• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Ordering Vista 64 From MS?

The whole activation scheme is irritating. I sure hope MS changes it for Win7.
 
fuck it, I'm just going to burn the fucking 64bit DVD iso, and try to install it with my Ultimate key. If it doesn't work, I'll let you guys know. Hopefully I can do it without continuing the full install, because I don't want to install this yet.

I'm at that fucking frustration level right now. Is that a free dl of the iso file for 64, having a time finding the link this morning. Our IT have turned into Vista Nazi's about get a 64 disk.

Edit: Ok you have to pay to dl.

To understand this better than mud:

1. I can only activate a OEM copy of Vista Premium (from newegg) one time (other than calling the center). yes/no

2. I can only activate a academic Vista 32 Ultimate one time (other than calling the center). yes/no

3. If I found a Vista 64 Ultimate disk I should be able to use the academic Vista Ultimate to unlock it. yes/no


Originally Posted by Cyrilix View Post
Academic licenses work. I got my Vista x64 SP1 DVD in the mail just recently. My school only had 32-bit DVDs, so I had to resort to this option (also, I wanted SP1 integrated on the disc itself).
I did the same thing, it worked perfectly.

Still can't understand why some academic copies worked on getting a 64 disk and others don't?
 
heh heh...

You've been told that a coupla times already in the thread :)

It is not allowed to have both the x86 and x64 version activated at the same time, by the way. Not even when they are on the same PC (and as such can not be used at the same time). I specifically checked this with Microsoft back when I installed mine, because I wanted to install the 32-bit version as a fallback.
Correct, according to the legalese fine print.

Works just fine if you do install both though, and again it's just a call centre activation. (Maybe not even that, if sufficient time has elapsed since the initial install was activated>)

Me: Need to activate coz the automatic thingy shat itself.
Call center fella: Is this copy of windows only on the one computer?
Me: Yep!
Call center fella: Okay, here's your activation code!


Oh! That's "specifically checking" from within a different framework of reference, by the way. I was asked if it'd work, and when you write technical articles about stuff it kinda pays to check and verify what you're claiming.

It's a rather ridiculous licensing restriction, actually, considering that you can't really USE two installations in dual-boot concurrently. You gotta boot into one or the other. The restriction is really aimed at stopping people from having a second install running in virtual hardware emulation, where you CAN have the two installations running concurrently.

You can imagine the courtroom proceeding if MS ever tried to prosecute somebody for doing it:

Defense Lawyer: "So it's fine for this person to use the 32-bit install disk to put Windows on the machine and use it to run a program?
MS: "Yes!"
Defense Lawyer: "And then when this person finishes using that program, and wants to instead run a 64-bit program, it is permissible for him to remove the 32-bit installation, use the 64-bit disk to install and activate the 64-bit installation, and then run that program?"
MS: "Yes!"
Defense Lawyer: "And then when this person has finished running that second program, it is permissible for him to remove the 64-bit installation, use the 32-bit disk again to install and activate a further 32-bit installation, and use that?"
MS: "Yes!"
Defense Lawyer: "And then when this person has finished doing that, it is permissible for this person to again remove the 32-bit installation and put in place a 64-bit installation again?"
MS: "Yes!"
Defense Lawyer: "But it isn't permissible for this person to just leave both in place, when he can't even use both at the same time?"
MS: "No!"
Judge: "Fuck off and don't be so stupid!"



I'd have to agree, by the way, that if a 32-bit install is wanted as dual boot it makes more sense for that to be a 32-bit XP install. I don't actually USE a 32-bit/64-bit vista dual-boot, and really can't see much point nor purpose to having one.
 
heh heh...

You've been told that a coupla times already in the thread :)


by "cool" I meant:

"fuck this shit, I don't give a damn" lol.

If there was an "emoticon" for "throwing your hands up in the air and chunking your keyboard through a window" then I would have used that, instead.

So,

cool.

lol
 
Still can't understand why some academic copies worked on getting a 64 disk and others don't?

neither do I.

oh, and no dude. it's not a free download if you're not a MSDN or technet or whatever the fuck you call it member. So, yeah, you have to "find it" if you want it.

sigh.
 
I get 32-bit Vista Ultimate Upgrade from my school.

