• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pc becomes laggy

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
4,312
So my PC randomly becomes laggy. If i'm playing music it will freeze on the sound and keep repeating (rapidly). If you move the mouse across the screen it will skip. CPU usage shoots up to 60-90% on my Quad core (3.4ghz). However other times (like now) it's chilling at 2-8% and totally fine.

I just loaded up DeadRising2 and it ran smoothly. During that time my CPU shot up to about 55% (~49c). I've just installed the most recent drivers for my GTX 260. I just clicked on iTunes a few times and it went crazy each time. It has done this even when itunes isn't running.

Anyone have any ideas how to stop this?
 
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.
 
I ran PC Doctor 7.5 and it failed the JMicron JMB36x PCI test. This is a newly installed Rosewill eSata card (2 esata, 2 sata). Now I haven't noticed these problems before i installed that so these issues could be caused by this. The only thing I have hooked up to it is my CD Drive (which works fine). All 6 of my HD's are hooked up to the onboard sata.

I'll end up taking this card out but then I won't have room to plug my CD drive in. I think it's possible that it's a driver issue. The drivers on Rosewills' site didn't install so I had to download them from some site.

I've ran multiple virus/spyware scans and it's all clean. I intend on starting the PC Doctor HD test shortly.
 
Hmm...I found out that the pc works fine when there's a CD in the drive. The CD Drive is the only thing connected to the sata card.

Once I take the cd out it's all messed up.
 
That's gotta be the weirdest thing I've heard this month.
 
If you didn't already, download the latest drivers from the JMicron site (1.17.59) for your chip.

Read the Release Note and decide which "package" you want to use.

Looks like they fixed some issue with a Samsung optical drive in the latest version.

I've noticed some SATA/eSATA expansion cards don't play nice with optical drives and you may want to consider changing ports.
 
Back
Top