Patch alert: Microsoft Acknowledges Printer Bug; Forced 1709 Upgrades Continue

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Patch Tuesday problems roll out, with a new acknowledgment from Microsoft about a dot matrix printer bug, continued reports of Win10 1703-to-1709 upgrades, one unconfirmed report of a forced 1607-to-1709 upgrade, and a memory violation error with CDPUserSvc. I posted an article on Friday that talked about the dot matrix printer problem, but it appears Microsoft added a few more "features" to the last patch Tuesday package. One that jumps out at me is that it looks like Microsoft is ignoring the wait for "Current Branch for Business" setting and people are getting the latest update. Not cool.

Until Microsoft gets its act together, the only solution is to uninstall the latest security patch and hide it so Windows won’t install it again. While you’re at it, consider whether the gain from patching on Patch Tuesday outweighs the schadenfreude of watching others go down in flames.

Somewhere in the bowels of Microsoft, where they keep their most evil employees, someone just read that and said "challenge accepted".

That is definitely a "Pointed Hair Boss" (Dilbert) if I ever head one.

I liked when my unsuspecting customers recieved the "forced" upgrade from 7 to 10. It paid for my second summer home. Praise Micro$oft.

When Microsoft is made financially liable for forcing poorly tested software on people against their will, then Microsoft will change. Until then, this will be a recurring story. The computer/software industry claimed they needed a break from liability laws when the industry was new. Looking at the Fortune 100 list, don't think they need those protections any more but now they have millions to spread around to keep those protections in place.

Are dot matrix printers still a thing?

Yes, it's the easiest way for duplication on invoices and support continuous feeding and work for ever (i know of 6 companies that use them)

i did mention in the uk digital storage is been accepted by HMRC for quite some time now (we have to keep invoices and year end stuff and financial documentation for 7 years I believe) as to why some companies have lots of warehouses to store them (they should be progressively moving to digital storage)

Interesting.

They are forcing upgrades to 1709 now?

I hadn't noticed.

The four Windows 10 Pro installs (2 desktops, one laptop, one VM) in my house are all still on 1607, with no sign of any updates coming.

Didn't even get the first creators update.

Current Branch for Buisness doesn't exist anymore. 1607 was the last CBB build, after that everything is semi-anual.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx said:
Microsoft has updated its servicing model. The Semi-Annual Channel is a twice-per-year feature update release targeting around March and September, with 18-month servicing timelines for each release. The Semi-Annual Channel replaces the Current Branch (CB) and Current Branch for Business (CBB) concepts starting with Windows 10, version 1703, which released for broad deployment on July 27, 2017. Windows Update for Business deferral policies based on broad deployment readiness should be calculated from that date.[\quote]

I'd hope that people would have known this.

I've gone down in flames twice this year. The Spring update rendered my SSD system disk into only booting to BIOS. The second time, when I tried to go to 1709, told me that I had to manually remove my McAfee HIPS program !!! Ummm, sorry M$, I have never installed anything from McAfee on any of my PCs. The techies at M$ are still scratching their heads on that one. They promised me that they would call back last week with a solution. Still waiting... ZzZZzzZz.

One side bug in Fall Creators Update is the rename function in Small Icon View no longer works. All other views are not affected. Microsoft is going to fix it, "in six months".

I know one day I'll be forced to install Windows 10 or whatever its successor is called at that time. But on that day I will set my router to block all communication with Windows 10 Update servers. They won't ever push anything to me that I don't want.

In the mean time, I stick to Windows 7.

Current Branch for Buisness doesn't exist anymore. 1607 was the last CBB build, after that everything is semi-anual.

I'd hope that people would have known this.

I don't know.

Windows release cycle just isn't that important or relevant to me to dedicate any bandwidth to.

All I know is that every goddamned time Microsoft releases a new build I have to go through and change my privacy settings and try to come up with a new way to disable Cortana AGAIN.

If they try to trick me into signing up for a Microsoft account again, instead of using local only logins, I swear to God....

It's amazing a less sane person, less committed to non-violence than myself hasn't firebombed the entirety of the Redmond campus yet, since the release of Windows 10...

I know one day I'll be forced to install Windows 10 or whatever its successor is called at that time. But on that day I will set my router to block all communication with Windows 10 Update servers. They won't ever push anything to me that I don't want.

In the mean time, I stick to Windows 7.
Good luck buying new hardware and using Windows 7. :)

Like most people, non-gamers and video encoders, don't really need new hardware. I have been wanting to build a new PC but have absolutely no reason to upgrade my 6 year old i7 2600. It is still running Windows 8.1, stable as a rock and the only updates I get are security updates. My 750ti does fine for the one game I play.

Interesting.

They are forcing upgrades to 1709 now?

I hadn't noticed.

The four Windows 10 Pro installs (2 desktops, one laptop, one VM) in my house are all still on 1607, with no sign of any updates coming.

