Ordering Vista 64 From MS?

I don't believe the Academic license will work, but there's no harm in giving it a shot. You'll know once your put your key in, if it is accepted or not.

Just tired and no go. Hoping this wasn't the case and it was just me.

If I found a copy of Vista 64, could I make a copy and use my key to unlock it? Anyone tried that?

Anyone tried that?
Considering this might possibly be the most asked question, yeah people have tried it. ;)

Your license key works for a certain version of Vista, but for both platforms, x86 and x64. So, if your key is for Vista Business, for example, it will work for Vista Business x86 and Vista Business x64.

I wouldn't download one from a torrent website, but you could find a friend with the media, and use that, especially if it has SP1 included.

I ordered a 64-bit DVD from the website and they sent it to me....I bought my Vista Business from school for $10.

Considering this might possibly be the most asked question, yeah people have tried it. ;)
Yeah i asked that like I never read that on here before:(

I ordered a 64-bit DVD from the website and they sent it to me....I bought my Vista Business from school for $10.

So the website accepted your key code? Odd it won't accept mine, tried a couple of times.

OEM keys don't work on both versions. I'm not sure if academic keys are like that.
Retail keys do work on both versions. I bought the Vista Home Premium x86 upgrade, and then installed from my brothers x64 OEM disk with my key.
I also ordered the x64 media from MS just in case, but I didn't want to wait for it to arrive, so I tried installing with the DVD my brother already had, and that worked.

Academic licenses work. I got my Vista x64 SP1 DVD in the mail just recently. My school only had 32-bit DVDs, so I had to resort to this option (also, I wanted SP1 integrated on the disc itself).

Found this: "Academic licenses are only sold as Retail licenses anyway, there are no Academic OEM licenses."
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/934390.html

and this: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=34&threadid=2142090&enterthread=y

I'm sure you'll find that those links don't discuss the 'Academic' versions handed out at universities and other educational institutions. Those are actually Volume licensing arrangements, whereby Universities are authorused to make copies available to qualifying people under the provisions of the volume licensing arrangements they have.

Instead, those links refer to a Retail product - the 'Academic Upgrade Vista Home Premium' retail package, in the case of Vista. That'n is a retail product like any other retail license Vista, except that it carries purchase eligibility requirements (which vary from country to country in accordance with local laws) and a 'home and educational use only' provision of use in the license arrangement.

Here in Australia it's sold over the shelf without any questions asked, and the only effective restriction on use is that it's not authorised for use in commercial activities.

I'd just borrow and copy an x64 install disk and see if the install key works with it. Matter of fact that's just what I did, with my own Vista licenses. Copied both the 32-bit and the 64-bit disks, and only ever use the relevent copy to install any of my machines, entering whatever unstall code applies for each of them. But I've not checked it with an academic volume licensing thingy, because I don't have such a license.

Academic licenses work. I got my Vista x64 SP1 DVD in the mail just recently. My school only had 32-bit DVDs, so I had to resort to this option (also, I wanted SP1 integrated on the disc itself).

Same here situation here. I typed the key out till my chances expired. Then I used a OEM Vista home premium with the same outcomes.

Now looking for a copy of 64 to copy; if i can find one.

Now I'm worried. I guess if it doesn't work, I'll leave it 32bit on my old setup and go buy a 64 :( Luckily, it's only $10.

Now I'm worried. I guess if it doesn't work, I'll leave it 32bit on my old setup and go buy a 64 :( Luckily, it's only $10.

A young family member is currently in college, and they gave me a key that they weren't going to use (because the university gives them 2, for free*)

*actually, it's not free, it's rolled into the tuition somehow lol :p

But anyway, yeah, let me know if your's works! I have the 64bit media, but they key I have is for 32bit. It should work though... strange that it wouldn't.

I haven't tried it myself yet, because I'm still on XP (on my P4 system. gonna upgrade at the end of the year, probably).

edit: lol duh, I just tried the microsoft link....

My key is for ultimate, which it says automatically comes with the 64 bit version, so it only showed me a link for a 32bit.

