• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Ordering Vista 64 From MS?

Guess I'll stop looking for a 64 disk now.:( Welcome back to the club:D

I have 64-bit media acquired from other means, but I have not tried my academic ultimate edition key on it (because I don't have 64-bit hardware yet) Now I'm scared again lol.

You just tried the link I posted and it didn't work?

I just tried your link, and there is no validation picture showing up, so I can't go to the next page. I'm getting some microsoft error message.

Let me get back to you on that, thought it was a link already posted before, damn mornings.

let me know if your's works.

Yea, that's the point.
Some people insist that because it worked for THEIR key, that it will work for ALL keys.
I tried to point that out at the beginning, saying that I had an OEM key where it didn't work, so don't count on it working with a 'weird' key.
I think the MS upgrade site is actually pretty good in that sense. If it doesn't allow you to order other media based on your key, in many cases the other media will probably not work anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking we're fucked.
 
I have 64-bit media acquired from other means, but I have not tried my academic ultimate edition key on it (because I don't have 64-bit hardware yet) Now I'm scared again lol.



I just tried your link, and there is no validation picture showing up, so I can't go to the next page. I'm getting some microsoft error message.



let me know if your's works.



Yeah, I'm thinking we're fucked.

You should be :( It's likely the same media I have :eek:
 
You should be :( It's likely the same media I have :eek:

I don't know about that. I have the official MD5 verified MSDN Technet DVD images..... do you? If so, try this link below:

I just used this link:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=444 (scroll down to the bottom for the Ultimate 64-bit edition)

and I entered my 32-bit Ultimate edition key.

and it let me purchase a 64-bit DVD for $15.99.

I didn't buy it though. Not gonna buy it unless I try my MSDN media, and that doesn't work lol.

The media shouldn't matter though.... it's gotta be the key that matters.

And why the fuck will this site let me order a 64-bit DVD, but the other one will only let me have a 32-bit DVD????
 
I
I just tried your link, and there is no validation picture showing up, so I can't go to the next page. I'm getting some microsoft error message.

I guess try the link again. I get the validation picture on my system.
 
I guess try the link again. I get the validation picture on my system.

I got to the link from the main windows marketplace site. thanks! (as it says in my above post, it worked, and gave me a chance to purchase it for $15.99)

(why the site linked to in the first post of this thread doesn't let me have 64-bit- I have no fucking clue. either it's a fluke, or the site that works SHOULDN'T) lol
 
Nope. It wouldn't matter which image I have, my license is apparently strictly for 32 bit. How the hell am I supposed to utilize 8GB of ram with a 32 bit OS? I wish I had held off until I was sure about my OS before ordering some other software.



So, if I go purchase Home Premium retail (Wal Mart, Target, BB, CC), then will the site allow me a 64bit dvd? Also, if I install the 32 bit in the meantime, will it allow me to validate on a reinstall?
 
ruh-roh. maybe cause your key isn't an Ultimate key?

nah, that can't be right. It doesn't matter which version of Vista you have- you should be able to get a 64-bit version too!

It must be a licensing thing. That's strange. Hell, call Microsoft! Maybe they'll tell you what's going on! That's what I would do.

All I know is, if I enter my key when I try to install 64-bit, and it doesn't work- that's who I'm calling.
 
Okay, to summarize what's going on here, for people that don't feel like reading the whole thread:

You can legally obtain Windows Vista from Universities, if you are eligible to do so. You may, or may not, be able to use 64-bit Vista with your 32-bit key.

There are a few categories of people here:

1. People that purchase 32-bit, and try their key on the site link in the first post- and are only given the option to purchase 32-bit media (like me)

2. People that purchase 32-bit, and try
this link, and are given the option to purchase 64-bit media (like me).

3. People that try the above link, and are not allowed to purchase 64-bit media.

4. People that can purchase 64-bit media on both sites.

Possible explanation:

The licensing agreements of the some specific academic institutions prohibit 64-bit media. However, if it is an ultimate-edition key (like I have) the 2nd site gives the okay- because ultimate edition is supposed to come with 64-bit anyway.

Thoughts?