Didn't even get the first creators update.

Well how about that.

When I came after work today and booted up in Windows it looks like it is downloading 1703. Not 1709 though...

I anticipate that once this is done and I reboot there will be much cursing.

Last edited:
Well how about that.

When I came after work today and booted up in Windows it looks like it is downloading 1703. Not 1709 though...

I anticipate that once this is done and I reboot there will be much cursing.

Ugh, looks like I am getting two in a row.

Well, at least I'm getting the pain out of the way...

upload_2017-11-20_23-33-20.png

Ugh, looks like I am getting two in a row.

Well, at least I'm getting the pain out of the way...

View attachment 43856

Alright, we are in 1709.

Fucking multiple new apps installed I didn't ask for, many of the not uninstallable. Set Microsoft on fire.

The good news? I just went through two upgrades (1607 -> 1703 and 1703 -> 1709) and at least neither upgrade overwrote my Grub install this time. Also, through some miracle of good fortune, Cortana didn't re-appear after this upgrade. Woo?

Now if I could only get rid of all this extraneous bullshit the update installed...

upload_2017-11-21_0-44-23.png

edit:

Why the fuck is VMWare Player pre-installed and not removable?

upload_2017-11-21_0-50-8.png

Other things I would be happy if I could remove please:

- Alarms & Clock
- Calculator
- Camera
- Get Help
- Groove Music
- Mail and Calendar
- Maps
- Messaging
- Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Store
- Mixed Reality Viewer
- Movies and TV
- Paint 3D
- People
- Photos
- Spotify (I know I didn't install this. It says I can uninstall it but it doesn't work)
- Sticky Notes
- VMWare Player
- Voice Recorder
- Xbox
- Xbox Game Speech Window

I want this bullshit gone. Microsoft has no business preinstalling junk on my computer, but at the very least let me get rid of the garbage, and not just gone from my user, but it shows up when you create a new user. I want this bullshit wiped from my fucking computer. Erdaicated.

Microsoft should stick to making the operating system and ONLY the operating system. I don't want ANY of their bullshit applications, now or ever.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_0-50-0.png
    upload_2017-11-21_0-50-0.png
    323.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Also,

Looks like you can now only disallow downloads from other PC's. NOT uploads.

Read. You are a host for Microsofts update system whether you want it or not.

I'm glad I only boot up into windows to play a game, and then quickly shut it down after. This is total bullshit.

upload_2017-11-21_1-13-16.png

Also,

I'm glad I only boot up into windows to play a game, and then quickly shut it down after. This is total bullshit.

View attachment 43861

And to think you'd imagine Microsoft couldn't make things any worse....

For anyone that applies major updates by manually downloading the update and installing it thinking that's the better way to do things, my advice is don't - Let the [shudder] updater do it. I've got a clients PC here, they manually applied the latest update to 1709, there's a patch in there that stuffs certain HP printers (documents leave the print queue never to be seen again). I couldn't uninstall just the patch as the updater wasn't used to install the update and I couldn't roll back the update as the updater wasn't used to apply the update. $400.00 later to diagnose the issue and back up the client's user profile, magnitude of important emails, image the HDD 'just in case' and format and reinstall an older version of Windows and all is now good again.

This concept of a Windows rolling release is an outright joke, Windows just isn't built for it.

Also,

View attachment 43861
ok this is bullshit! My wifes laptop is windows10 and I grudgingly bail her out when it gets fubar'ed BUT the house bandwidth is mine. I have it to deal with gaming etc NOT so the house can act as a poor torrent seed due to poor infra

ok this is bullshit! My wifes laptop is windows10 and I grudgingly bail her out when it gets fubar'ed BUT the house bandwidth is mine. I have it to deal with gaming etc NOT so the house can act as a poor torrent seed due to poor infra

Hah! MS automatically ended your rant! Who says this system isn't working for them? ;)

Alright, we are in 1709.

Fucking multiple new apps installed I didn't ask for, many of the not uninstallable. Set Microsoft on fire.

The good news? I just went through two upgrades (1607 -> 1703 and 1703 -> 1709) and at least neither upgrade overwrote my Grub install this time. Also, through some miracle of good fortune, Cortana didn't re-appear after this upgrade. Woo?

Now if I could only get rid of all this extraneous bullshit the update installed...

View attachment 43858

edit:

Why the fuck is VMWare Player pre-installed and not removable?

View attachment 43860

Other things I would be happy if I could remove please:

- Alarms & Clock
- Calculator
- Camera
- Get Help
- Groove Music
- Mail and Calendar
- Maps
- Messaging
- Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Store
- Mixed Reality Viewer
- Movies and TV
- Paint 3D
- People
- Photos
- Spotify (I know I didn't install this. It says I can uninstall it but it doesn't work)
- Sticky Notes
- VMWare Player
- Voice Recorder
- Xbox
- Xbox Game Speech Window

I want this bullshit gone. Microsoft has no business preinstalling junk on my computer, but at the very least let me get rid of the garbage, and not just gone from my user, but it shows up when you create a new user. I want this bullshit wiped from my fucking computer. Erdaicated.

