Origin Access thoughts

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Joined
Jun 15, 2003
Messages
18,564
I've been out of the pc gaming world for a bit am now back in. When I left Steam was king, that still appears to be true but it looks like it's got some competition. I'd like to give Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1 a shot but it looks like Origin has different options. I can either buy the games outright which I have always done on Steam or I can get a subscription and pay monthly or yearly to essentially "rent" the games.

Does anyone have experience with Origin Access? What are your thoughts? I want some of EA's games and if I got more than 3 it might be better to get a Origin Access sub but at the end I don't actually own anything... $30 per year for basic, $100 for premier. I think I'm leaning towards just buying the games instead of "renting" them but I wanted to hear some other opinions.

Thanks for any input.
 
$5 per month is an option with access. No monthly minimum.

You can probably play through those two games single player in a month or two.

I like EA Orgin Access. I have a yearly sub right now. It’s a pretty cheap way to access a lot of titles. It’s great for LAN parties.
 
I don't have experience with Origin Access, but I do with Microsoft Game Pass. My opinion on the game subscription service model is I started feeling pressure to play more games than I wanted to; that I no longer had the freedom to play at my own pace. I got rid of it after a few months and I dislike the idea of game subscriptions in general.
 
I recently re-upped for my 2nd year of Access at $30, and IMO it has been well worth every penny. Just the amount of time I spent playing Wasteland 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Dragon Age: Inquisition paid for the subscription for me. Then I got to play some other games I would not have bought outright but really enjoyed like Orwell, Titanfall 2, Hacknet, The Surge, and FIFA.
 
The games can be found really cheap on sales so for me it doesn't really pay.
 
It's not bad if they have a few games you want to play. I would have never played Titanfall 2 or Battlefield 1 without it; I only wanted to play the SP campaigns and while both were good they were not worth the $50± both games were for sale for. They were however worth the $5 I payed for Origin Access that month.
 
It might seem a great deal, but in the long run, we're going to pay. I beg you, all of you to don't sign up. It's obvious what they're trying to do here. Games as a service, riddled with micro transactions. That means if it is a success we can kiss goodbye owning any games permanently. You pay a monthly fee, or you don't play at all. And of course even if you pay except for the bare minimal game content everything will be behind paywalls.

Do you want that? I don't want that. I'd rather pay up front for the game, and enjoy it whenever the hell I want, even 10 years later. And not just a skeleton, but all the content that comes with it, all cosmetic pieces, all extra armours, all weapon skins!
 
It might seem a great deal, but in the long run, we're going to pay. I beg you, all of you to don't sign up. It's obvious what they're trying to do here. Games as a service, riddled with micro transactions. That means if it is a success we can kiss goodbye owning any games permanently. You pay a monthly fee, or you don't play at all. And of course even if you pay except for the bare minimal game content everything will be behind paywalls.

Do you want that? I don't want that. I'd rather pay up front for the game, and enjoy it whenever the hell I want, even 10 years later. And not just a skeleton, but all the content that comes with it, all cosmetic pieces, all extra armours, all weapon skins!

This.
 
It's ea. They are just looking for a way to get their hand as far up our ass as possible.

Since most people are stupid buttpuppets, it will probably work.

So if someone doesn’t agree with you they are a buttpuppet? Got it.

If you buy one single EA game in two years you’ve otherwise payed off the subscription. I played Battlefield 1 on a monthly pass. I didn’t think it was worth $60 to me, but it was certainly worth $5. I don’t plan to play it again so why buy it?

For all EAs faults — their entire catalogue available for $5 per month with no minimum months is a pretty darn slick deal. Buy it for a month, skip six months, buy it for a month again when a game comes out you want to play.

——
Battlefield or Star Wars Battlefront or need for speed or dragon age or titan fall, or mirrors edge or plants vs zombies, or command and conquer, or sim city, or any other number of titles —-any or all for $5...

Guess I’m a buttpuppet...
 
You are all butt puppetssssssssssssssssssssssss!

I know. It's gonna happen. May as well lube up now. fucking ea.

Stop trying to preach to me. I am kidding. Making jokes in the face of the inevitable doom of pc gaming.

It's what I do doo.
 
