PC Racing Games.

JadedMaple

Limp Gawd
Hey, after hearing all this buzz about Gran Turismo HD.. I've been wondering if there any decent racing games for the PC. I'm going to be honest here, I really dig NASCAR and I enjoy F1 [ to bad Sony has the rights ]. Google is kinda hit and miss I've found for finding good games so I figured I would post here.

I am looking for something realistic.. and something that looks pretty good.

Also I am looking for a wheel, the G25 is DEFINATLY out of my price range.. I am looking for sub $150 USD/CAD.

Thanks.

I am looking at GTR2, worth my money?

My list of the top PC racing games: GTR1/2, GT:L, rFactor, Colin Mcrae, Toca 1/2/3 (if you like the more arcadey racing).

As for a wheel, I really like my momo racing wheel from logitech, and I got it off of amazon during some deal about a year ago for ~ $60.

btw, I feel your pain about the F1 license. I wish Sony would make it multiplatform :( (not that they ever will. ever.)

JadedMaple said:
Also.. Should I get a 900 degree wheel or a 240 degree etc wheel?

900 would be more realistic, but it doesn't bother me. I draw the line at this wheel really, because if I want any more realism all I need to do is hop in my actual car.

I will recommend a few, these are more along the lines of race sims vs arcade games:

-Live for Speed ( > * )
-GTR/GTR2
-rFactor

Ive played all 3, and really only play LFS on a dailey/weekly basis. I love that game :D

oVerCaffeinated said:
NASCAR Racing 2003 Season
What he said. If you are a NASCAR fan there is no better. Also for F1 you should probably check out F1 Challenge '99 - '02 .

FiZ said:
What he said. If you are a NASCAR fan there is no better. Also for F1 you should probably check out F1 Challenge '99 - '02 .

Only problem is.. Its no longer in stores.. and it says I don't have the right CD..
Actually.. Looks like I found it.

Now I just need to scope out a wheel sub $150 CAD.. the Logitech MOMO Racing Wheel lookings pretty nifty.

Suggestions?

I checked out the Momo vs G25 in Fry's on Sat. The wheel's bigger, shifters/pedals/force improved, but $100 vs $300? I'm a sim n00b and enjoy GTR2 in its out of box arcade assisted mode. So I picked up the Logitech Cordless Rumblepad for $40. If I get into it further, maybe a wheel will be in the cards...Momo for sure.

Yup Live for Speed is probably the most realistic game there is to it...

GTR is a good game but the graphics don't look too good...

Marvelous said:
GTR is a good game but the graphics don't look too good...

really? I think the graphics (at least in 2, I haven't played 1 in a while) look pretty good, especially when you crank the aa + af. There isn't exactly much scenery to speak of though, but then again I think most people have trouble looking at the scenery while negotiating a turn at 180+mph. But my god, the sound....unbelievable sound. For some reason I think that GT:Legends has better graphics than GTR2, but since I'm driving 60s mustangs in that one I think I'm able to check then out a little more since I'm moving so much more slowly :D

As I mentioned before I enjoy my Momo Racing wheel, and if you want to check it out head over to a CompUSA. They usually have some heavily abused test model available to mess around with.

Toga, toga, toga, toga, toga..............

TOCA 3

Really, I'm surprised no one had mentioned it.

Greenwit said:
Toga, toga, toga, toga, toga..............

TOCA 3

Really, I'm surprised no one had mentioned it.
quadnad said:
My list of the top PC racing games: GTR1/2, GT:L, rFactor, Colin Mcrae, Toca 1/2/3 (if you like the more arcadey racing).
hmmm

Echoing the other posts here: if you are after racing simulation then check out Live for Speed, GTR2, or rFactor. If you are after arcade racing then check out Need for Speed: Most Wanted/Underground/Carbon, Flatout 2, 1nsane (free now but with starforce), Trackmania Sunrise/Nations(starforce), TOCA 3 (starforce, but this game has so many racing styles it may be worth the risk), Test Drive Unlimited (once it's out). Also, the G25 is nice. I've been using it for Flatout 2 and GTR2 and it works really well. Momo is certainly the best you'll get for under $100 US. Don't worry, it's a very nice wheel as well.