Microsoft should stick to making the operating system and ONLY the operating system. I don't want ANY of their bullshit applications, now or ever.

You can Powershell pretty much every builtin app out of Windows 10 even if there isn't an official uninstaller app for it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-uninstall-remove-restore-built-apps-windows-10

I know, "But I shouldn't have to do it that way!" Cry me a fucking river.

Anyone else get the "A critical process has stopped" error after the upgrade? Not even a minidump left behind.

You can Powershell pretty much every builtin app out of Windows 10 even if there isn't an official uninstaller app for it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-uninstall-remove-restore-built-apps-windows-10

I know, "But I shouldn't have to do it that way!" Cry me a fucking river.

Is this still the case though? I did this in the first couple of releases (they always came back) but when 1607 came out and I tried, I just got the red error message that I didn't have permission in powershell.

I am going to try this, but even if successful I won't be happy. Yes, I shouldn't have to do this, but if it were only a matter of doing it once per install I'd get over it. With the rolling release model, we are talking about having to fix these things twice a year, which makes me want to whack my head against a wall.

I couldn't agree more. Luckily I have gobs of bandwidth and probably won't notice, but still, it's the principle of the thing.

I have yet to confirm that this is actually what is happening, but why else would they change the wording on this screen?

Also, I would love to get a Microsoft Surface Pro, and stick a sim card in it for some mobile data action when I'm on the go, but the fact that Ms has removed the metered data connection block (some updates download automatically without consent even over metered connections) means I am too scared to ever use anything with Windows over a metered connection. At $10 per GB just one update could cost me some real money.

Is this still the case though? I did this in the first couple of releases (they always came back) but when 1607 came out and I tried, I just got the red error message that I didn't have permission in powershell.

I am going to try this, but even if successful I won't be happy. Yes, I shouldn't have to do this, but if it were only a matter of doing it once per install I'd get over it. With the rolling release model, we are talking about having to fix these things twice a year, which makes me want to whack my head against a wall.
Even with admin Powershell?

Thanks, when I update past my 4770K, I'll need it. This will probably be the day when I update to Windows 10. Trust me, this problem has already taken money from the mouths of Asus, Intel, and others that would have benefited when I would have already upgraded were it not for the lack of Windows 7 support.

Looks like most of them are removable, but some not. Funny since Cortana was not "a part of windows" in the first two releases...

upload_2017-11-21_22-10-20.png

Also cannot remove Edge, Miracast, XboxGameCallableUI, Bioenrollment, and a few others.

Last edited:
Looks like most of them are removable, but some not. Funny since Cortana was not "a part of windows" in the first two releases...

View attachment 43942

Also cannot remove Edge, Miracast, XboxGameCallableUI, Bioenrollment, and a few others.

So, even after accepting my command and telling me it removed the other apps, like Messaging, Maps, etc. They still haven't disappeared from my system, even after a reboot.

What a goddamned sham.

I cannot express how incensed it makes me that Microsoft wants to force their crap on me. it is MY goddemned computer, and I should be able to decide if I want a maps app, or a sticky notes app, or VMWare player on it. God fucking damnit does this piss me off. :rage::rage::rage:

So, even after accepting my command and telling me it removed the other apps, like Messaging, Maps, etc. They still haven't disappeared from my system, even after a reboot.

What a goddamned sham.

I cannot express how incensed it makes me that Microsoft wants to force their crap on me. it is MY goddemned computer, and I should be able to decide if I want a maps app, or a sticky notes app, or VMWare player on it. God fucking damnit does this piss me off. :rage::rage::rage:

I just love the fact that I don't have to deal with this on my personal machine anymore! ;)

Also,

View attachment 43861

im on a student version which has the maximum delays available as far as i know.

im currently on 1703 build 15063. It says uploads/downloads. I'm NOT going to upload shit 24/7 to others for free.

How do i completely disable all windows updates, forever? fuck this.

im on a student version which has the maximum delays available as far as i know.

im currently on 1703 build 15063. It says uploads/downloads. I'm NOT going to upload shit 24/7 to others for free.

You can disable the Windows Updater service. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

Looks like I was wrong.

While they changed th everbiage on that page to suggest you can't, it still apparently obeys it if you disable it. False alarm.

Seems like a pretty bad idea. Security patches and all that...

When it comes to Windows 10 Home and forced driver updates borking everything with no control over the updater available to the end user, sometimes you don't have a choice.

Even editing the registry to block certain driver updates doesn't really work all that well.

This is where the concept of forced updating to keep Windows up to date is a fail of epic proportions.

Back