Over The Top Apple Product Placement

I like how all the devices are powered up and the screens are lit...as if they were playing the screens like musical wine glasses, to keep them lit up during the scene.

Read a bit. Not familiar with the series, but apparently iDevices can't multitask so they had to use several tablets.

now that they have some toys, all they need is a PC in there to get some real work done.

I hate this shit, mainly because it's so blatant nowadays. Has nothing too do with Apple specifically, though they seem to be one of the worst offenders, but I hate when car companies and other tech companies do it as well.

Actually Apple is one of the least of the offenders, since they don't pay for product placement. It is just that this is what a lot of writers use for their own work and they like the look of Apple product. As a result Apple gets a lot of free placement, but usually it is just in background, not in your face.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/apple-samsung-trial-358581

IMO Microsoft is the by far the worse offender on TV, because they aren't content to merely have their product placed, they are paying, and they demand their product be highlighted so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Hawaii 5-0 looked like a Microsoft Phone commercial half the time in the beginning, but I stopped watching so I don't know if it is now also a MS Surface advert. I was flipping channels and thought a commercial was on, but it was a lame placement of Surface in another show complete with clicking it together, popping the kickstand, they full screen zoom at the Metro tiles. No doubt MS demanded that they highlight all the features MS advertises and likely even specified a required full screen zoom on Metro.

That is the problem with paid placements. They don't just sit on desk, they demand the big zoom in on the screen to demo features, which is lame.

Actually Apple is one of the least of the offenders, since they don't pay for product placement. It is just that this is what a lot of writers use for their own work and they like the look of Apple product. As a result Apple gets a lot of free placement, but usually it is just in background, not in your face.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/apple-samsung-trial-358581

IMO Microsoft is the by far the worse offender on TV, because they aren't content to merely have their product placed, they are paying, and they demand their product be highlighted so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Hawaii 5-0 looked like a Microsoft Phone commercial half the time in the beginning, but I stopped watching so I don't know if it is now also a MS Surface advert. I was flipping channels and thought a commercial was on, but it was a lame placement of Surface in another show complete with clicking it together, popping the kickstand, they full screen zoom at the Metro tiles. No doubt MS demanded that they highlight all the features MS advertises and likely even specified a required full screen zoom on Metro.

That is the problem with paid placements. They don't just sit on desk, they demand the big zoom in on the screen to demo features, which is lame.

This is probably a side effect of the ability to skip commercials now, so the only way to slip your advertising into shows is through product placement ... since I don't watch sports I timeshift most of the shows I watch (which means I am almost always skipping commercials) and I suspect I am not alone in that ... although bad product placements are pretty annoying I think it is just the price we pay for not watching commercials ... I am more scared of a future where they decide they need banner advertising on TV and streaming ... that will be far worse than product placement :eek:

Reading from left to right you have:

1. tablet for pr0n use only (notice we can't see what's playing on it)
2. gov't issued tablet (billed out at >$9k)
3. personal tablet (for distracting people with pictures of kids in permanent slideshow)
4. gov't issued phone (billed out at >$9k as well)
5. "burner" iphone for old mistresses
6. other guy's gov't issued phone
7. burner phone for whores
8. "throwing" phone... obviously for throwing at wall when angry (has extra thick rubber guard)
9. laptop for shenanigans

Win.

Not having 9 monitors and coding while standing
2/10

sbOWEVv.jpg

Aside from product placement, Microsoft and Samsung are both way up there in the advertisement category; it's pretty rare nowadays to go one commercial break without a Microsoft Surface flash dance or Samsung showing off their lovetap feature like it's the innovation of the century. You can tell easily by Samsung's massive advertising budget that they're doing everything short of sacrificing a baby to become a household name and it's working in a way but against Google and not Apple, because the general public is beginning to refer to Androids as Galaxy phones.

I also love how in every movie every one is using a Mac computer/laptop. No one ever uses a Windows computer

The technical term for this is "suspension of disbelief".

Unless it's a scene where they are checking facebook or trying to crash something..

