PCGH - RX 480 fails at 1400MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think we are looking around 980 performance probably. But we know even if its same as rx 480 at stock we are likely to pay nvidia premium for it. That's just the reality. Cant blame nvidia, just like you can't blame apple for having brand loyalty.
True, then again, I think the 480 was meant to be faster than it is, and price higher too

To be fair, knowing nvidia i didn't expect the 1080/1070 to be this fast frankly. The norm is that a performance level drops to a lower price point. The 1080/1070 are are significantly faster than reference 980ti/tx

So I expect the 1060 to be significantly faster than a 980

wait most reviews have 1070 faster around 980ti average. So 1070/1060 will be in 980ti range? Give me one please lol. I doubt it though, nvidia will gimp it like they have always gimped the x60 cards to perform where they want it to.

wait most reviews have 1070 faster around 980ti average. So 1070/1060 will be in 980ti range? Give me one please lol. I doubt it though, nvidia will gimp it like they have always gimped the x60 cards to perform where they want it to.

Looks like you got mixed up typing this, edit incoming?

perfrel_2560_1440.png

14% faster according to this, 1080:TX is 131%

I expect 1060:980 to maintain similar ratio

perfrel_2560_1440.png

Nah, 1080 is 70% faster than 980, 1070 is 61% faster than 970. I don't expect 1060 to be any faster than 980, and even that would be a stretch. 1060s suck ever since they became xx6 chip based.

2000Mhz from 1733 is 15%. Sure it ain't quite as "CRAZY" as the insane 40% on a 980Ti that was very common (1500 vs 1075) but still 2ghz is insane. It may be only 15%, but the average end user will see "2000MHz" and that is what will stick.
He explicitly stated the Founders Edition. The 15% is decent, but definitely not "crazy". Some users here think that anything under 15% is junk and that basically any card should overclock at least 15%. I agree that 2000mhz is impressive, but that is not the discussion here.

The 480 would need to hit 1461MHz just to match the OC headroom on an FE 1080. Can the 480 OC 15% on the reference cooler ?
Who cares? "Crazy" is not defined by what nvidia is doing, or what AMD is not doing, and AMD is not claiming "crazy" Ocability. However, if AMD was taking an additional 70$/100$ for their cooler, then yes - I would expect different things from the cooler.

Mr. Bennett, The 1080 FE at 100% fan is way too loud. It also throttles 5 minutes into it. FE is a reference card as well with a shitty cooler. :)

He explicitly stated the Founders Edition. The 15% is decent, but definitely not "crazy". Some users here think that anything under 15% is junk and that basically any card should overclock at least 15%. I agree that 2000mhz is impressive, but that is not the discussion here.

Who cares? "Crazy" is not defined by what nvidia is doing, or what AMD is not doing, and AMD is not claiming "crazy" Ocability. However, if AMD was taking an additional 70$/100$ for their cooler, then yes - I would expect different things from the cooler.

Nvidia ain't charging a premium for a cooler, they're charging a premium for people who buy early and get price gouged anyway, may as well capitalize on the gratuitous spending. Also, the added cost should be considered normalized wrt the price. 600/500 is 1.2. 20% premium. 20% of 200 is 40$

I was just comparing OC headroom on reference blower coolers that's all

Nah, 1080 is 70% faster than 980, 1070 is 61% faster than 970. I don't expect 1060 to be any faster than 980, and even that would be a stretch. 1060s suck ever since they became xx6 chip based.

What? I'm comparing gp104 to GM200 because usually you get one tier higher performance for the same money.

perfrel_2560_1440.png

Haven't looked at many reviews,. No I wont edit lol. I have been reading forums and almost everyones been like its the same, so its just general assumption i guess. I have seen a few reviews pegging it not as much of an upgrade over 980ti due to 980 ti overclocking more I guess.

But if history is any evidence. Nvidia gimps the x60 series too much. They will do it just so 1070 stands out more.

Haven't looked at many reviews,. No I wont edit lol. I have been reading forums and almost everyones been like its the same, so its just general assumption i guess. I have seen a few reviews pegging it not as much of an upgrade over 980ti due to those overclocking more I guess.

