Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Alright, I went ahead and set it up. Working fine over DP 1.2 at 60Hz.

Input lag - exists, I cannot quantify how much but it is definitely there. I would very roughly estimate it to be between monitor and TV lag.

Bleed - totally black screen looks ok.

I should say that I have no scientific way to test the above but otherwise I like it! Bezels are slim and unobtrusive, control and power button is around the back but easily reachable (and tactile!)

Overall I would say an upgrade over the 39" Seiki I had previously.

One more thing - the mount is not height adjustable so you either need to have a low desk or a higher chair. Or a VESA mount.

Additional thoughts - the monitor has a couple of additional features among them SmartImage (Game, Movie, Photo, etc) and SmartResponse (Fast, Faster, Fastest) - I seem to like it better with them off!

Awesome!

Thanks a lot.

Are you experiencing any screen stretching due to the rumored non-square pixels?
Are the whites neutral, warm or cool?

Additional thoughts - the monitor has a couple of additional features among them SmartImage (Game, Movie, Photo, etc) and SmartResponse (Fast, Faster, Fastest) - I seem to like it better with them off!

Thanks much for these impressions, do you notice a difference in input lag with any of these enabled?

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us! Is there any way that you could test whether it is SST or MST? What CPU and graphics card are you using to drive the display at 60Hz? Much appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback!

- Could you draw a perfect large square on the screen (in photoshop or illustrator) and then measure the width & height with a ruler?
Or just load this: a square
Very curious if the pixels are square.

- Have you tried it with DisplayPort?

- Do you have a Mac?

Thanks!

- Could you draw a perfect large square on the screen (in photoshop or illustrator) and then measure the width & height with a ruler?

- Do you have a Mac?

Thanks!

sounds like he used a display port already ... ya I wonder how you measure input lag ... any easy way to do this?

Interesting it has an August manufacture date. I've seen several new monitors this year that have made it onto consumer desks the same month, this is a 5 month lagtime.
Manufacturing defects and they had to reopen them?
Firmware updates?
Marketing strategy gone wrong (they are missing holiday sales)?
Or just bad supply chain/management?

Also looks to have a strong scalar with all of those pip modes. To the guy that asked about console gaming, looks promising

I honestly think Phillips wasn't anticipating this kind of interest. They have just recently had some success with their Fidelio series of headphones in the US market, recent flops like the AMBX and lesser-quality TVs have given them some catching up to do.

Awesome!

Thanks a lot.

Are you experiencing any screen stretching due to the rumored non-square pixels?
Are the whites neutral, warm or cool?

To the naked eye, the effect is totally not obvious. It looks perfectly normal to me.
There is an option to adjust color temperature so you can adjust it the way you like it. I like my whites cool (almost with a blue tint) and I was able to adjust it to my satisfaction.

Thanks much for these impressions, do you notice a difference in input lag with any of these enabled?

No, although I should say I am not able to test input lag so there may have been a difference.

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us! Is there any way that you could test whether it is SST or MST? What CPU and graphics card are you using to drive the display at 60Hz? Much appreciated!

How does one determine MST / SST? I can test but I'm not quite sure how. I currently have a i5 2500k and a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X and its running over DP.

- Do you have a Mac?

Thanks!

I will try this later.

Works over DP, there is an option to use either DP 1.1 or 1.2.

Yes, I have a retina MBP but have not hooked it up yet.

Some more pictures from a Chinese purchaser: http://www.coolaler.com/showthread.php/321879-新品測試-飛利浦40吋4K-UHD電腦顯示器-BDM4065UC

He claims to have achieved 60 Hz 4K using his Retina Macbook Pro... I thought that Macbooks are not yet capable of 60Hz via SST? Is this an MST display after all, or is he running his display at 30 Hz without knowing it? I am confused...

Wait, wut? All monitors that is SST will work on any computer @ 60Hz SST if the GPU has DP 1.2. Some Macs does not work in MST mode because apple added a block and because hardware limitations, need Thunderbolt 2 for it to work in MST mode, I think.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19450796&postcount=13

Last edited:
Anywhere other than Taobao selling atm? How much did it cost you all up?

