Ordering Vista 64 From MS?

Wonder if there is a different disk than what the students get vs staff/faculty.

That's what I thought, but mine does not. MS also will not let me order 64bit media, and several attempts to activate 64Bit with my key have been unsuccessful. I have a nice hologrammed disk that says :
MS Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 for upgrade use only.

Actually, I never attempted to "upgrade" an install with my key- only a fresh one. If I were to put in the disk and do an upgrade install, maybe my key would work.

thats wierd that ti doesnt work.. i have used several 32bit upgrade ones from purdue (15 bucks!) and they have all worked regaurdless of 32 or 64bit.

anyway, just do phone activation.. tell em the numbers (its automated too, so its not to slow) and they will activate it.

thats wierd that ti doesnt work.. i have used several 32bit upgrade ones from purdue (15 bucks!) and they have all worked regaurdless of 32 or 64bit.

anyway, just do phone activation.. tell em the numbers (its automated too, so its not to slow) and they will activate it.

Mine shouldn't be any different (U of L), but it seems to be. I'm going to call in the morning...er, afternoon. I realized they're 3 hours behind me.

I assume that I will need my XP Pro disk to validate the install at some point, or no?

No. What I mentioned above IS the install validation. You just gotta run the install from inside an installation of a 'qualifying' version, and Vista is a recent enough version, of course. There's no CD check.

BUT:

The above relates to standalone Vista licenses.

This thread is meandering on and on and on, and there's no getting away from the fact that University-obtained copies of Vista, if they are "$10" copies, are NOT unique, standalone licenses. Not even if they are provided for 'perpetual use' under Campus Agreement provisions. They are ALL Vista installations provided under Volume licensing provisions!

Volume Licensing Reference Guide is here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...icrosoft_Volume_Licensing_Reference_Guide.pdf

(Read Chapter 4 of that)

This is all and only provisions under Volume licensing arrangements whereby Universities (and/or other qualifying institutions with Volume Licensing arrangments, can pass on 'perpetual use rights' to qualifying people within their organisations, in accompaniment with installation kit and unique installation code. Activation requirements, provisions and conditions differ to those which relate to standalone Retail or OEM Home Builder Pack licenses, and the end-user does not have the "right" to obtain, install or use the alternate media installation.

What is unclear to me, from all the technical documents I've been able to find and read, is whether the install codes for the 'installation kits' passed on to Staff and Students are actually MAK activation keys. According to the MS documentation all Volume licensing schess use either KMS or MAK activation, and if it is a unique install code then I suspect it's a MAK key. That'd restrict it to 10 activations over time, rather than the unlimited activations which come with standalone retail or OEM licenses.

More on 'Academic Select' passing on of license/usage rights to students in here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d-4123-9d0c-c80436181742/SelectCG.doc

Ah, damnit. Thanks for the clarification, Weazle. I guess I will purchase a Vista Ultimate upgrade (retail) and save this scholarly 32Bit version I have for another build, or put it on her laptop.

Hey, since I already have an Ultimate 64 image loaded on the machine, if I get the retail upgrade, can I simply put in the disk, run "upgrade install" with the code that comes with it, and hit the ground running? I know I sound dense, but like I said, I've been using an unlimited XP Pro license for years now, and this is new to me.

Hey, since I already have an Ultimate 64 image loaded on the machine, if I get the retail upgrade, can I simply put in the disk, run "upgrade install" with the code that comes with it, and hit the ground running? I know I sound dense, but like I said, I've been using an unlimited XP Pro license for years now, and this is new to me.
I think so. I'm pretty sure I can recall doing just that (by accident rather than by design) when first fiddling around with Vista Home Premium retail upgrade media.

My preference would be, though, to use 'Custom Install' to start off clean again though. Use the 30 days grace as a 'test period' to work out preferred configuration and audit the software library and ditch anything unnecessary or not fully compatible, then start off clean again.

Cool, 'cuz I'm actually using the software now (25 days left) and I'm loving Vista. I would only have a handful of older games that may give me issues, but I still have my older machine to play on if needed. All my other software is to be purchased new. I'm just waiting for the 4870 to get here so I can load graphics drivers and I should be rocking.

Actually, I think I'll muck this install totally with everything I can possibly put on it to test (like you were suggesting). Then start fresh. I'm not usually this dense, but OT, new baby, AND I work nights leaves mey brain a bit "muddy".

Then think carefully, Kil4Thril, about whether you actually NEED the added expense of a Vista Ultimate Upgrade over a Vista Home Premium Upgrade. Unless you actually need and use domain networking you probably don't. Home Premium has all of the Home entertainment and Gaming features which Ultimate offers.

