• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Pentium 1 overclocking fun...

qb4ever said:
NICE.... around here that would about 50-$75 because it would be a good "aol computer"
rolleyes.gif


Still have my "ES" pentiums put up in a box... 75,90,100,120,150,166 non mmx

I'm gonna ram some more RAM in it and turn it into a F@H box. ;)
 
I always get the best deals at yard sales, not to rain on your parade, but i got a 400mhz celeron based compaq which appears to never have been used (literaly 0 dust on any of the internal components) for a dollar. It has a 6 gig HD , 64mb of ram, onboard video, cd-rom ect. I cracked the case stuck my extra 20 gig HD in it , along with a pci gf2mx 32meg, 2x128mb ram, pci NIC , and a sb live I had kicking around. But no extra monitors sitting around though.. So my wife spotted me a kds 17" crt at a yard sale, its the same model Walmart still stocks and she got it (with a keyboard and pair of older ampliphied speaks) for 5$. I checked out its mb very thouroughly it appears to be a i820 chipset with no jumpers to speak of, and the bios is limited to basicly detecting harddrives and enabling or disabling the onboard video (which is an important option). I put a bunch of old games on it, along with winxp pro and its gonna be a fine computer for the kids. Not to bad for 6$+ some spare parts I had sitting around. :)
 
I had a 133 that would boot at 200. seems like it would post higher than that.
 
Let's start a new trend! Extreme overclocking with old school hardware, with today's cooling technique and knowledge :D Nah, someone already had this idea, I am pretty sure :rolleyes:

Para
 
i had a p200mmx that would oc to 295mhz, but not 300, yet it would run on 100mhz fsb at 200 and 250 no sweat... it even wouldn't hit higher than 295 when i slapped my first athlon water cooling rig on it(back when it was socket a of course)... my p133 i had(non-mmx of course) would hit 166 stable... man those were the days...had a p133 oc'd to 166 and 128 mb of 60ns memory :p
 
Elysian said:
i had a p200mmx that would oc to 295mhz, but not 300, yet it would run on 100mhz fsb at 200 and 250 no sweat... it even wouldn't hit higher than 295 when i slapped my first athlon water cooling rig on it(back when it was socket a of course)... my p133 i had(non-mmx of course) would hit 166 stable... man those were the days...had a p133 oc'd to 166 and 128 mb of 60ns memory :p

This was most likely due to PCI bus limitation. At that time, there was no PCI locking like today (AFAIK). Also, I remember that my old 200MMX was running very hot, like 53ºC. I lapped the slug with 1500 grit sand paper and it cooled it down to 45ºC. I could have gone better if the heatsink was also lapped.

Para
 
i don't think it had anything to do with the pci bus limitation, especially considering the board was designed to run 100mhz fsb for amd chips, and i was running my p200 on 100mhz fsb at both 200 and 250 no problems... i really honestly don't know why it couldn't go the extra 5 mhz other than maybe i hit its limit... even on 3.3v still wouldn't go over 295...
 
Back
Top