Makes sense, I think.

edit again: tried the business edition key. no-go. it gave me this:

" We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
No Offer Found

Order Windows Vista SP1 Alternative Media
Microsoft is pleased to offer you a choice of media for Windows Vista.
Congratulations on upgrading to Windows Vista. The retail package product ships on DVD with 32-bit edition software. Two alternate forms of media (32-bit CD and 64-bit DVD) are available to help meet your specific requirements. Please provide the information requested below to request your alternate media. "

So, all this either means that:

A. Ultimate keys, no matter where from, will work with 32 and 64. Business/Enterprise will not (if from academia).

or

B. Ultimate won't work either (cause it only gave me the 32bit purchase link, not the 64. however, it said 64 was included with Ultimate edition. So, maybe they think I have it already or maybe it won't work. I don't know.)

I get 32-bit Vista Ultimate Upgrade from my school.

I installed Vista from a 64-bit retail disk with the school provided serial number. Every student gets a unique key.

I've tried to get a 64-bit disk from MS, but whenever I enter my key, the only option it gives is a 32-bit version on CD's

So, all this either means that:

A. Ultimate keys, no matter where from, will work with 32 and 64. Business/Enterprise will not (if from academia).

or

B. Ultimate won't work either (cause it only gave me the 32bit purchase link, not the 64. however, it said 64 was included with Ultimate edition. So, maybe they think I have it already or maybe it won't work. I don't know.)
I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to say here. when you say "will work" what do you mean?

Do you mean that the key "will work" for ordering an alternate install disk from Microsoft?
Do you mean that the key "will work" when trying to install with either the 32-bit or the 64-bit install disk?

I'm getting the impression, from some of the comments in this thread, that people might be think that their key "won't work" for performing a Windows install if they use the alternate install media, and if they are then that's simply not correct. Every Vista install key should work just fine irrespective of which install disk is used.

The retail package for Ultimate contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit DVD, both using the same key.
An OEM version contains only one DVD, and the key only works on that one, so you choose whether you want 32-bit or 64-bit in advance (usually shops only have 64-bit DVDs of OEM versions in stock, aside of course from the ones included in the Ultimate box).

An OEM version contains only one DVD, and the key only works on that one, so you choose whether you want 32-bit or 64-bit in advance..

That's not the experience of the many, many people who have reported that they've tried using their '32-bit OEM key' with a 64-bit install disk and found that it works just fine!

With OEM Vista you only get a license which covers one install or the other. That doesn't mean that the key won't actually work with the other.

There are only, basically, two Vista install disks. A 32-bit disk and a 64-bit disk. When you run the installer and enter your install key, that key number gets checked for 'allowable range' which determines:

• Upgrade or Full Install
  • Which Version of Vista
  • Retail or OEM licensing

But if it's an OEM licensing allowable range it doesn't somehow be all "Oh! Hang on a minute! This is OEM so which disk is being used and which disk did the bloke buy?" How the hell could it? Run off and check the sales invoice, maybe?

That's not the experience of the many, many people who have reported that they've tried using their '32-bit OEM key' with a 64-bit install disk and found that it works just fine!

With OEM Vista you only get a license which covers one install or the other. That doesn't mean that the key won't actually work with the other.

I tried and it didn't work for me. Now I'm not saying that everyone posting on the internet is a liar... oh wait, I am :)

But if it's an OEM licensing allowable range it doesn't somehow be all "Oh! Hang on a minute! This is OEM so which disk is being used and which disk did the bloke buy?" How the hell could it? Run off and check the sales invoice, maybe?

Simple, no?
If it can have ranges for things like Upgrade or Full install, and OEM or retail, it can also have ranges for 32-bit and 64-bit. Obviously it knows which media is inserted, because that's what you're installing from.
There are actually more ranges than the ones you mention. Corporate/volume licenses also work slightly differently (some won't require activation for example, and OEM is tied to your computer ID and can only be activated once, while a retail can be installed various times before you run out of activations and need to call in for reactivating your copy).