Oh it definitely isn't an upgrade for a 980ti owner, but it sure as hell is a great choice for people who were about to spend $600 on a 980ti a month or so ago. Yes a 980ti is faster when overclocked, but many 1070 owners would never have bought a 980ti in the first place

What? I'm comparing gp104 to GM200 because usually you get one tier higher performance for the same money.
The point is that while gp104 does beat gm200, the distance between even gm204 and gm206 is larger than gm200 and gm204 enough that gp106 would have to pull a miracle to beat gm204.

I beg to differ. In my opinion the 16nm FinFet technolgy and the amout of transitors combined with the Flux capacitors of Nv 1070 and 1080 highly acclaimed FE cards are just not as quick as you like them to be in DX12.. Let me assure you that Battlefield 1 even in its alpha stage runs just like Quantum Break on all the aforementioned cards :D

I beg to differ. In my opinion the 16nm FinFet technolgy and the amout of transitors combined with the Flux capacitors of Nv 1070 and 1080 highly acclaimed FE cards are just not as quick as you like them to be in DX12.

Nice try, I'll give you that! B for effort!

The point is that while gp104 does beat gm200, the distance between even gm204 and gm206 is larger than gm200 and gm204 enough that gp106 would have to pull a miracle to beat gm204.

Gm206 is 50% smaller than gm204

Assuming gp106 is the same, that's 1280 vs 2048 on the 980

1.6x

980 stock 1200mhz

1200x 1.6 = 1920

Doesn't seem too hard honestly, only question is, will the 128bit bus cut it ? Or will it be 192?

1.6x

980 stock 1200mhz

1200x 1.6 = 1920

Doesn't seem too hard honestly, only question is, will the 128bit bus cut it ? Or will it be 192?

192bit have to be yes or yes imo..

I beg to differ. In my opinion the 16nm FinFet technolgy and the amout of transitors combined with the Flux capacitors of Nv 1070 and 1080 highly acclaimed FE cards are just not as quick as you like them to be in DX12.. Let me assure you that Battlefield 1 even in its alpha stage runs just like Quantum Break on all the aforementioned cards :D

Oh god lets please not start the alpha benchmark crap again!! I still see the garbage stats from the Doom alpha circulating around other sites. We all know how that turned out with the actual game.

Oh god lets please not start the alpha benchmark crap again!! I still see the garbage stats from the Doom alpha circulating around other sites. We all know how that turned out with the actual game.

Quantum Break is different, it is designed to linger in a murky alpha/beta state forever. I understand the glee people feel when bringing up QB and how the Fury X is performing close to a 1080, but are you seriously going to use a game that barely runs at 35-40fps at 1080p, on the highest performing hardware available, as a benchmark ?

Not even Crysis ran this badly, and Crysis is still better looking than many games out today. QB isn't even better looking than the games of yesteryear

Last edited:
What's with this fan speed % nonsense? You can't compare percentages at all. It's totally useless. You can compare RPMs between different cards (and still it wouldn't be ideal to make a direct comparison since fan size makes large difference).
Well you can compare ideal profile for GPUs, and then measure noise/etc.
But yeah they will not be the same % or fan speeds when comparing different GPUs.
Why I mentioned roughly 60% (no idea what the RPM is for that but it is not meant to be loud) as the ideal for 1080 at 80degree target, will be interesting to see what the ideal will be for the 480 with its cooling and influence on characteristics/noise/etc.

Importantly though, the 480 from this perspective really should be more compared to the 1070 (where ideal profile may be less aggressive-intrusive), as that is the closest Pascal released so far to the 480.
Cheers

The RX480 fan is slightly smaller than the FE Nv cards. I know it spins about 300- 500 rpm faster than the NV cards. The thing with both coolers is amount of material used on anyone of them. The Nv cooler is not any better than what you see on both Rx480 or Nv 1070/80/ Just as mentioned before in this thread better overclocking with Custom designed cards. Point is, it does not matter 60% or 100% fan profile. Both are too loud on any card. The size plays a role on those type of fans as well i terms of noise. Once you start hearing the high pitched noise the amount of air being pushed drops dramatically. Think, cars tires loosing grip while doing a burn out.