If this is available from somewhere reasonably reputable I may jump on one.

Wait, wut? All monitors that is SST will work on any computer @ 60Hz SST if the GPU has DP 1.2. Some Macs does not work in MST mode because apple added a block and because hardware limitations, need Thunderbolt 2 for it to work in MST mode, I think.

I managed to procure a miniDP to DP cable so I can try connecting to my rMBP. Will report back.

Anywhere other than Taobao selling atm? How much did it cost you all up?

If this is available from somewhere reasonably reputable I may jump on one.

It was available on eBay but the guy was asking ridiculous money. Also I think someone on here purchased it from an European site. Including shipping, taxes and agent fees my total cost came in at just under a grand.

Alright, I went ahead and set it up. Working fine over DP 1.2 at 60Hz. Input lag - exists, I cannot quantify how much but it is definitely there. I would very roughly estimate it to be between monitor and TV lag.

So you hardcore gamers beware, this monitor is not for you.

One more thing - the mount is not height adjustable so you either need to have a low desk or a higher chair. Or a VESA mount.

What is your viewing distance? Do you feel that the display is too high?

So you hardcore gamers beware, this monitor is not for you.

What is your viewing distance? Do you feel that the display is too high?

I think hardcore gamers were always going to get the ROG Swift anyways..

Two and a half feet or thereabouts. Hard to describe but I felt like I always always tilting my head very very slightly upwards, never had this problem with my previous Seiki monitor. Easily resolved by raising my chair up a little bit though, just meant that my chair can no longer easily slide under my desk.

oh meant to ask this - would you say this is a matte finish or a glossy or a mix?

...It was available on eBay but the guy was asking ridiculous money. Also I think someone on here purchased it from an European site. Including shipping, taxes and agent fees my total cost came in at just under a grand.

So... Where'd you get it? Because a grand doesn't sound to bad.

I think hardcore gamers were always going to get the ROG Swift anyways.. Two and a half feet or thereabouts. Hard to describe but I felt like I always always tilting my head very very slightly upwards, never had this problem with my previous Seiki monitor. Easily resolved by raising my chair up a little bit though, just meant that my chair can no longer easily slide under my desk.

How about buying VESA stand and lowering the display to touch the desktop? Usually the space between the desk and lower edge of the display is wasted with some clutter.

There is a store here which has the IPS version of this monitor for the same price as the VA :D

pK20UbW.png

Joke ofc, I will mail them and tell them about the error.

http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/bi...m-och-storre/philips-bdm4065uc00/212658.5474/

A release blurb was given today. Apparently it has an official 700€ MSRP. I just asked for a review sample. ;)

My apologies =)(=, I am not very familiar with how Macs handle 4K displays. I was going off the assumption that Macs are only able to run 4K 60Hz using MST, not SST, based on this Apple support page (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856) updated Nov 21, 2014. However, it seems like this support page simply has not been updated to reflect the introduction of 4K SST displays like the Asus PB287Q.

Having looked through a bunch of forum posts, I now see that a few select Macbooks are indeed capable of running 4K SST displays - namely, the high end 15" Retina Macbook Pro (late 2013 or later) with integrated Iris Pro + discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. According to this post from today though (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1764815), it seems that the less expensive 15" rMBP with just the integrated Iris Pro (without the discrete NVIDIA card) is also capable of running the Asus PB287Q, but the 13" rMBP with integrated Iris (not Iris Pro) is not. So it seems that the 13" rMBP can only run a 4K display at 60 Hz using MST, not SST... would this be correct? I am basing this off of a hodgepodge of unofficial forum posts so I may be completely off the mark.

If the above analysis of the rMBPs is true, I wonder which model of the rMBP elleana has. If he (or she?) has a 13" rMBP (late 2013 or later), perhaps it can be used to test whether this display is SST. If the display does not work at 60 Hz using a 13" rMBP, it would suggest that the display is SST. On the other hand, if it does work at 60 Hz, then it would suggest that the display is MST. If elleana has a 15" rMBP (late 2013 or later) though, this experiment won't work since that model can drive both MST and SST displays at 60Hz.

