PeerIX - Official thread

You're welcome! I do what I can. :D

On another note. I got my router, bitches! It has an IP on the internets and I'm getting ready to download some IOS for this pig. I can almost taste the hot BGP over GRE action . . .
sweet deal, we just need to add you to the diagram... post up in goog groups your connection speed and geographical location and we'll setup the appropriate peers for you.

Ben,
Like Vito said, yes...

BUMP! Anyone else want to join in.. we have about ~25 people total and 11 people up already.

i'm still trying to decide if i want to join in on the fun, i do have a Ip phone that i can't do anything with till i get CME but i'm not sure about my performance for our personal use, only have a 3mb down/ 768k up connection. If the linksys WRVS4400N would support BGP/GRE then i would be all for it, otherwise i would have to move stuff around and put my 3660 on the edge. And i need a different IOS for the 3660 but to do that i need mem upgrades. By the end of the week i should be able to let you guys know if its a yes or no.

We aren't doing a lot of file sharing, there are only a few people with decently fast upload speeds.

Hey,

I don't think I'm goign to get a chance to participate because I share a house with a few other people and I don't have a decent line :(. I'm just about to finish my CCNA though and I'm trying to get as much information as I can so if there is any networking talk going on then count me in. PM me the details if you want.

If I can get a couple of public IPs then I'll let you all know ASAP as I have a 2621XM here that I could contribute.

Cheers

I have to say if your on the fence about this don't be. If you have the hardware and the IOS this is a fun process and you get to meet alot of cool people along the way that are more than willing to help you get through this as well as give you tips and tricks to make it easier.

Man I so want to join this. I have been following this daily, but I am too much of a noob at routing and even more importantly I don't have any hardware.:rolleyes: Anyways, interesting thread to read and watch.

I read the old thread and read this thread, I read that someone was trying with pfsense 2.0. Did anyone have any success with this or an update?

Man I so want to join this. I have been following this daily, but I am too much of a noob at routing and even more importantly I don't have any hardware.:rolleyes: Anyways, interesting thread to read and watch.

We've got Vyatta working to a degree.

Interesting, can it be setup in a virtual machine? I have an old DL380 G3 Quad xeon server at the office that spends 90% of its time doing nothing. I may load up a VM on it and load vyatta in that.

SWEET!!!! Looks like it is time for me to figure out how to set it up on the server. I'll work on that and get back to you. I don't want to waste your time on how to set it up (I am pretty sure I can pull that off). Are there any things I need to take into consideration when setting it up? THings that would not be obvious that are unique to this network?

You should join the group, you can ask questions and see what others are doing. Send me your email and I'll invite you.

SWEET!!!! Looks like it is time for me to figure out how to set it up on the server. I'll work on that and get back to you. I don't want to waste your time on how to set it up (I am pretty sure I can pull that off). Are there any things I need to take into consideration when setting it up? THings that would not be obvious that are unique to this network?
There are a bunch of things to consider but the most important are probably:

Does your edge device support IPsec and GRE passthru? If yes then you're good, if no.. not so good.

Also, you must pop holes in your firewall for source server BGP connections as well as client BGP connections.

Like Vito said we finally got vyatta working, but its still do a degree and I would consider it a bit buggy(I had it working with a peer last night, they reconfigured minor firewall rules and now its not working). Vyatta is definitely a headache :rolleyes:

not me i had it up for a day and then i enabled the firewall and the tunnels stopped working and when i disabled it it still did the same thing. Then the next day I reinstalled it to make sure it wasn't anything i misconfigured and i still had the same problems. I spent at least three days trying to get them back up, and i talked to keenan and had him look everything over but it still wouldn't come up no matter what i did. then i got one of the tunnels up but in the status it would show them as not encrypted but i also could not bring up my other tunnel to my other peer.

that sucks. for a while I really wanted to like Vyatta but I could never get it to work right . . . and I was trying to do a lot more simple crap like router-on-a-stick.....

Yeah, it seems to be working reasonably well for me, but with a lot of workarounds and fucking around. I'm considering ditching it and just wiring its core components up myself (NetFilter + OpenSwan + Quagga).

I sent an email to the offical Gmail account, hope to hear back from you!

first time i have seen this thread, if i find some time in the future i may be able to provide a pfsense box, possibly one in toronto canada on a 8mb/1mb cable line and maybe once in costa rica on a 4mb/1mb cable line :D

first time i have seen this thread, if i find some time in the future i may be able to provide a pfsense box, possibly one in toronto canada on a 8mb/1mb cable line and maybe once in costa rica on a 4mb/1mb cable line :D

Costa Rica has 4/1? Are you stealing from the government down there?

Haha, so now vyatta is NOT supported. Hmm. I am anxious to get this up and running, not sure where to go from here. I guess I'll need to ask in the google group. Off I go.

Haha, so now vyatta is NOT supported. Hmm. I am anxious to get this up and running, not sure where to go from here. I guess I'll need to ask in the google group. Off I go.

Well, I saw xphil3 say that he got it working in Dynagen last week in IRC. Not entirely certain if he was referring to an actual peer or purely virtual scenario.

Don't lose hope yet...

Send your email to the group email addy to join. I think they have it working and have a good sample config to go off from.

Costa Rica has 4/1? Are you stealing from the government down there?

He is the guvernment.

Ba-da BOOM. :p

Ask not what your government can do for you. ask what Mr. Guvernment can provide you for bandwidth in interesting places

LOL! i need a good laugh today!

surprisingly yes, we have 4mb/1mb internet, for the low low price of $129 a month! and for $100 a month you can get a 4mb/768kb connection :)

Back