PCGH - RX 480 fails at 1400MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant seem to find the picture that had a better look of the fins and how it was situated in relation to the actual gpu die......the fins would dissipate the heat better using a vapor chamber. Looking at the outside of the cooler i cant tell for sure if there's a chamber inside it or not. We get someone to cut the dam thing in half and well know for sure lol:)

You aren't going to use a vapor chamber with a copper slug in the middle like that. It's too small. The benefits would be negligible. And pressing a slug into the middle like that on a vapor chamber is problematic as the sides are typically welded. They wouldn't respond well to being pressed in that fashion.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Some people here are hilarious.

Nvidia are taking an extra 100$ for a mediocre cooler on the 600$ card (or 70$ (?) on the 1070), and yet people here are bashing AMD for their coolers on 200$/230$ cards, without even seeing any benchmarks. Yes these cards are cheap, and I assume that the cooler is not the best ever, but I suppose you could at least wait for benchmarks before bashing them? I would expect that AMD have learned their lesson after the whole 290x issues (just look at how the whole fan thing hurt AMD. According to tpu, the 290x is now 20% faster than the 780ti. We know who made the right decision @ 2013.)

If the cooler is quiet (or even not loud) and does not throttle at stock - that's great. This is a 200$ card we're talking about.

Regarding Gibbo - he could've just said nothing, he didn't have to say anything but he did.

its worse than that the 100 bucks ain't even for the cooler its just for an aluminum shroud. ;)

In regards to the rx 480 ref cooler, its for a ref card, AMD doesn't want you to overclock to the moon, if you want to do that, get an AIB card at your own dime and hope for the best. This is still a more expensive process than last gen, so they have to cut costs as much as they can on the ref boards.

Some people here are hilarious.

Nvidia are taking an extra 100$ for a mediocre cooler on the 600$ card (or 70$ (?) on the 1070), and yet people here are bashing AMD for their coolers on 200$/230$ cards, without even seeing any benchmarks. Yes these cards are cheap, and I assume that the cooler is not the best ever, but I suppose you could at least wait for benchmarks before bashing them? I would expect that AMD have learned their lesson after the whole 290x issues (just look at how the whole fan thing hurt AMD. According to tpu, the 290x is now 20% faster than the 780ti. We know who made the right decision @ 2013.

If the cooler is quiet (or even not loud) and does not throttle at stock - that's great. This is a 200$ card we're talking about.

Regarding Gibbo - he could've just said nothing, he didn't have to say anything but he did.

For it's application it works. But I'm saying it has small overclocking headroom and because of it's design it will make the fan noiser than it should be.

That said what REALLY pissed me off is AMD being deceptive again when Raja held up the RX480 saying "Same great quality cooling we always offered." I realize he's trying to do a counter to nvidia's cooler design which they bragged about. But that is bringing a knife to a gun fight argument.

That is Bullshit right there. That is deceptive because it's bottom of the barrel "get the job done" cooling. That's right up there with "an overclockers dream"

Griffin I see what you are saying what Raja stated, but it is designed to do what it needs to do and it does it quietly.

well i can only speak for myself......but people hammered the 290x cooler as being shit. (And it had a vapor chamber right?) Maybe they got plates working as good a vapors these days lol..But also like Razor says they skimp on purpose so people pay extra for the more expensive ones and that does make sense

For it's application it works. But I'm saying it has small overclocking headroom and because of it's design it will make the fan noiser than it should be.

That said what REALLY pissed me off is AMD being deceptive again when Raja held up the RX480 saying "Same great quality cooling we always offered."

That is Bullshit right there. That is deceptive because it's bottom of the barrel "get the job done" cooling. That's right up there with "an overclockers dream"

Again, this is a mainstream cooler. Let's wait for benchmarks. If it's cheap but works, then that's great and it is great quality cooling. You're not entitled to any OCability, and nobody promised anything about overclocking. This isn't even close to "an overclocker's dream". Seriously, this is really not deceptive. This can be seen on day 1 benchmarks.

