Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your bow or arrow ability already has elemental damage, the Weapon Elemental passives do help.

Anyone wanna give me a quick note what makes this game sooo much better than diablo 3? (im coming from diablo 3)

I feel this game screams guild wars 2 to me. ie. overhyping a game by spamming the world "free" everywhere

Anyone wanna give me a quick note what makes this game sooo much better than diablo 3? (im coming from diablo 3)

I feel this game screams guild wars 2 to me. ie. overhyping a game by spamming the world "free" everywhere

This game is more like a Diablo game than Diablo 3. PoE really has a Diablo 2 feel to it. Basically if you liked D2 style then you should like PoE.

PoE isn't in the same league as any Diablo game.

Try starting at the beginning of the thread.

This game is more like a Diablo game than Diablo 3. PoE really has a Diablo 2 feel to it. Basically if you liked D2 style then you should like PoE.

Yep. I think it's a matter over which Diablo you enjoyed more, Diablo 2 or Diablo 3, as PoE is closer to D2 than D3 is, in my opinion.

A lot more customization and the freedom to make your character the way you want. Massive stat/skill tree and better game mechanics in my opinion. It feels more like D2 than D3 does.

Guild Wars 2 isn't a free game. Path of Exile actually is a free game. The $60 you paid up front for GW2 should have tipped you off that the game wasn't free despite what you may have read.

Pretty much all the 'hype' around PoE comes from players that like the game and spread the word with forum threads like this one; the developers have done almost no advertising for it other than a banner ad on a couple of RPG sites, the lead dev joining a couple of different streamers (Kripparian and TotalBiscuit) to talk about the game, and this weeks press tour to promote the open beta launch.

As for why you should give it a go? As someone who played D2 for years (SC and HC), I can safely say that this game has the same "feel" - you know, that thing that people told us as nostalgic nonsense when we said D3 wasn't good enough. They've done interesting things like hiring Brother Laz (of MedianXL mod fame) to design unique items for the game, etc. There's a reason they have over 150 "diamond" supporters ($1000+), and it's because a lot of ARPG fans really believe in what the devs are doing.

Well what makes PoE have extra shelf life in comparison to Diablo 3 is that things in PoE are much more permanent that D3. You can respec but at what cost in time? Is it not better to reroll a different Ranger than try to grind respec mats for 30 levels. Plus it's fun to do low level areas as they are randomly generated to a degree. You know there is a dungeon to the south but you never know exactly where it is. So there's an element of surprise to the game on every play through. In D3 it's only a question of do I get the treasure goblin around this corner or the next.

In D3 to respec you just swap skills. OK I'll hit the mob with a blue ball for now and I'll respec to toss red balls on the fly if I get bored. Hmm blue lightning or red? Swapping skills for the situation made D3 so easy that the developers ended up tying incentives to drop rates to keep you from trivializing the content more. And people cried because it made the game too hard. Difference in PoE audience compared to D3 audience. :)

In PoE if you spec melee and run across a mob that is "hard" for melee to kill, it's up to you to learn it's pattern and weaknesses. It's on you to figure out what you need to do to defeat it and avoid to survive. When you've mastered the fight you feel good and a sense of oneness with the developer for exposing you to an exhilarating fight.

In D3 to ramp up the difficulty they would make the mob 1 shot you if you got touched. Stand there marveling at the affixes on an elite wondering, "How much damage does it do?" Eat one hit and you're pushing up daisies. This design is what attracted over 6 million players to Diablo 3. Difference in design philosophy I suppose. Nothing wrong with Super Meatboy's design as 6 million in sales says a lot, but damn it was annoying to a lot of us. Of course one class or 2 could eat the damage and never drop below 90% health. Those players would evangelize to the rest of us that it was good design. For the rest of the classes it was another trip to the AH for better gear as your skill level is solely based on gear checks.

In D3 if you wanted the best gear you whipped out your best credit card and bought it. In PoE you whip out your best game face and grind mats to make it. Of course in D3 you might once in a blue moon sell something on the AH and get enough gold to finance your next upgrade. So you didn't need a CC if you were blessed at birth by Tykhe. For the rest of us it was grind gold to buy a trivial upgrade. Which was fine until you armory someone with 80 times the dps you have.

I remember grinding gold for for many, many hours to buy enough gear to get 20k dps in D3 on my Wizard. I was so proud of myself. I was calling family members and bragging. Looked on a new website and saw people with 450,000 dps. One piece of their gear was over 2 billion gold. Seen other trying to sell gear for 7 billion gold each. I thought I was rich with 200,000 gold at the time. I miss D3 so much...

Does this mean that PoE is perfect? No, it's a work in progress. Just that it's progress is light years beyond D3's. I know that a very subjective statement, but who's project manager quit because they ran out of ideas and were outdone by an unknown indie studio? Who allows you to run randomly generated maps for end game? Which company can I jump in today and pit my arena team against another arena team. I rest my case. :)

No point in comparing the games as though they have more than the same genre in common, because they really don't.

