Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

I get it. But lets face it even the brightest projectors within reasonable reach money wise are terrible for PQ in a semi bright room. The lamps have to be replaced constantly (I leave my displays on quite a bit) and the heat output is enough to replace a space heater. There are PLENTY of downsides with projectors. If you can't control your room lighting easily its just not practical. Now with a heavily light controlled room projectors can be amazing. But most people I know simply don't have a room they can dedicate to this purpose.

Plus a 4K projector? Starting at what? $7,000?

Projectors will always have the same pitfalls (bulb replacement could be eliminated with newer laser tech though and lessened with LED bulbs that last 100,000 hours versus 3000 at 75 percent brightness).

Of course this would just add to the cost, but it can do some pretty amazing things to mitigate the ambient light issue. Check out some of the videos: http://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/ambient-materials/black-diamond/

I get it. But lets face it even the brightest projectors within reasonable reach money wise are terrible for PQ in a semi bright room.

I've responded to you in the new thread, let's not clutter this thread up with our OT banter. :D

I'm starting to figure out how to get one of these finally. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take Amazon to actually stock them? Otherwise how difficult would it be to purchase one from the links that you just posted above me?

Thanks!

Amazon looks to be at least a month off, original Phillips word was next week but I've been asking around and they all keep telling me the 1-2month estimates are correct (FWIW)

If you absolutely must have one now, I would recommend ordering thru one of the eBay sellers from Korea. You get purchase protection that almost always sides with the buyer, and UPS air shipping in most cases.
Those that use UPS can add full insurance for around 25 bucks, compared to the laughable DHL "coverage" I had it's a bargain at 925 shipped. This will at least cover your ass if they decide to play kickball with your clearly marked "40" 4k monitor" box!

Thanks qkslvr221 for the reply! I'm thinking I'll just wait the 1-2 months at this point so I can save up a little more for it. Plus I already have a samsung 28 4k that is doing fine and I don't think the resale price on it will drop significantly in that time frame. That and Amazon is really nice to do business with.

This definitely seems like the first monitor purchase that will last me a long long time without any desire to upgrade though. I'm not as concerned about freesync or any of those at this point either because I'm already running crossfired 290x's

I have been following this thread for a long time.
I finally bought the 4065UC from Amazon sole by bizbuy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBCVY02/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think it comes from Korea.
It was delivered by UPS in perfect shape in about a week.
I was a bit worried with no tracking number other than Amazon saying it was shipped.

No dead pixels. it comes with a Korean plug adapter, but I used a conventional psu cable that I already had. The OSD is in Korean, and I have yet to find out how to set it to English. There is a language menu, but there are no options on it.
No matter, the included setup guide has enough pictures to select DP 1.2
It runs at 60hz using a dp connection to a GTX780. I get 60fps in civ 4 and 5.
I used to have two 30" 2560 x 1600 monitors, and I replace one.
Because of desk space, I had to shift the Philips somewhat to the side. Looking at amall stuff on the far right makes me need to move my head to see it clearly.
When I get it relocated properly and centered, it will be no problem.
I look at it from about 50cm. I am using the stock stand, and because I am tall, the height seems about right to me. In time I will get a wall mount so I can reclaim some desk space.
With a second 30" side monitor, one has the usual problem of changing web page sizes when dragging an image from one to another.
Currently I see no good way to add a second 40: monitor to fix that and still be able to see from one side to another.
As to colors... It seems perfect to me out of the box.
For warranty and registration, Philips has a US site and I was able to register the product there.
I think I am covered.
-----------bottom line------------------
After about two weeks of use, I am very happy with the monitor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How is the color saturation on this thing? For example would you say it looks vibrant, or a bit subdued?

Last edited:
How long do you guys think it'll take before a monitor like this goes below $500?

It looks just right to me.
I am certain that adjustments could be made, either via the OSD or through nvidia control.
My take is that it is more on the subdued side than vibrant.