Found this setup in one of the "post your *blank* setup here" threads, thought you might be interested.

Cockpit02.jpg

And yup, that's GTR2 with the G25.

Pretty cool setup. Id like to have 3 screens, looks like you get an awesome field of view. All I really want to do is be able to see my passenger mirror without turning my head in game. I think I might just buy Track IR, it looks amazing :)

But back on topic:

LFS Patch V + Logitech G25 FTW!

I have the G25(have had the DFP, Racing Momo in the past, but the G25 hands down is the best wheel you can buy in the US. Im sure you can get something amazing from Frex, but for the price, the G25 rocks. Only thing I am considering replacing is the shifter, its just too lose for me, but other then that its awesome.

You have to have a wheel to enjoy any race sim, the better the wheel, the more fun and immersive it becomes :)

sethmo said:
You have to have a wheel to enjoy any race sim, the better the wheel, the more fun and immersive it becomes :)

My bro had the Wingman Formula Force and the feedback felt terrible. It would jerk in the most ridiculous ways. Not to mention the lame material covering the wheel. :( Here's a pic:

B00001W022.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056651916_.jpg

I had more fun w/ a Logitech Dual Action gamepad. :D Is the Momo significantly better than the Wingman (non GP)?

For rally games i would recommend richard burns rally although it takes quite a while to get good at, so for a more arcade style of play i would say rallisport challenge. Both are great games though!

The Momo Racing force is a good wheel for the price. A lot of wheels that have crappy force feedback will jerk the wheel back and forth. You definitely get what you pay for in a wheel.

Good to hear. I'll see about trading in the Cordless Rumblepad in for a MOMO tomorrow.

Toca 3 is awesome
the Trackmania series from Nadeo is good too but doesn't need a wheel. it works better with a gamepad anyway...

I've never bought a racing game for my PC before, and I was just looking at the games mentioned. My PC can handle graphics intensive games like Oblivion and FEAR really really well, so will I have the same level of "ease" with GTR 2?

I'm not looking to buy a wheel at all, but would a controller work better than a keyboard?

Ah I really dont like GTR2. I have it, and its amazing the precision and realistic-ness of the game, but the graphics are a killer for me. Yes, graphics arent everything, but if you are trying to make the worlds most realistic racing video game, you should at least try to make somewhat realistic looking graphics!

Astrogiblet said:
Ah I really dont like GTR2. I have it, and its amazing the precision and realistic-ness of the game, but the graphics are a killer for me. Yes, graphics arent everything, but if you are trying to make the worlds most realistic racing video game, you should at least try to make somewhat realistic looking graphics!

What, for the PC, is the best looking racing game then?

Khaydarin said:

*best* is relative.. The only racing games I've played on the PC besides need for speed games are GTR2.. GTR2 does not look at all realistic to me.

Khaydarin said:
I've never bought a racing game for my PC before, and I was just looking at the games mentioned. My PC can handle graphics intensive games like Oblivion and FEAR really really well, so will I have the same level of "ease" with GTR 2?

I'm not looking to buy a wheel at all, but would a controller work better than a keyboard?
I find using the mouse to steer is a lot easier then using the keyboard keys. Before my wheel setup I tried both a keyboard and a mouse and found the mouse a lot more accurate. Only bad thing, if you get into an intense 5+ lap race, my hand always cramped up as I found myself putting a lot of pressure on the mouse to get an accurate steer haha.

If your wanting a controller, Id say a PS2 or Xbox 360 controller will have the best analog sticks for a racing game.

^Thanks. I have an Optical Trackball (Kensington) so hopefully my hand wont cramp up.

Can someone answer my question of...."What is the best looking racing game for the PC"?

Khaydarin said:
"What is the best looking racing game for the PC"?

I think either need for speed carbon or most wanted depending on what your looking for. Great night scenes and good looking widescreen hack, go with carbon, if you are looking for the most realistic looking scenery and cars, look at most wanted. I think the two are pretty tied.. Not sure about other games listed above that are supposed to be like "simulation" games whether they look good or not.