If someone has an academic Ultimate edition key, and it does not work on this site to order the 64-bit edition, please let us know.
 
oh, yeah, something else-

if your key is for the "upgrade" version, and you want to do a clean install, you need to install it, not enter your key, not activate it, and then "upgrade" again, right?

maybe that's the problem you are having?

do this, it should be easier than the "double install":

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032785816&postcount=3

I installed Vista from a friends retail 64-bit Ultimate disk with a 32-bit Ultimate Upgrade key from my school. Worked perfectly
 
I installed Vista from a friends retail 64-bit Ultimate disk with a 32-bit Ultimate Upgrade key from my school. Worked perfectly

good for you..... ? lol what, you want a cookie?

lol just kidding with you. I think his problem is the activation method he's using.
 
OK! My experiences:

Bought OEM Vista Ultimate 32Bit
Borrowed Vista Ultimate 64 Bit DVD, enter 32 bit ultimate key--> success...

So, using a 32 bit key works on a 64 bit disk. I do not think a key is tied to either 32 or 64 bit; just the version of Vista. Just my $0.02
 
let me know if your's works.

Ok I tried the link you posted http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=444 and it will not accept my academic Vista Ultimate key or a OEM 32 Vista Home Prem. Upgrade I got from the egg.

I get this: We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred: No Offer Found.
What that really means is "Haha cheap ass, your not that damn lucky."

Don't know how in the hell you got it to work. I'm thinking this key will only work academic copy and I need to get over it waste more money and buy a 64 bit disk.
 
Ok I tried the link you posted http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=444 and it will not accept my academic Vista Ultimate key or a OEM 32 Vista Home Prem. Upgrade I got from the egg.

I get this: We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred: No Offer Found.
What that really means is "Haha cheap ass, your not that damn lucky."

Don't know how in the hell you got it to work. I'm thinking this key will only work academic copy and I need to get over it waste more money and buy a 64 bit disk.

I dunno man, it's really weird that my key works on that site, but not on the other one. I'm stumped. The family member I got it from, who is attending a university, is entitled to 2 keys (one for their laptop, and one for their desktop I guess). And, since they only have a laptop- they gave me the desktop key. It's not a university purchase program- it's a microsoft deal that is included with their tuition (so, it's kinda like a purchase program, but they have already paid for it, and just get the key from the school IT website with their personal student log-in info). It's definitely a microsoft-esque interface on the school's website where you get the stuff.

Man, this stuff is so complicated compared to windows in year's past. (well, the enforcement is more complicated at least...) Not to mention all the conflicting info out there- especially on forums!

I'm just trying to figure out the difference between my academic key, and your academic key. Mine works for this site, and only gives me 32bit on the first one. Your's doesn't work at all on this site. I don't get it.
 
Okay, to summarize what's going on here, for people that don't feel like reading the whole thread:

You can legally obtain Windows Vista from Universities, if you are eligible to do so. You may, or may not, be able to use 64-bit Vista with your 32-bit key.

snip


Okay, I'ma wanting to know precisely what people 'got' when they 'got' Vista from a University. I've spent a considerable period of time researching the available and relevent licensing models, because the waffle in this discussion is all over the place and people are posting "my experience is..." stuff rather than accurate fact.


Basically, I'd like to know if the people saying "I got Vista from the University" were actually provided with a genuine, hologrammed Microsoft installation DVD, and if so then how much it cost. TOOL1075, for example, has mentioned earlier in the thread that he obtained an installation key code from a family member who was provided with "two" (presumably install codes) from his university. Was that accompanied by a genuine hologrammed install disk? If you did not get provided with a genuine install disk along with that install key code then you do NOT, actually, 'own a Vista license'. It's as simple as that.


With regard to the 'Academic Licenses' people speak of, there are a couple of ways an individual can end up, independently, actually 'owning a license' for Vista:

Academic license:

The ONLY Vista product available as an 'Academic license' is the Retail package "Vista Home Premium Academic Upgrade Edition". That'n is sold over the shelf in stores as well as via Universities and other 'Microsoft Authorised Education Resellers', and it sells for roughly $US80-$US90. As said, it's a retail product packaged in the blister case. If you purchase that you get 32-bit install media, and are entitled to order the 64-bit install media.

(Here in Australia, because the legal scenario differs from that in the US, this particular product license is effectively a 'personal use only' retail product, which basically anybody can purchase and use for non-commercial purposes. Here, it can legitimately be purchased over the counter by anybody, no questions asked. In the US it is still a non-commercial personal license, but there are more stringent purchase eligibility requirements in place and proof of eligibility is almost inevitably required.).


