Parents Start to See TV, Internet The Same

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study says that parents see TV and the internet the same...when it comes to using it as punishment. Hell, my kid has so much electronic crap that I just go throw the breaker to his room when I want his attention.:D

The survey from the USC Annenberg Center for the Digital Future found that two-thirds of parents say they restrict their kids' access to TV as punishment, a number that has barely budged over the past 10 years. But the percentage of parents who limit Internet access as a form of punishment has nearly doubled in the last decade. Among parents surveyed this spring, 57 percent said they withheld Web access to punish their kids. That is up from 32 percent in 2000.

My mom tried grounding me from playing half life mp til 2am on dd maze 2 watercooled ahtlon rig back when I was 16 by taking the keyboard away. Pfft like I didn't have another one in the closet!

Of course. "Anything they want to do instead of what we're telling them to do" is fair game.

Thing is, these parents just aren't being clever enough. I prefer to threaten with "you won't get to go to Spanish class" or "you can't have any more vegetables." It's hard not to laugh at the look of horror at having these 'treasures' taken away.

My mom tried grounding me from playing half life mp til 2am on dd maze 2 watercooled ahtlon rig back when I was 16 by taking the keyboard away. Pfft like I didn't have another one in the closet!

LOL. This.

Instead they used to take away my power cord, when I have a box of them in my closet. :p

I usually disable my son's LAN connection if I need to get his attention. TV he doesn't care about.

That would earn you a barebones bedroom with no electronics other than an alarm clock in my house. ;)

Hell, my kid has so much electronic crap that I just go throw the breaker to his room when I want his attention.:D

I did that to my brother once. He locked the door so he could play his Wii instead of going to school so I cut the power. Made him come out quick enough. Was still late for school though.

Sheesh, what's the world coming to? I love computers and gaming, but I realize that, unless I want my son to grow up to be an overweight geek, I do other things like coach his tee-ball team, take him to the park, or swimming. You know, things kids should be doing at 5 years old. We bought him a Macbook Air for Christmas and I hope he learns what computers are actually used for instead of wasting his time playing games. He should use it to get an education and then later on in life, play games when he can earn what he gets.

Just my .02.

Hah! That reminds me of the time when my grades were tanking early on in HS. Parents were not pleased with my progress report (there was at least one 'D' or 'F' on the report) and told me they were going to limit my computer usage. Being the little, immature shit I was, I decided to rebel by locking up my computer desk and take the keys with me to school. However, It didn't take until the day after to find out that my cunning little plan backfired.

When I came home that afternoon, not only did I get an earful by a seriously pissed off mother, I found that the roll-top had been slashed open and the lock to the side compartment door had been ripped out and destroyed. Both the computer and monitor were gone.

Needless to say after that incident, I tried my damned hardest to make A's and B's in all my classes.

Sheesh, what's the world coming to? I love computers and gaming, but I realize that, unless I want my son to grow up to be an overweight geek, I do other things like coach his tee-ball team, take him to the park, or swimming. You know, things kids should be doing at 5 years old. We bought him a Macbook Air for Christmas and I hope he learns what computers are actually used for instead of wasting his time playing games. He should use it to get an education and then later on in life, play games when he can earn what he gets.

Just my .02.

I'm sure you lived by this motto.

I'm sure you lived by this motto.

I sure did. I didn't play games until I got to college, and managed to get 2 Bachelors degrees, a Masters, and a 3.875 GPA cumulative, while playing games. If my son wants to play, I am all for it, but he needs to be a kid before playing games. Most kids nowadays seem to have one thing on their mind and that's video games. We have a family night once a week where we all play the Wii or a Board game. Family is still the most important thing to me and my family. I realize this is so important because my dad was always gone on business, so I never got to see him. He did however coach me from age 4 to 15 in tee-ball through baseball. Those were my best times. That's what I want my son to realize is that family is important and everything else is just extra.

Just my .02.
My parents did that shit to me and what did it get them? Me moving out and not giving a flying fuck about them because they never gave two shits about what I was really into. I never got my own computer till years after HS when I could afford my own. Now im drastically behind everyone else I know because they had parents that got them computers in HS or before it.

