Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

The only 4K TVs which have DisplayPort are from Panasonic. DisplayPort is not essential, every 4K TV has HDMI 2.0 connectivity and this can be utilized with the GTX970/980 cards, currently the only ones which have the HDMI 2.0 output. For playing games at 4K those cards are rather needed, even dual SLI is not excessive.

There are piles of HDMI 2.0 issues to consider when looking at using a TV for a computer monitor:

From cnet P series review:
"Like most 4K sets, the Vizio P series can't accept 4:4:4 chroma subsampling signals via any of its inputs. The company claims that's because three of the ports are compatible with HDCP 2.2, which doesn't allow 4:4:4 signals. This isn't a big deal to us since, once again, the only common 4:4:4 sources come from PCs."

From a credible source on AVS forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...hroma-subsampling-thread-14.html#post29064553

Apparently the SiL9679 chip being used by TV manufacturers for HDCP 2.2 support over HDMI 2.0, the only such chip available currently, is only capable of up to 4:2:0 chroma at 4K at 60 hz. Anyone looking for full RGB color at 4K60 on a TV should try to find one without HDCP 2.2 and hopefully using another chip, if this is the case.

I don't believe that HDCP cares about 4:4:4 vs. 4:2:0. However the limited bandwidth implementations of HDMI 2.0 simply cannot support the data rates necessary for 4K video using 4:4:4 except at 24Hz and 30Hz. Silicon Image (SI) has just started shipping their new Sil 9777 full bandwidth (i.e., 18 Gbps) HDMI 2.0 chip with HDCP 2.2. This should be able to support 4:4:4 for 4K@60, but even then only as long as the bit-depth is only 8-bits per color. At higher bit depths you will be limited to 4:2:2 (at 12-bit depth) or 4:2:0 (at 16-bit depth).

Can't get enough:

tsDBR1D.png

Dkh7MUa.jpg

HQgXv4R.png

There are piles of HDMI 2.0 issues to consider when looking at using a TV for a computer monitor:

From cnet P series review:
"Like most 4K sets, the Vizio P series can't accept 4:4:4 chroma subsampling signals via any of its inputs. The company claims that's because three of the ports are compatible with HDCP 2.2, which doesn't allow 4:4:4 signals. This isn't a big deal to us since, once again, the only common 4:4:4 sources come from PCs."

From a credible source on AVS forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...hroma-subsampling-thread-14.html#post29064553

Apparently the SiL9679 chip being used by TV manufacturers for HDCP 2.2 support over HDMI 2.0, the only such chip available currently, is only capable of up to 4:2:0 chroma at 4K at 60 hz. Anyone looking for full RGB color at 4K60 on a TV should try to find one without HDCP 2.2 and hopefully using another chip, if this is the case.

I don't believe that HDCP cares about 4:4:4 vs. 4:2:0. However the limited bandwidth implementations of HDMI 2.0 simply cannot support the data rates necessary for 4K video using 4:4:4 except at 24Hz and 30Hz. Silicon Image (SI) has just started shipping their new Sil 9777 full bandwidth (i.e., 18 Gbps) HDMI 2.0 chip with HDCP 2.2. This should be able to support 4:4:4 for 4K@60, but even then only as long as the bit-depth is only 8-bits per color. At higher bit depths you will be limited to 4:2:2 (at 12-bit depth) or 4:2:0 (at 16-bit depth).

You are right about issues with 4K TV as computer monitor, one does not have to look far for more info. There is also input lag problem which is sometimes so bad it shows up with lazy mouse cursor movements. It looks however that problems are being solved and new models should be much improved. But at least for now a TV can not substitute for high-quality monitor.

Last edited:
Can't get enough:

please share your experience !!
- for what kind of things do you use the monitor?
- what are the pros/cons for you?
- is it very reflective?
- is there a shift in gamma (brightness/contrast) when you move your head?
- does it make any noise?
- can you confirm sst?

we are VERY excited !!!

please share your experience !!
- for what kind of things do you use the monitor?
- what are the pros/cons for you?
- is it very reflective?
- is there a shift in gamma (brightness/contrast) when you move your head?
- does it make any noise?
- can you confirm sst?

we are VERY excited !!!

I can't do that as I don't have the monitor yet. I should have it in 2-3 weeks.
This waiting seems like it's taking forever.

The spec sheet lists the effective viewing area as 878.11mm by 485.35mm

If correct, that works out to:

111.075 pixels per inch horizontally
113.040 pixels per inch vertically

This would suggest that the non-square pixel rumors might be true.

It's also absolutely mind boggling that any panel manufacturer would do this. I'd gladly sacrifice a tiny bit of screen size to get square pixels.

Casual users, gamers, and video watchers will never notice a difference. But when doing any design work the non-square pixels are a complete deal breaker.

... when doing any design work the non-square pixels are a complete deal breaker.

This would be really sad.
Are there any screens outside (TVs...?) who do this?
Otherwise it must be a failure in documentation...