Academic Discounting:

There is also a scheme in existence whereby students at qualified educational institutions can purchase individual, stand-alone licenses at VERY heavily discounted prices.

http://www.journeyed.com/select/

Selected OS versions are made available very cheaply to students and teachers, and again these are individual, non-commercial use licenses. This is a formally Microsoft-sanctioned licensing scheme. Vista Business or Vista Ultimate for around the same price (or a little higher) as the Retail Home Premium Academic Upgrade. I am unsure if this licensing scheme provides eligibility for both installation mediums, of if it is restricted to the originally provided installation similarly to OEM System Builder Pack licensing.


Potentially, a third method of obtaining cheap, individual 'education' licenses for Microsoft products exists, but to the best of my knowledge it is NOT made available in the US in any form at all. That's the scheme by which Microsoft provides very cheap software to people in Developing Countries. Here in Australia that scheme has been 'extended' to allow Australian Tertiary Faculty and Students to purchase Office 2007 Ultimate at a very cheap price:

http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au/store/msshau/ContentTheme/pbPage.microsoft_office_ultimate

No Operating system products available this way (in Australia anyway - developing countries can get them.) Students must have a qualifying university email address in order to be able to use the service, and $AU75 gets you a 'non-commercial-use' Office 2007 Ultimate stand-alone license. You get provided with install code and download link, and are entitled to order standalone genuine hologrammed install disk.


Academic Volume Licensing:

Beyond those (and relevent for anybody who is saying "I got Vista for free" or "I got Vista for ten bucks" or somesuch in relation to a Vista install obtained from University) are the volume licensing schemes available.

MSDNAA (Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance) is one such. Microsoft Open Licensing is another. With these you get an install code but NOT a genuine hologrammed install disk. You don't get a genuine install disk because, basically, you never get to actually 'own' a license. The University owns the license under these schemes, and students only ever actually get 'permission' to use an installation of that license which has been put in place on their personal computer.

If it is MSDNAA (the 'education' version of volume licensing) then students and staff having an install on their personal machines aren't legally supposed to be even provided with an install disk. The university is supposed to make the installation available as download via their servers, and is also allowed to make up to 50 copies of an install disk, which they are supposed to make available under 'lending library' conditions and in relation to which they are supposed to audit and report on who has borrowed and used copies.

If your University has 'sold' you a copy of Vista, providing you with install key and a burnt install disk, then this (or Open Licensing) is what it'll be, and don't kid yourself that you actually 'own' a Vista license! Obviously, under these provisions you are not legally permitted to order alternate install media!
 
SNIP


If someone has an academic Ultimate edition key, and it does not work on this site to order the 64-bit edition, please let us know.


That is where I stand right now. My disk is an Ultimate 32, and I cannot validate an U64 install.


Odd question. If I can load XP Pro on the new machine, then can I simply purchase a Vista "upgrade" package? The only thing that worries me is the license I have for XP (it too, came from the school, but a bit different ;)). I was an employee/student at the time of purchase.


Before someone gives ME a hard time, my wife is a high-ranking manager at the school and a student still. I got the hell out so I could actually get paid :cool:
 
Before someone gives ME a hard time, my wife is a high-ranking manager at the school and a student still. I got the hell out so I could actually get paid :cool:

don't worry, we're not all douchebags.

You can try the slmgr commands that I linked to earlier in the thread. Might save you some time. Try it out- can't hurt anything, right?:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032785816&postcount=3

That's so you don't have to install another OS first. (perfectly legal if you have a proper previous copy of XP, etc)- that's my disclaimer for all you faggots out there who are just looking for an excuse to cry "omg pirate!!!@@!11111"

edit:

okay, so, wait- did you do the slmgr thing already? Or did you just enter your key at the beginning?
 
don't worry, we're not all douchebags.

You can try the slmgr commands that I linked to earlier in the thread. Might save you some time. Try it out- can't hurt anything, right?:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032785816&postcount=3

That's so you don't have to install another OS first. (perfectly legal if you have a proper previous copy of XP, etc)- that's my disclaimer for all you faggots out there who are just looking for an excuse to cry "omg pirate!!!@@!11111"

edit:

okay, so, wait- did you do the slmgr thing already? Or did you just enter your key at the beginning?

