PCGH - RX 480 fails at 1400MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it hasn't been mentioned (sorry, don't wanna sift through 7 pages), the RX480 is not considered an upgrade over the R9 390. DOA IMO. That might be good for some, but that's really uninteresting to most of us.

Not designed for you. Its not designed for people that already have performance segment cards. Its designed for those with gtx 960s and 750ti stuff. I best RX 470 is a big hit at 179. Killer price there for that card.

DOA? If I had a 390 or 390x I won't upgrade but just because its not for you and me its not DOA. there is a millions of others who don't spend much on cards its for them.

Not designed for you. Its not designed for people that already have performance segment cards. Its designed for those with gtx 960s and 750ti stuff. I best RX 470 is a big hit at 179. Killer price there for that card.

DOA? If I had a 390 or 390x I won't upgrade but just because its not for you and me its not DOA. there is a millions of others who don't spend much on cards its for them.

My card is a potato at this point (HD 7950) but this card doesn't even perform as well as the previous mid-high end. I wasn't asking for a Fury X replacement, I didn't expect that, but just barely the performance of a 390? Really?

My card is a potato at this point (HD 7950) but this card doesn't even perform as well as the previous mid-high end. I wasn't asking for a Fury X replacement, I didn't expect that, but just barely the performance of a 390? Really?

hate much? It will blow past your 7950. IT is probably cheaper than your 7950 when you bought it. Why are you so mad seriously? You don't even have a 390/390x then whats up with the rant? lol

have you seen the reviews? oh they are not out yet.
have you been reading up the rumors and leaks?
most leaks have it around 390x/gtx980

for 229 how is that so bad?

hate much? It will blow past your 7950. IT is probably cheaper than your 7950 when you bought it. Why are you so mad seriously? You don't even have a 390/390x then why are you really so mad? lol

Because AMD is releasing mediocre shit again. $200 for 390 performance? Cool, I could have done that over a year ago with used 290x's or even 390's. They have nothing in response to the GTX 1070/1080 and at this point I don't think they are gonna bring anything good to the table.

Ok the delusional people is real, wow, funny that those of us that call ourselves AMD fans are way less delusionals than those that don't... wow ...

Because AMD is releasing mediocre shit again. $200 for 390 performance? Cool, I could have done that over a year ago with used 290x's or even 390's. They have nothing in response to the GTX 1070/1080 and at this point I don't think they are gonna bring anything good to the table.

And the proper response here is, what does NV have to compete at $200? Or $150? or $100? Answer: Nothing at the moment.

NV rules the high end and is MIA in the mid to low end. Just because you don't think they released a worthy card for you in June (even though they did, if you're using a 7950), it doesn't mean that it's shit. It just means you don't recognize the difference.

And the proper response here is, what does NV have to compete at $200? Or $150? or $100? Answer: Nothing at the moment.

NV rules the high end and is MIA in the mid to low end. Just because you don't think they released a worthy card for you in June (even though they did, if you're using a 7950), it doesn't mean that it's shit. It just means you don't recognize the difference.

nvidia will adjust pricing to match....clearing out their old stock before the 1060 arrives. I bet you'll see 970 and 980 pricing competitive soon. And 980ti pricing will be close to $280 or so. (Above RX480 8gig and below 1070 performance wise)

I still don't get it why you are so mad over low price/half the wattage and performance of card. I don't have a card right now, would you rather have me get a 390x for 350? and twice the power? seriously. Not everyone wants to spend 700 on a card. Get over it, money is not an issue for me but I don't game 4k, 1080p is fine for me. But those who want to have best of the best and game at high resolutions ofcourse I will recommend them to the 1070/1080.

Last edited:
nvidia will adjust pricing to match....clearing out their old stock before the 1060 arrives. I bet you'll see 970 and 980 pricing competitive soon. And 980ti pricing will be close to $280 or so. (Above RX480 8gig and below 1070 performance wise)

They will need to. 970s I can see landing around $220 til they sell out, 980s will settle around $270 and the TIs will settle around $330. In DX11, a TI is nearly identical to a 1070 (both stock and OC). I'd really be surprised if the new MSRP dropped below $330. If that happened, there wouldn't be any reason to get an 8GB 480. However if NV cut it that far, they're margin would be really thin. Like AMD thin.