I think $5 a month is a pretty good deal. I get to play a variety of games without having to pay even sale prices for them. And my system isn't all that powerful, so I don't have to worry.

I'm a card carryin' Buttpuppet!! Yaaaaaaayy!
 
Not to mention, EA or not, they make cancelation a breeze. Just login and cancel. I had it it for maybe three months and canceled with no issues.

Christ sakes people are acting like they make you send them your kid for collateral.
 
Last edited:
OK, when you stopped high fiving each other on what a slick deal this is, maybe you should go back and read my post about the possible ramifications.

But people are going to people, fuck the long term, it's all about me me me me and my short term gains.
 
Use the service to play some games you might not otherwise try or are not sure about. A one month sub isn't bad. After that time is up buy the game(s) you enjoy and want to keep. I used the $5/month option to play through Mass Effect 3 finally since Origin was the only way I could play the game.

I would not keep paying for the service, though. Just a quick sub for a month to try out or play through something. In the long run I'd prefer to "own" the game so I can play it whenever I want rather than needing a sub to do so.
 
OK, when you stopped high fiving each other on what a slick deal this is, maybe you should go back and read my post about the possible ramifications.

But people are going to people, fuck the long term, it's all about me me me me and my short term gains.
Do you have Netflix?

I had over 700 DVDs
Now I have Netflix and about 50 Blu-rays and 1 UHD Blu-ray. Meaning my acquisition of physical media for my home movie watching is organically changing in the way it’s delivered. I expect gaming will go the same way over time, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. If prices are too high then don’t use the subscription service -and instead just buy the games.

It is annual pass for every game EA has (any over about six months old) and when bought yearly is only $2.50 a month.

If you think that’s a bad model, then don’t support it. I think it’s a more than reasonable model. When I have people ask me about where to start to try PC gaming, I mention Orgin Access for a sub as a great way to try a bunch of titles. See what genre they like and go forward from there. A 14 year old kid asked me what games he should buy for cheap cause he didn’t have much money. He was expecting to be able to afford a title or two. I told him try EA access. That worked great for him. With his $5 he got to try a bunch of triple A titles and see what he liked. And even a teenage kid can cough up $30 a year. Again even if you historically bought just one single game from EA every year, you come out ahead with access to all of their games.


Now it works because it’s cheap. If EA cranks up the prices hard, i’ll move on.
 
Last edited:
Do you have Netflix?

I had over 700 DVDs
Now I have Netflix and about 50 Blu-rays and 1 UHD Blu-ray. I expect gaming will go the same way over time, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. If prices are too high then don’t use the subscription service -and instead just buy the games.

It is annual pass for every game EA has (any over about six months old) and when bought yearly is only $2.50 a month.

If you think that’s a bad model, then don’t support it. I think it’s a more than reasonable model. When I have people ask me about where to start to try PC gaming, I mention Orgin Access for a sub as a great way to try a bunch of titles. See what genre they like and go forward from there. A 14 year old kid asked me what games he should buy for cheap cause he didn’t have much money. He was expecting to be able to afford a title or two. I told him try EA access. That worked great for him. With his $5 he got to try a bunch of triple A titles and see what he liked. And even a teenage kid can cough up $30 a year. Again even if you historically bought just one single game from EA every year, you come out ahead with access to all of their games.


Now it works because it’s cheap. If EA cranks up the prices hard, i’ll move on.
Sigh. You're still missing the point.

Do you think of ea as a charity? Do you think they deliberately want less profit? Obviously neither is true. So they know this will make them more money for them somehow in the long term. Now the only way this makes them more money is if they plan to make that money elsewhere, and not on the actual service price. So where are they planning to make more money? That's the elephant in the room you all seem to be ignoring.

Netflix is a direct competitor to home video, origin access is not a competitor of their own.
 
Netflix is a direct competitor to home video, origin access is not a competitor of their own.

This comment is nonsense. Every other game developer and delivery method is a direct competitor to Origin.
 
This comment is nonsense. Every other game developer and delivery method is a direct competitor to Origin.
Nonsense != I don't understand.

Does EA sell games? Yes. So origin access is competing with the origin store. Netflix isn't competing against their own movie store. And even if they did movies are very different as they have a fixed runtime, and you usually watch them in one sitting. Plus people don't buy movies left and right, they usually buy those that they already saw and liked so much that they must own. So in that definition movie streaming is not a competitor of dvd / bluray sales. It is a competitor to broadcast tv.