I tried and it didn't work for me. Now I'm not saying that everyone posting on the internet is a liar... oh wait, I am :)
Is there really a need for the "liar" comment? If it didn't work for you then it didn't work for you, but bear in mind that there are other possibilities here. If you used an OEM Home Premium or Ultimate key with a 64-bit install disk made from the image for Volume Licensing Vista Business, for example, it wouldn't work. Can't work, because that image isn't a complete Vista install disk image. On the other hand there shouldn't be a problem with using Volume licensing Vista Enterprose image or media, since that contains all the stuff necessary for Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate.

Install media pertaining to 'branded' OEM systems should be discounted from the equation too, of course. Those are inevitably customised installs. What "use a 64-bit Vista disk" should be interpreted as in the context of this discussion is the over-the-counter stand-alone Retail and OEM System Builder install media.

I haven't been following this stuff for a while now, and won't sit here calling ANYBODY a "liar". But I do know this, from what I've seen over time:

I've seen plenty of people say it WON'T work.
I've seen plenty of people who've reported that they tried it and it DID work.
Your post is the first time I've seen somebody say that they tried it and it DIDN'T work.

Simple, no?
If it can have ranges for things like Upgrade or Full install, and OEM or retail, it can also have ranges for 32-bit and 64-bit. Obviously it knows which media is inserted, because that's what you're installing from.
There are actually more ranges than the ones you mention. Corporate/volume licenses also work slightly differently (some won't require activation for example, and OEM is tied to your computer ID and can only be activated once, while a retail can be installed various times before you run out of activations and need to call in for reactivating your copy).

It's 'possible' that the key ranges accomodate 64-bit and 32-bit OEM. Anything's 'possible', after all. But that's not my understanding of how it actually does work, and the bulk of evidence I've seen suggests that it isn't.

As mentioned above, Volume Licensing is a whole different deal.

OEM installs, just like Retail installs, can be run out and activated as many times as the user wants! Automatic online activation will generally fail if the subsequent install is run out less than a set period of time after the initial install, but a toll-free call the the Activation Center soon fixes that and gets you manually activated. Retail License Vista installs can easily enough fail automatic activation too, and necessitate a call to Call Center to get the activation completed. There is no such thing as "run out of activations".

Is there really a need for the "liar" comment?

Yes, I think there is.
I think a lot of people on the internet these days are just talking crap. Two recent examples that I can think of are Alky's DX10 for XP and the PhysX-on-Radeon story.

Search on this forum, or various other ones, and you'll see tons of people talking about these things as if they actually work and they're running it themselves.
Now in the case of Alky, I said from the beginning it's never going to work, it's just too big a project to complete in any relevant timeframe (I'm an experienced D3D developer myself, I have a pretty good idea of the amount of work that needs to be done to make it work). When the first downloads became available, I gave it a try with some of my own DX10 code, and found out that I couldn't even get a textured cube spinning in Alky's DX10 wrapper. This wasn't a surprise to me. What surprised me was that most people apparently hadn't even bothered to try out the DX10 wrapper, yet were convinced that it worked and spread nonsense all over the internet.
Eventually the Alky project went bust, without any results whatsoever. Again, no surprise here.

With PhysX-on-Radeon it's the same thing all over. Nobody has actually SEEN it work, yet some people claim it's just fine and dandy, some even go as far as claiming it outperforms a GeForce.
Now I'm a bit more reserved about this project. Alky was obviously a hoax, because the goal could never be achieved. PhysX is a bit less ambitious of a project, but even so it's much too soon to expect any workable results. It will take months to get it running well enough to get software going (it took nVidia over half a year to get the first working PhysX release out of the door, and they had a fulltime team of professionals working on it).
So in this case, it *might* be possible, but the way it's presented is that it is already finished and you can just download it and run PhysX titles on your Radeon... Except there is no download... There aren't even screenshots or videos of the thing in action.

Back on topic. Quite a lot of people have downloaded an ISO off the net for their 64-bit installation media. Some of them downloaded cracked/pre-activated images. I've read one story where the guy tried to enter his key (Home Premium), it wasn't accepted, and he continued without a key... and when the installation was complete, he found that it was already activated (as Ultimate no less).
Do you count such cases as working?

As mentioned above, Volume Licensing is a whole different deal.

And as mentioned above, there are also various flavours of OEM licenses.