=> I wrote an email to philips customer support and ask for more informations on this topic

Last edited:
Still have the Seiki 40U4SEP-G02 on the horizon.

Yeah Q1 2015, which could mean March, and I don't feel to wait. Also there is zero info about the Seiki and how do we know that it won't end up having similar problem as the Philips?

I talked to someone on IRC and he said "I still believe the slightly off aspect ratio won't be a problem but only to absolute professionals".

Last edited:
Seiki has already done a 39". If it was 60Hz it would have been the most popular monitor to date.
I'm sure their 40" will live up to the hype at a cheaper cost.

I can't do that as I don't have the monitor yet. I should have it in 2-3 weeks.
This waiting seems like it's taking forever.

I should get mine this week. But yes, waiting for something so exciting is really difficult..

Cool, I had a look around a few weeks ago on there and couldn't find it (search skills were pretty weak I guess).

Be very interested to see what your opinion is when you get it.

Not to justify the choice to use non square pixels, but this might help put things into perspective:

Not so long ago, when we were using CRT's most people were using non-square pixels without knowing it. Between the resolution and aspect ratio you chose to use, and the focus, position and scaling adjustments made to the monitor, a majority of people were NOT using square pixels. Sure, if you were doing print/photo work professionally, you'd have your display calibrated, but most did not, and it was not a problem back then. I know I adjusted mine to show as much picture without obstructing corners/edges, regardless of whether I was running 1024x768 (4:3) or 1280x1024 (5:4), with no thought to the shape of the pixels.

Again, I'm disappointed to see this design choice, but I'd recommend looking at the display for yourself before you decide it's a problem, because it's likely not. As a gamer or other computer enthusiast, I highly doubt you'd notice.

Then again, I haven't seen the display, so I could be way off track. Just food for thought.

US $1009

Does that include a high VAT? The Chinese price is around $750 with conversion.

Is this TV 4:4:4 capable? I tried to search the thread for "4:4:4" and it gave me an array error.

[H]appymeal;1041266305 said:
Yes, it is not a tv.

Thanks, can it display 1080p signals through HDMI?
I want to be able to use it for my PS4. I have a 1440p korean monitor with DL-DVI input only and can't connect my ps4 to it even with proper active displayport adapters.

Okay, I've received mine. Still in the box for now (damn this thing is huge) but will set it up sometime this week.

Won't be doing a review but possibly impressions, also happy to do any testing as long as its not anything overly complicated or requiring any separate equipment.

If something like that was on the horizon, I would wait until 2016 for it.That display would be incredible.

Hopefully manufacturers won't be just pushing 5K pixels into ever smaller displays...

Thanks, can it display 1080p signals through HDMI?
I want to be able to use it for my PS4. I have a 1440p korean monitor with DL-DVI input only and can't connect my ps4 to it even with proper active displayport adapters.

The monitor has HDMI input so it should work but it will require separate investigation what is the picture quality with the 1080 signal.

Okay, I've received mine. Still in the box for now (damn this thing is huge) but will set it up sometime this week. Won't be doing a review but possibly impressions, also happy to do any testing as long as its not anything overly complicated or requiring any separate equipment.

Gr8! Key interest points are input lag (anything noticeable with very fast mouse movements) and distortions towards edge (you sit close to the display center, is there
visibile backlight spillover, color bleeding etc when looking near edges).

Okay, I've received mine. Still in the box for now (damn this thing is huge) but will set it up sometime this week.

Won't be doing a review but possibly impressions, also happy to do any testing as long as its not anything overly complicated or requiring any separate equipment.

Ya cant wait ... pics too - agree with other poster - input lag/bleeding and just overall feel of the monitor

There's always that guy who says it's in the box, and they can't set it up until later in the week.

My monitor is sent today, so I will have it tomorrow or Thursday but I won't be able to test until Saturday. I will also buy a CRT monitor on Saturday for ca 15$ so I can test input lag for you.

Man I want one of these so bad. I'm probably going to game at 3840x1600 (1.5 30"rs put together horizontally) for a wider FOV and have the extra space for normal desktop work. I love my 30"rs but running a lower resolution would be easier on my gpu.

There's always that guy who says it's in the box, and they can't set it up until later in the week.

Huh? Are you suggesting I'll never get round to it (possible, I will probably unbox it and forget about updating here) or that I don't even have it???

wk5ixt.jpg

(I have no idea why it uploaded upside down but you get the idea)

Huh? Are you suggesting I'll never get round to it (possible, I will probably unbox it and forget about updating here)

It's quite common.
The community is grateful to those who review limited availability items.

When you have the time to review(we all are busy with life), we'll be here ready to read it.

So where can I buy this thing where it doesn't cost $2000?

No kidding. If this turns out to what we hope, it will be a Christmas gift to myself.
If it's not widely available until after CES, I may wait for the Seiki or another improved model.

Back