It's misleading because you can't get any cheaper really. It's not high quality if it's bottom of the barrel cooling.
How exactly is AMD's cooling bottom of the barrel? When its pretty much a vapor chamber cooler with blower fan like nvidias.....At least they didnt add an extra hundred dollars to the msrp. Some of you guys are seriously funny!;)

I dunno, since AMD's non-reference solutions have typically not carried a significant premium, I don't see why people wouldn't wait until mid-July for the AIBs.
Sapphire not releasing a Tri-X for the 480 is a bit odd, but any of the dual or triple fan AIBs would be far more desirable, *if* I were in the market for one of these.

Releasing a cheesegrater, over the typical Tri-X/Nitro coolers is an odd decision, but that's on Sapphire haha.

How exactly is AMD's cooling bottom of the barrel? When its pretty much a vapor chamber cooler with blower fan like nvidias.....At least they didnt add an extra hundred dollars to the msrp. Some of you guys are seriously funny!;)

There are pictures of the cooler internals. There is no vapor chamber/heat pipes and it looks to be the same rifle bearing fan it always was.

In many ways I believe AMD's fans are their worst enemies. They want AMD to succeed so badly they get some pretty crazy rumors going. Then another fan wants to outdo that rumor, then another, and before you know it it's gotten out of control and expectations are so high it can't possibly live up. Next thing you know the reviews come out and the reaction is OMG AMD SUX!

There are pictures of the cooler internals. There is no vapor chamber/heat pipes and it looks to be the same rifle bearing fan it always was.
you realize video card coolers use either one or the other..NOT BOTH lol.....and yes that is a vapor chamber under the fins (I believe) just as the previous cooler had.

you realize video card coolers use either one or the other..NOT BOTH lol.....and yes that is a vapor chamber under the fins (I believe) just as the previous cooler had.

NO there isn't any vapor chamber. It's too expensive for a product in this price category. And YES you can have both in a hybrid approach. But I never said that.

AMD RX 480 Overclocked To 1.6Ghz+, Cooler Tear Down & Production Line Photos Leaked

Read it and weep.

Any way, I was correct. You can't make it much cheaper in design. In other words, bottom of the barrel.

To make it funny check this thread Price Warriors Are Vandalizing GeForce 1080 Reviews
What did Nvidia exactly have to begin with :)
Of course they will gladly lower prices on 28nm stock because that is the only hardware they will be able to sell
In many ways I believe AMD's fans are their worst enemies. They want AMD to succeed so badly they get some pretty crazy rumors going. Then another fan wants to outdo that rumor, then another, and before you know it it's gotten out of control and expectations are so high it can't possibly live up. Next thing you know the reviews come out and the reaction is OMG AMD SUX!
No I would say that some people been posting leaks and rumours before a review would take place. Gambling on these being right is stupid.
Most of the post make no sense including topic starter.
Why would AMD sell cards at 1266/1288 mhz while you see 1400/1600 mhz numbers.

The "haters" in this thread have trouble understanding the difference between rumours and what is common sense.
No AMD fan would post that all the cards really do 1600 mhz because that makes no sense....

Last edited:
NO there isn't any vapor chamber. It's too expensive for a product in this price category. And YES you can have both in a hybrid approach. But I never said that.

AMD RX 480 Overclocked To 1.6Ghz+, Cooler Tear Down & Production Line Photos Leaked

Read it and weep.

Any way, I was correct. You can't make it much cheaper in design. In other words, bottom of the barrel.

What matters is if it can cool the card effectively and quietly. If it can do that using less expensive components and pass that savings on to the consumer, so much the better. Not everybody here enjoys just throwing money at NVidia.

What matters is if it can cool the card effectively and quietly. If it can do that using less expensive components and pass that savings on to the consumer, so much the better. Not everybody here enjoys just throwing money at NVidia.
It's a blower with a tiny heatsink, it won't

Im not going to argue with you anymore...go troll somewhere else!
Since when is posting photographic evidence trolling?

Any way, the effective heat transfer rate in Watts for a given CFM will determine the noise along with the fan choice. Heat pipes work by evaporation because heat of vaporization caries a lot of heat energy with it. Vapor chambers help transfer the heat over a much larger area so you have a greater effective cooling area.

Fan curves are a funny thing and centrifugal blower type fans are great at static pressure, but in an enclosure like this, VERY NOISY.

And when you use a cheap cooler design like this, there is little headroom. The heat transfer rate is non linear to fan speed due to max thermal conductivity on thick surfaces and Newtons law of cooiling (which is also non linear in response). This becomes a complex partial differential simulation to model heat transfer characteristics. For uber thin plate surfaces this isn't so much a problem as you can make an approximation.