OEM installs, just like Retail installs, can be run out and activated as many times as the user wants! Automatic online activation will generally fail if the subsequent install is run out less than a set period of time after the initial install, but a toll-free call the the Activation Center soon fixes that and gets you manually activated. Retail License Vista installs can easily enough fail automatic activation too, and necessitate a call to Call Center to get the activation completed. There is no such thing as "run out of activations".

Yes there is such a thing. You can activate your copy a certain number of times (within a certain time period). For OEMs this is generally 1. For retail versions it varies.
Once you ran out, you can't activate, which is why you have to call in. The activation center will then RESET your activation counter, so you can activate again. So yes, you can indeed run out. Also, it is possible that the activation center denies your request for renewal of your activations. And then you've run out period.

Anyway, I'm not saying that there's no way it will work, but I am certainly not going to give any guarantees. I think everyone should be aware that they're taking a gamble trying this with an OEM version, and they might have to purchase a new license.

Yes, I think there is.
I think a lot of people on the internet these days are just talking crap.

Whilst I completely agree that a lot of people posting on the internet talk utter crap, I don't agree that the fact warrants calling people "liars".

Doing that is a gross insult, and doing it on the internet is, in my opinion, somewhat of an act of cowardice. That said face to face in a pub would be "Step outside and let's settle this!" material, and hiding behind anonymity on the internet to say it is rather weak. "Untrue" can be "mistaken" or "ignorant of the facts" just as easily as it can be "beliberate falsehood", and usually is!

I'm completely unconcerned about what's been said in relation to DX10 or PhysX, by the way. we're talking about OEM Vista here.

Back on topic. Quite a lot of people have downloaded an ISO off the net for their 64-bit installation media. Some of them downloaded cracked/pre-activated images. I've read one story where the guy tried to enter his key (Home Premium), it wasn't accepted, and he continued without a key... and when the installation was complete, he found that it was already activated (as Ultimate no less).
Do you count such cases as working?

Absolutely not! As mentioned in my earlier post, in the context of this discussion "Use a 64-bit install disk" should mean either the hologrammed installation media provided with a Vista Retail package or an OEM System Builder Pack, or a direct copy of one of those, or a disk burnt from an image made from one of those.

And as mentioned above, there are also various flavours of OEM licenses.
There are, basically, two scenarios which 'OEM Windows' covers:

The installation provided pre-installed on an OEM 'brand name' computer. It may or may not come accompanied with an actual Windows install disk, but usually comes with a custom disk image 'recovery' facility instead.
The 'OEM System builder Pack' which is a license intended to be used for the lifetime of a home built or 'corner shop' computer.

System builder Pack OEM used to come with the condition that ot could only be sold with a computer or in accompaniment with the components from which one could be built. Since the release of Vista that purchase eligibility restriction no longer applies, and OEM System Builder Vista packs can be sold as standalone items.

Yes there is such a thing. You can activate your copy a certain number of times (within a certain time period). For OEMs this is generally 1. For retail versions it varies.
Once you ran out, you can't activate, which is why you have to call in. The activation center will then RESET your activation counter, so you can activate again. So yes, you can indeed run out. Also, it is possible that the activation center denies your request for renewal of your activations. And then you've run out period.

Having to activate manually isn't a "Can't activate" scenario. It's a "Have to ring to activate" scenario. Goodness me, I've seen other software products where telephone activation was the only option made available, in times gone by! 'Activation counter' only relates to automatic activation. Of course the counter gets reset in manual activation. The 'automatic activation' facility isn't and can't be foolproof, and if it fails in circumstances where a valid install needs to be activation then that's why the telephone backup system is in place.

By the way. If the Call Center for some reason or other denies the request then that's "the end of it" only until you ring in next and try again successfully. If you don't be a goose and go offering all sorts of information you didn't get asked about and sounding all suspicious, you generally only get asked "Is this copy of Windows only on one PC?" Answer "Yes" to that and Bob's your uncle! :D

Whilst I completely agree that a lot of people posting on the internet talk utter crap, I don't agree that the fact warrants calling people "liars".