Are you also pissed at JHH for saying that the FE edition has "crazy overclocking ability"? People here hold AMD to basically every half sentence they ever said and it's just ridiculous.

Again, this is a mainstream cooler. Let's wait for benchmarks. If it's cheap but works, then that's great and it is great quality cooling. You're not entitled to any OCability, and nobody promised anything about overclocking. This isn't even close to "an overclocker's dream". Seriously, this is really not deceptive. This can be seen on day 1 benchmarks.

Are you also pissed at JHH for saying that the FE edition has "crazy overlocking ability"? People here hold AMD to basically every half sentence they ever said and it's just ridiculous.
No I'm pissed Raja claimed this is a great quality cooler when it is the most basic cooler really possible. It's misleading. Cheap coolers make fans work harder.

No I'm pissed Raja claimed this is a great quality cooler when it is the most basic cooler really possible. It's misleading.
It can be basic and also great. It depends on how it performs not on what you think you deserve.

If in two days we find out that it's loud and throttles - by all means you can complain about how the cooler is crap.

Maybe it'll just end up good but not great, that liar Raja!

No I'm pissed Raja claimed this is a great quality cooler when it is the most basic cooler really possible. It's misleading. Cheap coolers make fans work harder.
How much noise do those FE coolers put out at 100% fan speed? Likewise i be curious how much noise these make compared to the FE's.

It can be basic and also great. It depends on how it performs not on what you think you deserve.

If in two days we find out that it's loud and throttles - by all means you can complain about how the cooler is crap.

Maybe it'll just end up good but not great, that liar Raja!

When you try to mislead someone you deserve a kick in the pants.
Is it adequate cooler yes.
is it a GREAT cooler? NO.
Is it a great buy yes.
Will I recommend it for the $200->$250 price point yes.

But I'm not happy with AMD marketing these days.

How much noise do those FE coolers put out at 100% fan speed? Likewise i be curious how much noise these make compared to the FE's.
Realistically it should be based upon the fan at around 60%, as that seems the ideal profile speed to set at 80degree.
If heavily overclocking then need to be up to roughly 65%.
But I would only expect a 10% OC from a card designed with an MSRP of $229.
I mean it has to be designed and built to the price, even so the margins will be tight for it at that price.
However we do not know the behaviour when it goes beyond the optimal performance envelope, such as when it reaches the ceiling is it due to the cooling system or further compounded by the power consumption/voltage required/thermal dissipation that no cooling solution will overcome.
And that will have implications for any higher priced custom AIB models and just how far it can be pushed.
Cheers

What's with this fan speed % nonsense? You can't compare percentages at all. It's totally useless. You can compare RPMs between different cards (and still it wouldn't be ideal to make a direct comparison since fan size makes large difference).

Yo we ain't bashing the cooler. This basically epitomizes every argument about the RX480 ever... There's always someone conflating curbing expectation with bashing. If I say ' the RX480 is a good purchase for the price', then say 'the RX480 has underwhelming performance' I am not bashing. Bashing would be making unjust criticism with no evidence or logic behind it...

This is a tiny ass heatsink, with a blower fan. Let's face it. It's gonna suck, literally and figuratively, like every blower ever.

It ain't high end. It ain't gonna turn heads. It will do.

NV aren't charging a premium for the cooler on the FE. They're charging a premium for being first, and it's working. Anyone with a modicum of patience and one iota of common sense will buy an aftermarket cooler version. Worth noting though, since someone ALWAYS brings up the FE. That the FE is no worse an overclocker than the AIB versions once you overcome the temp throttling by using a custom fan curve.

What's with this fan speed % nonsense? You can't compare percentages at all. It's totally useless. You can compare RPMs between different cards (and still it wouldn't be ideal to make a direct comparison since fan size makes large difference).