With FinFET to get any kind of overclock you will need a large thermal overhead with a high transfer efficiency, or you will really have to crank that fan. This is because with FinFET once you reach a certain voltage threshold, you gain little in performance for a lot of additional heat.

-Signed
-Aerospace Engineer who works with fans and cooling curves all day long

Last edited by a moderator:
Vapor Chamber = Flat Heatpipe (more or less) so how which one of you guys cut the cooler open to verify it doesn't use a vapor chamber? Im not positive it does, but it would make sense for them to use one.

Since when is posting photographic evidence trolling?

Any way, the effective heat transfer rate ni Watts for a given CFM will determine the noise along with the fan choice. Fan curves are a funny thing and centrifugal blower type fans are great at static pressure, but in an enclosure like this, VERY NOISY.

-Signed
-Aerospace Engineer who works with fans and cooling curves all day long

'but.... I've been a hardcore heatsink user for like two years, you must be wrong '

I'll admit, it's harder to come up with one of these when talking about a fans, but this is basically the attitude of most people talking about electronics : (

Unlimited power! Unlimited voltage! I've heard it all in the last few weeks. Madness.

Vapor Chamber = Flat Heatpipe (more or less) so how which one of you guys cut the cooler open to verify it doesn't use a vapor chamber? Im not positive it does, but it would make sense for them to use one.
the picture shows a copper slug.

possibly.....someone did label it as that but without seeing inside it, i cant be positive. Now if they did skimp on using a chamber at all then shame on them.
Wasn't gigabyte showing off their new windforce coolers with vapor exchange taking place in the heatpipes?

Wasn't gigabyte showing off their new windforce coolers with vapor exchange taking place in the heatpipes?
what i do know is coolers using both is extremely rare....mater of fact up till now i have no knowledge any ANY video card coolers that use BOTH. The thing is its would be sorta impractical for a cooler to use both at least on video card sized coolers where the fins are not that tall.

what i do know is coolers using both is extremely rare....mater of fact up till now i have no knowledge any ANY video card coolers that use BOTH. The thing is its would be sorta impractical for a cooler to use both at least on video card sized coolers where the fins are not that tall.

You're right it is VERY rare. But I never claimed both. I said either or with a /

But it does exist
http://celsiainc.com/blog-heat-pipes-and-vapor-chambers-whats-the-difference/ said:
Greater total power and power densities eventually led to multiple heat pipes being used to solve the thermal challenge. Both images below are heat sinks for a small form factor, high performance desktop PC. The one on the left uses a copper base plate in between the heat source and the heat pipes, as is common with heat pipe applications (indirect contact). As processor heat increased in the subsequent generation of this product, the company encountered thermal issues, but did not want to radically redesign the thermal solution as can be seen on the image to the right. Here a vapor chamber replaced the copper base plate, spreading heat more evenly across the heat source and transferring it more effectively to the heat pipes. This is a great example of how both types of two-phase devices can be used together.

Now I know for a fact they didn't use a vapor chamber with a small copper slug in the middle. It would be ineffective. And WCCF who took it apart said there are no heat pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right it is VERY rare. But I never claimed both. I said either or with a /

But it does exist

Now I know for a fact they didn't use a vapor chamber with a small copper slug in the middle. It would be ineffective. And WCCF who took it apart said there are no heat pipes.
lol i can visually see no heat pipes.....but vapor chambers are harder to tell. I stand by what i see, until someone cuts one open.....could be a plate or a small chamber from what i see.

I take what Gibbo says with a grain of salt. He's a retailer. He wants to sell cards. If he said the stock cooler wasn't good and all he had was stock coolers for a few weeks then that might keep people from buying them which hurts his bottom line. It's in his best interest to say it's fine. That applies to AMD and NV and anything else he sells.

No kidding. Is he supposed to say "Well this cooler is marginal, but the card doesn't melt and the GPU only throttles a little"

No kidding. Is he supposed to say "Well this cooler is marginal, but the card doesn't melt and the GPU only throttles a little"

'what kind of standards are these coolers built with in mind? '

' well, the front's not supposed to fall off that's for sure. '

I cant seem to find the picture that had a better look of the fins and how it was situated in relation to the actual gpu die......the fins would dissipate the heat better using a vapor chamber. Looking at the outside of the cooler i cant tell for sure if there's a chamber inside it or not. We get someone to cut the dam thing in half and well know for sure lol:)

Leldra you are now so far into trolling territory with your posting its not even funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back