Passive 2080ti, WTF? is this legit?

M76

[H]F Junkie
I saw listings cropping up at several retailers, for these supposedly 2080 ti cards, what the hell is this?
It looks like an engineering sample, or a card that's missing the fan and the shroud.
How in the hell is this in retail?

https://www.ctt.de/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-cf-11g-passiv-419488.html

1339597_gigabyte_gv_n208tcf_11gc_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_11gb_gddr6_passiv_pcie.jpg

Looks like a blower without the blower.

Passive isn’t going to work out very well lol. Interesting the 2x8pin are out the back of the card.

Well, "passive" doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't need airflow over it's heatsink. It simply means that it doesn't provide that airflow itself.

Think of some of those OEM office systems that use a passive CPU heatsink, but have a plastic duct routing air from a case intake fan over to the CPU heatsink instead. This could be similar. Even if you simply built your system with positive air pressure (more intake fans vs exhaust fans), then you will have air escaping your system any way it can, and would probably exhaust at least some of the heat from that heatsink as the air uses the holes in the mounting bracket as an exhaust.

I saw listings cropping up at several retailers, for these supposedly 2080 ti cards, what the hell is this?
It looks like an engineering sample, or a card that's missing the fan and the shroud.
How in the hell is this in retail?

https://www.ctt.de/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-cf-11g-passiv-419488.html

View attachment 203990
Passive has much wider fin pitch. That's definitely not passive...
E.g. my 939 scythe ninja is about 8mm spacing and why they are still some of the quietist cooling vs noise sinks even today. They were designed to be passive.

Anything can be passive. Just most people don't care or want a 4kg cooler for fanless passive 300W lol.

How much is it?

Well, "passive" doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't need airflow over it's heatsink. It simply means that it doesn't provide that airflow itself.

Think of some of those OEM office systems that use a passive CPU heatsink, but have a plastic duct routing air from a case intake fan over to the CPU heatsink instead. This could be similar. Even if you simply built your system with positive air pressure (more intake fans vs exhaust fans), then you will have air escaping your system any way it can, and would probably exhaust at least some of the heat from that heatsink as the air uses the holes in the mounting bracket as an exhaust.
Yeah like server cpus are technically passive due to redundancy and standoff mounted fans..
This one is not shrouded though so I don't see how it'll work well unless that's external.

The question wasn't really would this work, but if this is a legitimate retail product or some oem parts that found their way into retail. I suspect the latter, someone somewhere misplaced a truckload of these bound for system builders and pushed it to market.

The question wasn't really would this work, but if this is a legitimate retail product or some oem parts that found their way into retail. I suspect the latter, someone somewhere misplaced a truckload of these bound for system builders and pushed it to market.
It says further down 'HP' so maybe gigabyte did some OEM'ing fo rthem?

I also don't see why this product exists. Nvidia thew a shitfit about using GTX cards in datacentres so this would be a no-no... it's a very unusual product.

It says further down 'HP' so maybe gigabyte did some OEM'ing fo rthem?

I also don't see why this product exists. Nvidia thew a shitfit about using GTX cards in datacentres so this would be a no-no... it's a very unusual product.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. That's a datacenter GPU...

See also:
Firepro_S7000.jpg

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. That's a datacenter GPU...

See also:
View attachment 204156
The 2080ti version is open fin and has a much wider sink, occupying the remainder of 2 slots not 1.

The open fin design makes it look like it was intended to run without an impeller fan, suggesting heat rising from it is part of the design spec.
This would place the card horizontal with the heatsink face up, and preferably an exit tube to increase air velocity.

Manufacturer number points to a Gigabyte Windforce, if it's legit.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080TWF3OC-11GC

The exposed PCB certainly looks like a Windforce, except the auxiliary power inputs are in the traditional top position on that card. Lack of higher resolution pictures makes it hard to discern anything further than the information given. But the midplate and heatsink are definitely off of a blower. Looks exactly like the setup off of a Titan-style cooler used on Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal reference cards without the shroud and fan.

(Maxwell GTX Titan X pictured)
upload_2019-12-3_10-45-34.png

If you don't put the blower shroud back on (with a radial fan), then you will need a duct or some other airflow solution for sure. The card that's pictured is not capable of being cooled passively without airflow with that setup. Even an attempt at a full passive setup would have required a much larger heatpiped dissipation block or something.

If you don't put the blower shroud back on (with a radial fan), then you will need a duct or some other airflow solution for sure. The card that's pictured is not capable of being cooled passively without airflow with that setup. Even an attempt at a full passive setup would have required a much larger heatpiped dissipation block or something.
Or a water block!

Back