I mentioned this in the "Why do [H] reviews suck ?" thread, testing GPUs at a set noise level would be best, 40dBA target, see which coolers perform best. Ez. But to be fair, the loudness doesn't tell all, you also need a noise profile ideally, it's pretty complicated, but generally speaking high-pitched noises are more 'audible' and more annoying than low pitched noises

Last edited:
Reactions: Tup3x
like this
When you try to mislead someone you deserve a kick in the pants.
Is it adequate cooler yes.
is it a GREAT cooler? NO.
Is it a great buy yes.
Will I recommend it for the $200->$250 price point yes.

But I'm not happy with AMD marketing these days.

Seriously that's what you're unhappy about?! What about claiming 51% utilization in a crossfire setup? AMD market thinks so highly of their target demographic that they essentially treat them like... dimwits

Are you also pissed at JHH for saying that the FE edition has "crazy overclocking ability"? People here hold AMD to basically every half sentence they ever said and it's just ridiculous.

For the record, when I first started talking about the AotS multi-gpu result, and what that means for a single RX480 I was told to shut up, stop speculating and wait for benchmarks. Now that is pretty much confirmed I don't see many complaints or apologies made to Ieldra for giving him a lot of undeserved crap :p

The FE does have crazy overclocking ability, did he specifically mention the FE or the 1080 btw ?

TECHNICALLY, anything above the BASE CLOCK is an overclock. That's never used though, so consider the boost clock 1733 MHz. 2000Mhz from 1733 is 15%. Sure it ain't quite as "CRAZY" as the insane 40% on a 980Ti that was very common (1500 vs 1075) but still 2ghz is insane. It may be only 15%, but the average end user will see "2000MHz" and that is what will stick.

The 480 would need to hit 1461MHz just to match the OC headroom on an FE 1080. Can the 480 OC 15% on the reference cooler ?

Last edited:
That doesn't say much, relative to what? We've seen the card disassembled, the heatsink is tiny. It ain't magic. You're gonna be looking at 80c with the stock curve probably, maybe that's effective to you. Maybe they're comparing it to the 290x stock cooler

So gtx 1080 got a fancy cooler but it still runs at 80 or so.

when rx480 runs at 80 with a shitty ass cheap ass heatsink that is not okay?

So we can conclude that amd got rx480 to cool the same as gtx 1080 with a shitty as cooler.

Sometimes people need to get over this non sense. If the card is reference it does the damn job and it runs quiet and within safe tempratures what is so wrong with that?

So we can conclude that amd got rx480 to cool the same as gtx 1080 with a shitty as cooler.

Sometimes people need to get over this non sense. If the card is reference it does the damn job and it runs quiet and within safe tempratures what is so wrong with that?

I didn't say it's not okay. I said it's a shitty ass blower cooler. Just like every other shitty ass blower in existence. Usual misdirection here... Worth noting though, that even if TEMPERATURE and RPM is the same on stock 1080 vs stock 480, the fact that 1080 consumes anywhere between 50-80% more power according to who you ask, yet still maintains same temps, says something.

Yes but look at the frame rates you get with that. Knock the 1080 down to RX480 frame rates and then compare. But it's not really an apple to apple comparison

I don't know anything really about the 51% utilization rate to complain about it. But I knew for a fact it was a cherry picked benchmark. I'll compalin about what I know to be false.

yeah ok, both run at ~80C at what %fan speed?. how cooler they can run with a custom fan curve? specially taking in consideration the performance offered I highly doubt the AMD cooelr will be anywhere near of what the Nvidia cooler can offer.

Seriously that's what you're unhappy about?! What about claiming 51% utilization in a crossfire setup? AMD market thinks so highly of their target demographic that they essentially treat them like... dimwits

For the record, when I first started talking about the AotS multi-gpu result, and what that means for a single RX480 I was told to shut up, stop speculating and wait for benchmarks. Now that is pretty much confirmed I don't see many complaints or apologies made to Ieldra for giving him a lot of undeserved crap :p

The FE does have crazy overclocking ability, did he specifically mention the FE or the 1080 btw ?