I also love how in every movie every one is using a Mac computer/laptop. No one ever uses a Windows computer

I only use an Apple when I am trying to interface with Alien mothership computers ... judging from ID4 it is clearly much easier to plant a virus in the alien mothership if I am using an Apple :cool:

Who, cares it not like its a new issue either, nike backpack in ET. As long as people have had power and influence they have abused it.

Oh and lets not forget the phone that revolutionized this trend the motorola razr which was dropped in the hands of stars before a big event.

I don't believe for a second that Apple doesn't pay for screen placement in some way. Half the laptop scenes in Hollywood lately have the huge glowing Apple logo framed center screen. It's completely distracting, and I can't imagine any director would voluntarily do this to their scene.
A free laptop isn't enough to make a large budget movie studio even bother answering their phone.

$10 says that the Lone Ranger Facetimes Tonto at some point in the upcoming remake.

I hate this shit, mainly because it's so blatant nowadays. Has nothing too do with Apple specifically, though they seem to be one of the worst offenders, but I hate when car companies and other tech companies do it as well.

I don't mind it until it gets extremely obvious. My favorite show - Fringe. During the first few seasons, it was obvious Ford was a sponsor. Every time they pulled in, there was the logo. Ford Sync. Same with Sprint - their stuff was in your face during that. I got a lot of looks at some cool phones and their features. Nothing to do with the show, of course, other than a quick phone call.... Those type of product placement ads just get ridiculous and turn me off the product. It doesn't make me want it more, but less.

The old days, with Reses Pieces, Cheerios and the line (ET, Superman, respectively) were good.

As someone who has worked in a couple tech companies with fairly liberal personal device restrictions, this actually doesn't seem too unrealistic... At all.

I call BS on that. I can't even count the number of times I've seen an Apple logo shoved right front and center of a shot.

I don't mind it until it gets extremely obvious. My favorite show - Fringe. During the first few seasons, it was obvious Ford was a sponsor. Every time they pulled in, there was the logo. Ford Sync. Same with Sprint - their stuff was in your face during that. I got a lot of looks at some cool phones and their features. Nothing to do with the show, of course, other than a quick phone call.... Those type of product placement ads just get ridiculous and turn me off the product. It doesn't make me want it more, but less.

The old days, with Reses Pieces, Cheerios and the line (ET, Superman, respectively) were good.

Yeah, that's what I mean...they're not even subtle about it anymore. In fact, a lot of the time they will be in whatever car they are pushing and start listing off features like a brochure.

"Yeah, I like this car, it's got Microsoft Sync Bluetooth Wireless 3000 (TM) which allows me to simplify my life by providing blah blah blah blah"

I call BS on that. I can't even count the number of times I've seen an Apple logo shoved right front and center of a shot.

Indeed. They've gotten more than enough product placement over the last 5 years. Its getting absurd ..completely fucking absurd.

Its like the fucking Truman Show now , actors are basically stopping dead in scenes to swing their iPhone's out of their pockets and in front of the camera.

Its pathetic. At least on House of Card's it was only over the top in one scene.

I hate Morgan Spurlock (he just annoys me) but he basically shows you the problem exposed in all its glory in The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. I recommend watching it to see how this product placement machine works.

You seriously can't get things made unless you agree to product placement unless you intend to fund it yourself. Its just fucking crazy.

I was passing the TV today and it was some show (no idea what, Arrow or something) and there was someone sitting looking bored using Windows 8...

She was scrolling randomly through the icons scouring for something to do, then just poked one and then closed it again then got up and left. At least it's a realistic representation. :D

Honestly this isn't all that bad compared to most of the Apple product placement out there. Due to the image contrast I can't even see a complete apple symbol. For all people know those could be any number of other brands of tablets/phones.

Of course, with this being only one screen from a video clip there may have been more brand exposure, but it's no where near as annoying as movies/shows that include pointless scenes where the characters do nothing just to focus on the brand for 15 seconds.

Who, cares it not like its a new issue either, nike backpack in ET. As long as people have had power and influence they have abused it.

He will have to be wearing a nike sports jacket, nike shoes, nike watch, nike hat, and all of them glow in the dark green during a night shot.

Back