Ohh. The chart I was looking at comparing them was incorrect. I get everything I need from Home Premium for about $80 less than Ultimate. The only disadvantage is I'll have to wait for 64Bit media on that one. Not too big of a deal as I should be able to find an image. FWIW, Home Premium upgrade is 119 right now at Amazon.

Edit:
The ISO I already have (Vista Ultimate 64- retail) contains everything, correct? The only difference is licensing, right? I'm trying to "explore" the DVD in XP32, but I can't really tell anything. My 64 bit system is down for wire management and the new VGA due tomorrow.

I found a 'used' copy of the Retail Home Premium Academic Upgrade Edition selling on Amazon for $US54.99

That'n gives the exact same install as the Retail Home Premium Upgrade, in every respect. The disk itself carries the wording: "For use by a qualified educational user only", but that's effectively anybody from kindergarten to post-graduate students, including people who are 'home schooling' themselves, or household members of a household where such a user resides. In other words, it's basically a non-commercial-use license.

:D

I found a 'used' copy of the Retail Home Premium Academic Upgrade Edition selling on Amazon for $US54.99

That'n gives the exact same install as the Retail Home Premium Upgrade, in every respect. The disk itself carries the wording: "For use by a qualified educational user only", but that's effectively anybody from kindergarten to post-graduate students, including people who are 'home schooling' themselves, or household members of a household where such a user resides. In other words, it's basically a non-commercial-use license.

:D

:D Well, from reading the licensing agreements, it isn't the program itself that is protected so much as the individual user keys. That's why I figure the ISO I have is cool since I have purchased/repurchased my user keys.

Edit:
The ISO I already have (Vista Ultimate 64- retail) contains everything, correct? The only difference is licensing, right? I'm trying to "explore" the DVD in XP32, but I can't really tell anything. My 64 bit system is down for wire management and the new VGA due tomorrow.

Every Vista install disk has 'everything'. The installer checks your install key to determine what to install. If you use a retail Home Premium upgrade install key with that disk, for example, by launching it from within a Vista Ultimate trial install, you won't get presented with the 'Upgrade install' option, because Ultimate -> Home Premium is not a valid upgrade path. You'll only get the 'Custom install' option made available to you.

Volume licensing related install keys act a bit differently, but if you are using a retail install key then you can use it with any Vista install disk and end up with the install the key relates to.

Sweet. I'll do a full re-install anyway. Like I said above, I'm going to intentionally TRY to kill this trial one with any/every software I have here, even if it is Broderbund's Total Home Deluxe. (yes, I have it here. It was free).

.. even if it is Broderbund's Total Home Deluxe. (yes, I have it here. It was free).
heh heh....

The only applications software which is regularly used in my household and which didn't end up functional under Vista was Microsoft's own "Picture It! Photo and Print Studio 2002, British Edition", which was used for greeting card making.

When I found that it was a non-starter I went shopping for an alternative, and ended up getting "Art Explosion Greeting Card Factory Deluxe" for half-price, because I insusted that my purchase was dependent upon a guarantee of Vista compatibility. The best that the retailer could extract from the publisher over the phone was a "We think it's fully compatible, so I ended up being given a 50% discount so they could make the sale. It did prove to be fully compatible, and it's a better Greeting Card alternative than the old Microsoft one.

heh heh....

The only applications software which is regularly used in my household and which didn't end up functional under Vista was Microsoft's own "Picture It! Photo and Print Studio 2002, British Edition", which was used for greeting card making.

When I found that it was a non-starter I went shopping for an alternative, and ended up getting "Art Explosion Greeting Card Factory Deluxe" for half-price, because I insusted that my purchase was dependent upon a guarantee of Vista compatibility. The best that the retailer could extract from the publisher over the phone was a "We think it's fully compatible, so I ended up being given a 50% discount so they could make the sale. It did prove to be fully compatible, and it's a better Greeting Card alternative than the old Microsoft one.

Holy shit! I have that on the shelf. I am the king of buying cheap and FAR software and then never even opening it. I figure, it's free. Except for Codename: Nenah. I hope like hell that one DOESN'T work.:mad:

just wanted to respond to this thread again...

I built my new machine, and used my MSDN Vista 64-bit installation media.

I installed the Ultimate Edition, without a key.

When the OS first loaded, after I set up my drivers, etc, I used the slmgr commands to use my academic 32-bit upgrade key.

Everything worked fine.

Vista is freaking awesome... I have no idea why people talk so much shit about it... perhaps the manufacturers of the hardware they use didn't get off their ass in time to make signed drivers? Regardless.... I think Vista beats XP. All the little stuff... like showing the data transfer speed during a file transfer from another computer on the network.... finally!

Yea, Windows x64 is pretty damn good anyway... and I prefer Vista x64 over XP x64.

Back