Got I think how much further I could be along in computers if my parents gave two fucks.

Just my .02.

++

There's nothing wrong with a kid gaming as long as his/her priorities are straight.

I did that to my brother once. He locked the door so he could play his Wii instead of going to school so I cut the power. Made him come out quick enough. Was still late for school though.

works awesome....except the first time you throw the wrong breaker and shut down the kitchen when your wife is cooking...but other than that, the breaker switch is YOUR FRIEND! :D

++

There's nothing wrong with a kid gaming as long as his/her priorities are straight.

++++ x5

I am not saying he shouldn't play games, but rather go outside equally and enjoy himself. I never said he couldn't play games, just not all the time. Don't think that I don't give a crap about my son. I do very much so. I want to spend as much time with him as possible before he doesn't want to spend much with me when he gets older and figures out what women are good for.

Keylock switch wired to the room's circuit means I can leave the house and unless they make the effort to unwire and move everything, they are without internet, games, tv, etc.

I am not saying he shouldn't play games, but rather go outside equally and enjoy himself. I never said he couldn't play games, just not all the time. Don't think that I don't give a crap about my son. I do very much so. I want to spend as much time with him as possible before he doesn't want to spend much with me when he gets older and figures out what women are good for.

I don't think anyone's saying that you don't care about your son but you are coming off, at least imo, sounding like your kid can't touch a video game till he's in college. I agree that kids, especially young kids, should spend time out doors but that doesn't mean you have to force them to play outside or be "normal".

I was never restricted on video game time and I've been gaming since I could hold a controller. There were times when I just sat in my room and played games for 12-16 hours. There were also time's when I was outside playing days in a row. VideoGames are no different than anything else and just because someone plays a lot doesn't mean they will grow up to be an "overweight geek". I've spent countless hours gaming but I still had friends, wasn't socially inept and had girlfriends all throughout my school career. Now I'm 21 and work full time as a systems engineer and still spend a lot of my free time gaming.

Teach your children the important things in life, teach them to be social, teach them to make their own decisions and evaluate things on their own. Set their heads straight and for the most part they will end up fine.

My mom shut down our internet service (with the ISP) when I stopped going to school.

Back then, I was the only one who had a computer; it was back in 2003.

I sure did. I didn't play games until I got to college, and managed to get 2 Bachelors degrees, a Masters, and a 3.875 GPA cumulative, while playing games. If my son wants to play, I am all for it, but he needs to be a kid before playing games. Most kids nowadays seem to have one thing on their mind and that's video games. We have a family night once a week where we all play the Wii or a Board game. Family is still the most important thing to me and my family. I realize this is so important because my dad was always gone on business, so I never got to see him. He did however coach me from age 4 to 15 in tee-ball through baseball. Those were my best times. That's what I want my son to realize is that family is important and everything else is just extra.

This is the problem. Just because you did fine does not mean that the exact same treatment for your children will produce the same result. Kids are people, they are not just little versions of ourselves. There should be restrictions in their lives and all things not restricted should be in moderation. I allow my son to game. He does not however have a computer in his room, my choice. I see the risks of gaming far less than the risk of online predators. My job as a parent is not to control my children or to teach them everything. It is to make sure they know they are loved, to push them when they want to quit, to challenge them when they want to take the easy road, to always set them up for achieving success and not setting them up for failure. My son is a born gamer, I can realize this and help make this a productive part of his life or try to change him. I prefer the former over the latter.

This is the problem. Just because you did fine does not mean that the exact same treatment for your children will produce the same result. Kids are people, they are not just little versions of ourselves. There should be restrictions in their lives and all things not restricted should be in moderation. I allow my son to game. He does not however have a computer in his room, my choice. I see the risks of gaming far less than the risk of online predators. My job as a parent is not to control my children or to teach them everything. It is to make sure they know they are loved, to push them when they want to quit, to challenge them when they want to take the easy road, to always set them up for achieving success and not setting them up for failure. My son is a born gamer, I can realize this and help make this a productive part of his life or try to change him. I prefer the former over the latter.