Last edited:

1.6x

980 stock 1200mhz

1200x 1.6 = 1920

I must say I am a bit pessimistic about the 1060 in terms of matching or slightly beating the 980 in all scenarios.
The 970 still had 4 GPC with 3SM on average per GPC.
The 1060 has this reduced to 2 GPC albeit with a full Pascal compliment of 5 SM per GPC.

Also I guess I will be annoyed if they charge a fair chunk for this as well over the 8GB 480.
Nvidia is able to save a fair bit with this GPU, along with using the 192-bit bus.

If 1060 does perform equal to the 980 in general with most scenarios, well that will be me surprised even with its superior clocks.
What may help though is the very latest games and DX12, where both the 970 and 980 now at times can struggle, along with some games and the minimal optimisation or design towards Nvidia hardware - more noticable with some of the recent AAA games released on consoles and then PC.
Cheers

Last edited:
I must say I am a bit pessimistic about the 1060 in terms of matching or slightly beating the 980 in all scenarios.
The 970 still had 4 GPC with 3SM on average per GPC.
The 1060 has this reduced to 2 GPC albeit with a full Pascal compliment of 5 SM per GPC.

Also I guess I will be annoyed if they charge a fair chunk for this as well over the 8GB 480.
Nvidia is able to save a fair bit with this GPU, along with using the 192-bit bus.

If 1060 does perform equal to the 980 in general with most scenarios, well that will be me surprised even with its superior clocks.
Cheers

Slightly unrelated, but it just hit me that the 980ti and 980 perform very similarly in the polygon throughput test in the B3D suite, how is that possible ?

For everyone that said amd hasn't released a mid range card first before hignend. From yours truly hardocp 6870 and 6850 launch LOL. So I guess amd did do it before ;), now Nvidia did suck those days though to be fair.

"AMD is launching its new mainstream performance lineup, the Radeon HD 6800 series. The 6800 cards will offer much more performance at the $179 to $239 price range. We compare the new Radeon HD 6870 and Radeon HD 6850 with AMD and NVIDIA cards and find out which delivers the best gameplay experience and value. The 6800 series we are seeing here today will be the new "mid-level" GPU series. Later this year we will see a 6900 series of GPUs that will represent the high end or enthusiast level cards. Seeing the 5700 series stay intact is somewhat of a testament to the ability of the GPUs."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...w#.V3GE8esrKHt

For everyone that said amd hasn't released a mid range card first before hignend. From yours truly hardocp 6870 and 6850 launch LOL. So I guess amd did do it before ;), now Nvidia did suck those days though to be fair.

"AMD is launching its new mainstream performance lineup, the Radeon HD 6800 series. The 6800 cards will offer much more performance at the $179 to $239 price range. We compare the new Radeon HD 6870 and Radeon HD 6850 with AMD and NVIDIA cards and find out which delivers the best gameplay experience and value. The 6800 series we are seeing here today will be the new "mid-level" GPU series. Later this year we will see a 6900 series of GPUs that will represent the high end or enthusiast level cards. Seeing the 5700 series stay intact is somewhat of a testament to the ability of the GPUs."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...w#.V3GE8esrKHt

Yes they have that and that wasn't the first time they did it either, they did with 3xxx line, the 4xxx line, and the 5xxx line too, but its been a mixed bag for success from AMD, the only time they really hurt nV was with the 4xxx line, that was because nV faltered with the hot and big 2xx line, which nv had to drop prices to the point they took the first loss in many many quarters.

If the stock (reference) 480 actually matches or beats the 390x/980, I'll consider buying it day one. Otherwise, I'm awaiting one with a custom cooler. Not a fan of blower coolers. My expectation is that a stock 480 will be on par with AIB factory overclocked GTX 970s. Anything higher will be a pleasant surprise.