That's not what I said.
I'm talking about people who, in the face of facts, still insist.
In this case what they have said has already been proven wrong, and the fact that they still insists, means that they are deliberately spreading wrong information. I think the term "liar" covers that very well. I don't consider the truth an insult. If you feel insulted by someone pointing out something you've done, perhaps you should have thought about that before you did it. If you steal something, don't be surprised when someone calls you a thief, because that is what you are. You are responsible for your own actions. Which seems to be the problem with the internet. Quite a lot of people seem unable to deal with the lack of responsibility on an internet forum, blog or whatever else in a mature and respectable way. The atmosphere on your average forum is a whole lot more aggressive and a whole lot less friendly than your average pub.

Doing that is a gross insult, and doing it on the internet is, in my opinion, somewhat of an act of cowardice. That said face to face in a pub would be "Step outside and let's settle this!" material, and hiding behind anonymity on the internet to say it is rather weak.

It would only be weak if you were trying to hide behind a false identity, and wouldn't dare to say the same face-to-face.
Neither apply to me.
Funny is that I've never met anyone in person that was anywhere near as obnoxious or arrogant as some of these 'internet liars'. I think it's mostly them who are being cowards and think they're all that on the internet, but would be much more timid and insecure in real life.

Aside from that, the comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and accompanied by an emoticon to indicate such. I think you need to lighten up and develop a sense of humour.
Then again, you seem overly sensitive to this issue. Hmmm, I wonder... :)

Having to activate manually isn't a "Can't activate" scenario. It's a "Have to ring to activate" scenario. Goodness me, I've seen other software products where telephone activation was the only option made available, in times gone by! 'Activation counter' only relates to automatic activation. Of course the counter gets reset in manual activation. The 'automatic activation' facility isn't and can't be foolproof, and if it fails in circumstances where a valid install needs to be activation then that's why the telephone backup system is in place.

You say tomato, I say tomato.

Then again, you seem overly sensitive to this issue. Hmmm, I wonder... :)
Those who know me from when I was around here previously know that not much upsets me. That particular word, though, is one I despise. It's too much of a direct attack upon a person's honesty and integrity, even in the guise of jocularity.

You say tomato, I say tomato.
huh?

After a lecture about how people who continue to say stuff after it's been shown to be incorrect we get the "tom-ah-toh, tom-ay-toh' line?

"Can't activate" means "can't activate". It doesn't mean "can only activate the other way!"

wow, I leave for the night, and the discussion gets rather heated....

can't leave you kids alone for 5 minutes? lol :p

no, but seriously...

When I used my Ultimate edition key on that website (from the first post of this thread) it did not give me a link to purchase the 64bit DVD media. It only gave me a link to purchase the 32bit CD media.

The business/enterprise key which I entered did not work at all. (in other words, I was not allowed to purchase any additional installation media)

Both keys (ultimate and the business edition) are valid and legal, through a University student-software purchase agreement.

(However, they are obtained through the university's web-purchase interface and not by physical means. each student at the university is given 2 Ultimate keys, and 1 key that will work with Business/Enterprise edition. The links to the downloadable 32bit media are also provided on this academic site)

Is this now more clear?

huh?

After a lecture about how people who continue to say stuff after it's been shown to be incorrect we get the "tom-ah-toh, tom-ay-toh' line?

"Can't activate" means "can't activate". It doesn't mean "can only activate the other way!"

That one seemed to go way over your head.
What you're saying is only different from what I'm saying in the sense that you assume that there are multiple ways to activate a copy of Windows, namely automatic and manual.
I assume that there is only one way a copy can be activated. Once this fails, a manual action is required in order to enable activation again.
These are just 'tomato' details. Apparently your definition of 'activation' is viewed from the user (can he do it automatically, or does he need to call in), while mine is more literally the activation of Windows: bringing Windows from the non-activated to the activated state. There is only one such state, how you get there doesn't matter to Windows. Windows doesn't say "I was manually activated by the call center" or "I was activated online". So from my point of view there is no 'other way' to activate Windows.
A more direct, technical view of the situation: Windows generates a hash of your PC's status, key and other various factors. This hash is sent to the Windows administration service, either over the internet, or by entering it via the automated phone service.
The response is either an activation code or a refusal of the administration service to activate for whatever reason. When activating over the internet, the activation is processed by Windows automatically. When activating over the phone, the computer reads out the activation code and you will enter it manually. The net result is the same: On a correct activation code, Windows goes to the activated status. On failure, you are redirected to a call center employee for further instructions.

