Ordered another one of these monitors from mainland Europe(I'm in the UK), set it up and yet again there is a manufacturing defect at the top of the screen allowing the backlight through - similar to last time. Also, to add to the fun, the LCD has a small black rectangle permanently displayed on the screen.

This must be the worst quality control I've ever seen for an expensive piece of electronic equipment - Philips are employing blind people to check their monitors! The only upside is that Philips support say they will exchange it for a new model as the faults were reported within 14 days. :rolleyes:

I'm probably going to regret saying this but I have just received a new replacement monitor from Philips in the Netherlands and it appears to not have any obvious faults(will check all the inputs later). This is my third Philips BDM4065UC and the first one that's OK(?).

Only surprise was that Philips picked up my faulty monitor last week and didn't tell me they'd sent out a new unit - so this monitor arrived this morning completely out of the blue.

Iiyama is releasing a new screen with the same panel : the ProLite LE4041UHS.

http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/prolite-le4041uhs-b1/

I say "screen" and not "monitor" as this is intended as signage display. It does not come with a stand.

Still, it might be interesting to know if it has the same shortcomings as the Philips (PWM, ghosting, ...)

Edit : Iiyama just told me that this screen is not flicker-free... :(

Last edited:
I've never been hugely interested in the Korean variants, but from what I've read I do think that the Crossover 404K is worth looking into as an alternative to the Philips.

When I boot my Windows 8.1 machine any open windows at the previous shutdown appear clustered in the top left corner of my Philips monitor. How do I get the windows to open at the same position they occupied at shutdown?

I really would love to buy this screen but I simply can't run my games at 4k with 2 GTX 780s, has any one tried gaming at 1080p on this things? And if so can you give me some feedback to how it feels?

Thanks in advance

Gaming at 1080p is fine but looks about how you might expect on a 40" display - not great, as that's not a very high resolution for such a large display space. If you have a graphics card that allows you to 1:1 pixel-map the games so they run in a small box - 20" or so for 1080p and 27" or so for 1440p in the middle of the screen, then that may be preferable. I had a lot of trouble getting my GTX970 to do that, however.

Gaming at 1080p is fine but looks about how you might expect on a 40" display - not great, as that's not a very high resolution for such a large display space. If you have a graphics card that allows you to 1:1 pixel-map the games so they run in a small box - 20" or so for 1080p and 27" or so for 1440p in the middle of the screen, then that may be preferable. I had a lot of trouble getting my GTX970 to do that, however.

Hi and thanks for your feedback, to be honest I really don't know what to expect from 1080p gaming on a 4k screen, if any one is willing to take some screen shots of games running at 1080p on this thing I would really appreciate it. :)

It's very difficult to capture something like that in a screenshot, firstly because the definition of the picture itself interferes with how the image looks and secondly because the image isn't moving. Best way I can describe it is to do the same thing on your current monitor - find half its resolution and try running a game at that resolution. 960x540 for a 1080p screen, for example.

Which isn't really the same thing either, but yeah don't buy a 4k monitor if you're going to be playing at 1080p (assuming gaming is a significant use of the monitor), with two 780 there is no reason to play at 1080p, from my experience it's far preferable to use another resolution and have black bars instead, since even something like the usual ultra wide resolution is far less demanding than the 4k.

I was going to make the same point but to be honest, there's plenty of purpose in having a 4K monitor for the desktop and not gaming at full resolution - I get far more use out of mine in the desktop than I do having games look good at 3840x2160. As for optimising the games, I'd suggest trying upscaled 2560x1440 - when I've tried it, it still looks 'enough better' than 1920x1080 to be worth the step up if you can run that. If you can't even run 2560x1440 then perhaps it may be worth sacrificing a few settings. Two 780s shouldn't have that much trouble running games unless they're very badly optimised, which is a situation all of us have to put up with regardless.

I just noticed this is now readily available on newegg, and bestbuy, and actually in stock at amazon. How long has this been the case that its readily available in the US?

Hi and thanks for your feedback, to be honest I really don't know what to expect from 1080p gaming on a 4k screen, if any one is willing to take some screen shots of games running at 1080p on this thing I would really appreciate it. :)

I do my PC gaming in the full 4K, but I also have a PS3 hooked up to the monitor and with that gaming is of course 1080p, so I think I am qualified to report on the subject and 1080p gaming is just fine - it is of course not as crisp as 4K but that is a given.

Depending on the games at hand you may be able to run them in a wide screen resolution ie. 21:9 format, that is something which works well with the monitor since the black is pretty dark. The idea here is of course that going the 21:9 will mean less pixels than 4K while still letting you have the full crispness of the 3840 pixels across.

<SNIP>

Still, it might be interesting to know if it has the same shortcomings as the Philips (PWM, ghosting, ...)

I gotta say that what you call "shortcomings" are at most minor stuff to me.

The PWM is a non-issue for me and I can't recall anyone here reporting issues with it either, the ghosting is only seen in specific circumstances which I would think many never run into and so on...

I may have to end up getting one of these for work. This, or the Crossover 404k, but I'm kinda hung up there. The Crossover is supposedly flicker free, but I feel a lot better about Philips in terms of warranty and service.

Back