I installed Vista from a 64-bit retail disk with the school provided serial number. Every student gets a unique key.

I've tried to get a 64-bit disk from MS, but whenever I enter my key, the only option it gives is a 32-bit version on CD's

well holy shit, how could I have missed this post.

dude, you have just verified my problem. So, the 64-bit version will work with my key.

Thank you. I apologize for not seeing your post.

Still, I wonder why they won't let us get the media from them (microsoft)????

Strange.
 
neither do I.

oh, and no dude. it's not a free download if you're not a MSDN or technet or whatever the fuck you call it member. So, yeah, you have to "find it" if you want it.

sigh.

Like everything else in this secret freemasons
 
well holy shit, how could I have missed this post.

dude, you have just verified my problem. So, the 64-bit version will work with my key.

Thank you. I apologize for not seeing your post.

Still, I wonder why they won't let us get the media from them (microsoft)????

Strange.

We all explained this in our replies. You keep skimming, bobbing & weaving but not reading anything here!
 
dude, you have just verified my problem. So, the 64-bit version will work with my key.
I may be a little late to the party, nor do I feel like incurring a migraine to read through the last few pages of debates, but there shouldn't have been any debate on whether or not you can install Vista x64 with your key. That's been common knowledge since shortly after Vista was released. If you were referring to your key working on Microsoft's website, there doesn't always seem to be a definitive answer to what will work and what won't...which is why I usually just suggest people try it find out for themselves by entering their key on the website. Each time this is asked, some say OEM and Academic keys won't work, while others report that they were able to do so successfully.
 
Still, I wonder why they won't let us get the media from them (microsoft)????

Strange.

this is my confusion.

oh, and by the way....

his was the only post that really explained my problem and gave the answer- because he is in the exact situation as me.

people can say "keys will work with both versions" all day long, but until the problem with Microsoft's website was duplicated by someone else, I couldn't really believe anything with certainty. but yeah, it's a lot to read through. oh, and posting early in the morning is dangerous- for future reference lol
 
TOOL1075, you're only making yourself confused because you're worrying about what happens when you use the CD key with the ordermedia website. That website isn't connected, in any way, to installation and activation procedures. The restrictions there are simply checking to see what license type and version your key relates to, so it can offer you the media you're entitled to. If the version and license your key relates to doesn't entitle you to alternate media you don't get it offered to you.


Like everything else to do with Microsoft, it's not foolproof, but that's the 'theory' of it anyways.

Doesn't impact on whether or not your install will work!
 
So this means a couple that posted using the academic key to a get a 64 copy were telling us a little story? :p
 
So this means a couple that posted using the academic key to a get a 64 copy were telling us a little story? :p
That's always possible, but this is what I meant in my above post. Anytime this question is asked, you'll always find people claming that their academic key let them order the x64 media. You'll also find others saying their request was denied.
 
1. I can only activate a OEM copy of Vista Premium (from newegg) one time (other than calling the center). yes/no
Depends if you install often or not. If you install frequently it'll fail to automatically activate. (Retail will too.) If you install soon after a previous install it'll fail automatic activation. But if you only install every once in a long while it should work just fine.

Call Center activation is no problem, by the way. Ot's a quite painless procedure.

2. I can only activate a academic Vista 32 Ultimate one time (other than calling the center). yes/no
Dunno. I haven't played with one of those University-issue jobbies.

3. If I found a Vista 64 Ultimate disk I should be able to use the academic Vista Ultimate to unlock it. yes/no
Yes.



Anytime this question is asked, you'll always find people claming that their academic key let them order the x64 media. You'll also find others saying their request was denied.
And if I turn up you'll find me saying that, just like everything else Microsoft has as a checking procedure, it isn't foolproof and mileage can sometimes vary.

Or that simply burning a copy is the quickest and easiest way. :)




Still can't understand why some academic copies worked on getting a 64 disk and others don't?[/QUOTE]
 
Works just fine if you do install both though, and again it's just a call centre activation. (Maybe not even that, if sufficient time has elapsed since the initial install was activated>)

Me: Need to activate coz the automatic thingy shat itself.
Call center fella: Is this copy of windows only on the one computer?
Me: Yep!
Call center fella: Okay, here's your activation code!

