Passive 2080ti, WTF? is this legit?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by M76, Dec 2, 2019.

1. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Dayaks likes this.
  2. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Looks like a blower without the blower.

Passive isn’t going to work out very well lol. Interesting the 2x8pin are out the back of the card.

Armenius likes this.
  3. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

Well, "passive" doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't need airflow over it's heatsink. It simply means that it doesn't provide that airflow itself.

Think of some of those OEM office systems that use a passive CPU heatsink, but have a plastic duct routing air from a case intake fan over to the CPU heatsink instead. This could be similar. Even if you simply built your system with positive air pressure (more intake fans vs exhaust fans), then you will have air escaping your system any way it can, and would probably exhaust at least some of the heat from that heatsink as the air uses the holes in the mounting bracket as an exhaust.

HockeyJon, Algrim, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  4. Mega6

Mega6 2[H]4U

GPU - 14000 MHz

5. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

This would have been my guess, lower power version.

6. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

Passive has much wider fin pitch. That's definitely not passive...
    E.g. my 939 scythe ninja is about 8mm spacing and why they are still some of the quietist cooling vs noise sinks even today. They were designed to be passive.

Anything can be passive. Just most people don't care or want a 4kg cooler for fanless passive 300W lol.

How much is it?

Dark12 and Armenius like this.
  7. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah like server cpus are technically passive due to redundancy and standoff mounted fans..
    This one is not shrouded though so I don't see how it'll work well unless that's external.

8. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

The question wasn't really would this work, but if this is a legitimate retail product or some oem parts that found their way into retail. I suspect the latter, someone somewhere misplaced a truckload of these bound for system builders and pushed it to market.

9. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

It says further down 'HP' so maybe gigabyte did some OEM'ing fo rthem?

I also don't see why this product exists. Nvidia thew a shitfit about using GTX cards in datacentres so this would be a no-no... it's a very unusual product.

10. kirbyrj

kirbyrj [H]ard as it Gets

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. That's a datacenter GPU...

See also:
    Firepro_S7000.jpg

HockeyJon, pendragon1 and N4CR like this.
  11. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

The 2080ti version is open fin and has a much wider sink, occupying the remainder of 2 slots not 1.

The open fin design makes it look like it was intended to run without an impeller fan, suggesting heat rising from it is part of the design spec.
    This would place the card horizontal with the heatsink face up, and preferably an exit tube to increase air velocity.

12. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Manufacturer number points to a Gigabyte Windforce, if it's legit.
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080TWF3OC-11GC

The exposed PCB certainly looks like a Windforce, except the auxiliary power inputs are in the traditional top position on that card. Lack of higher resolution pictures makes it hard to discern anything further than the information given. But the midplate and heatsink are definitely off of a blower. Looks exactly like the setup off of a Titan-style cooler used on Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal reference cards without the shroud and fan.

(Maxwell GTX Titan X pictured)
    upload_2019-12-3_10-45-34.png

HockeyJon and Nenu like this.
  13. sethk

sethk [H]ard|Gawd

If you don't put the blower shroud back on (with a radial fan), then you will need a duct or some other airflow solution for sure. The card that's pictured is not capable of being cooled passively without airflow with that setup. Even an attempt at a full passive setup would have required a much larger heatpiped dissipation block or something.

Armenius likes this.
  14. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Or a water block!

15. Solhokuten

Solhokuten [H]ard|Gawd

16. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

That fin pitch sucks for passive. Cool idea though.

17. Auer

Auer Gawd