Paranoia thread: what would you do if GPU failed?

biggles

2[H]4U
My gtx 780 is out of warranty. Should I be concerned about being able to replace it if it fails? With the crypto market causing exploding graphics card prices and having a limited budget. It is an EVGA but I am pretty sure it only had the standard 3 year warranty (purchased August 2014).

Is it true that you have to go down to a 1050ti before you see prices close to retail?

Normally I do not believe in extended warranties but it would come in handy in this situation. EVGA used to give lifetime warranties I believe.

No, you can easily find a used GTX 970 for under $200 & they're plenty faster 1050ti. I got one here on the forums for $170.

I'll be using my 980 until it dies, If prices are still through the roof, well, I guess it'll be time to go back to consoles, or continue to play emulators.

Yep. No need to panic plus Volta, Ampere, or whatever is just around the corner. With the gRAM debacle on the 970, it is probably the best deal all-around for a used GPU with decent-enough specs to play most modern games. I am holding one as a backup to my 1080 and already sold off my 1070 because I could live without it.

Is it true that you have to go down to a 1050ti before you see prices close to retail?

You have to go lower than that. The GTX 1050ti release MSRP was $139. The cheapest one on amazon right now is $100 over that.

You have to go lower than that. The GTX 1050ti release MSRP was $139. The cheapest one on amazon right now is $100 over that.

Which is ridiculous because if were talking price/performance people are getting screwed big time!

Well, some folks enjoy having a "once every x years" upgrade cycle and just so happen to always land right when a mining craze is happenin'...

...and then complain about card availability as if they've been looking for decades and have been ready to pull the trigger on something for that entire duration.

I get out the backup card.

1498761058678.jpg

simply go buy another one. the used market is full of quality used video cards; and if you stay in the realm of 1080p gaming and video, no issues.

The mining world drives prices up on 470 or better on the AMD side, and 1060 or better on the nVidia side. Anything lower you can find decent deals on. Though I just bought a 1060 6GB for $330 from Newegg...not amazing pricing, but it could be worse.

No, you can easily find a used GTX 970 for under $200 & they're plenty faster 1050ti. I got one here on the forums for $170.

I'll be using my 980 until it dies, If prices are still through the roof, well, I guess it'll be time to go back to consoles, or continue to play emulators.

I just checked this on ebay by looking up completed listings on the gtx 970. As of this post they are selling for around $250. So you got quite a deal for only $170.

I'd go scour and buy a new used GPU, if that failed, I'd grab a 2400G to hold me over.

I would buy a new GPU and mine on it to pay back the crypto tax.

I've had plenty of (Nvidia) GPUs fail. Multiple from EVGA. One was brand new and had a "lifetime" warranty. So I sent it in. They sent a card back to me... it was my same broken card, said it was refurbed.... I don't buy EVGA stuff anymore. Never overclocked, never abused... therefore, EVGA, you are never trusted again.

If your GPU fails you replace it. That's just what you do. Apart from EVGA, your vendor might even honor a warranty on the card.

Not all GPU's fail. I still have my X850XT from ATI, been in use for more then a decade, but have just recently taken it out of my oldest system (C2D based, on an Abit mobo :) still moving along ) and into retirement.

Main ( 1060 6gb ) is under warranty. Aside from that, I have 3 other hold overs till I could get something else.

Pay what you want, when you want it. As long as its not a stupid price.
Waiting is not always the best decision with the flux of the market but when its so expensive what can you do?
Its never been so hard to decide when to purchase.

The time to buy is when you must have it more than anything else.
You cant consider normal pricing if you have to buy now.

Well, I've recently bought several EVGA 1080tis and had issue with one that may or may not have been my fault. RMA'd it to EVGA and they sent out a new one same day RMA was received. Got it next day, so RMA sent on a Weds and received new in box replacement on Sat. no complaints and glad I got EVGAs.

See if your credit card adds up to 12 months for warranty.

Still been trying to shoot for a 1060 here, but have an extra 950 as a backup. Even prices of the 1030 is ridiculous.

RX 560's can still be had for about $120 pretty easy and the 550's about $100

LMAO! I was just thinking about this looking at my tried and true 980Ti. Then I took the case apart making sure all cooling was at desired levels. Then backed the 980Ti down to 1250mhz max clock from 1410mhz. Nope, might need her for another year, going take it easy on her for now. :)

I don't have a back up card which is unusual. Gave my 970 to a nephew. :meh: *Bad PC gamer, bad!*

I’ll buy a ps4. Maybe. I’m running a 760 on my 720p tv and an 880m on my when I’m traveling laptop. The laptop gets too hot for regular gaming so if my 760 dies I’ll just sit it out for a while and buy the games I missed for cheaper later

LMAO! I was just thinking about this looking at my tried and true 980Ti. Then I took the case apart making sure all cooling was at desired levels. Then backed the 980Ti down to 1250mhz max clock from 1410mhz. Nope, might need her for another year, going take it easy on her for now. :)

I don't have a back up card which is unusual. Gave my 970 to a nephew. :meh: *Bad PC gamer, bad!*

I mine with my 1060 for extra cash since I really don't game much and while it is under warranty. I'm actually running it under clocked just in case. Hurts the hash a little but it's worth it

If you are still playing at 1080p then i get 980Ti's. These cards are beastly and even more so with custom bios' . If you're at 4k, then double up.