I just entered the key at the beginning. I have it loading currently to try slmgr thingy. My XP Pro is actually a volume license from the school. They let me have it as I worked from home to take care of passwords and other support in some lab areas that IT wasn't trained to enter (and I got a bit of a raise). I'm just not sure if it would qualify on their upgrades.
 
something tells me the slmgr thing is gonna work fine. If not, then at least you know your key will definitely not work for 64-bit! lol
 
edit:

nevermind. not worth it.

Instead of my big rant, calling you a douchebag, I will provide the forum with these links:

that's OK. I got the full rant in the email post notification :D


I'm not being a douchebag, not calling you a liar, and not suggesting that you are 'pirating'.

I'm simply a bloke who has extensive knowledge and understanding of Microsoft licensing provisions, gained during quite a few years of professionally reporting IT related information in the Media, and I'm trying to unravel the minefield of confusion regarding the 'Academic' software people get, and explain what they are legitimately entitled to.

The links you provided most DEFINITELY indicate a volume licensing scheme. The use of the term 'Campus Agreement' on the website you linked is actually a misnomer. ('Campus agreement' is a scheme available under subscription licensing provisions.)

What you are referring to (and linking) is what is called a 'Student Select' option made available under 'Open Select' volume licensing provisions. Under this scheme students can be provided with an installation kit (including unique install key) for which the 'rights of use' can be transferred to the student upon graduation, if the appropriate forms and individual agreements have been completed and submitted. If those arrangements and forms have not been addressed and completed, the installation must (legally) be deleted upon graduation. 'Student Select' does NOT entitle the student to transfer right of use to a third party, and the install key MAY carry a '10 activations only' restriction.

Student Select does NOT legitimately entitle the user to obtain or use the alternate install media.




No need to be name-calling. Truth if the situation here is that people are engaging in supposition and speculation, whilst I've simply sought to unravel and uncover the FACT of the situation, for the benefit of anybody reading or interested.

Volume licensing is quite convoluted and complex.
 
How long will Ultimate 64 wait before hounding you for a License Key? I have been playing with it for a few hours now, and it has never asked me for one. I'm afraid to go through the slmgr fix because I figure my code won't work and it'll stop everything I've done (installed FF, drivers, etc). Hell MS updates alone can make you an old man. :D

I tried the slmgr workaround. No go. My license is strictly 32 bit.:mad:
 
Odd question. If I can load XP Pro on the new machine, then can I simply purchase a Vista "upgrade" package? The only thing that worries me is the license I have for XP (it too, came from the school, but a bit different ;)). I was an employee/student at the time of purchase.
In practical terms, if you have a Vista install disk and a Vista 'Upgrade' install key you can install, activate and validate the installation simply by running out a 'Trial' install (i.e. installing without entering the install key code) and then running the Upgrade install from within that. The installer doesn't check if the install it's being run from is activated, doesn't check the license type etc etc. It simply checks that it's not a "too early" Windows version.

It'd run fine from your XP Pro install.

You get to choose between 'Upgrade install' and 'Custom install'. Custom install will create a dual-boot with clean Vista install if it's placed on a different partition or drive to the 'qualifying' install. It'll create a clean Vista install if placed on the same partition as the qualifying install, but with all traces of the previous install quarantined in a 'WINDOWS.OLD' folder.


How long will Ultimate 64 wait before hounding you for a License Key?

It won't prompt you until a few days before your 'grace period' or trial install expires.
 
Cool. At least I can save some money by getting the upgrade license. Since I've already loaded U64 on the machine (works very nicely, BTW), will I be able to just enter the key, or will it require a full reload? I assume that I will need my XP Pro disk to validate the install at some point, or no?
 
Basically, I'd like to know if the people saying "I got Vista from the University" were actually provided with a genuine, hologrammed Microsoft installation DVD, and if so then how much it cost.

What I got was a real hologrammed Microsoft installation DVD with a key sticker from the university for $10 (no burnt disk here). I've checked the files on the disk and they appear to be the same install files that are on a retail Vista 32 Ultimate.