Last edited:
I guess this thing will probably not work with a DP to HDMI 2.0 cable (4k/60Hz)? Or perhaps theoretically it should, but no such cable exists today in the wild.. If I'm not mistaken.

The reason I ask is because I'm running my display to PC through receiver (passthrough), which has HDMI 2.0 ports, but it obviously does not have DP ports.

My apologies =)(=, I am not very familiar with how Macs handle 4K displays. I was going off the assumption that Macs are only able to run 4K 60Hz using MST, not SST, based on this Apple support page (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856) updated Nov 21, 2014. However, it seems like this support page simply has not been updated to reflect the introduction of 4K SST displays like the Asus PB287Q.

Having looked through a bunch of forum posts, I now see that a few select Macbooks are indeed capable of running 4K SST displays - namely, the high end 15" Retina Macbook Pro (late 2013 or later) with integrated Iris Pro + discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. According to this post from today though (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1764815), it seems that the less expensive 15" rMBP with just the integrated Iris Pro (without the discrete NVIDIA card) is also capable of running the Asus PB287Q, but the 13" rMBP with integrated Iris (not Iris Pro) is not. So it seems that the 13" rMBP can only run a 4K display at 60 Hz using MST, not SST... would this be correct? I am basing this off of a hodgepodge of unofficial forum posts so I may be completely off the mark.

If the above analysis of the rMBPs is true, I wonder which model of the rMBP elleana has. If he (or she?) has a 13" rMBP (late 2013 or later), perhaps it can be used to test whether this display is SST. If the display does not work at 60 Hz using a 13" rMBP, it would suggest that the display is SST. On the other hand, if it does work at 60 Hz, then it would suggest that the display is MST. If elleana has a 15" rMBP (late 2013 or later) though, this experiment won't work since that model can drive both MST and SST displays at 60Hz.

I have a mid 2012 retina MBP. Its showing 30Hz on the monitor status, I'm not sure what to make of it and how to force another refresh rate on OS X (Yosemite) - where the refresh rate would typically show up in Displays in System Preferences there's nothing there! Any ideas?

ojmr6v.jpg

Last edited:

- Do you have a Mac?

Thanks!

It is not exactly square. 18cm x 17.8 cm (approximate). But it looks perfectly square to the naked eye.

How about buying VESA stand and lowering the display to touch the desktop? Usually the space between the desk and lower edge of the display is wasted with some clutter.

Unfortunately that doesn't quite work for me, I have some part of a window behind my monitor.

So... Where'd you get it? Because a grand doesn't sound to bad.

Taobao, YMMV because you need to engage the services of a shipping agent unless you know someone in China.

I have a mid 2012 retina MBP. Its showing 30Hz on the monitor status, I'm not sure what to make of it and how to force another refresh rate on OS X (Yosemite) - where the refresh rate would typically show up in Displays in System Preferences there's nothing there! Any ideas?

I think thunderbolt 1 does not have the required bandwidth to run at 60Hz.
You would need thunderbolt 2 for that.

Not sure, hmmm.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1wrsv7/4k_monitor_with_retina_mbp/

Not sure, hmmm.

That is correct. I have a latest gen rMBP (2014) and it only drives 4K over DP at 60Hz if using Thunderbolt 2. For example, I tried going through the Belking Thunderbolt 1 dock, and only got 30Hz. Had to upgrade to Thunderbolt 2 dock to get 60Hz.