Agreed. It's Facebook that is fucking up our society, not games. People no longer know how to be social outside of the web.

Just my .02.

...right

Cutting the power is a good first step, but you also need a cell signal jammer otherwise they'll be tweeting, texting, browsing, watching tv, and whatever else their smartphones can do.

Maybe you guys have some submissive kids, but when I was a kid, I'd be going eye for an eye on a lot of the tactics you are all bragging about and causing all kinds of damage and mischief. I would like to think that just reasoning with a child would work better. To each their own, I suppose.

works awesome....except the first time you throw the wrong breaker and shut down the kitchen when your wife is cooking...but other than that, the breaker switch is YOUR FRIEND! :D

++++ x5
Oh yes it works great, don't you just love the loud beeping noise a UPS makes? :p

Maybe you guys have some submissive kids, but when I was a kid, I'd be going eye for an eye on a lot of the tactics you are all bragging about and causing all kinds of damage and mischief. I would like to think that just reasoning with a child would work better. To each their own, I suppose.

Lol going eye for an eye as a little prepubescent punk with your parents wouldnt have gotten far in my house. My Father and Mother wouldnt have none of that but they let me do most of what I wanted cause I showed them I was a good responsible kid. As long as I was good they let me have more freedom but I guaranty when I slipped (which wasnt often) they put me in my place. Just hearing eye for an eye when you talk about a kid and there parents just doesnt sound right to me the kids not suppose to be in control the parent is, thats what parentings all about controling and shaping your childs outlook and actions in life not being there friend you can be there "friend" when there grown.

Lol going eye for an eye as a little prepubescent punk with your parents wouldnt have gotten far in my house. My Father and Mother wouldnt have none of that but they let me do most of what I wanted cause I showed them I was a good responsible kid. As long as I was good they let me have more freedom but I guaranty when I slipped (which wasnt often) they put me in my place. Just hearing eye for an eye when you talk about a kid and there parents just doesnt sound right to me the kids not suppose to be in control the parent is, thats what parentings all about controling and shaping your childs outlook and actions in life not being there friend you can be there "friend" when there grown.

Well said.

Reasoning does work, you don't have to be mean or yell. Set the standard and hold them to it. They only really get out of hand when you cave in and break your own standards by letting them break the rules. Do that and you are setting yourself up for failure. Hold the line, be respectful and don't give in and they will respect and appreciate you for it. Maybe not until they are 30 but that's part of being a parent.

ok I feel fucking old... my mom was smart enough to take the power plug to the Atari2600 when I got in trouble in school :D

You kiddies are to young, when I was a kid, they didn't have PCs.

For my kid, he doesn't know the password, and it's NOT in his room!

Just my .02.

You bought your 5 year old a Macbook Air?!!? :eek: wtf? really, there isn't any more that needs to be said besides wtf, but your complaining about not having him grow up to be an overweight geek, and you bought your 5 your old a Macbook Air? What does this 5 year old do that a net-book wouldn't suffice? wtf?

You bought your 5 year old a Macbook Air?!!? :eek: wtf? really, there isn't any more that needs to be said besides wtf, but your complaining about not having him grow up to be an overweight geek, and you bought your 5 your old a Macbook Air? What does this 5 year old do that a net-book wouldn't suffice? wtf?

Equipping kids at that age with a Macbook air all but guarantess they will grow up to be skinny graphic designers who live out of the local coffee shop. Plus it guarantees he will never play games on his computer ! I think he achieved both his goals. :D

My parents took away the internet before anyone knew WTF a web browser was. Prolly the first generation to suffer under such painful punishment.

We have the problem of the kids just want to play games after school and do nothing else.
I take the power brick for their 360 when I go to work.
I take the VGA cable off the computer.

Because they never payed attention to my hobby, they don't realize I have a cable box in the garage.

I took the girl's cell phone charger away when her grades started tanking. Told her have fun for a few days with it.

She might get it back once her grades come back in a week.

I see nothing wrong with removing internet privileges, as long as it works on said child, but I'm open to other things regarding discipline.

Back