Yes it is subjected to a volume license agreement and is under the same agreements as you posted for students:

What you are referring to (and linking) is what is called a 'Student Select' option made available under 'Open Select' volume licensing provisions. Under this scheme students can be provided with an installation kit (including unique install key) for which the 'rights of use' can be transferred to the student upon graduation, if the appropriate forms and individual agreements have been completed and submitted. If those arrangements and forms have not been addressed and completed, the installation must (legally) be deleted upon graduation. 'Student Select' does NOT entitle the student to transfer right of use to a third party, and the install key MAY carry a '10 activations only' restriction.

For staff/faculty the agreements are different from what I was told. I will get the true info on that shortly.

MSDNAA (Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance) is one such. Microsoft Open Licensing is another. With these you get an install code but NOT a genuine hologrammed install disk. You don't get a genuine install disk because, basically, you never get to actually 'own' a license. The University owns the license under these schemes, and students only ever actually get 'permission' to use an installation of that license which has been put in place on their personal computer.

If it is MSDNAA (the 'education' version of volume licensing) then students and staff having an install on their personal machines aren't legally supposed to be even provided with an install disk. The university is supposed to make the installation available as download via their servers, and is also allowed to make up to 50 copies of an install disk, which they are supposed to make available under 'lending library' conditions and in relation to which they are supposed to audit and report on who has borrowed and used copies.

As for Academic Volume Licensing both students and staff/faculty have the ability to download (from school server) or buy a true hologrammed Microsoft installation DVD, like I did. This gives you the ability to install the software yourself and not by some IT staff on your computer. And yes the computer which the software is being installed on are their personal computers not university owned. As for 50 copies, what I saw was boxes (hundreds) of MS disk in sealed packages (delivered to the university in this state) ready to be sold. Don't know if this helps or not.

Obviously, under these provisions you are not legally permitted to order alternate install media!

Yes this is what it has ended out to be at lease for me.
 
Thread is so long....so only one (my have missed someone) person has gotten from their university a 32-bit Vista Ultimate Upgrade disk with key and has unlock a retail Vista 64 Ultimate disk.

Please post if you have done this without any problems. Searching for a disk is getting old.
 
Searching for a disk is getting old.

Are you aware that all DVDs are the same? Because of the MS upgrading system, the installation media already contains all Windows components from the most basic release to Ultimate.
So as long as you have a 64-bit DVD, it doesn't matter if it's an OEM, retail, upgrade, Basic, Home, Business, Ultimate or whatever.
They are all the same, only the labels are different (just printed to match the version you originally buy). It's the key that decides what you can install, and under which conditions.
Perhaps that makes it easier for you to find a disk.
 
What I got was a real hologrammed Microsoft installation DVD with a key sticker from the university for $10 (no burnt disk here). I've checked the files on the disk and they appear to be the same install files that are on a retail Vista 32 Ultimate.

Yes it is subjected to a volume license agreement and is under the same agreements as you posted for students:



For staff/faculty the agreements are different from what I was told. I will get the true info on that shortly.



As for Academic Volume Licensing both students and staff/faculty have the ability to download (from school server) or buy a true hologrammed Microsoft installation DVD, like I did. This gives you the ability to install the software yourself and not by some IT staff on your computer. And yes the computer which the software is being installed on are their personal computers not university owned. As for 50 copies, what I saw was boxes (hundreds) of MS disk in sealed packages (delivered to the university in this state) ready to be sold. Don't know if this helps or not.



Yes this is what it has ended out to be at lease for me.

I got the same disk. Shit brown in color, part number 66R-02594. Mine came in a sleeve with "Microsoft" pressed into it, and the License Key sticker on the back.

Out of curiosity, does your license key have 32wp at the end? I'm wondering if that has any bearing.
 
Are you aware that all DVDs are the same? Because of the MS upgrading system, the installation media already contains all Windows components from the most basic release to Ultimate.
So as long as you have a 64-bit DVD, it doesn't matter if it's an OEM, retail, upgrade, Basic, Home, Business, Ultimate or whatever.
They are all the same, only the labels are different (just printed to match the version you originally buy). It's the key that decides what you can install, and under which conditions.
Perhaps that makes it easier for you to find a disk.

Yea I knew that but I can't find anyone that has Vista 64 disk at all. Except for the people who have already lost theirs or trashed it due to being 64bit :rolleyes: Good info none the less.

I got the same disk. Shit brown in color, part number 66R-02594. Mine came in a sleeve with "Microsoft" pressed into it, and the License Key sticker on the back.