Character customization is alive and well in PoE, and it accomplishes that through a couple of significant ways: the semi-permanent Passive Skill Tree (respecs available 1 point at a time, attained through quest rewards and through single-use orbs), and equipment that actually has attribute requirements (you can't just give your Witch a giant 2h axe unless you spend passive points accordingly). On top of that, the itemization is as deep as can be with all sorts of things to consider. On top of THAT, you earn and find skill gems that you socket and level up materia-style.

As for animation, GGG doesn't have the same resources that Blizzard has and they don't have motion-capture tech so it certainly isn't on the same level as D3. PoE attacks also rely on accuracy, which is something D3 did away with completely. D3 as an action-adventure game would be completely fine because it has great action, but it's supposed to be an ARPG and that's where it falls flat. The action in PoE isn't as fluid, sure, but its ARPG elements are the deepest around and that's what really matters when it comes to longevity and replayability. Oh, and random maps too, lol.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Close to Diablo 2. (period)

But it looks like fun nonetheless. There is no D3 in my world, doesn't exist.

Its truly free. All you need is to download roughly 4GB of data and you are good to go come next week. You don't need to buy anything, and you can try it out yourself.

It has a different approach to things like skills, so do ask around to get an idea of how the game works so you can get its full experience, and decide for yourself if its good. If its good, it still remains free unless you wish to spend on cash shop items. :p

So there's really no reason why anyone shouldn't try it out. I hope everyone would try it out.

Poe is such a shameless, blatant Diablo clone that it is almost ridiculous to question which game is more like Diablo.

Diablo 3 is a Diablo game made by world of Warcraft developers. Poe is Diablo re-made by shameless copycats. Both are close relatives of diablo. Which game is better is up to the player. Clearly a lot of people are angry at Diablo 3, so maybe there is fire behind that smoke.

Poe is such a shameless, blatant Diablo clone

Really dude, have you even played the game? Even then why are you making this sound like such a bad thing? There is a market for an ARPG and GGG is delivering a AAA title. I am so tired of everyone accusing an new ARPG of just being a Diablo ripoff. Diablo wasn't even the first ARPG. Its a genre with specific core elements that make it the type of game it is...

Best part is your are bitching about something that is going to be free for everyone... You can pour 100s of hours into this game not have a pay a dime to the "shameless" developers...

Just got my Beta key...thanks for this thread guys...looking forward to playing...
Are we going to have a HARD group?

Poe is such a shameless, blatant Diablo clone that it is almost ridiculous to question which game is more like Diablo.

Diablo 3 is a Diablo game made by world of Warcraft developers. Poe is Diablo re-made by shameless copycats. Both are close relatives of diablo. Which game is better is up to the player. Clearly a lot of people are angry at Diablo 3, so maybe there is fire behind that smoke.

But...that's wrong. Poe has completely different classes, different settings, monsters, story, completely different skill system, completely different character progression system, and the items/gear are different as well. Pretty much the only thing they have in common is they're both isometric arpg and you click on things to do stuff.

microtransactions for extra stuff ingame and that, they already made millions of all the supporter packs so dont worry.

But...that's wrong. Poe has completely different classes, different settings, monsters, story, completely different skill system, completely different character progression system, and the items/gear are different as well. Pretty much the only thing they have in common is they're both isometric arpg and you click on things to do stuff.

The best part is that we have an incredibly deep ARPG to play in PoE, so we can ignore the shameless, blatant trolling because this particular ARPG hasn't created a legion of bitter players.

Btw, someone made a GGG Tracker for developer forum posts: http://www.gggtracker.com/. Definitely handy!

microtransactions for extra stuff ingame and that, they already made millions of all the supporter packs so dont worry.

Well they are going to sell pets in the cash shop for one. More bank slots also. If you want to make a closed invite only league for a competition then you can rent server space from them. Cosmetic stuff too.

The cosmetic stuff will be things like sparkle trails for your wand, blood dripping from daggers and codpieces made from turtle shells

I realize that the open beta starts in two days but does anyone know of any way to get a closed beta key to use beforehand? I'd like to try to learn the game a bit before the open beta starts. I always hate building a character and then having to restart because I did something stupid.

I realize that the open beta starts in two days but does anyone know of any way to get a closed beta key to use beforehand? I'd like to try to learn the game a bit before the open beta starts. I always hate building a character and then having to restart because I did something stupid.

Yea, it's not much fun is it?

I believe there are items in the game which you can use to re-spec.

Orb of Regret allows a sinlge level respec. Several quests offer respec points as well. My last character had 14 raw respec points and about 20 Orbs of Regret. Enough to undo 34 levels, if I had made mistakes.

You know the craziest thing about this game? And the one thing i'm most looking forward to?

It's about to hit open BETA, and PvP is already in the game.

And it's within HC rules? You get PKed and you start over?

I'm not sure if HC CT is available at the launch of open beta (need confirmation). They run events for it, though.

HC deaths move your character to softcore, minus what gets looted off your corpse by the person that kills you.

im def. going to give this a whirl but i think one of things that might keep me from playing long term is the animations. after release they really need to go back and redo them with some higher quality motion capture or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back