Thanks @elleana for all your testing & feedback.

elleana: could you test a single player FPS game, to see if the lag is still acceptable for casual single player games? I already pre-ordered this monitor in the Netherlands for 699 euro = 860 USD, including shiping and 21% VAT. I want to use it for working with big spreadsheets, having multiple webbrowsers and a online trading tool on one screen and occasionally playing a FPS single player. Could it handle this? Crysis 3 would be awesome at 3840x2160, but is this monitor up to it?

elleana: could you test a single player FPS game, to see if the lag is still acceptable for casual single player games? I already pre-ordered this monitor in the Netherlands for 699 euro = 860 USD, including shiping and 21% VAT. I want to use it for working with big spreadsheets, having multiple webbrowsers and a online trading tool on one screen and occasionally playing a FPS single player. Could it handle this? Crysis 3 would be awesome at 3840x2160, but is this monitor up to it?

I don't play FPS (I get motion sickness) so I wouldn't be able to tell whether its acceptable or not. Sorry!

I play WoW and I find it acceptable if that's of any use.

I find this resolution / size to be an amazing sweet spot in terms of screen real estate. I frequently work with many documents at once (word and pdf) and I previously had to choose between alt tab and some tiny zoom. At 40" 4K I can have everything side by side.

Not sure, hmmm.

That is correct. I have a latest gen rMBP (2014) and it only drives 4K over DP at 60Hz if using Thunderbolt 2. For example, I tried going through the Belking Thunderbolt 1 dock, and only got 30Hz. Had to upgrade to Thunderbolt 2 dock to get 60Hz.

Thanks @elleana for all your testing & feedback.

Good to know, but ultimately probably not relevant to me - I never plug my MBP into my monitor, I use it while on the road.

so was someone else getting one on saturday that can test input lag? - btw hows the screen glossy or matte or? and how does it look etc?

Good to know, but ultimately probably not relevant to me - I never plug my MBP into my monitor, I use it while on the road.

Would like to know your thoughts ...

Currently I have a 32" 4K display (Asus PQ231), which is very good, but UI text in Adobe CC, and "normal" text in Chrome/Finder/etc., is way too small. The ppi is around 140.

But the size of the monitor makes it so the left & right edges are at a sharp angle from my eyes. I.e., I have to turn my head to see the edges.

I was hoping the 40" would give me bigger text ... but I'm worried it will be too big and flat so the edges are even farther away. (By my calculations, it has around 111 ppi, right?)

I had a 30" Dell (2560x1600) which was the perfect pixel size. About 95 ppi.

How are you finding the size vs pixel density? Is it comfortable to work with? If you have text over on the sides near the edges, is it easy to read?

I really wish Apple would come out with an updated 4K thunderbolt display already!

Thanks!

Would like to know your thoughts ...
Currently I have a 32" 4K display (Asus PQ231), which is very good, but UI text in Adobe CC, and "normal" text in Chrome/Finder/etc., is way too small. The ppi is around 140. But the size of the monitor makes it so the left & right edges are at a sharp angle from my eyes. I.e., I have to turn my head to see the edges. I was hoping the 40" would give me bigger text ... but I'm worried it will be too big and flat so the edges are even farther away. (By my calculations, it has around 111 ppi, right?) I had a 30" Dell (2560x1600) which was the perfect pixel size. About 95 ppi. How are you finding the size vs pixel density? Is it comfortable to work with? If you have text over on the sides near the edges, is it easy to read? I really wish Apple would come out with an updated 4K thunderbolt display already!
Thanks!

Note this: Pixel density of the 40" 4K:3840x2160 is the same as 27"@2560x1440. This comes incidentally from the 3:2 ratio sizes both in inches and pixels in those displays.You can just check on the 27". In many applications text size can be adjusted, those which do not allow this are brain-damaged.

Sharp viewing angles near edges are the main deficiency of big wide monitors, the only solution I see is curved panel. Hopefully a curved 40" 4K panel will come, maybe in the coming year???

I won't be able to test the input lag for you.

I found only 2 guys which has CRT monitor for sale, they are both in another city and I was gonna go pick them up while I drive someone to the airport but one of the guys won't be at home when I'm there and I don't feel to go there another day cuz it will cost me extra fuel.

The other guy wanted me to pay him in advance but I told him I would pay when I pick it up and he got upset about that so now he doesn't wanna sell it, lol. I already ordered a "VGA to DVI" cable and wasted $13.

Back