That would have worked in the XP age (a strategy which I actually (ab)used myself). But Vista periodically checks to refresh its activation (some variations do anyway). So you'll be making a lot of calls, which I'm sure will get suspicious at the call center sooner or later.
Perhaps you overlooked that detail?

I'd have to agree, by the way, that if a 32-bit install is wanted as dual boot it makes more sense for that to be a 32-bit XP install. I don't actually USE a 32-bit/64-bit vista dual-boot, and really can't see much point nor purpose to having one.

Yes, hindsight is always 20:20. Back when I first installed Vista, it was all brand new, and nobody really knew what would or wouldn't work. So I wanted to be able to fall back to a 32-bit version if the 64-bit version failed to run something.
But now I know that in nearly all cases the software that didn't work, wasn't compatible with Vista in general, and the 32/64-bit issue didn't really matter.
 
That would have worked in the XP age (a strategy which I actually (ab)used myself). But Vista periodically checks to refresh its activation (some variations do anyway). So you'll be making a lot of calls, which I'm sure will get suspicious at the call center sooner or later.
Perhaps you overlooked that detail?
Nope.

I just pay no heed the the "OMGZ! Vista has SuperSleuth stuff in it and will catch you out whatever you do!" stuff, because experience tells me different. Try this on for size:

Here at home I have two Vista boxes here in daily, household usage. One was installed Jan 31st, 2007, soon as Vista was retail released. The other'n was initially installed a coupla months later, when I cooked my old XP box and had to build another for household use. Each has its own license.

But late last year, after experiencing some persistent problems with the second box, I reorganised the thing, changed drives around, wiped it and reinstalled Vista on it. Thing is, though, I picked up the wrong Vista pack to install with. Ended up with the exact same license on two different machines at the same time.

It worked fine, activated OK and I simply didn't bother about it. I'm kinda casual about stuff like that, at home anyway. I've even done the same thing before, with an XP Pro license.

One of those Vista boxes never gets turned off. the other rarely gets turned off. Both have basically default vista installs and update/validate/whatever automatically. And it's been humming along like that just fine for about 10 months or more now. If they 'periodically check' then they don't do it too bloody often!

Do I think it'd play out any different, over time, for a 32/64 dual boot? Nope, not at all. I've seen so much waffling, conjecture and fear about Vista activation it's staggering, but none of it has ever been reflected in the real world experiences of myself or others I know. Worst thing I've ever seen anyone confronted with was a simple phone call.
 
Do I think it'd play out any different, over time, for a 32/64 dual boot? Nope, not at all. I've seen so much waffling, conjecture and fear about Vista activation it's staggering, but none of it has ever been reflected in the real world experiences of myself or others I know. Worst thing I've ever seen anyone confronted with was a simple phone call.

Well, one famous hacked version of Vista actually used a virtual machine image of a Windows Server machine set up to accept activation requests:
http://www.playfuls.com/news_05480_Hackers_Release_Permanent_Spoof_Vista_Activation_Server.html

But apparently the official MAK activation 'sticks'.
 
But apparently the official MAK activation 'sticks'.

Interesting, and although that doesn't negate what I was saying above in relation to OEM or Retail license, it certainly has implication for the University provided 'Academic' Vista installation keys, since those are Volume Licensing related install codes. I'd never actually studied up on the provisions for Volume licensing before (since I don't use it and it doesn't relate to the stuff I write about from time to time) and now that I have I guess people with those 'Academic version' disks and keys they got from the Uni better not reinstall and reactivate too often, in case they exceed their set limits.

It all kinda explains some of the misconceptions about activation which are out and about in circulation. People talking up restrictions applying to Volume Licensing arrangements which don't apply for Retail and stand-alone OEM packages.



BUT!

I'm now kinda confused regarding the comments about university provided copies of Vista Ultimate. I was of the impression that Corporate Volume licensing only covers Vista Business and Vista Enterprise, and that MSDNAA does not cover Vista Ultimate either.

WTF are these Vista Ultimates which unis are handing out?
 
Apparently, the one listed at my wife's school SAYS Business Ultimate 32bit. I hope like hell it has the 64 in it, or the website will work for me. If not ........(shifty eyes).....
 