How long do you guys think it'll take before a monitor like this goes below $500?

Assuming you're talking about buying new, outside of promo/discount codes and temporary sale prices, a long time. That would be a 37.5% discount off of Amazon's price (and 50% off of US MSRP, apparently), so I don't think this particular display will ever fall that far; it's far more likely to be replaced with a newer model before that point. There isn't even any competition in this segment at the moment, and the sole future competitor is still a future competitor, and judging by the specs it will offer an inferior panel. Maybe a 40" TN panel may be offered for $500 at some point, but not VA any time soon.

Then again this is all speculation on my part, so take it with a grain of salt.

bought one from the amazon site directly for the $799 price point. I'm okay waiting a month or two for the return policy, the $150 off, and the US specced panel. Now the waiting game. Hopefully they ship it sooner rather than later.

I didn't know why you were so concerned about the shipping time until I checked the product page on Amazon and saw this:

"Usually ships within 1 to 3 months."

As if one to three months isn't long enough, they have to add"usually" to the mix. Anyone know why it takes so long?

I didn't know why you were so concerned about the shipping time until I checked the product page on Amazon and saw this:

As if one to three months isn't long enough, they have to add"usually" to the mix. Anyone know why it takes so long?

Ya, I was hoping that once I ordered it the estimate would get a little more precise.

They must have placed an order from the manufacturer but have no estimate from them regarding when they will receive more units.

I'm betting that there is a backlog of orders from the rest of the world that are slowly being filled before they will start shipping out american units.

Ya, I was hoping that once I ordered it the estimate would get a little more precise.

They must have placed an order from the manufacturer but have no estimate from them regarding when they will receive more units.

I'm betting that there is a backlog of orders from the rest of the world that are slowly being filled before they will start shipping out american units.

The only really nice benefit of this is that typically the first run's of anything have issues that are normally sorted out by the time manufacturers are able to produce their larger runs of items. So hopefully by the time we receive them they won't have any nasty surprises or QA issues.

For the most part that should be a non issue, since Asia got it significantly before everyone else, which is also the reason why don't have any stock issues.

I bought mine from Amazon US on Mar 12 and today my order was updated with this

Arriving Wed, Apr 22 - Sat, May 30

WTF. I bought mine on march 8th and mine hasn't been updated yet. Did you figure out a way to slip them a $20?

Lol, I wouldn't be too concerned. My order was placed on March 9th and it shows a delivery estimate of April 15 - May 21 for me. I wouldn't put much stock into the exact dates.

Awww yeah, mine's due to arrive today :D

FYI: Ordered from Amazon UK on Feb 17th, if people are wondering about lead times.

Can't wait to get home :D

Lol, I wouldn't be too concerned. My order was placed on March 9th and it shows a delivery estimate of April 15 - May 21 for me. I wouldn't put much stock into the exact dates.

hmm I changed my shipping method to priority and now it's telling me:

"Arriving Tue, Mar 31 - Mon, May 18"

I live in Alaska BTW

The Seiki SM32UNP 40" 4k Just became in stock on Amazon. However for $1000 instead of the $800 for the Phillips. But, in stock vs months, hmm...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are there any reasons why the Seiki is worth the extra money? Spec wise is it any better? I know the big stats are the same, both va, both 40" 4k at 60hz at 1.2dp.

Are there any reasons why the Seiki is worth the extra money? Spec wise is it any better? I know the big stats are the same, both va, both 40" 4k at 60hz at 1.2dp.

I know one big difference is that it has an anti-glare/matte screen.

I would be curious to see input lag measurements vs the Philips.

tft has the philips at 24ms combining input lag and g2g. I'll see if I can find anything on the seiki.

The Philips one is 8 bit vs. "Seiki Digital It supports 4K 60Hz w/ 10-bit color at DP 1.2."

Is 8 bit to 10 bit a noticeable difference?