TECHNICALLY, anything above the BASE CLOCK is an overclock. That's never used though, so consider the boost clock 1733 MHz. 2000Mhz from 1733 is 15%. Sure it ain't quite as "CRAZY" as the insane 40% on a 980Ti that was very common (1500 vs 1075) but still 2ghz is insane. It may be only 15%, but the average end user will see "2000MHz" and that is what will stick.

The 480 would need to hit 1461MHz just to match the OC headroom on an FE 1080. Can the 480 OC 15% on the reference cooler ?

we all know it wont. whats the point here. We are comparing a 700 dollar fanboy edition to 229 dollar card? LOL. Seriously sometimes you totally go against what you say 90% of the time. And now you are bashing a cooler on a cheap ass card that no one has even tested yet. Man this is getting annoying.

I know the cooler is a piece of shit for overclocking. I know its a piece of shit looking. But that piece of shit does that job and keeps the price low and keeps all the oems happy. So that piece of shit just works from what we have seen from reports.

we all know it wont. whats the point here. We are comparing a 700 dollar fanboy edition to 229 dollar card? LOL. Seriously sometimes you totally go against what you say 90% of the time. And now you are bashing a cooler on a cheap ass card that no one has even tested yet. Man this is getting annoying.

I know the cooler is a piece of shit for overclocking. I know its a piece of shit looking. But that piece of shit does that job and keeps the price low and keeps all the oems happy. So that piece of shit just works from what we have seen from reports.

Uh... I didn't bring up the FE. I'm not comparing a $700 card to a $240 card. I'm comparing blower coolers. Jesus. Listen to yourself. I'm not going against what I said at all, SO MANY PEOPLE accuse me of changing my arguments, and I always invite them to quote me on it. No response. Ever.

Quote me on it.

I ain't bashing no cooler, I'm just stating facts; it's not gonna be amazing, it'll "just do".

That said, since someone other than me brought up the FE, I responded. Now while they are BOTH shitty coolers, we don't know how quiet they are relative to each other, we DO know that the FE cards are no worse at OC than the AIB ones, temp throttling aside

LOL fanboys seem to be out in full force today!

Now we have turned to a cheap ass cooler on a cheap ass card. now we are complaining about 80c lol. Man reviews can't come soon enough so we can all just chill.

At the end of the day people will still compare it to 1080 one way or another. I mean you can't compare a cooler on a 700 dollar card to a cooler on a 229 dollar card. Seriously definition of ignorance.

LOL fanboys seem to be out in full force today!

Now we have turned to a cheap ass cooler on a cheap ass card. now we are complaining about 80c lol. Man reviews can't come soon enough so we can all just chill.

At the end of the day people will still compare it to 1080 one way or another. I mean you can't compare a cooler on a 700 dollar card to a cooler on a 229 dollar card. Seriously definition of ignorance.

Oh yes. Apologies for my ignorance mate, I'll try educate myself before posting next time.

Kyle I wan't comparing 100% fan speeds here. lol I was saying people are comparing reference shitty ass cooler to a cooler on high end card. all I was said was I know that cooler is crap but it does the job at stock and you are not paying 700 for a card. If I was paying 300 for it, Yea I would expect a way better cooler.

Well usually there is some room to play even on midrange cards when it comes to temps and fan speeds, noise..... Lets see what happens. I'm not expecting much leeway on the rx480.

Pretty much don't overclock the ref design lol, or very very little.

Well usually there is some room to play even on midrange cards when it comes to temps and fan speeds, noise..... Lets see what happens. I'm not expecting much leeway on the rx480.

Unless it's an FE, in which case, go crazy, you're only limited by temps. :p

Kyle I wan't comparing 100% fan speeds here. lol I was saying people are comparing reference shitty ass cooler to a cooler on high end card. all I was said was I know that cooler is crap but it does the job at stock and you are not paying 700 for a card. If I was paying 300 for it, Yea I would expect a way better cooler.
Well you called it a shitty cooler, when it is not. And I directly addressed the 80c portion of your statement and agreed with you. So what are you trying to argue about now exactly?