Apparently, the one listed at my wife's school SAYS Business Ultimate 32bit. I hope like hell it has the 64 in it, or the website will work for me. If not ........(shifty eyes).....

If its not retail then good luck.
 
Retail or OEM has the capability to utilize an x64 installation. He only needs to acquire the x64 image and/or disc in order to do so.
 
There is no such thing as "Business Ultimate" Vista!

That's what it said on her order site. The little icon picture was too small to see anything. We'll find out when she finally picks the damned thing up. I'm pretty sure these are retail.
 
Then the 'order site' contained incorrect information. Vista Business and Vista Ultimate are different versions of the OS. There is also a version (available only to Software Assurance customers) called Vista Enterprise, which basically entitles the license holder to all the 'Ultimate' features plus the extra language packs, networking features and desktop management features to suit large, global corporations.

But describing a version as 'Business Ultimate' is simply incorrect terminology.
 
Then the 'order site' contained incorrect information. Vista Business and Vista Ultimate are different versions of the OS. There is also a version (available only to Software Assurance customers) called Vista Enterprise, which basically entitles the license holder to all the 'Ultimate' features plus the extra language packs, networking features and desktop management features to suit large, global corporations.

But describing a version as 'Business Ultimate' is simply incorrect terminology.

The order site is a complete crock of shit. I shows a retail Ultimate box, I got a U32 disk in a sleeve with a key. The site won't let me order. Any of you guys with U64 live near Louisville:mad::mad:
 
The order site is a complete crock of shit. I shows a retail Ultimate box, I got a U32 disk in a sleeve with a key. The site won't let me order. Any of you guys with U64 live near Louisville:mad::mad:

Welcome to the Club:)
 
Well, I can say definitively that my Ultimate 32 student code does NOT work with Ultimate 64 :mad: My budget's shot to hell, too, so who knows when I'll actually be able to USE this machine :(
 
Well, I can say definitively that my Ultimate 32 student code does NOT work with Ultimate 64 :mad: My budget's shot to hell, too, so who knows when I'll actually be able to USE this machine :(

So apparently Windows IS able to tell the difference between keys to the point where it accepts certain keys only for 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
 
So apparently Windows IS able to tell the difference between keys to the point where it accepts certain keys only for 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

Kinda comical the way people keep raising same old same old over and over, starting debates all over again.

'Student' distributed academic licenses obtained from universities are akin to all the other 'volume licensing' arrangements in that they work differently to either retail packaged Vista or OEM system builder packs, both of which are individual licenses. The install code will work for either installation media for ALL retail Vista varieties (including the Home Premium Academic Upgrade pack) and ALL OEM system builder packs.

No good trying to apply the same principle to corporate licensing distributions, Technet distributions, university distributions or anything else of the sort. Those are not unique individual perpetual licenses and the activation scenarios for them are quite different.
 
I just ordered the Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit DVD from MS just now.
Try the link below and see if that gets you what you need.

I just used the key from my retail upgrade Ultimate package during the ordering process.
https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/Va...-91cf-4ebc-8cea-05b9882e6941&LocaleCode=en-us

Thank you for ordering Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English Sup Direct DVD Fulfillment
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English Sup Direct DVD Fulfillment
Part # 66R-02596
1 $15.99 $15.99

Tax chargeable is based upon where you are shipping your order.
Subtotal $15.99
Shipping $0.00
Tax $0.80
Order Total $16.79
 
Well, I can say definitively that my Ultimate 32 student code does NOT work with Ultimate 64 :mad: My budget's shot to hell, too, so who knows when I'll actually be able to USE this machine :(

Guess I'll stop looking for a 64 disk now.:( Welcome back to the club:D
 
Kinda comical the way people keep raising same old same old over and over, starting debates all over again.

Yea, that's the point.
Some people insist that because it worked for THEIR key, that it will work for ALL keys.
I tried to point that out at the beginning, saying that I had an OEM key where it didn't work, so don't count on it working with a 'weird' key.
I think the MS upgrade site is actually pretty good in that sense. If it doesn't allow you to order other media based on your key, in many cases the other media will probably not work anyway.
 
Back
Top