I think Seiki priced their product for a first mover advantage. Back when they first released their 4K TV at a blowout price, they had tons of sales, and tons of reviews from users talking about using the TV as a monitor.

It shouldn't be any surprise that they then became the first brand to (fully) launch a monitor in the same size after getting that feedback. They probably realized the error of offering a bargain-basement price point into a wave of pent-up demand, and changed the priced strategy accordingly.

I see a fast price drop down to $800 in 6 months or so, maybe even less, if the Phillips takes a noticeable bite out of their demand.

Last edited:
The Philips one is 8 bit vs. "Seiki Digital It supports 4K 60Hz w/ 10-bit color at DP 1.2."

Is 8 bit to 10 bit a noticeable difference?

Yes. 10 bit can give 1.07 billion colors as opposed to the 16.7 million you'd expect from a standard 8-bit monitor.

I don't believe it is a TRUE 10 bit display. Notice they say '10 bit color' not '10 bit panel.' I bet they are using the same tech the Philips does.

The Philips panel has a true 8-bit screen, but looks to be using some sort of frame rate control (FRC) to mimic the effects of a 10-bit panel. Philips are quoting a full 1.07 billion colors with the BDM4065UC.

tft has the philips at 24ms combining input lag and g2g. I'll see if I can find anything on the seiki.

The spec sheet on Amazon says 8 ms gtg and the Philips says 3 ms gtg.

edit - correction the Philips is 8 ms also, the 3 ms figure is with smart response on. The specs on these panels are identical from what I see

Last edited:
Sure would be interesting to see someone doing a double review of the Philips and the Seiki. From specs alone I think it is hard to pick which is the better one, for some the two DP ports of the Seiki may make it an easy choice and for sure HDMI 2.0 would have been a killer for me.

For now my money is, literally, on the Philips and to me it seems more of a quality item + while the Philips should have arrived here this week it has only been pushed back a week so next week...touch wood :)

Question for those that have Philis on the Desk already. Does all of them come with a plastic tear off for the logo on the base that can't be removed without taking the monitor apart? Just wondering if I need to plan a disassembly session.

I only had the Philips for a week but I'll try to type something up this weekend...my Seiki is arriving tomorrow.

-bstewart

Sure would be interesting to see someone doing a double review of the Philips and the Seiki. From specs alone I think it is hard to pick which is the better one, for some the two DP ports of the Seiki may make it an easy choice and for sure HDMI 2.0 would have been a killer for me.

For now my money is, literally, on the Philips and to me it seems more of a quality item + while the Philips should have arrived here this week it has only been pushed back a week so next week...touch wood :)

Question for those that have Philis on the Desk already. Does all of them come with a plastic tear off for the logo on the base that can't be removed without taking the monitor apart? Just wondering if I need to plan a disassembly session.

I know one big difference is that it has an anti-glare/matte screen.

I would be curious to see input lag measurements vs the Philips.

does this look matte?

1zns6mb.jpg

I like the looks of that photo. I'm hoping it's showing the same coating that the Philips has...it would look the same as this but when I was actually using the monitor, it wasn't a problem at all.

Yes. 10 bit can give 1.07 billion colors as opposed to the 16.7 million you'd expect from a standard 8-bit monitor.

I don't believe it is a TRUE 10 bit display. Notice they say '10 bit color' not '10 bit panel.' I bet they are using the same tech the Philips does.

The Philips panel has a true 8-bit screen, but looks to be using some sort of frame rate control (FRC) to mimic the effects of a 10-bit panel. Philips are quoting a full 1.07 billion colors with the BDM4065UC.

Also should be said, even if it was a 10 bit display (which it isn't), unless you are doing some specific work which requires 10 bit (which anyone considering the philips or the seiki and asking what is 10bit is most certainly not doing), you won't see the difference between the 8 bits and the 10 bits, since 10 bits is only used for print work.

can you guys point me to somewhere that explains this 10bit vs 8bit color a bit better as it relates to monitors? I thought monitors were all at least 32bit color. I remember back in the 90s when 16 color graphics cards were the standard and you could clearly see bands of colors in most gradients.

we clearly must be talking about a different standard. does 8 bit mean 8 bits per RGB channel plus 8 bits for brightness or what?

