• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Opteron 165 @ 2.8ghz

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Messages
9,925
Alright guys i just finished building my new computer over the weekend, with new water cooling setup Thermaltake BigWater 745 + New Case Ultra Aluminus + New 7900GT.

Specs:

Opteron 165 @ 2.8GHZ
MSI NEO4 PLatinum SLI Motherboard.
2GIG OCZ Diamond PC4000 @500mhz
EVGA 7900GT @ 600 / 1800
24" Dell Ultra Sharp LCD
Thermaltake BigWater 745
400GB RAID 0
16X Dual Layer DVD Writer
16X Dual Layer DVD Writer
ATI HDTV Wonder
Bose Accoustic Surround Sound Home Theater System.
Sony Digital Cienma Sound Processing System 32Bit.
Sunbeam Fan Controller.
Ultra Flexconnect 500Watts Power Supply


Idle 28C
Overclock284.jpg


Load 35C

Opteron165.jpg
 
Nice OC...I had that board and hated it :), but glad to see it's working well for you.
 
I've got my Opteron 165 at 2.250Ghz at default voltage, yet my load temps are 53-56 degrees. What's going on?? Ninja CPU cooler & Nexus 1100rpm 120mm fan. Oh yeah and AC5.

I touch the heatpipes, and they're barely even warm. Using Speedfan - could it be reporting it wrong?

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong - Everest sensor says Mobo 53 degrees, CPU 38 degrees - mobo hotter than cpu??
 
On the Lam said:
I've got my Opteron 165 at 2.250Ghz at default voltage, yet my load temps are 53-56 degrees. What's going on?? Ninja CPU cooler & Nexus 1100rpm 120mm fan.
Try reseating the heatsink, & thermal paste check.
 
Bastard. I have my 165 at 2.5. Going past 2.6 results in Game and windows crashes.
 
F the overclock(j/k really) but how do u have MAC+WINDOWS? looks cool please tell.
 
Do we really need to get into the whole 1/2 3/8" debate. That kit is a nice setup and you can get it for about 155$ shipped which will match and swifty kit out there. Nice clocks and nice setup. Why not W/C the GPU? :D
 
Vengance_01 said:
Do we really need to get into the whole 1/2 3/8" debate. That kit is a nice setup and you can get it for about 155$ shipped which will match and swifty kit out there. Nice clocks and nice setup. Why not W/C the GPU? :D


It is expensive $44 at least for Maze4, and there is nothing more you can get out of 7900GT what i already have with this After Market Cooler.

You can find it as VC-RHC in google, i bought it from newegg for $22 shipped
ever5107.jpg
 
tvdang7 said:
F the overclock(j/k really) but how do u have MAC+WINDOWS? looks cool please tell.

It called "YZDOCK" and you can find it on torrent or any other P2P. Excellent stuff there are hundreds of orb looking icons in there very nice.
 
annaconda said:
Is any body able to go above 2.8GHZ with Opteron 165?
If you mean whether my 165 has a higher clock period than yours, yes (1/ [2.25*10^9] at the moment) :D ;)
 
drizzt81 said:
If you mean whether my 165 has a higher clock period than yours, yes (1/ [2.25*10^9] at the moment) :D ;)


No i just wanna know that what is the highest i can go, and what setting should i use? Is is save to jump for another 100mhz or it is impossible?

And is there is any body any where able to pass 2.8GHZ or 3GHZ, because i could not find any one even with 2.8GHZ. Is it just me the lucky one :D
 
annaconda said:
Is any body able to go above 2.8GHZ with Opteron 165?


Who needs that for everyday use tho. I'm at 2.4ghz and games are very very fast
 
annaconda said:
No i just wanna know that what is the highest i can go, and what setting should i use? Is is save to jump for another 100mhz or it is impossible?

And is there is any body any where able to pass 2.8GHZ or 3GHZ, because i could not find any one even with 2.8GHZ. Is it just me the lucky one :D

Just keep bumping it and see where your Prime95 errors out...bump your voltage as needed (pending temps). I probably wouldn't do over 1.55V though.
 
kirbyrj said:
Just keep bumping it and see where your Prime95 errors out...bump your voltage as needed (pending temps). I probably wouldn't do over 1.55V though.


Right now i am at max volt MSI can offer 1.5v, so i don;t have any other option except to use windows base software to up my voltage.
 
I have mine at 2.7; at 2.8 core 0 is fine but core 1 has some problems with Prime. I'm using a SI-120 with a medium speed Panaflo. As it stands, the fan is about 1/4" off the side of my case and I could probably get to 2.8 if I cut a hole in the side for some fresh air, maybe used a faster fan, and played around with the voltage (to strike a balance between adequate voltage and temperature). 2.7 gives me a nice, round number so I haven't tried anything between 2.7 and 2.8.
 
annaconda said:
Right now i am at max volt MSI can offer 1.5v, so i don;t have any other option except to use windows base software to up my voltage.

What does ClockGen give you with that board? The reason I got rid of it was because I had to do everything using ClockGen or it wouldn't boot.
 
I did not tried Clockgen, i think it is better to be safe then burning my processor. I think 2.8GHZ is enough. :)
 
I have had my Opteron 165 as high a 3025MHz, but not "stable" I am writing a small item about the relativity of Stability. But what I consider stable (will run weeks to months without fault) is probably 2900 MHz for my chip. I have actually reached the point (1.61 v) where more voltage actually seems to be making it less stable. My stable point seems to be 2.9Ghz, 44C, 1.58v (indicated on smart guardian). I have a worklog on this project under "Mission Impossible"
 
gulp35 said:
I have had my Opteron 165 as high a 3025MHz, but not "stable" I am writing a small item about the relativity of Stability. But what I consider stable (will run weeks to months without fault) is probably 2900 MHz for my chip. I have actually reached the point (1.61 v) where more voltage actually seems to be making it less stable. My stable point seems to be 2.9Ghz, 44C, 1.58v (indicated on smart guardian). I have a worklog on this project under "Mission Impossible"

Can you put the picture of it running at 2.9GHZ, my problem is the limitation of CPU VCORE options, i cannot go above 1.5V. So mine is rock solid stable at 2.8GHZ as you saw in the pictures. I can run Sandra Burn in wizard for hours and it will not crash.
 
I ran it on prime during initial testing, but switched over to "just" folding on FAH a while back...FAH seems as rigourous as anything.

I am about to leave on a small vacation (Spring break), so I will post a picture of it running at 2900 when I return (in fact, I am leaving it on running it at 2.9 while I am gone). I have actually dropped the voltage to 1.56 now...and it has run happy the last 36 hours folding at 100%
 
Not a dual core but a 150 system i built for someone stayed at 3.3Ghz{275 X 12} for 18 hours before i upped the bus. Currently at 3.6Ghz{300 X 12} for 3 hours straight
 
Nice overclock.

For those of you who are getting horny from this OC, you really need to get out more and find yourself a nice lady! :D
 
Back
Top