So the only way origin access makes sense to EA is if they plan to make more money off it than selling individual games. And at $8 / month that just doesn't compute. It's really not that hard to understand. Seems like many decided to wear blinders here. "It's a good deal, let's not think about it, just sign up"
 
Well this turned into a lively discussion, lol.

Use the service to play some games you might not otherwise try or are not sure about. A one month sub isn't bad. After that time is up buy the game(s) you enjoy and want to keep. I used the $5/month option to play through Mass Effect 3 finally since Origin was the only way I could play the game.

I would not keep paying for the service, though. Just a quick sub for a month to try out or play through something. In the long run I'd prefer to "own" the game so I can play it whenever I want rather than needing a sub to do so.
I like this, use the $5 to see what games you'd like to actually buy and move on from there.
 
Very simple. If subscription takes off, say goodbye to owning games. At least at reasonable prices. Subscription may seem nice, but eventually you'll sign up with all kinds of services and other hidden fees. DLC will require more premium monthly models. You name it. And they may remove it over time. Call me old fashioned but I like being able to keep my games 5, 7 or 10 years later.

Streaming games will tie into that eventually. While it may seem great to not have to upgrade your PC all the time and everyone can enjoy great graphics even on a cheap $150 streaming Xbox like Microsoft is planning, I'm sure Nvidia / AMD & the Streaming companies running the show won't be upgrading as frequently but instead up your rates over time. Yeah developers can target a higher lowest common denominator as lower end consoles won't exist, but don't expect the hardware to upgrade as frequently.
 
Just say no to Unicronic Arts.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3HxFY2jkOV5dRkepL6zQ9UP3jBVjILOUhkGAi5Gi1G6yAkMASvQ.jpg
 
Sigh. You're still missing the point.

Do you think of ea as a charity? Do you think they deliberately want less profit? Obviously neither is true. So they know this will make them more money for them somehow in the long term. Now the only way this makes them more money is if they plan to make that money elsewhere, and not on the actual service price. So where are they planning to make more money? That's the elephant in the room you all seem to be ignoring.

Netflix is a direct competitor to home video, origin access is not a competitor of their own.

All media and software is moving to the subscription model. It's one of the part of computer innovation that cannot be avoided.
 
That's fine and dandie until all ISP's go to CAPS. No one will want to keep paying all the money it will cost.

Not true. We've been moving to an economy where very few people have more stuff. Simply put, the winners in the economy will get to game and pay more for so it's profitable still even with all the people who can no longer afford it.

It's all about targeting the high end and ignoring the rest now. You make 4x the money off one person who can afford and the other people just don't get to use your product, oh well.
 
Not true. We've been moving to an economy where very few people have more stuff. Simply put, the winners in the economy will get to game and pay more for so it's profitable still even with all the people who can no longer afford it.

It's all about targeting the high end and ignoring the rest now. You make 4x the money off one person who can afford and the other people just don't get to use your product, oh well.
Based on what evidence?

Streaming games are doing the opposite.

Don’t have $700 to buy a 1080ti? Buy the Nvidia Shield for $200 and get it streamed from Nvidia servers with full detail and quality settings.

Don’t have $60 to buy a single new release title? Pay $5 and play it 6 months later in Orgin Access.

Luckily the majority on this forum live in capitalist economies and if one service prices itself too high, it’ll lose out to a service that can undercut their prices.
 
Last edited:
All media and software is moving to the subscription model. It's one of the part of computer innovation that cannot be avoided.
"Innovation."

When media moves to subscription-only then they'll no longer get my money. Simple as that. Hopefully enough people do the same that these companies realize they made a mistake. If not, then I have more than enough media to keep me amused until I go into the ground.
 
That's fine and dandie until all ISP's go to CAPS. No one will want to keep paying all the money it will cost.
No, it's not fine. I want to pay once for a software and just use it. Not get into some agreement where they allow me to play while I keep paying them. And sometimes they'll say go away, we no longer support that game, you can't play it anymore.

People tend to forget that that there are two sides to this. I won't just buy whatever is on offer. If I don't like what they offer I just move along.
 
Back
Top