Does all of them come with a plastic tear off for the logo on the base that can't be removed without taking the monitor apart? Just wondering if I need to plan a disassembly session.

I believe so, mine certainly did, but honestly unless you are really picky, it's just simply not worth the trouble, I only notice it if I'm actually looking at it, and looking at the bezel of the monitor instead of the monitor is kind of using the monitor wrong, either way here is some photos of mine:

http://imgur.com/QP1almp,swtx3fP,f0OV9fl,GWaHlVD,vpxzJxi

as you can see, it's really some minor stuff.

does 8 bit mean 8 bits per RGB channel plus 8 bits for brightness or what?

yes, 8 bits per color channel = 24-bit (true color) the other 8-bits to get to 32-bit are the alpha transparency bits
monitors come in a variety: 6bit+FRC,8-bit,8-bit+FRC,10-bit (deep color)
many screens use FRC dithering (Advanced FRC) to simulate more colors
the WLED backlight employed in majority of monitors restricts the gamut that can be displayed anyway (the 4k TN panels are 10-bit but have WLED)

multimedia content is made with sRGB in mind, and in the future it will probably be rec. 2020
pcmonitors.info has good subjective descriptions on how the colors in multimedia content compare on a monitor with GB-LED backlight and two color spaces
example: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2713h/ (section: colour in games and movies)
some crave the oversaturated look when extending colorspace to AdobeRGB but it makes the content look neon and unnatural to a degree

Last edited:
I ordered mine on 13th of February (Europe). Still waiting, but now I'm having second thoughts about canceling it and going with the Samsung TV for the curve, as it looks like 40" model JU6700 will support chroma 4:4:4 and presumably should offer at least decent input lag..

Hmm.. What to do? I'm torn. Need more info on those sammy's ASAP.

Am I crazy wanting this with a single 780ti? Anyone tried 4k with it?

run the 3dmark 4k test. pretty sure it's on steam.

and yes, you're crazy. I'm probably going to buy a second 970 and even then I'm not sure if I'll be able to run Ultra settings

Id be ok with using it as 21:9 (custom res) and ultra w/o AA or high with it. Someone used this is 21:9 way back in this thread. Curious how it would work...

I'd love the 4k for productivity; the 34" ultrawides are so tempting, but this running 21:9 is possible, so its hard to buy an ultrawide.

Am I crazy wanting this with a single 780ti? Anyone tried 4k with it?

For 4K you should be looking to maintain crossfire/SLI of at least two flagship single-GPU cards to maintain very high / ultra settings in most games. I'm talking about the normal flagships (980 and 290X for current generation, 290X soon to be replaced by 390 series around June 2015), not halo products like Titan X. They're great, but if you were interested in spending that much money you probably wouldn't still have your single 780ti.

This may seem bad on the wallet at first, but consider that Eyefinity/Surround 2560x1600 users should ideally be using at least one flagship per monitor (trifire or better for triple 2560x1600 monitors, quad for 5x 2560x1600 monitors in portrait orientation). For 4K Eyefinity (triple 4K monitors), quadfire is pretty much mandatory and expect to have many issues and disappointments depending on the game. But guys spending that much on their displays have no right to complain about the cost of driving them, kinda like Ferrari owners complaining about the maintenance fees.

Above is all just IMO though. If you're fine with lowering game settings or are playing older games, you can definitely squeak by with your 780ti for as long as you want. Always upgrade your displays first and then upgrade your system to drive the display. Your monitor is far and beyond the most noticeable upgrade you can make to your system, even above upgrading from an HDD to an SSD (though only slightly)...

Last edited:
Back