On the whole it doesn't really matter, bottom line is that you need to call in if you can't activate online. And there is a difference between when you can and cannot activate online (or even what triggers the need to reactivate the copy) with the various versions of Windows and its licenses. Since we seem to agree on this, the rest is 'tomato' as far as I'm concerned, and I saw no need to discuss it any further. Apparently you did, so there it is.

I did the same thing, it worked perfectly.

That one seemed to go way over your head.
No, not at all.
What you're saying is only different from what I'm saying in the sense that you assume that there are multiple ways to activate a copy of Windows, namely automatic and manual.
There are. Activation can be achieved either way.
I assume that there is only one way a copy can be activated.
Effectively, there is. Same thing happens irrespective of whether you get the activation code generated and entered automatically or manually. An activation code transforms the Windows installation from unactivated to activated status.

On failure, you are redirected to a call center employee for further instructions.
Further instructions, eh?

Dance around the description of it all you like but I certainly don't need "instructions". Done it all too many times and know the procedures inside out. When I call in to correct the automatic activation error all I need is the activation code which activates the install and resets the error flag.

The most recent time I did it was to address a situation whereby the 'automated' process erroneously spat up a "Key already in use" error. 'Erroneously' because the key was already in use on the machine I was activating. Gotta love those 'automated' procedures, don't you? They stuff up more often than they work.

Of course I adopt a 'user' perspective. The object of the exercise isn't to achieve successful completion of the automated procedure. Couldn't care less what 'procedure' is followed. The object of the exercise is to get the install activated!

On the whole it doesn't really matter, bottom line is that you need to call in if you can't activate online.
Amen to that. I kinda thought it's what I said to start with :D

There are. Activation can be achieved either way.

In your frame of reference, yes. In my frame of reference, no.
The difference is that you don't seem to acknowledge the existence of alternative frames of reference.

Dance around the description of it all you like but I certainly don't need "instructions". Done it all too many times and know the procedures inside out. When I call in to correct the automatic activation error all I need is the activation code which activates the install and resets the error flag.

The most recent time I did it was to address a situation whereby the 'automated' process erroneously spat up a "Key already in use" error. 'Erroneously' because the key was already in use on the machine I was activating. Gotta love those 'automated' procedures, don't you? They stuff up more often than they work.

I have gone through activation by phone on two accounts.
On the first account, I had installed my system, but was unable to access the internet and as such had to do activation by phone.
In this case, I called the number, typed in the code on my screen, and an activation code was spat out by the computer on the other end immediately. So there never was any human contact. It's basically the same as the online activation, except you use a phone rather than a socket connection to exchange information.

The second time I had reinstalled a computer with the same OEM system builder copy as before, after I had to replace the harddrive because of a failure. In this case I typed in the activation code by phone, but it was not accepted by the system, and I was transferred to human contact. I was asked why I had to reactivate this copy, so I answered that I had to replace the harddisk and as such reinstall Windows. He accepted this explanation, reset the activation, and transferred me back to the system, which now spat out a working activation code. I thought 'further instructions' was slightly shorter than this story, and I also fail to see the relevance of the story.

Of course I adopt a 'user' perspective. The object of the exercise isn't to achieve successful completion of the automated procedure. Couldn't care less what 'procedure' is followed. The object of the exercise is to get the install activated!

As a user, yes. But I'm a developer. As such, I have a different frame of reference, I see different levels of abstraction.
You seem to deny the validity of my existence.

Amen to that. I kinda thought it's what I said to start with :D

Well, I did say 'tomato', but you insisted on arguing.

I did the same thing, it worked perfectly.

I'm glad to hear that you guys were able to order the 64-bit media using your keys.

I, however, am not able to. It will NOT give me a choice to order it.