I think the 3XX series and the Fury series confused a-lot of people about polaris. AMD stated it would be a mainstream card, and everyone just assumed it was a 390/390x replacement style gpu. When in fact the RX480/470 is basically replacing the R9-380/R9-380X. Polaris 11 RX460 is the replacement for the 370/370x.

So when talking about Polaris it's easy to forget that the 390 and 390x are well over 30% faster than the next tier down the 380 and 380x. AMD brought 390/390x performance to the next lowest segment down. It doesn't sound very impressive because well it's not. It's not a flagship card, it's 3 tiers down. It is impressive for what it is though.

Flagship- Fury X
Enthusiast-Fury/Nano
Performance-390x/390
Mainstream- 380x/380
Entry- 370x/370

The stock cooler works well enough, but like always if you want to overclock to the max it will limit you, same as the 1080/1070 reference cooler.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Well the 1080 and 1070 % wise do have more overclocking ability, they both have 25% overclockablity (and for the 1070 a bit more) on reference and they still won't really hit the thermal throttling on either card, outside of that, NO ONE should be confused about where the rx480 is going to be placed, AMD has been quite to the point about it.

Many enthusiast argued about what AMD ment yes, but they were really looking forward for a performance card, this isn't that.

Yes they have that and that wasn't the first time they did it either, they did with 3xxx line, the 4xxx line, and the 5xxx line too, but its been a mixed bag for success from AMD, the only time they really hurt nV was with the 4xxx line, that was because nV faltered with the hot and big 2xx line, which nv had to drop prices to the point they took the first loss in many many quarters.

How are the ram on these cards are they inefficient and power hungry?

I have kinda been thinking the gpuz screenshots I have seen with memory at stock seem to be lower on power usage and ones with memory overclock seems to have higher power draw. That's just what I have noticed from gpuz shots with memory overclocks. Just a theory, may be GPUz is not to go by when it comes to power draw and we have to really have someone do it with proper hardware.

well I mean you can overclock with the stock cooler if you like 100% fan speed, haha I prefer quieter solutions :)

Looks like its on par with 980 in both 1080 and 1440. I wonder if the benchmark that NKD posted is really of a AIB card. If it is, what stock clock will they have considerring that XFX reference RX480 is clocked at 132+. What is the stock clock of custom boards and how much headroom will be left.

well I mean you can overclock with the stock cooler if you like 100% fan speed, haha I prefer quieter solutions :)

Well it all about what ya are looking for lol.

rx480 I'm sure you gotta do the same with its max overclock too.

How are the ram on these cards are they inefficient and power hungry?

I have kinda been thinking the gpuz screenshots I have seen with memory at stock seem to be lower on power usage and ones with memory overclock seems to have higher power draw. That's just what I have noticed from gpuz shots with memory overclocks. Just a theory, may be GPUz is not to go by when it comes to power draw and we have to really have someone do it with proper hardware.

I don't remember too long ago lol.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Looks like its on par with 980 in both 1080 and 1440. I wonder if the benchmark that NKD posted is really of a AIB card. If it is what stock clock will they have considerring that XFX reference RX480 is clocked at 132+. What is the stockclock of custom boards and how much headroom will be left.

careful with your wording here :), XFX will actually be offering several different reference model RX480s. 4gb card, 8gb card, 8gb black edition, 8gb black oc edition. Heck they will prolly have black and lblack oc versions of the 4gb card as well.

btw the black oc model is the one with backplate.

Well it all about what ya are looking for lol.

rx480 I'm sure you gotta do the same with its max overclock too.

I think thats probably what he meant. XFX seems to already have a factory oc at 1328. Probably what the stock can handle just before becoming too loud. lol

My last card with a blower (gtx 280) seemed to be a lot cooler at 70% fan speed with about half the noise of 100% speed.....are these newer cards kinda the same way? how high can you set it and still be ok?

edit: btw you going to give us a review on the xfx card when the nda is up?

Razor1, GCN
I think thats probably what he meant. XFX seems to already have a factory oc at 1328. Probably what the stock can handle just before becoming too loud. lol
Yes thats what I meant. We all know what will be out there. Come on people :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back