Out of curiosity, does your license key have 32wp at the end? I'm wondering if that has any bearing.

Mine was in a sealed plastic bag with the Vista disk in a black sleeve with also"Microsoft" pressed into it, and the License Key sticker on the back. Mine wasn't shit brown maybe a metallic tan. Also have a different part number but does starts with 66R-. The license key is also different at the end too, my last five are letters.
 
Scali2: Just to make sure I understand you correctly....you tried the unlock a copy of Vista 64 Ultimate with your student Vista 32 Ultimate and it didn't work?

If this is true then there is no reason for me to keep looking.
 
Scali2

I just have a quick couple questions for you, when you tried to use your key (you say 32Bit) on a 64bit media, what was it? Pure OEM, branded OEM(HP, Dell, doen't matter), Retail, VLS or Academic? What kind of key is/was it?

2nd, I know that *MOST* Vista medias are the same, and it simply decides what version it is by CD Key (read note 1), but amuse me, what media/from what source did you obtain it? Pure OEM, branded OEM(HP, Dell, doen't matter), Retail, or other?

3rd, and Last. How did you try to put in the CD Key?

A. Do it AFTER it had been installed (Trial/Grace Install, THEN attempted to input CD Key)

or(Most likely)

B. At Install when it asks for CD Key

Thanks :) I'm simply curious as to what type of licence you key was that may(or may not) restrict it to 32 Bit Only.

Note 1:
Code:
All Vista medias are not the same, Branded OEMs are diffrent, as are *SOME*, very few thou, 64bit Home Premium Retail/OEM and Business Edition Media Retail/OEM, also most downloaded (from a legit msdn source) medias I've encountered(Business/Home Premium) are smaller in size than a media iso/disc I know for a fact contains all copies.
 
Scali2: Just to make sure I understand you correctly....you tried the unlock a copy of Vista 64 Ultimate with your student Vista 32 Ultimate and it didn't work?

If this is true then there is no reason for me to keep looking.

Not Scali, but, This is what I have tried, in several different ways.
 
At my school, students cannot get huge education discounts on any Microsoft software, but faculty/staff can, and I happen to work for the university so my boss gets that discount. She went to our bookstore for me and got a hologrammed, 32-bit Vista Ultimate upgrade cd for $10. I then immediately borrowed my friend's regular Vista Ultimate 64-bit dvd (not upgrade), installed, and used the key that my boss got me to activate it without any issues right at the beginning of the install.

So just my little bit of experience with academic discounts, even if students at my school are not open to the discount directly.
 
At my school, students cannot get huge education discounts on any Microsoft software, but faculty/staff can, and I happen to work for the university so my boss gets that discount. She went to our bookstore for me and got a hologrammed, 32-bit Vista Ultimate upgrade cd for $10. I then immediately borrowed my friend's regular Vista Ultimate 64-bit dvd (not upgrade), installed, and used the key that my boss got me to activate it without any issues right at the beginning of the install.

So just my little bit of experience with academic discounts, even if students at my school are not open to the discount directly.

That's insane since you should have exactly the same licensing permissions I have.


Oh, I thought of something. If I were to install the 32bit media I have (activation and all), could I then use the 64bit image I have for an "upgrade" install? Or, would I still need an additional code?
 
The Product Key for a given edition/version (editions are the type, like Home Premium, Business, Ultimate - versions are the OEM, Retail, MSDN, etc) works for the 32 bit or 64 bit builds of that edition/version.
 
The Product Key for a given edition/version (editions are the type, like Home Premium, Business, Ultimate - versions are the OEM, Retail, MSDN, etc) works for the 32 bit or 64 bit builds of that edition/version.

That's what I thought, but mine does not. MS also will not let me order 64bit media, and several attempts to activate 64Bit with my key have been unsuccessful. I have a nice hologrammed disk that says :
MS Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 for upgrade use only.

Actually, I never attempted to "upgrade" an install with my key- only a fresh one. If I were to put in the disk and do an upgrade install, maybe my key would work.
 
No, it won't, unfortunately. Call 'em up and tell them the situation. Tell them what disc you have, that you're unable to upgrade the installation with a clean install even though you have a legit product, give them ONLY the info they request, and they'll give you a new key.
 
Back
Top