However, I already have 64bit media (downloaded the .iso, which is not "bad," because I have legal key(s). let's not argue over this point, please. it's the .iso from MSDN, described here:
http://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs...indows-vista-sp1-x64-full-dvd-integrated.aspx)

So, the only way to tell whether or not my key(s) will be able to activate the 64bit version, is to install it, I suppose. Can I just start the installation, enter the key, and cancel it? (without having to format any drives, or install anything? I ask this, because I have never installed Vista and I am not familiar with its installation process.)

I'm not ready to install it yet lol. I need to upgrade my computer first!!

I don't see any reason why it won't work. The only reason I have a doubt, is because the website in the first post of this thread will only allow me to download a 32bit CD version, instead of a 64bit DVD version, with my legal, valid, academic (via website) obtained Ultimate edition key.

edit:

perhaps, this has something to do with a VLK vs. MAK issue. (but I'm more inclined to think that it's just a limitation of the specific keys obtained from the university)

Here is some reading.... http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx

Forgive me if I'm not as familiar with the way Vista activation works as most of you are. It is very different than XP, apparently.

edit 2:

Okay guys, I figured it out.

see this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/volumelicensekey/default.mspx

from the link:

Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Multiple Activation Key (MAK) and/or Windows Vista Key Management Service (KMS)

Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows Vista Ultimate is offered as a Software Assurance benefit. After the benefit is activated, you can receive Windows Vista Ultimate retail media and request product keys by calling the Software Assurance Benefits Call Center.

so, bottom line:

You have to activate your Ultimate edition in order to be able to order 64bit media from Microsoft (from the website in the first post).

The key will probably work if you already have the media.

edit again:

no, I think I'm confused. Perhaps that's not right..... I don't think that last link is what I thought it was....

sigh.

fuck it, I'm just going to burn the fucking 64bit DVD iso, and try to install it with my Ultimate key. If it doesn't work, I'll let you guys know. Hopefully I can do it without continuing the full install, because I don't want to install this yet.

Fucking microsoft bullshit... jesus christ.....

fuck it, here's a new post. that post was getting too long.

I'm going to test the installation of the 64bit media with my Ultimate key.

However, I don't have a 64bit system (yet), so it probably won't even let me get far enough to see if the key is valid. (or maybe it will- who knows. I've never installed vista)

a;slfdj;lsakjfd;lksajfd;laksjd;flajd;lfksadj;j;lksafj

I doubt you'll get far enough to input a key anyway, unless you have an x64 compatible processor. Nice Family Guy themed sig, though.

fuck it, here's a new post. that post was getting too long.

I'm going to test the installation of the 64bit media with my Ultimate key.

However, I don't have a 64bit system (yet), so it probably won't even let me get far enough to see if the key is valid. (or maybe it will- who knows. I've never installed vista)

a;slfdj;lsakjfd;lksajfd;laksjd;flajd;lfksadj;j;lksafj

Simply put, every key is usable for both x86 AND x64. Once you have a system that is capable to utilize x64, you may choose to use the x64 version freely.

I doubt you'll get far enough to input a key anyway, unless you have an x64 compatible processor. Nice Family Guy themed sig, though.

yeah, I figured as much. oh well.

lol yeah, you like that? I love that freakin show.

I need to upgrade, but the nehalemememem madness is happening, gotta wait and see about prices, yada yada, etc, etc.

You won't get far enough. If it runs true to form with what x64 XP did you'll simply get an error message saying "This version of Windows cannot be installed on this machine".

It is not allowed to have both the x86 and x64 version activated at the same time, by the way. Not even when they are on the same PC (and as such can not be used at the same time). I specifically checked this with Microsoft back when I installed mine, because I wanted to install the 32-bit version as a fallback. But in retrospect there was absolutely no need for that.
It does pay off to keep a copy of XP around though :)

That would be correct. Vista's EULA supports that all of the way...

Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may use only one version at one time.

That would be correct. Vista's EULA supports that all of the way...

Yes, but that's the thing with 'at one time'.
If I install both on the same machine, I can only boot into one at a time. The problem there is that they both need to be activated, and the Microsoft employee told me that that's where the problem lies: Even though technically the EULA would allow it, the activation scheme is not built to support it.

Back