The 480 would need to hit 1461MHz just to match the OC headroom on an FE 1080. Can the 480 OC 15% on the reference cooler
?

You compared it directly to 1080 cooler OC wise. Ofcourse 1080 cooler is far superior for a card for that price it better have alot of cooling headroom. Ofcourse rx480 cooler wont overclock 15% on reference. Just not happening the cooler is not designed for it. Its a cheap card designed to handle reference clocks. Thats all there is to it. We can't compare it apples to apples. There are certain expectations set when you pay a certain price. If you are buying an rx480 your expectations of overclocking on that cooler should be really low. Plus people shouldn't be buying this card to overclock if they are going with reference.

$200 is midrange? I don't really think so. It is an entry level gaming card IMO.

Reactions: NKD
like this
ROFL. I was actually calling the RX 480 cooler shitty the whole time. LOL may be I missed a comma or something.

I was saying its a shitty cooler thats doing a decent job at stock stocks. Thats what I meant, my bad!

Uh sure.

I wonder what you call 750 ti and gtx950 then.

those I wouldn't consider gaming cards, at least not on average monitors now. I got a 750ti for my low end system, within 6 months games coming out, it just couldn't keep up, I ended up upgrading it to 970 and left the 750ti in there for phsyx. Monitor resoultion is at QHD *I don't like using anything other than native res* though so yeah it wouldn't be able to push that kind of res.

Oh no Iol. Just could be read that way. Look at my other posts. I was calling the cooler shitty the whole time. You can scroll. I wrote it out of context. I meant rx480 is keeping in the 80s with a shitty as cooler same as gtx 1080.
You wrote it out of context....sure.

My problem with the good AIB cards is by the time they come out usually the next best card is ready. The 480x or 490, whatever it'll be called. So you end up with a special 480 at $260 and a big bump if you spend $300 for the next higher chip (or may get into 1070 territory..). Never mind the 1060 at $179-$229 will probably be out by then.

For the cooler, it's only 120-150W (?). Doesn't exactly need a vapor chamber. If it performs well, price is right, not sure if I care. Looks like the fan spins up to 50% under load. That sounds about right.

All based on rumors of course.

Damn it I did! LOL. Can't believe it hurts when you don't believe me! hahaha. Its all good. I was admitting its a shitty cooler doing a decent job on stock clocks. Anyways you got me!
OK...sure.

Reactions: NKD
like this
My problem with the good AIB cards is by the time they come out usually the next best card is ready. The 480x or 490, whatever it'll be called. So you end up with a special 480 at $260 and a big bump if you spend $300... Never mind the 1060 at $179-$229 will probably be out by then.

For the cooler, it's only 120-150W (?). Doesn't exactly need a vapor chamber. If it performs well, price is right, not sure if I care. Looks like the fan spins up to 50% under load. That sounds about right.

All based on rumors of course.

No AIBs are coming out with cards in like 2 weeks from reports. probably enough time to sell first wave or two of reference cards. You won't have to wait long for it. Knowing nvidia i don't expect gtx 1060 to be that cheap.

Well, ouch.

I mean, QHD is far from average resolution, even though i do have to agree neither of them can push maxed AAA games on acceptable resolution.

I don't know man you can get qhd monitors now for cheap lol.

of course even my low end system isn't your typical low end gamer system so yeah I have some bias there lol.

No AIBs are coming out with cards in like 2 weeks from reports. probably enough time to sell first wave or two of reference cards. You won't have to wait long for it. Knowing nvidia i don't expect gtx 1060 to be that cheap.
To be fair, knowing nvidia i didn't expect the 1080/1070 to be this fast frankly. The norm is that a performance level drops to a lower price point. The 1080/1070 are are significantly faster than reference 980ti/tx

So I expect the 1060 to be significantly faster than a 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back