Oh, and for me, one of the major downfalls of GTR 2, and a lot of simulation type games, is there is just TOO much to adjust. There are literally HUNDREDS of different options and setups you can change for each car.. you literally have to be a automotive engineer to actually figure out the benefits of them all. It would take hundreds of hours to get each car perfectly the way you want it. Which to me isnt fun.

Not to mention the menu's are untidy. I think there is 3 different places you can adjust video options to turn up specific settings.

And the cars.. I personally dont like driving racing looking cars in games. I like to drive street cars in racing games. I would love to drive a corvette, mercielago, etc, but not the racing or le mans versions of these cars.

Astrogiblet said:
Oh, and for me, one of the major downfalls of GTR 2, and a lot of simulation type games, is there is just TOO much to adjust. There are literally HUNDREDS of different options and setups you can change for each car.. you literally have to be a automotive engineer to actually figure out the benefits of them all. It would take hundreds of hours to get each car perfectly the way you want it. Which to me isnt fun.

Not to mention the menu's are untidy. I think there is 3 different places you can adjust video options to turn up specific settings.

And the cars.. I personally dont like driving racing looking cars in games. I like to drive street cars in racing games. I would love to drive a corvette, mercielago, etc, but not the racing or le mans versions of these cars.

Perhaps you should've read a few of the reviews then. Or did you not play the first? GTR2 is meant to be a hardcore simulation; you can adjust everything if you want, or otherwise you can just download profiles from online that others have made to best match the car to the circuit. Hell, they've even got a massive tutorial section covering almost every aspect of driving properly as well as per-track tutorials.

I somewhat agree about the menus. They are certainly confusing at first, but once you've set your controls and video options, you're done.

Finally, I think you really should have played the first GTR or at least looked at the box art for the game before you bought it if you don't like driving race cars. It's an FIA GT racing sim.

Anyway, I would like to see a Gran Turismo or Forza kind of game to come to the PC. More than that, I'd prefer to see the F1 license out of Sony's hands...

quadnad said:
Perhaps you should've read a few of the reviews then. Or did you not play the first? GTR2 is meant to be a hardcore simulation; you can adjust everything if you want, or otherwise you can just download profiles from online that others have made to best match the car to the circuit. Hell, they've even got a massive tutorial section covering almost every aspect of driving properly as well as per-track tutorials.

I somewhat agree about the menus. They are certainly confusing at first, but once you've set your controls and video options, you're done.

Finally, I think you really should have played the first GTR or at least looked at the box art for the game before you bought it if you don't like driving race cars. It's an FIA GT racing sim.

Anyway, I would like to see a Gran Turismo or Forza kind of game to come to the PC. More than that, I'd prefer to see the F1 license out of Sony's hands...

I got the game from a friend, just the files, not the box or anything. So there was no chance for that, but I did give the game an honest effort. I did not ever play the first GTR.

Gran turismo would be an awesome game to come to the PC.

Seriously, the changing about of setups is a major part of a sim racer. If you tune your setup to your driving style, your times will show on the track. Me, like a lot of others, do not know exactly what to do for all the settings. What I do is start with a good base, a setup pre-made by someone else, I test it out, and go from there. Once I find a setup that fits my style of driving I will just tweak it a bit, maybe adjust the tire pressure, camber, and the brake bias, other then that I dont get deep into adjustments.

If you race online in LFS, just have somebody send you a setup. I never really got into GTR2, I only have played the demo, Ive been meaning to pick up the full game though.

Khaydarin said:

Astrogiblet said:
I think either need for speed carbon or most wanted depending on what your looking for

Not even close. TOCA 3 looks SO much better than those pieces of crap.

tocaracedriver320050915sj1.jpg

toca3006largeka2.jpg\

toca3005largebc8.jpg

toca4fv2.jpg

tocaracedriver320050915lw4.jpg

8862sa2.jpg

tocaen3.jpg

3296aj1.jpg

1990fg6.jpg

2yv6.jpg

Back