Last edited:
Screw the card price crap. This is [H], right?

I'm gonna head down to the beach and grab a bucket of sand and start melting silicon. A real man makes his own video card.

Now thats [H]ard.

its well within warranty still so unless i drenched my pc in water or something id get a new one for free. and id just sit on my ps4 meanwhile :D well not sit on it but, play with it or whatever, streaming and using my iphone as backup pc :p

Option 1, shudder stuck my gtx 680 4 gb into my system and stick the 580 in the second system I stole it from.

Option 2 stick a 1080p full sized monitor on the laptop. Mobile 1060 with its own ram.

For the cost of a gpu now a gaming laptop is starting to look good.

Well, I've recently bought several EVGA 1080tis and had issue with one that may or may not have been my fault. RMA'd it to EVGA and they sent out a new one same day RMA was received. Got it next day, so RMA sent on a Weds and received new in box replacement on Sat. no complaints and glad I got EVGAs.

This was my experience twice recently. Shipped a 1080 Ti to EVGA on a Monday, they received it Tuesday and shipped replacement same day, I had it in my hands Wednesday. 44hrs from RMA request to replacement in hand.

Contrasted to Corsair who I RMA'd a couple power supplies nearly a month ago and they're still screwing around "processing" it, it's pretty much EVGA for power supplies and GPUs from now on for me.

I just decided to limit myself to 1080p already - so even though 1050ti's are lots more expensive now than they were at launch, I could get by on an IGP and it would be passable. Way I figure, if GPU prices stay inflated, but IGP performance continues to slowly increase, by the time one of my cards fails and there's no more warranty, I can just build a new box without a discrete GPU and at least not lose any noticeable performance.

Different story if I was playing at a higher resolution, but I'm also playing some older/simpler games so I can get away with this.

I'd RMA it if it was still under warranty. If not, I have a couple machines with 6GB 1060's which would hold me over until I could get my hands on the next best card at a not overly inflated price. I'm not terribly worried about my 1080Ti going out on me though. I don't mine on it. It's used for gaming and desktop tasks. I actually do mine on the 2 1060's I have. They help fund my GPU purchases.

I think my 760 gtx is dying now it won't complete time spy or firestrike without a bluescreen and the fan sounds weird. It is 5 years old though as I bought right on the reIease week. I just ordered a 1050ti because anything faster in the UK is silly money.

3 is 2, 2 is 1, 1 is none.

I have multiple high end computers, I can manage little failures: "self-insured".
For big failures (like a fire) you have things like homeowner's or renter's insurance ;)

do noted, once in my life i had a CM storm scout cabinet with a radeon card i recently bougth to play Lotro, i cant remember rigth now what card it was.. but it was one of the top tier ones. I had one cup of tea on my left side and pc sitting rigth next to table, perfectly positioned to when the cup was knocked over when i smashed my hand in the table. It poured perfectly in the fan intake ontop! And it fucked up my pc. had to downgrade everything a bit just to scrap together a pc, that sucked. now i put my pc under table always never drinks on side where my pc is lol. and i got corsair 600c with no intake on top but, enough fluids will probably prove fatal anyway :eek: FEARS!

I would buy a 1050, they're like $130 (Amazon). But I'm really hoping my 760 keeps chugging. I want to wait out the price gouging and buy something REALLY NICE when I have the loot, not compromise and end up with a mid-range card for a high-range price.

Well, some folks enjoy having a "once every x years" upgrade cycle and just so happen to always land right when a mining craze is happenin'...

*Raises hand*

I was pretty happy with my 960. Which did not stop me from getting a 1070, which is just insanely good. If the 1070 dies and I can't RMA for some reason, I'd probably want to at least know what the deal with the supposed 2070 is before buying anything else.

I'm more worried about building a new system then my card going out. I have nothing left to "upgrade" on my current box. My 1080Ti will push my 1440p G-Sync display easily and will do so for a while yet. I have no plans to upgrade to 4K anytime soon. Beyond that, I'm already CPU limited in a few games so a GPU upgrade is not going to happen without an entirely new system to go along with it. Under normal circumstances it would be a good time to build seeing that AMD is once again competitive in regards to CPUs. But these aren't normal circumstances. Not only are video card prices (and availability) ridiculous but DDR4 pricing is also ridiculous.

Normally I'd have probably upgraded my system by now just for the excitement of having a new system to play with, even if I didn't really "need" to upgrade. The cost associated with a new build today is making me wait until I actually "need" to upgrade.

I have a MSI 770 4Gb and an R9-280 as fall back cards and my drop off will not be much from a 290x, maybe the down time is good for pushing gaming more on software side if we can't afford hardware as to get our performance uplift there as the goal is always to see a platform evolve with software.

Back